Tell me we dont need a taller defender!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Disgraceful list management Saints!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Freebird
Club Player

Re: Tell me we dont need a taller defender!

yeah, bring back zac...freo don't like him

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Fisher and Gwilt would help too. But agree to some extent

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
older saint
SS Life Member

How did Fergusson go in the 2's today?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

No we don't.

We need less turnovers that put the defence in a hopeless position.

55 clangers, not sure how many turnovers, but there was heaps....and out on the fulls.

Get some of our good kicks back in please Scotty.

Buckets
SS Life Member

It's amazing to think that some on here forget how many outs we have from the backline still to come in.

Fisher
Raph
Gwilt

Pretty big outs IMO and they will return very soon. And the improvement will come.
To be honest I think that Simpkin is now in the best 22 and will become an even better backman than that bloke who went to Freo over the off season.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Simpkin is already better than Dawson but not tall/big enough to play on ruckmen!

Buckets
SS Life Member

WinnersOnly wrote:Simpkin is already better than Dawson but not tall/big enough to play on ruckmen!
Well unless we have a ruckman sized defender it becomes a moot point then. When you have ruckman that are as capable as Cox and NicNat the defence will always struggle.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

we def need a tall defender.
i dont think it is in dispute.
BUT good ones dont grow on trees. Ask carlton and the hawks for example.
Why u think we spending so much time developing somone like jacko ferguson?
u cant just go and buy them at your local big w.
so we get by with what we have now. which means gwilt/blake/simpko will probably all find themselves on some 200cm blokes from time to time. thats how it is for us and quite a few clubs.
i mean id rather be undersized with good players than have a tall dud for the sake of him being tall.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 21 May 2012 12:08am, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:It's amazing to think that some on here forget how many outs we have from the backline still to come in.

Fisher
Raph
Gwilt

Pretty big outs IMO and they will return very soon. And the improvement will come.
To be honest I think that Simpkin is now in the best 22 and will become an even better backman than that bloke who went to Freo over the off season.
I agree. I dont think we need a giant sized defender at all tbh.

Throw Fisher; Gwilt, Raph alongside Gilbert, Simplin and Dempster and I truly reckon our defence looks onimous. This defence HAS the flexibility to allow a great floating defender like Fisher or Gilbert or even Simpkin (who is NOW starting 22 quality) to get across and help with the odd monster fwd like a Cox (how many of them really around???)

Our defence is fine. What we have are some injuries but IF we can get and keep this backline together come finals.........look out.

I also agree whoever said midfield needs to help defensively.

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Tell me we dont need a taller defender!

And where are we getting these guys from?

Trade for established stars? Who wants to come? How do we fit them into the salary cap? What do we have to give up to get them?

Not established stars then? So who do we get? Kids in the Draft? Given what picks we had how good are they going to be? Especially in the first six months out of junior footy?

Not kids then? So older guys playing in state leagues? Or guys on the fringe of AFL clubs? Maybe guys who can play as well as, say, a Pattison. a Gamble or a Wilkes?

Please be more specific as to why people should be expected to lose their jobs over this.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Stanley & McEvoy out meant that there was nobody of any size to drop back. Fisher out didn't help either.

We were just too short on the day.

saints66
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Tell me we dont need a taller defender!

And where are we getting these guys from?

Trade for established stars? Who wants to come? How do we fit them into the salary cap? What do we have to give up to get them?

Not established stars then? So who do we get? Kids in the Draft? Given what picks we had how good are they going to be? Especially in the first six months out of junior footy?

Not kids then? So older guys playing in state leagues? Or guys on the fringe of AFL clubs? Maybe guys who can play as well as, say, a Pattison. a Gamble or a Wilkes?

Please be more specific as to why people should be expected to lose their jobs over this.

Some recent examples:

Broc McCauly 16 pick Pre Season draft 2012
Joss Jenkins Trade Pick 31 2012 Draft
Lachlan Keefe Pick 92 2011 Draft

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

broc mcauley?

i seriously believe jacko ferguson isnt that far away. will be ready to go in 2013.

although it is a bit funny (in a black way) that we were all concerned about ruck stocks and low and behold our 2 young ruckmen go down in the first 8 weeks.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

SW is on the record as saying that Wilkes was recruited to provide some height and size in defence

After a lamentable forst NAB Cup game there he's been in attack ever since..until last night

has to be said that it appears the gamble with Wilkes has failed

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:SW is on the record as saying that Wilkes was recruited to provide some height and size in defence

After a lamentable forst NAB Cup game there he's been in attack ever since..until last night

I still feel a bit sorry for him S66au, as he was built up by fans in a similar fashion to Walsh last year.

He is what he is, personally I'd be surprised if he was recruited for anything more than depth.

If McEvoy, Stanley, Fisher and Gwilt were healthy, he wouldn't be playing.

If Fisher and Gwilt are right this week, I think he may find his way back to Sandy.

Gilbert and Goddard will probably move up the ground some more as a result?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote: has to be said that it appears the gamble with Wilkes has failed
Like the gamble with Gamble did 8-)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
saint66au wrote: has to be said that it appears the gamble with Wilkes has failed
Not getting much love, but I'd rather Siposs gets a run of games as that third forward...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
saint66au wrote:SW is on the record as saying that Wilkes was recruited to provide some height and size in defence

I still feel a bit sorry for him S66au, as he was built up by fans in a similar fashion to Walsh last year.

He is what he is, personally I'd be surprised if he was recruited for anything more than depth.

If Fisher and Gwilt are right this week, I think he may find his way back to Sandy.

Pretty spot on.

Depth player who can do a forwards job. A worse defender than Barry Hall (nice one Blight :roll: )

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Buckets wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Simpkin is already better than Dawson but not tall/big enough to play on ruckmen!
Well unless we have a ruckman sized defender it becomes a moot point then. When you have ruckman that are as capable as Cox and NicNat the defence will always struggle.
Did you watch McKenzie yesterday he made Roo look small and was very capable. Cox & Nic were playing against AFL midgets yesterday they don't do the same against teams with larger strong marking defenders. Cox kicked 5 that was his mist ever!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Pretty spot on.

Depth player who can do a forwards job. A worse defender than Barry Hall (nice one Blight :roll: )

Is he better than Fev?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

hilarious. i kept saying preseason for people to keep a big lid on expectations on wilkes and that we as only a back up depth fwd in the emergency that kosi or rooey go down and could well end up the next gamble.
as usual i was howled down and told he was a swingman who could play back and fwd and cover for zac and blah blah and ther such delusional crap.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

hilarious. i kept saying preseason for people to keep a big lid on expectations on wilkes and that we as only a back up depth fwd in the emergency that kosi or rooey go down and could well end up the next gamble.
as usual i was howled down and told he was a swingman who could play back and fwd and cover for zac and blah blah and ther such delusional crap.

I am unsure many said that but you were told by me and confirmed by SW that he was recruited as a backman. The problem was his form down back was ordinary so he then became a back up forward.