Ruckman

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

andrewg
Club Player

Ruckman

After Scotty's comments about the need for a new ruck, who would be on our radar? I would imagine if we loose a star and with Lenny, Rooey, Kosi and Milne at the end of their careers we should have some money for a name. Do we need a name?

Thoughts on Jamar, Golstein, Warnock, Giles?

ny young ones out their on rookie lists or in the draft?

Kernal75
Club Player

Re: Ruckman

Warnock for mine. He's a tall unit who could give us first use of the ball. Ripe for the picking with Kreuzer and Hampson both having gone past him at Carlton.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Id go for Giles, or mcintosh from north.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:Warnock for mine. He's a tall unit who could give us first use of the ball. Ripe for the picking with Kreuzer and Hampson both having gone past him at Carlton.
he's on massive money and he's just not that good, which is why hampson's past him.

goldstein is the obvious one but he would cost a mint. that said i'm not convinced we really need another ruckman.

shmic_s
Club Player

Don't want to see us spending massive money on another ruckman.
Just someone who can provide some cover for McEvoy.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Unless the second ruckman can provide more than just ruck duties, I would't be offering up any nice carrots to an opposition team. Better off getting a second-stringer cheaply who's not getting any action at another club. Like Thommo used to say - no point giving up plenty to get someone who'll just be "farting at thunder".

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Unless we end up with a number of high draft picks, then maybe we could go for one of the better young ruckmen in the draft.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i missed scottys comments. can someone fill me in?

i geniunely believe we should focus on getting a key fwd in the next draft and a key back .
as for rucks. best available are jamar, warnock and john griffin. no doubt warnock and jamar will get offered big bucks so only jon griffin is realistic for us.

i genuinely believe with macca and stanley our ruck stocks are very healthy for the next 5 years and lets give lever 3 years to show what he can do. i just think it would be crazy to throw big money and or draft picks on a ruckman when in reality we arent going to get a really good one (nicnat, mummy, kreuzer etc wont be going anywhere).

if jacko ferguson keeps improving as a key back its only the roo that we need to replace (pretty big replacement).

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

good ruckmen are very hard to get. most clubs need one. only eagles and blues would be happy with their ruck stocks. that leaves 16 teams who probably want one. hawks and pies for instance, not to mention gws, will be desperate for one next year.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Agree with most others. With Macca going well, Stanley now a likely back-up and Lever future potential, the "big bucks" should be spent on a forward replacement for Rooey. The best rucks at other clubs will not be moving anywhere.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Goldstein

It's laughable Hmac has got the gig over him this season

Bring back the Lockett era
Sobraz
SS Life Member

jonesy wrote:Goldstein

Spot on... The others mentioned are just GOP's (in Warnock's case, less than that).. Jamar has been ok, but is at the tail end of his career...

Goldstein is an out and out potential star ruck... And a good age... There are a lot of good, young rucks around at the moment... NicNat, Bellchambers, the 2 Lions boys, the 2 bulldog boys, McEvoy, Kruiser etc.... Goldstein would be there about with the best of that lot...

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think we need a mature backup ruck and maybe a young prospect to develop. McEvoy is currently a decent number one ruck and in a couple of years time he'll be one of the best. Stanley is currently capable of providing another option and is already very good at center bounces. Those two can be our primary ruck combo with Kosi capable of helping out. The main concern is that if McEvoy goes down then we're left with nothing but part-timers. This is where a cheap, unspectacular but capable backup is required.

No way should be even consider blowing $500,000+ per year on another ruck while we need to build an entirely new forward line over the next few years. If we target expensive players it should be tall forwards, key defenders or gun midfielders.

Richter
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:i missed scottys comments. can someone fill me in?

i geniunely believe we should focus on getting a key fwd in the next draft and a key back .
as for rucks. best available are jamar, warnock and john griffin. no doubt warnock and jamar will get offered big bucks so only jon griffin is realistic for us.

i genuinely believe with macca and stanley our ruck stocks are very healthy for the next 5 years and lets give lever 3 years to show what he can do. i just think it would be crazy to throw big money and or draft picks on a ruckman when in reality we arent going to get a really good one (nicnat, mummy, kreuzer etc wont be going anywhere).

if jacko ferguson keeps improving as a key back its only the roo that we need to replace (pretty big replacement).
See the other theread Con, I did a run down of what Scotty said.

Re ruckman he didn't specify, but I believe that we need back up/competition rather than a new starting ruckman per se i.e. someone who does not command big $$

Agree re the importance of a key forward. Though I believe that SW's attacking plan is aimed at providing a number of tall forward options rather than relying on one superstar. Given that we are unlikely to get one through the draft (won't drop down low enough) this would seem to be a smart idea going forward.

EDIT: agree with MSG's comments above

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Goldstein

Probably says to Goldstein that he is not working hard enough and that talent alone is not enough...It is natural for younger players to bcome complacent after a good season...My guess is Brad Scott is just letting Goldie know that talent alone is not enough to make it.

MrCordz
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:good ruckmen are very hard to get. most clubs need one. only eagles and blues would be happy with their ruck stocks. that leaves 16 teams who probably want one. hawks and pies for instance, not to mention gws, will be desperate for one next year.
I think Freo would be quite comfortable with their uck stocks, The Kangaroos have nothing to complain about, Swans seem pretty good, Lions doing OK.

Humbly St. Kilda
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Saints should have secured Jon Giles in off season but were too slow. Scott Lycett at WCE is a young ruckman I would target. He has Cox and Nat in front of him would cone reasonably cheaply.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

MrCordz wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:good ruckmen are very hard to get. most clubs need one. only eagles and blues would be happy with their ruck stocks. that leaves 16 teams who probably want one. hawks and pies for instance, not to mention gws, will be desperate for one next year.
I think Freo would be quite comfortable with their uck stocks, The Kangaroos have nothing to complain about, Swans seem pretty good, Lions doing OK.
lions have ben hudson? swans have mark seaby? not sure they are fully satisfied.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Unless we end up with a number of high draft picks, then maybe we could go for one of the better young ruckmen in the draft.
We don't have five years to develop another kid.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We should be making a big play for Rodney Dangerfield.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:Warnock for mine. He's a tall unit who could give us first use of the ball. Ripe for the picking with Kreuzer and Hampson both having gone past him at Carlton.

He makes Big mac look like a gem at least. People would stop bagging ben's slow development.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Unless we end up with a number of high draft picks, then maybe we could go for one of the better young ruckmen in the draft.
We don't have five years to develop another kid.
there are stuff all good ruckmen out there. i seriously cant work out why people arent happy with macca and stanley.
anyhoo.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: there are stuff all good ruckmen out there. i seriously cant work out why people arent happy with macca and stanley.
anyhoo.
I'm happy with McEvoy. Stanley will never be a good ruckman.

The problem is big blokes take so long to mature. Jamar has been playing since 2003, but only became a good player in 2010. There are good ones out there, but who are they?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

"Dum de dum dum...."

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: there are stuff all good ruckmen out there. i seriously cant work out why people arent happy with macca and stanley.
anyhoo.
I'm happy with McEvoy. Stanley will never be a good ruckman.

The problem is big blokes take so long to mature. Jamar has been playing since 2003, but only became a good player in 2010. There are good ones out there, but who are they?
kreuzer, mummy,jamar, nicnat, sandilands, cox. no way any of them are going anywhere else for under 1 million a season.
i reckon stanley will be a good 2nd ruckman/fwd.