Delistings at Year End

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Kernal75
Club Player

Delistings at Year End

I know it's early but........

Who do we think will get the bullet at years end (including retirements). Supposed to be a "Super Draft" according to Recruiters so who will get their matching orders

For what it's worth I can reel off the followng with ease and a couple more controversial ones

Blake (retirement)
Clarke
Polo
Peake
Ray
Gram

Possible Trade Options
Gilbert
Montagna
Goddard (only if aboslutely necessary)

I think we should make use of the darft and start building towards our next opportunity.........

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Re: Delistings at Year End

I thought Gram had a really good finish to this season, and Monty improved as the year went on... Was really good rounds 16-22, in a few months time... I think they should be spared the trade bait card...

Blake is an obvious one, but Clarke and Ray are still young and played some handy games as depth later on this season once our youngsters tired a bit... Clarkes game in round 18 against the Bulldogs this coming July will be a good one, might spare him the chop...

:roll:

defacto
Club Player

its a long season. clarke, ray, peake, gram all have a chance to show something. if they stay on the path they are currently on then yeah it will be a delist or trade. i think clarke will be the last to delist, given he's still young and is rather tallish. i think they are re-training him to play forward.

i dont think we have the talls to cover the trade of gilbert. monty is worth a look at if the price is right, same with goddard.

polo will stay if he keeps playing the way he has so far. i think the club sees him as the back up to jones (he is 29!!).

crocker is in trouble IMO. i think they'll delist him. i think milne is a high chance of retiring. lenny, roo and kozi will go around one more year i think.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Lenny is retiring and Cripps will be traded because he dogs out. Thats all I have at this stage. To early to call others.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

And I thought I blew my load early!

ThePunter
Club Player

Completely safe are: Siposs, Steven, McEvoy, Ross, Hayes, Markworth, Montagna, Riewoldt, Schneider, Geary, Ledger, Newnes, Winmar, Goddard, Gilbert, Armitage, Saad, Koschitzke, Dempster, Fisher, Dal Santo, Stanley, Simpkin, Webster, Milera, Gwilt, Cripps, Lever & Milne. These players will not be at St Kilda next year only at their own insistence.

That leaves Gram, Jones, Clarke, Crocker, Ray, Blake, Peake, Polo & Wilkes. I would suggest Blake and Clarke are the most likely to be gone, the next most likely Ray and Peake. Then it would become tough decision time about one youngster (Crocker), and four players who played on the weekend (Gram, Jones, Polo & Wilkes).

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

One would think that Peake and Blake have their papers stamped

Polo seems to be in the side for now and is doing everything he can to keep his spot... to early to call

Ray and Clarke have lots to offer but the 2nd half of the season will tell the story for them both

I like Gram but have my doubts about him... fitness wise he hasn't been anywhere near his best since the 09 GF - decent player but is he worth persevering with

Jones seems firmly established in the side but again I question his value going forward

Milne's past his best but at this stage as there's clearly no one to take his place, I would keep him too

Gilbert and Monty are w/o doubt our best trade bait... both immensely talented but question marks exist over whether they can get the job done.
Monty should be playing on par with maybe not the elite midfielders ala Ablett, Judd etc but the next tier down, Boyds etc seems way below par atm... if u can get value for him, I'd trade him.
Just doesn't seem to be getting better... needs to take the step from promising up and comer to conisistent quality player. With his skills the way they are, don't know if he can actually do it. Again, if the deal is right...
Schneider would be the other potential... simply doesnt produce enough but I doubt we would get quality for him

Kernal75
Club Player

I think one of Winmar or Crocker will go at years end. Whilst we can all joke about going early, people who have been on our list for 3-4 years and showed nothing need to be moved on, they invariably become the list cloggers that clubs can do without.

I don't like keeping players on our list that will add nothing in the coming years and are out of contract (i.e Gram, Ray, Peake, Polo, Clarke). We need to trade out a "top 6 player" IMO to maximise our chances of re-building in the shortest possible time whilst we have our current batch of top liners. For that reason Montagna falls out as he will hold some currency and I think is out of contract

Time to cut hard at years end and take our medicine for a couple of years, rather than finishing 8-13 for the next 4 years whilst our current group of stars play out their days. Then we'll truly be in the mire!!

defacto
Club Player

i believe winmar is contracted until the end of next year

sax
Club Player

The next draft will supposedly be the best since the "Hodge, Ball, Judd" draft.
We will want at least a hand full of picks.
If we were to make the delistings now, I'd say it would be a little like this.

