Captain material

There is talk in another thread about future Captains of our club ...just putting it out there who in our team has captain material ??

For me :
Roo - obviously has been a great capt and I believe should continue to be
Lenny - another obvious choice
Kosi- always thought if GT had not got the chop Kosi was the next rotation as captain
Goddard - has the desire to be capt has the mentality and the passion but I reckon would be an angry capt. Like Buckley was
Fisher - the backline general maybe not vocal enough but then I though the same of Lenny before 2004
McEvoy - looks to be a solid personality gives his all and has a bit of that follow my lead type of feel about him
Milney - people might laugh but Milney from what I have seen is great with the young guys around the club a real father figure

Think there is only 2 options at this moment. Rooy who will do it for a year or two more and then BJ. If he leaves as I expect him to do it will leave us with Ben replacing Rooy.

goodie

Would like to see Goddard get a run at the job before it's too late. Of the next generation McEvoy's the stand-out, although young Steven is impressive

The offer of the captaincy may be the straw that will keep BJ from going to GWS.

The question isn't who will be captain ... It's who has the makings of a captain ... Roo will be captain til he retires in my opinion so unless we go down the multiple captain road most of these guys won't ever be the captain but they all have the material to be good captains

BJ
Ben

Could of been but probably too late age wise
Lenny
Blake
Fisher

Of the kids
Ledger - good work ethic, speaks really well
Curren - ditto

Left field
Dempster

Rosco

No one likes Nick dal Santo for it? Perhaps when roo is done and with BJ gone, and ahead of whoever of our young guns stands out?

bj will get it next year along with being enticed to sign for another 5 years
locking him in tho be a one club player for life

8-)

One feels that Nick Dal Santo, if he chooses to keep playing, could have another 6-7 seasons in him. He seems a very engaging, thoughtful and level-headed young man and he would be my first choice for the next captain.

I personally don't like the idea of making a player captain to keep them at the club. Let Goddard decide he wants to stay and then let's see.

If Goddard goes to GWS or somewhere else, and NDS retires sooner than I think he will, then Jimmy Gwilt might be an outside chance I suppose, or even perhaps Farren Ray if he is still performing ok (I'm assuming Sam Gilbert has done his dash thanks to his involvement with Ms Duthie).

Beyond that, I guess you are looking at Steven, McEvoy, etc. It's far too early to say which player from this younger group will develop into a likely leader.

plugger66 wrote:Think there is only 2 options at this moment. Rooy who will do it for a year or two more and then BJ. If he leaves as I expect him to do it will leave us with Ben replacing Rooy.
excellent..are you preparing yourself?

plugger66 wrote:Think there is only 2 options at this moment. Rooy who will do it for a year or two more and then BJ. If he leaves as I expect him to do it will leave us with Ben replacing Rooy.
Ive been prepared for stars to leave since Ian Stewart went in 1971 and it lost us a flag.

so true..

If the coach ends up being any good, which I expect him to be, he will probably do the same.

meher baba wrote:One feels that Nick Dal Santo, if he chooses to keep playing, could have another 6-7 seasons in him. He seems a very engaging, thoughtful and level-headed young man and he would be my first choice for the next captain.

I personally don't like the idea of making a player captain to keep them at the club. Let Goddard decide he wants to stay and then let's see.

If Goddard goes to GWS or somewhere else, and NDS retires sooner than I think he will, then Jimmy Gwilt might be an outside chance I suppose, or even perhaps Farren Ray if he is still performing ok (I'm assuming Sam Gilbert has done his dash thanks to his involvement with Ms Duthie).

Beyond that, I guess you are looking at Steven, McEvoy, etc. It's far too early to say which player from this younger group will develop into a likely leader.
That's a little unfair though.

So if BJ gets the captaincy, people will just assume it was a carrot?

What if it isn't, and he just loves his club?

Agree Dal is a lovely guy, great in the media, well spoken, and the leadership group has suited him heaps. He'd probably be a ripper captain, but he may attract similar criticism (and probably unfairly) to Crawford?

Not serious enough...and all that...though perhaps I'd go with balanced personally.

Ross who?

BJ is the only one who is in the "next age bracket". Therefore that may be in consideration for the club, not just GWS. IMO I think that BJ is a very loyal person and would be happy with his lot at the Saints anyway.

Blake Acres fan club VIP

You can bet your boots that captaincy of the GWS will be offered to BJ. I expect their first captain will be James McDonald or another of the old blokes, who will have the job for one year.

Can't believe how long it took for people to mention nds.
Maybe us saints fan take him for granted a little.
Champ player. Champ bloke. Could easily captain the side after roo.

So if a guy get named captain....and gets offered a doubled contract...he wont leave????

Leigh Colbert???

Saint4Eva

Leigh Colbert is a flog though and from what i see BJ has more loyalty and pride in the jumper he puts on....

Saint4Eva wrote:Leigh Colbert is a flog though and from what i see BJ has more loyalty and pride in the jumper he puts on....
What is that based on?

Saint4Eva wrote:Leigh Colbert is a flog though and from what i see BJ has more loyalty and pride in the jumper he puts on....
this will be tested by actions in about 10 months. interested to see if your guess is right.

71 was the bloody worst of all

lenny for sure

Lenny, BJ and Roo.

Lenny would step aside for the other two though if it meant they stay.

IMO joint captains in BJ and Roo.

Where lenny goes angels fear to tread.

As much as I love len dog (who doesn't?)
His chance to be skipper passed when roo took the job on.
No doubt he would have done the job as well or better than anyone in the clubs history. But we all know how good a leader he is without the title.
But its a waste of time naming him in these threads. He is at the very end of his career now. So he won't be skipper.

Bu I would say from 2012 onwards
Nds (with dempster as a dark horse skipper)
Then farren ray.
Then seb ross