Mike Sheahan takes it upon himself to restore the balance

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Mike Sheahan takes it upon himself to restore the balance

Too much St Kilda love out there you see... :wink:

Though I'm not sure 23 lends itself to 'boy' anymore.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 6188144237

Now, to a rare success story from the series - the emergence of Ireland's Walsh, a St Kilda project player for two years who has packed his bags and taken his talent, athleticism and unfulfilled ambition to Sydney for season 2012.

Perhaps Walsh might have defected to the Swans in any event, but giving him a crack at AFL level during his two seasons with the Saints might have helped soothe his frustration.

At 195cm and 97kg, he's a brute of a boy, as they might say in the old country, and the way he played the hybrid game in the past fortnight suggests he knows his way around a football field.

The Saints took him on in October 2009 as an international rookie. At the end of the 2011 season, he was still waiting for a chance in the AFL. Strange.

The wait must have been even more frustrating for him with countrymen Pearce Hanley a fixture with the Brisbane Lions and Zach Tuohy making exciting progress at Carlton.

To be fair to the Saints, they did declare him a required player in trade week, but the damage was done.

The Swans had promised him opportunity and, given their record with players from other clubs, he decided to move. They gave up draft picks 35 and 68, received from Adelaide as compensation for Lewis Johnston. Good deal all-round.

Australia's International Rules coach Rodney Eade said yesterday Walsh was an impressive athlete who might even play on a wing.

Certainly he will get his chance in Sydney, a chance the Saints will soon wish they had offered him.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I hate lyons guts.
Rubbish bloke.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I hate lyons guts.
Rubbish bloke.
Excellent stuff.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Just curious ...anyone here actually know RL?

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Stupid article IMHO. Sheehan has become a very lazy jurno who sticks the boots into us whenever he can.

Ross Lyon and his idiotic apprectice program are probably the reason Tommy Walsh took his round ball and went to Sydney but we cant really say that for sure. He may have played out of his skin for Ireland but I personally have seen no solid evidance he can play AFL football at the highest level.

What Walsh proved in the International Rules series was he can play a round ball style game that he was a superstar at in his homeland (which is the reason we picked him up in the first place) against a sub par team that was playing a game they didnt really know how to play with not a lot of preperation, not that he can play AFL football.

I remain unconvinced.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mike Sheahan takes it upon himself to restore the balanc

SainterK wrote: Australia's International Rules coach Rodney Eade said yesterday Walsh was an impressive athlete who might even play on a wing.
Last edited by SaintPav on Tue 08 Nov 2011 10:01am, edited 2 times in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Walsh is great when nobody can tackle him. Lacks awareness in afl and gets caught with the ball too often

#1 Ryder fan
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

God is that all he can come up with?

I bet when he was at school he'd be the one always copying out of texts and then claiming it to be his own. He hasn't got an original fibre in his body

Another opportunity awaits!
saintlee
Club Player

I agree with Mike, I fear will we regret losing Tommy Walsh...broke my heart seeing him tear it up in the international rules...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:I agree with Mike, I fear will we regret losing Tommy Walsh...broke my heart seeing him tear it up in the international rules...
Not surprising though, not sure anyone ever questioned his talent with the round ball, that's why he's here.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

What disappoints me is that there was a definite "window of opportunity" to give Tommy a couple of games (Adelaide, Gold Coast, Freo), but we didn't.

Tommy was even listed as an emergency, which would have raised his hopes. Let's now see how he goes. We may well have missed a good opportunity.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:What disappoints me is that there was a definite "window of opportunity" to give Tommy a couple of games (Adelaide, Gold Coast, Freo), but we didn't.

Tommy was even listed as an emergency, which would have raised his hopes. Let's now see how he goes. We may well have missed a good opportunity.
Lyon should have played him against the Swans up in Sydney when we had the late withdrawls but he played Baker instead. If he wasn't going to play him then, he was never going to play him.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If Eade thinks Walsh can play on the wing in AFL and be any good he is either seriuosly deluded or he is having a lend.

