VFL watchers -Rhys Stanley?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Kate
Club Player

VFL watchers -Rhys Stanley?

I was wondering if any of the hardcore VFL observers could offer some insight into Rhys Stanley's Development?

I know he had few injury niggles last year. Is he going to be a genuine tall option for us going forward? What roles do you see him in?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

in affect Rhys Missed most of the year only played a couple of games- hamstrings I beleive..

so would need to think back to the year before when he did quite well.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Kate
Club Player

:( Hopefully not another Jason Cripps then.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Did not look fit at all last year.....at times looked disinterested

Did not impose himself on any VFL games and only did OK or worse.....almost similar to Barry Brookes was when he played.....no presence, but talent...

Funny thing is, he looked very slow

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Did not look fit at all last year.....at times looked disinterested

Did not impose himself on any VFL games and only did OK or worse.....almost similar to Barry Brookes was when he played.....no presence, but talent...

Funny thing is, he looked very slow
Sounds like a dud.

Maybe should be delisted eh?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

NO - far too talented

Needs a rocket clean up his arse......

Kate
Club Player

Not good. Fingers crossed that a new look coaching/development team will instill a bit of passion and excitement into the up and comers.

There's definitely going to be some new spots up for grabs in the seniors, and I'd love to see some of the kids work their backsides off to make a claim.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:NO - far too talented

Needs a rocket clean up his arse......
I was that Brisbane game when he played and sitting right behind him.
Man he was disinterested that night for whatever reason. Did not even go for the ball.

I thought he was good in 2010 when Roo was injured.

Lets see how he goes under a new coach. Definitely a crucial year for him coming up.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Could he have been dispirited after the pre season business, thinking he got dealt with harshly?

ChelseaGuy
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Could he have been dispirited after the pre season business, thinking he got dealt with harshly?
Hopefully not -- he broke team rules -- seem to recall that jack stevens was on that list as well. Seems to have dealt with it and moved on.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Maybe he isn't a forward?

jays
Club Player

average

savatage
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Could he have been dispirited after the pre season business, thinking he got dealt with harshly?
Definitely was...and for the other poster...yes Jack Steven did get over it - but he & his family were mighty pissed off with the was he was treated after the incident.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
Definitely was...and for the other poster...yes Jack Steven did get over it - but he & his family were mighty pissed off with the was he was treated after the incident.
yep. lyon could have dealt with it better.
but he stuck to his "tough love" policy for anyone with any talent under the age of 25.

i believe in stanley. those writing him off are WAY too premature.

savatage
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
savatage wrote:
yep. lyon could have dealt with it better.
but he stuck to his "tough love" policy for anyone with any talent under the age of 25.

i believe in stanley. those writing him off are WAY too premature.
He showed so much promise in the ruck in his debut season with us, as a scrawny stick figure. He presented, he worked hard....his body has developed..I have no doubt his football ability is still there - he just needs confidence, more strength & a coach that thinks he can play a role.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Lets hope that the penny has dropped for Rhys. The ability is there, the opportunity is there, the rest is up to him !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Kate wrote:Not good. Fingers crossed that a new look coaching/development team will instill a bit of passion and excitement into the up and comers.

There's definitely going to be some new spots up for grabs in the seniors, and I'd love to see some of the kids work their backsides off to make a claim.
I think you are right there Kate. A number of players will now think they might have a chance of getting a game. In Stanleys case, he had a horrible preseason, the ban he had placed on him really set him back and then had injuries during the season. Let's hope that with a full preseason, a new coach who doesn't believe in players needing to be 65 before they get a game, maybe he can become the gun player most of us thought he could be.

I love this club
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
Kate wrote:Not good. Fingers crossed that a new look coaching/development team will instill a bit of passion and excitement into the up and comers.

I think you are right there Kate. A number of players will now think they might have a chance of getting a game. In Stanleys case, he had a horrible preseason, the ban he had placed on him really set him back and then had injuries during the season. Let's hope that with a full preseason, a new coach who doesn't believe in players needing to be 65 before they get a game, maybe he can become the gun player most of us thought he could be.
He needs to toughen up and perform. He is never going to perform at AFL level when he can't at VFL level. No more excuses. He hasn't played much senior footy because he has not deserved to.

I hope he becomes the best player in the league, but from what I've seen of him in the VFL he has a long way to go.

I hope for the club's sake he has a break out year next year. It would fix some problems we have.

His hamstrings did not ruin his whole year. He played plenty of poor football.

Spot on 8856brother.
Never demanded an AFL game with VFL form.
Time he grew up and performed or is moved on.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

howquajacko wrote:Spot on 8856brother.
To be fair, he never demanded an AFL game in 2010 either....Roo just got severely injured.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
howquajacko wrote:Spot on 8856brother.
To be fair, he never demanded an AFL game in 2010 either....Roo just got severely injured.
yes I agree with that, but hopefully Watters will be able to get though to him, he is a talent but he needs to toughen up and show he wants to play. Now is the time for him to do that

I love this club
saintpeter
Club Player

Iam sorry if I am wrong, but I have watched him in a couple of games and realy did not see much in the way of the talent that many on here talk about. He still has a lot to prove, even at VFL level. I wish him luck and for the hope of the team I hope he can succeed. He is still young so should not be written off just yet.

Ross who?
Club Player

How well are most other 200+cm guys going after 3 years?
Jumps about a foot higher than the other rucks in VFL that I have seen. He is training hard ATM and looking forward to next season as the past was a write off.
I am backing him in for a big one in 2012.

Blake Acres fan club VIP
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintpeter wrote:Iam sorry if I am wrong, but I have watched him in a couple of games and realy did not see much in the way of the talent that many on here talk about.  He still has a lot to prove, even at VFL level.  I wish him luck and for the hope of the team I hope he can succeed.   He is still young so should not be written off just yet.
I think a lot of the hype can be attributed to 3 things:

1. A very impressive YouTube highlights video which came to light after the club called his name in the 2008 Draft.

2. A win in the 2009 AFL Grand Final Sprint, a very impressive effort given his 200cm height.

3. A few individual efforts over a couple of NAB Cup games in 2010.

And that's about it really.

Rhys still has a little time on his side however he really needs to get cracking and show improvement and consistency in 2012 if he is to make it.

saintpeter
Club Player

Exactly right, he has the challenge in front of him and I hope he succeeds. Seems like a nice young bloke and would love if he could realise the potential that many on here see in him.