7 days and the clock is ticking...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Kilda
Club Player

7 days and the clock is ticking...

In preparation for the upcoming AFL national draft, St Kilda - like all clubs - has to formally lodge its playing list next Friday. St Kilda still has 6 seasoned players out of contract including one who came third in this year's B & F.

There is a possibility therefore, that we could lose not one but a few of the following players:

(1) Zac Dawson
(2) Dean Polo
(3) Farren Ray
(4) Sean Dempster
(5) Raphael Clarke
(6) Brett Peake

Tick tock, tick tock...

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: 7 days and the clock is ticking...

Kilda wrote:In preparation for the upcoming AFL national draft, St Kilda - like all clubs - has to formally lodge its playing list next Friday. St Kilda still has 6 seasoned players out of contract including one who came third in this year's B & F.

There is a possibility therefore, that we could lose not one but a few of the following players:

(1) Zac Dawson
(2) Dean Polo
(3) Farren Ray
(4) Sean Dempster
(5) Raphael Clarke
(6) Brett Peake

Tick tock, tick tock...
wow. incredible.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

We all know this, so what's the point. Plus I amsure Ray has resigned. For all we know, the rest could be on the verge of sighning.

I love this club
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:We all know this, so what's the point. Plus I amsure Ray has resigned. For all we know, the rest could be on the verge of sighning.
For all we know they aren't. It's actually very worrying that the club has allowed itself to get in this position. Ridiculous really for a club with limited stars.

If Gram was able to sign big money on the back of a very good game in 09 (albeit the GF) as some on here have suggested, then that's outrageous and sadly we deserve everything we get.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Re: 7 days and the clock is ticking...

(1) Zac Dawson - Good riddance
(2) Dean Polo - Back up only, no real loss if he left
(3) Farren Ray - Reports say he's signed
(4) Sean Dempster - Had a very good season, need to retain
(5) Raphael Clarke - Not concerned if he stays, easily replaced
(6) Brett Peake - See Dempster

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

As long as Ray and Dempster re sign I will be happy :shock:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
ThePunter
Club Player

My understanding is that Dempster, Ray and Peake have all either re-signed or agreed to re-sign.

Polo and Clarke would surely know that as far as they are concerned, we are the only game in town.

Reports don't look good regarding Zac Dawson, but things have been quiet for a few days.

St Lenny
Club Player

As long as Dempster, Ray and Peake stay I will be happy. Not to sure who would replace Zac, so that does bother me. But if he is after the money, let him go to his mate Ro$$ who also loves the money.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so cj is all signed up then?
havent heard how long he signed for :?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Each of them will be waiting to see if anyone walks, therefor feeing up more cash for their own contracts... If Dawson goes then the others will want a piece of his allocated funds...

Contract chess.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The Punter commented :
My understanding is that Dempster, Ray and Peake have all either re-signed or agreed to re-sign.
Polo and Clarke would surely know that as far as they are concerned, we are the only game in town.
Reports don't look good regarding Zac Dawson, but things have been quiet for a few days.
Zac will be the most difficult to replace, so he should be a priority to retain. Again, poor forward planning is coming back to bite us!

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Junction Oval wrote:The Punter commented :
Zac will be the most difficult to replace, so he should be a priority to retain. Again, poor forward planning is coming back to bite us!
Why is it hard to replace a clumsy, apathetic, low-ability reject like Dawson?

It's a blessing that he's going. 300k lol

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Little Dozer questioned :
I think that it's a question of team "balance" LD. Gwilt will be out until mid-season, Dempster, Raph, Polo not signed. Whilst not stars, they are backline players. We need to retain backline solidarity next year, as the focus will be on scoring more, requiring new set-ups. I don't think that turning the entire side upside down will help what will be new tactics next year.

Who would be an adequate replacement for Zac ?? ("anyone" is not the correct answer).

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:

Agree...however our fb stocks are low so Zac becomes our best longterm option by default. Blake is better however only good for another season. We dont know enough of Simpkin yet.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:

Agree...however our fb stocks are low so Zac becomes our best longterm option by default. Blake is better however only good for another season. We dont know enough of Simpkin yet.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

matrix wrote:so cj is all signed up then?
havent heard how long he signed for :?
2 years.

Ross who?
Club Player

St Lenny wrote:As long as Dempster, Ray and Peake stay I will be happy. Not to sure who would replace Zac, so that does bother me. But if he is after the money, let him go to his mate Ro$$ who also loves the money.
This :D

Blake Acres fan club VIP
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dawson will be a major loss for us as we have no really proven replacement for probably the most important position on the ground. He will also be a major improver for freos team and will substantially improve their list like Ball did at collingwood.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Gringo ..we'd probably initially miss the understanding he's developed but I'm sure that we'd be able to find someone else who can do the job within our defensive set up where the whole has always been greater than the sum of its individual parts anyway.

If he goes we will be able to see if the new development academy is any good .. I'm sure the key development people will be keen to validate their positions and the new emphasis on development and they need to be challenged too - otherwise how are they going to learn and develop themselves ?

Most of our potential improvement needs to come from our forward line - that's where we under perform.

Zac isn't our backline - he is 1/6th of it .. probably 1/12th of it if you consider the fact that everyone helps and covers each other !
I'm hoping that he stays too .. but not for $300,000. St Kilda also gave him more than one life line.

Country Kid
Club Player

dragit wrote:Each of them will be waiting to see if anyone walks, therefor feeing up more cash for their own contracts... If Dawson goes then the others will want a piece of his allocated funds...

Contract chess.
The way the club has mishandled the salary cap I doubt freeing up Dawson's salary will be going to other players but rather to bring us into line. It is unfortunate that the players coming out of contract this year have had to bear the brunt of the clubs failings.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Zac is by far the most important on that list but due to previous poor list management he will leave which means all others will be retained.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Gringo ..we'd probably initially miss the understanding he's developed but I'm sure that we'd be able to find someone else who can do the job within our defensive set up where the whole has always been greater than the sum of its individual parts anyway.

If he goes we will be able to see if the new development academy is any good .. I'm sure the key development people will be keen to validate their positions and the new emphasis on development and they need to be challenged too - otherwise how are they going to learn and develop themselves ?

Most of our potential improvement needs to come from our forward line - that's where we under perform.

Zac isn't our backline - he is 1/6th of it .. probably 1/12th of it if you consider the fact that everyone helps and covers each other !
I'm hoping that he stays too .. but not for $300,000. St Kilda also gave him more than one life line.
He has size, closing speed and is leading the comp in1%ers someone said.
We have no one that can just take his spot. The maligned Archer is big but maybe lacks agility, Simpkin doesn't seem anywhere near as tall- looks more Sam Fisher sized.

blake isn't that great as a key position player, better as the spare guy in defence or with less responsible one on one jobs. Like him or not he is a decent player and the only key back we currently have. If he stays it wont be on $300000 and that is still a guess at what Freo have offered him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ray, Dempster and Peake = we need all 3

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Ray, Dempster and Peake = we need all 3
A gree with this,would like to keep Zac as well but these 3 are the most urgent of the group mentioned.

I love this club
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Lots of love for peake?

Fast with average disposal n like ray... Drifts in and out of games.

Would prefer Clarke every day of the week