As for Sheehan's article, it is a strong indicator that Tommy Walsh will NOT make it in the AFL IMO.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Looks like Mike has found the copy paste button again.

Walsh is gone, Lyon has gone, move on

I love this club
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mike Sheahan takes it upon himself to restore the balanc

Walsh will be a star, I just know it.

Thanks for nothing you Lyin' git.

Should have stuck with GT. At least he was passionate about the club and had the balls to take a few chances.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 08 Nov 2011 12:04pm, edited 2 times in total.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Hurricane wrote:Stupid article IMHO. Sheehan has become a very lazy jurno who sticks the boots into us whenever he can.
I guess he's lucky we give him opportunity after opportunity to do so, hey?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
St Bongo

SainterK wrote:
saintlee wrote:I agree with Mike, I fear will we regret losing Tommy Walsh...broke my heart seeing him tear it up in the international rules...
Not surprising though, not sure anyone ever questioned his talent with the round ball, that's why he's here.
Agree, he grew up playing with the round ball and combined with the strength, endurance and physicality gained from 2 years of elite AFL conditioning he should have dominated the IR games. The fact however that in the second game he was fairly well held by Patfull says a fair bit. Patfull not a total spud but hardly a gun.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Good ol' Mike...he can pick a 1000 goal forward a mile off, can't he? :roll:

Anyway, regurgitating what everyone has been saying since the last day of trade week, how many weeks down the track, makes a great article doesn't it? I still can't believe he gets paid.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Lyon gave me plenty of entertainment by not picking Walsh. I reckon he was right.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We don't know if Walsh would've made it.

But he could have made it. He was clearly an excellent prospect.

Lyon butchered him and screwed the club over in the mean time.

Sheahan is hardly sinking the boot in, but then again, if he wrote something positive, he'd be accused of sucking up.

God save Ross Lyon, but thank Christ for Scott Watters.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:We don't know if Walsh would've made it.

Sheahan is hardly sinking the boot in, but then again, if he wrote something positive, he'd be accused of sucking up.

I just dont get it. Walsh didnt deserve to play until the last few rounds at best. I just dont understand how 2-3 games would have made the difference in what seems 100K in pay deferential. Walsh left for money. RL had long gone before Walsh left.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I hate lyons guts.
Rubbish bloke.

yep...+1.....the prick hasn't done us any favours....imhfo that is...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I just dont get it. Walsh didnt deserve to play until the last few rounds at best. I just dont understand how 2-3 games would have made the difference in what seems 100K in pay deferential. Walsh left for money. RL had long gone before Walsh left.
Yes Ross had left, but Tommy's frustration at not getting a game meant he had probably succumbed to the "tadhgs that bind" even before that.

Money no doubt played a big role, but in his mind he was probably thinking he was leaving the Zebras, not the Saints, to join the Swans.

A few games in our colours, singing the club song with the boys - who knows? Maybe the Swans wouldn't have even got to the offer stage.

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

SaintPav wrote:As for Sheehan's article, it is a strong indicator that Tommy Walsh will NOT make it in the AFL IMO.
Your absolutely right, when he puts his two cents worth in on who will be the next big thing he's very right at being wrong.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yes Ross had left, but Tommy's frustration at not getting a game meant he had probably succumbed to the "tadhgs that bind" even before that.

Money no doubt played a big role, but in his mind he was probably thinking he was leaving the Zebras, not the Saints, to join the Swans.

A few games in our colours, singing the club song with the boys - who knows? Maybe the Swans wouldn't have even got to the offer stage.
Well if he that type of bloke I am glad he left. He was a good average reserves player. He was no messiah. If what you say is true it sounds like he had a few tickets on himself. i dont get the I need you play me for a few games otherwise I look elsewhere. Heisnt friggin Chris Judd.