the great man - harves

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

the great man - harves

I just hope that if harves doesn't get the job it is handled well and there is no fall out with the club or any bad vibes.

I know it sounds unlikely but this is the saints remember.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Yes, it's a quandry Con. I can't understand why he went for the job at this early stage of his career. It's a big personal risk, with everything to lose.

The Club will no doubt look after his interests from a PR point of view. After-all, he is still a Saints Legend. The big question then is, what will the new Coach do? In the current circumstances, if not appointed, I can't see him being dropped for next year at least.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Yes, it's a quandry Con. I can't understand why he went for the job at this early stage of his career. It's a big personal risk, with everything to lose.

The Club will no doubt look after his interests from a PR point of view. After-all, he is still a Saints Legend. The big question then is, what will the new Coach do? In the current circumstances, if not appointed, I can't see him being dropped for next year at least.
Harves may well be throwing his hat into the ring purely for the experience.

Afterall, not many coaches get appointed at their first go. If he's serious about pursuing a career as a senior coach it's essential he gets experience of the application process.

If that's the case there need not be too much fallout if and when he's unsuccessful.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:Yes, it's a quandry Con. I can't understand why he went for the job at this early stage of his career. It's a big personal risk, with everything to lose.

Afterall, not many coaches get appointed at their first go. If he's serious about pursuing a career as a senior coach it's essential he gets experience of the application process.

If that's the case there need not be too much fallout if and when he's unsuccessful.
Very strange thoughts there Dr S. Seems to me that applying for the Saints job is like rehearsing in front of your family, not really going to get an objective opinion of your performance.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

No one wants him to get hurt

we just hope he knows what he's in for

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I loved Harves as a player. As a coach? well I'm of the opinion that he's a wee bit inexperienced to take on this one. As far as him "not getting hurt", well it's time that we dropped sentiment when making a decision like this. If Harves has put in for an interview, then he has to be judged on what he presents to the panel, and his ideas for taking the club forward. If He is unsuccessful then he will have to cop it sweet, as will the rest of us!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

There is only two or three players ever that had more experience on the field than Harvs. That has to be taken into account too. Plus how many coaches did he play under?
I will not be upset if he gets the job and neither should anyone else.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:There is only two or three players ever that had more experience on the field than Harvs. That has to be taken into account too. Plus how many coaches did he play under?
He played under more coaches than you can shake a stick at, doesn't mean he can coach. I doubt he has the tactical nouse to be a head coach. Great development coach for the kids.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

He may well get the arse when a new coach comes in anyway, they often want to pick their own assistants…

I'm with you Doctor, could well be using it as experience without really thinking he has much chance… I personally think he hasn't done a long enough apprenticeship yet, but wouldn't be upset if he is our man.

He's one guy who isn't going to walk out on us anyway…

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
borderbarry wrote:There is only two or three players ever that had more experience on the field than Harvs. That has to be taken into account too. Plus how many coaches did he play under?
He played under more coaches than you can shake a stick at, doesn't mean he can coach. I doubt he has the tactical nouse to be a head coach. Great development coach for the kids.
agree.

I know the usual will sprout.... "how would we know....we aint in inner sanctum.." etc etc but everytime I hear him speak he doesnt fill me with "Ive got this tactical ability down pat...."

“Yeah….nah””
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

i just hope he's making the call based on his own sense of what his strengths and capabilities are rather than what a bunch of yes men blowing wind up his skirt
and yes jiggster, I dont want to see him falter and fail and go through what Doc went through, just because he's a club legend

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Very strange thoughts there Dr S.
Thanks Bernard.

It would be a rather boring world if we all thought the same way :)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Very strange thoughts there Dr S.
Thanks Bernard.

It would be a rather boring world if we all thought the same way :)
It would indeed.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You reckon harves.....who is the best midielder of the past 25 years in three eras of footy... And has been a coach since retirement... Doesnt know a thing or two about tactics....dear me....

His leadership would be the query.....always been a quiet unassuming humble team man.... Will he succeed in an industry that rewards psychopathy???

elizabethr
Club Player

He is no chance IMO.

nothing to say
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:You reckon harves.....who is the best midielder of the past 25 years in three eras of footy... And has been a coach since retirement... Doesnt know a thing or two about tactics....dear me....

His leadership would be the query.....always been a quiet unassuming humble team man.... Will he succeed in an industry that rewards psychopathy???
I reckon Tim Watson knew tactics. By his own admission he cant coach. the two arent the same thing.

“Yeah….nah””
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hence the second part of the post....

Watson had issue with getting respect of his players....

Ross who?
Club Player

Have inside info from someone at the club that Banger probably doesn't have the ....mongrel? in him to be a senior coach. However also said that every player on the list has an enormous amount of respect for him as an AFL legend and that when he spoke everyone listened.
Make of it what you will....

Blake Acres fan club VIP
andolater

I dont question Harvey's experience, determination and football PLAYING knowledge but after reading his book I have big reservations about his intelligence levels for coaching a team at the highest level.

I really think Harvey is best suited to a minor coaching role, especially helping influence the youngsters coming through the ranks who once ( and still would ) looked up to him as a great playing role model.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

hats off to him for throwing his hat into the ring

things can't be all bad down at the Saints

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
howlinwolf
Club Player

Ross who? wrote:Have inside info from someone at the club that Banger probably doesn't have the ....mongrel? in him to be a senior coach. However also said that every player on the list has an enormous amount of respect for him as an AFL legend and that when he spoke everyone listened.
Make of it what you will....
This is exactly how I would have summed it up. My wife,daughter and I spoke to him for an hour years ago and we very impressed in his down to
earth way of talking to just anybodies.
In complete contrast to the arrogant and holier than thou attitude we got from Ken Hinkley while buying a car just prior.
One may have thought Sir Ken was the one with the two Brownlows !

I don't think he is a chance and I'm happy for it to stay that way. Most
coaching appointments end the same way.. a hatchet in the back or an
unworkable relationship.
Even the trail blazing new concept at the filth didn't end up peaches and cream.

I don't want that to ever happen to Harves. He is a club legend. A humble,well respected person and should always be revered.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Does a senior coach require mongrel.....is that to help with the contested tactics

Dave Robicheaux
Club Player

Just dont think Harvey has (ATM) the experience to deal with a club like ours y'all

Y'all better blow it off now
stinger
Saintsational Legend

that's what the said about jeans...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dave Robicheaux
Club Player

"the"? the "who"?

Y'all better blow it off now