Magner

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Magner

Guy had 32 touches in a side getting flogged today - have we made another blue here?

What sort of player is this bloke cause god knows we are struggling to win contested ball - was he really the chop out Hayes needed?

Why didnt we take him?

Please, lets not make the same mistake next year with Cockie? if he can win his own ball - we have to be much smarter here....its our turn to find a Barlow.

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Magner

how old is he?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Please Saints, don't deliberately throw games and try to lose. It's like a disease....hopefully James doesn't catch it.

defacto
Club Player

it is interesting. i remember listening to the rookie draft and hoping horsley would slip through or magner. was a bit frustrated when we didnt get him.

for the record we choose lever, wilkes, blake, dunnell, shenton before him.

i think it came down to an age and position thing. dunnell and shenton are 3 years younger than magner (24/25 to 21/22). magner is an in and under midfielder at 186cm. shenton and dunnell are 188 and 190cm. the development progression is also and interesting factor. i believe dunnell and shenton both show quick improvement when put in the right environment.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

according to p66 - magner was a hack...

anyways it goes to show how bad melbourne are when he is their best player. melbourne are vfl standard at present.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Guy had 32 touches in a side getting flogged today - have we made another blue here?
32 touches at 50% efficiency (though i didn't see the game). you think jones gets bagged for his disposal? imagine if magner was in the saints side.

everyone says we need pace and good skills and goal kicking ability. magner has none of those things. maybe he's a good fit for them but a poor fit for us.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

yes but he got 20 contested possessions and 11 clearances and gives away no free kicks. so that's pretty good.
interestingly though he had no goal assists and only two inside fifties, and no goals or points. his game is one dimensional. can get it, but butchers it.
the guys playing to his strengths, which is his strength.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:according to p66 - magner was a hack...

anyways it goes to show how bad melbourne are when he is their best player. melbourne are vfl standard at present.

Pretty sure i never said that but you did say Ray could be our next Captain. What I did say is Magner was slow and had very average skills. Havent changed my mind but of course it was a mistake not getting him. Afterall 2 games is a career.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Mark it down, He'll probably win Melbourne's B&F..........WOW

Get him in your Dreamteam and Supercoach teams if you haven't already

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I asked in another thread if we stuffed this up and pointed out that we don't seem to see what's under our noses. Magner, Silvagni, Barlow, Lynch who had I think Adelaides 3 most dreamteam points. But it's alright everyone thinks he's a hack and inside contested ball winners are a dime a dozen.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Okay then. A few on here saying we should've taken Magner. This after he's played two games for the lowly Demons.

Those people now have the chance to nominate which of our Draftees/Rookies they would have given up in order to call out Magner's name. It has to be someone and the current crop of newbies is looking pretty good.

Here's your chance to look like a genius, or a damn fool, in a couple of years time :)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Okay then. A few on here saying we should've taken Magner. This after he's played two games for the lowly Demons.

Those people now have the chance to nominate which of our Draftees/Rookies they would have given up in order to call out Magner's name. It has to be someone and the current crop of newbies is looking pretty good.

Here's your chance to look like a genius, or a damn fool, in a couple of years time :)
I'll say Lever because he was late and looks like every one will have forgotten by the time he establishes himself as our FB

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Why didnt we take him?
Been asking myself this for the last two weeks.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I asked in another thread if we stuffed this up and pointed out that we don't seem to see what's under our noses. Magner, Silvagni, Barlow, Lynch who had I think Adelaides 3 most dreamteam points. But it's alright everyone thinks he's a hack and inside contested ball winners are a dime a dozen.

I would like to ask when did we have the chance to draft Barlow ahead of everyone else?

Who did we get with #37 for Lynch in the draft?

Why do some want us to pick up Magner when he is a poor mans version of Dean Polo? How many bad kickes do we need in our team?

At the time we didn't really need Slivagni but he would be handy now.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Why didnt we take him?
Personally as an overall comment I am more than happy with our picks in both the last draft...and the one before. One can argue the toss over individual picks, but as a group I see talent, good footskills and pace....and these qualities were sadly lacking for many years worth of draft picks.

In last years draft/trade we took Saad and Milera as well as Markworth (who is a year older than minimum) and so there is a limit as to how many mature age players you can go for when we are entering, despite what Roo says, a rebuilding phase.

The many drafts before that however had a shocking period of our draft selections (and I am not including the trades). But the last two years look ok to me as a whole.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Geez...just asked a question...

Fwiw.... At least he gets first hands to it.... Outside Hayes we have little in that area

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:according to p66 - magner was a hack...

Pretty sure i never said that but you did say Ray could be our next Captain. What I did say is Magner was slow and had very average skills. Havent changed my mind but of course it was a mistake not getting him. Afterall 2 games is a career.
i dont disagree with you. i was at the game yesterday. i dont think hes that much chop. no better/worse than armo.

but melbourne. oh dear. hard to really see them winning a game. very very sociable football they play.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

C'mon, who you giving up?

Dunnell????

lefty
Club Player

Yea I should look back at the thread in december, someone said he was a hack and no good.
2 games so far, and that forum expert looks like a fool.

Very upset we didn't get him.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Definitely not an expert but I will put my hand up and say all along I havent been fussed about us not getting Mags. Purely because of his poor disposal. Its clear we drafted good kicks as opposed to players who can fill percieved gaps in our list but with a downfall in the disposal efficiency.

I will not mind if he averages 100 in sc and dt we didnt stuff up by not getting him.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

If he turns it over all the time then fair enough.

Shame, he clearly can get it......like Priddis?..

“Yeah….nah””
gringo
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
gringo wrote:I asked in another thread if we stuffed this up and pointed out that we don't seem to see what's under our noses. Magner, Silvagni, Barlow, Lynch who had I think Adelaides 3 most dreamteam points. But it's alright everyone thinks he's a hack and inside contested ball winners are a dime a dozen.

I would like to ask when did we have the chance to draft Barlow ahead of everyone else?

Why do some want us to pick up Magner when he is a poor mans version of Dean Polo? How many bad kickes do we need in our team?

Magner gets 34 possessions and demands the ball if Polo is the Rich mans version he must get 45 possessions every week. Im only joking but seriously he is a ball winner which would have been handy last week. Geary showed tonight some people don't need precise skill when they demand the ball and make it work for the team. Gears won so many 50/50 contests and knocked the ball on when he ran in to force a contest.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Oh and Barlow trained with us but we didn't rate him enough to take him.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

he trained with us in the 2008 pre season and he was a chance to be drafted late but we picked up G train instead. Not sure how close we were to picking him up but that is what I heard..

We picked up Newnes for pick 37..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Not an expert but slow and poor disposal...
he's not a dud by any means but just not the type of player we need going forward

i'd like to see him do well though