Trade Bait - Leigh Montagna, Jason Gram, Clint Jones

Delist - Brett Peake, Farren Ray, Raphael Clarke, Dean Polo, Sam Crocker, Nicholas Winmar, Jason Blake (ret)

But as stated, there is still a lot of the year to go!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:
Time to cut hard at years end and take our medicine for a couple of years,
rather than finishing 8-13 for the next 4 years whilst our current group of stars play out their days. Then we'll truly be in the mire!!
I take the opposite view...
From what I have seen of Lenny he will still be very good next year. Roo may not be starring but will still be good.

I therefore do not believe that any of our core older players will be past it.....but that the "so-so" fringe older players will have a crop of other players coming through to displace them who will be hitting their straps.

Stanley: With a season of games and another pre-season he could be quite the player

Steven: Very impressive this year. With another full season he will most likely settle in his ball use and judgement.

Armo: I do not rate him as highly as Steven, but this year he has stepped up.

Milera: Early days...but this guy just radiates class. Hard to envisage hi not improving aftaera year of senior footy and another full pre-season in the gym.

Ben: Likey to get better every year for the next half-dozen years.

Simpkin: Looks to be quite capable of becoming a more than handy backman.

Geary: No star, but has certainly stepped up a notch.

Siposs, Newnes, Cripps, Ledger: all the next tier down...but all showing promise that they will get better.

Possible 2013 Saints:

Geary Simpkin Dempster
Goddard Fisher Gilbert
Milera Hayes Siposs
Schneider Roo Stanley
Milne Wilkes/Kosi Saad

Ben Dal Steven

Joey (or Gram) Gwilt Armo Cripps/Ledger... or Jones.

Smokey:
* Dunnel after another pre-season in the Gym.
* Ferguson

Ross and others to be more a chance in 2014, but yes will play some games in 2013.

PS: Not saying not to take a goodly number of kids next year.....but I am certainly not prepared to write off 2013 at present.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I know its only opinion etc...but personally I find even speculating about whos gonna get delisted..after ROUND FIVE..is a pretty pointless excerise

lets back ALL the team to show some form for the remaining 18 weeks eh?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:I know its only opinion etc...but personally I find even speculating about whos gonna get delisted..after ROUND FIVE..is a pretty pointless excerise

Agree.

Both Armo and Stanley have featured prominently in these sorts of threads in recent years :roll:

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Peake seems to be gone. He's capable of playing very good footy but doesn't consistently apply himself enough to be of value going forward. Ray will need to lift and force his way back into the side if he wants another year and Raph would need a strong comeback and solid medical report to hold a spot.

Personally I'd delist Polo, Jones and Gram but I doubt it will happen. Blake will retire and Milne may if he doesn't find a bit if extra form over the year (which really should happen). Wilkes will surely be retained as a solid backup. Kosi and Lenny have at least one more year.

Of the kids, Crocker has to be in serious trouble. He hardly gets a senior game at Sandy and has never been close to AFL selection. I thought Winmar showed some promise in the pre season but seems to have gone backwards. His contract will probably save his spot even if he doesn't perform this year. It will be interesting to see what happens to the likes of Lever and Webster if they don't show much; with a much stronger draft this year the club may chose to cut a contract short in favour of a better talent pool this year.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:Peake seems to be gone. He's capable of playing very good footy but doesn't consistently apply himself enough to be of value going forward. Ray will need to lift and force his way back into the side if he wants another year and Raph would need a strong comeback and solid medical report to hold a spot.

Personally I'd delist Polo, Jones and Gram but I doubt it will happen. Blake will retire and Milne may if he doesn't find a bit if extra form over the year (which really should happen). Wilkes will surely be retained as a solid backup. Kosi and Lenny have at least one more year.

Of the kids, Crocker has to be in serious trouble. He hardly gets a senior game at Sandy and has never been close to AFL selection. I thought Winmar showed some promise in the pre season but seems to have gone backwards. His contract will probably save his spot even if he doesn't perform this year. It will be interesting to see what happens to the likes of Lever and Webster if they don't show much; with a much stronger draft this year the club may chose to cut a contract short in favour of a better talent pool this year.
Blake, Polo, Peake and in a perfect world Jones.

What is the common issue with these players?

They kick really poorly and their worst is damn near awful.

