Cmon lets have ago

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

luc1966
Club Player

Cmon lets have ago

B Dempster Dawson Gwilt
HB Winmar Fisher Dal Santo
C Milera Hayes Montagna
HF Goddard Riewoldt Shneider
FF gilbert Kosi Milne
R Mcavoy Steven Jones
Saad, Ray, Armatage, cripps

emg Raph, Ledger, Geary

Resons Gone with NDS and Winmar accross half back hopefully to set up some play maybe swap nds with goddard and thought lets give cuz ago.
Why not give Milera the wing spot run boy run
Gilbert hmm i set up my b line up and forgot bout him have a run up forward if has to go back winmar to bench Saad into fp.
Obviously Kosi to swap in ruck maybe Sippos should start on the pine
Thoughts

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cmon lets have ago

luc1966 wrote:Thoughts
How raph made it onto the emergency list i will never know.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
BelfastSaint
Club Player

St Kilda Clap Clap Clap : )

SaintSimmo
Club Player

B Dempster Dawson Simpkin
HB Cripps Fisher Gilbert
C Goddard Hayes Montagna
HF Siposs Riewoldt Schneider
FF Saad Kosi Milne
R McEvoy Steven Dal Santo
INT Jones, Armitage, Gram
SUB Ledger/Milera

EMG Ray/Peake, Geary, Stanley

Others:
Milera - may play a few games as the sub
Gwilt - Will be injured till about round 14
Crocker - Will need to have a big pre season in the gym to be a regular
Peake - Can not find a spot for him or farren, however im sure at least 1 will play
Blake - Will find it hard to get a regular game baring injuries
Winmar - need to seem more of him that shows he warrants a spot
Raph - :shock:

I reckon that is a decent balance of young kids, Simpkin, Cripps, Siposs and Ledger/Milera as the sub.
Would consider Saad as a mature player (at 22?)
However, i feel i may have 1 too many mids in that team

I would be worried if i was Schneider, Gram, Jones, Kosi.
As they will be under alot pressure to keep their with players like Peake, Ray, Milera, Ledger, Geary, Stanley, Winmar and Raph not in the side.

My 2 cents :D :D

Sainter for life.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:B Dempster Dawson Simpkin
HB Cripps Fisher Gilbert
C Goddard Hayes Montagna
HF Siposs Riewoldt Schneider
FF Saad Kosi Milne
SUB Ledger/Milera

EMG Ray/Peake, Geary, Stanley

Others:
Milera - may play a few games as the sub
Gwilt - Will be injured till about round 14
Crocker - Will need to have a big pre season in the gym to be a regular
Peake - Can not find a spot for him or farren, however im sure at least 1 will play
Blake - Will find it hard to get a regular game baring injuries
Winmar - need to seem more of him that shows he warrants a spot
Raph - :shock:

I reckon that is a decent balance of young kids, Simpkin, Cripps, Siposs and Ledger/Milera as the sub.
Would consider Saad as a mature player (at 22?)
However, i feel i may have 1 too many mids in that team

I would be worried if i was Schneider, Gram, Jones, Kosi.
As they will be under alot pressure to keep their with players like Peake, Ray, Milera, Ledger, Geary, Stanley, Winmar and Raph not in the side.

My 2 cents :D :D
At least the new coach won't start with any favourites.

Harvey, as much as I would trust him to be totally professional, has got long standing relationships with a few of the players.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote: At least the new coach won't start with any favourites.

Harvey, as much as I would trust him to be totally professional, has got long standing relationships with a few of the players.
I agree..... I'd like to see a policy where we drop the worst performed 'senior' and bring in the best performed 'reserve' each week.... make everyone earn their spot.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:

I agree..... I'd like to see a policy where we drop the worst performed 'senior' and bring in the best performed 'reserve' each week.... make everyone earn their spot.
Some guys deserve credits though. You cant just change the side every week because a couple of guys were down for a week or two.

SaintWal
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
BakesFan wrote:

Some guys deserve credits though. You cant just change the side every week because a couple of guys were down for a week or two.
Agreed Plugger, the flip side is that the kids also need time to prove themselves. 1 or 2 week flip flopping of guys is ala Terry Wallace at Richmond and now RL in 2010.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
BakesFan wrote:

That's true, plugger.... but's what wrong with a bloke who has had a dog of a game going back to the seconds to regain a bit of hunger and confidence?...... even Rooey would benefit from a 30+possession/5+ goals game at Sandy

BakesFan
SS Life Member

no easy answers...... but if the boys know that their selection is based on form... it does add additional hunger into the mix.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I've never been into dream teams and all that supercoach bizzo, but I'll tell you what I reckon the Saints should be doing as far as the line-up for 2012 goes after a quick revisit to Round 1 2011.