Kernal75
Club Player

saint66au wrote:I know its only opinion etc...but personally I find even speculating about whos gonna get delisted..after ROUND FIVE..is a pretty pointless excerise

I'll back them all for as long as I'm alive, that's not really the point. We have to be planning for the future rather than blindly continuing down the same lines. Reality is that some will be discarded at years end, this is simply a forum to see who people think will be in that bunch. I hope they all play well and we make the finals etc, that being said, it won't save everyone on the list. If you stagnate you die.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:

I'll back them all for as long as I'm alive, that's not really the point. We have to be planning for the future rather than blindly continuing down the same lines. Reality is that some will be discarded at years end, this is simply a forum to see who people think will be in that bunch. I hope they all play well and we make the finals etc, that being said, it won't save everyone on the list. If you stagnate you die.
Blind faith has stilted this football club for long enough; the toleration - and embracing - of mediocrity could kill it.

We have to fierce and ruthless in re-building our list to the point where we can challenge for consecutive premierships in the years to come.

That's why we need to get between 30-50 games into the kids on our list by the end of next year. The dead wood must be culled and hard decisions must be made.

Take a look at the Swans. They've been building a culture of excellence and consistently made tough decisions to make their list bat as deep as anyone else - all whilst not bottoming out.

We're not going to bottom out because our top 6-10 are too strong. However, we need to accumulate a list of genuine depth and a culture of development excellence.

The rest is just fan passion and hoping, which, while great, doesn't put us any closer to the success we crave.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Blind faith has stilted this football club for long enough; the toleration - and embracing - of mediocrity could kill it.
God this straw man argument s.hits me :roll:

It is a low energy retort, a bit like calling anything you dont like politically "un-Australian".

Embracing mediocrity :roll: FFS nobody does that. The reason so many people want changes is because they CRAVE the ultimate success.

I dont see anybody content with the narrow loss and a draw in consecutive GF's, only extreme dissapointment.

One person points out that we should support all the players at R5 and we get the hackneyed "embracing mediocrity".

We all want success, however some supporters prefer to support the team and the players instead of hiding their insecurities and identification of self worth by way of their football team by constantly whinging and critisising under the guise of not embracing mediocrity.

The only thing mediocre is the whole flaming argument.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:One person points out that we should support all the players at R5 and we get the hackneyed "embracing mediocrity".
Well that's a very emotional argument you're using there. Of course we're all disappointed at the lack of success.

But a discussion about the future of the list is a difficult one, one that shouldn't be coloured by emotion or the desire to "back" the players.

I back the players every week. With all of my emotion.

But can I also discuss their long-term prospects and whether they benefit the footy club and are a part of future.

Anything else is white noise.
joffaboy wrote:We all want success, however some supporters prefer to support the team and the players instead of hiding their insecurities and identification of self worth by way of their football team by constantly whinging and critisising under the guise of not embracing mediocrity.
Wow, what a pathetically low and personal jibe.

I shouldn't even respond but I will.

The football club's success has nothing to do with mine or anyone else's personal insecurity or... (oh my) "indentification of self worth".

Nobody in my family or circle of friends would associate their self-worth with the performance of their sporting club.

Seriously? Talk about a bizarre point.

Anyway - carry on.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Noones saying that we should stagnate or keep the same old faces every year...my point was that its far too early in the season to be speculating who should be delisted..youre basing it on 5 games maximum..or 2011 form. Silly IMO

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:Noones saying that we should stagnate or keep the same old faces every year...my point was that its far too early in the season to be speculating who should be delisted..youre basing it on 5 games maximum..or 2011 form. Silly IMO
Geez there is some rubbish on the list though...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
saint66au wrote:Noones saying that we should stagnate or keep the same old faces every year...my point was that its far too early in the season to be speculating who should be delisted..youre basing it on 5 games maximum..or 2011 form. Silly IMO
Geez there is some rubbish on the list though...

Well if they are rubbish after 5 games surely they were rubbish at the end of last year. I am with Saint66au on this. Lets see what happens until at least round 15.

PJ
SS Life Member

Crikey delistings?? I didn't think we were doing that bad

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda de-listings can wait until the end of the year. SAINTSATIONAL de-listings are another thing alltogether. Who should SAINTSATIONAL de-list NOW? Who should be on their last chance? Who should SAINTSATIONAL de-list at the end of the year?

Now that I have started this, I'm off to duck (Joel Selwood style) for cover !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Robert Eddy has got to go… & Andrew McQualter, well I just can't believe he is still getting a game, let alone on the list… Shane Birss is pretty fortunate to be still kicking around as is Ryan Grinter.

Oops sorry, that was my natural reaction to the thread title, have to reprogram