We started off this year against Geelong with a similar line-up to last years (if not identical to the finals line-up of 2010) side and the coach and his selection committee thought they had a really strong line-up and in hindsight you'd say they were banking on a win. The team went at it hard and we were disappointed to lose in the end by a kick. The game was a dour struggle with 'Saints Footy' and intense pressure from both sides yeilding a poultry 6 goals each for the sides...Ross's plan backfired and you'd have to say that tactically, if you pick your best 22 - or what you deem to be the best 22 - and you don't win...where do you go from there??

I reckon with the disappointment of getting smacked in the GF replay it was the perfect opportunity in Rnd 1 for Ross to try the youngsters in the early rounds, but nooooooo!! What did he do? He went for Gamble against his old side and the only other change he went for was Armo ( and rightly so after Armo had earnt his spot and was very unlucky not to have played in the finals of 2010). Ross lacked creativity, flair and the courage to go with youth. What a boring uninspiring coach.

Next year, the template from Geelong is to make sure that the youngsters get game time, and at the same time you keep your stars fresh. Sort of like the million dollar racehorses who are timed to perfection to be at their peak in Spring. We need to keep Roo and Milne and Kosi and Chips a bit hungry too. Rest them when they don't want to be rested. Have faith in the team ethos and work ethic and team structures and instill confidence in any bloke that is selected to play in the seniors. The leadership group need to play a vital role here. I want to see us play 35-38 players throughout the year.

I want to see at least 5 players get a shot in each of the backlines, forward lines, centres and mids. I want blokes to be versatile and have some experience at playing both ends. Blokes that are confident no-matter where they are on the footy field. Obviously you'll get MaCevoy and Jones, Ray, and even the new kid like Saad that may only be suited to one position, but I reckon we need to inject something new and get some variety into some of the players roles. NDS no doubt deserves to be in the middle and working to win the footy or receive and dish it out - we can't afford not to have out there, but he needs just as much protection as Judd gets and we need to be ruthless helping to give him space when he's got the ball. Lendog when he's right will also just play centre, but the load needs to be shared a lot more and I reckon Armo will excel next year and BJ will be a more consistent contributor than he has been. BJ will be in all positions and he could even play as CHF at times with Roo as a wingman.

I like Kosi at FF and I'd like his skill and pack-crashing energy not wasted on rucking too much all round the ground. The other thing that irritates me, and cheeses off most of us, is seeing bolkes like Kossi or say some of the mids having to rotate off the bench half a dozen times in a quarter...I mean seriously - what a waste of energy sprinting 100 mtres to get off and then another 100 mtres to get back on and into position. Get Rhys into the side to work and run and help Macca in this role, with Blakey (if he's around) to be third man up when needed. Anyway...theres some thoughts for you :)

noreason41
Club Player

BakesFan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BakesFan wrote:

That's true, plugger.... but's what wrong with a bloke who has had a dog of a game going back to the seconds to regain a bit of hunger and confidence?...... even Rooey would benefit from a 30+possession/5+ goals game at Sandy
Their is a fair bit wrong.

How are you going to regain confidence by being dropped from the 1st team?
Dropping a senior player to the reserves team and elevating a kid, doesn't exactly give confidence does it?

What about injuries? It's one thing to lose Roo to a season ending injury during an AFL game, but to have that happen in a VFL game that means nothing to the Saints...

And then, what's the guarantee Rooey would get 30+ possessions and 5+ goals? What if he had a poor game?

So simplistic to expect that if you drop Roo, or another senior player, they would tear it up in the 2nds and all of a sudden have a massive surge in confidence from the fact they played 1 decent game, assuming they even play decent.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

seemed to work okay with Dal...he's been consistently amongst the best since he got a run in the Magoos.

oldie60
Club Player

B Dempster Dawson Simpkin
HB Cripps Fisher Gilbert
C Goddard Hayes Montagna
HF Riewoldt Stanley Schneider
FF Saad Kosi Milne
SUB Ledger/Milera

EMG Ray/Peake, Geary, Siposs

I would like to see a triple pronged attack similar to when G train played and by playing Roo on a Half Forward flank you create an immediate mismatch with the running back defender and Roo has the endurance and height to create discomfort for opposition sides. You could also rotate every ten minutes by moving Kosi Roo, Stanley and occasionally Goddard with Rooey to unbalance sides for short burst which is something RL never tried.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BakesFan wrote:

errm...no.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bennymac5
Club Player

Dempster Dawson Gram
Gilbert Simpkin Fisher
Montagna Armitage Goddard
Schneider Stanley Sipposs
Milne Riewoldt Saad
McEvoy Hayes Dal Santo
Steven Jones Ledger
Sub: Cripps
Noticeable inclusions are Simpkin in for Blake. Simpkin was quite solid in his two senior games and was clearly solid in the VFL. I think he is ready to take the second tall. Also Stanley in for Kosi, this is purely on age difference and how Watters has spoken of him several times. Can also play pinch hitting ruckmen role. Then the likes of Cripps, Sipposs, Ledger and Saad which are reasonably self explanatory.