Contracts talks are open with BJ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Contracts talks are open with BJ...

Guess that's something...

Negotiations are continuing to secure a three-year deal at $550,00-$630,000 a season. Goddard, 27, would secure top dollar depending on incentives in his contract.

He would probably earn more if he left the Saints, but that scenario is increasingly unlikely.

Saints chief executive Michael Nettlefold and Goddard's manager Dan Richardson, of ESP, would not comment yesterday on the financial terms.

Nettlefold said: "We are committed to Brendon, and we believe Brendon is committed to us, and we're hoping the talks get more serious soon."

Asked if the talks were moving in the right direction, Richardson said: "We're in discussions and we're moving forward.

"The discussions are unfolding towards a result.

"I've got no reason to think they aren't moving in the right direction."

Richardson confirmed clubs had approached him about Goddard's future, but refused to name them.

It's known Greater Western Sydney has spoken to Richardson, who told the Giants that Goddard was basically committed to St Kilda.

It was recently revealed that Fremantle had a sizeable war chest and would be interested in Goddard if its pursuit of Collingwood's Travis Cloke hit the wall.

The clear understanding is that Goddard is not interested in rejoining former Saints coach Ross Lyon at Fremantle.

"We have a relationship with all clubs. We talk to a number of clubs about our players. That's what we do," Richardson said.

Goddard's market value has dropped significantly in recent seasons.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Contracts talks are open with BJ...

Nettlfold made similar comments about Ross. Was the Blindsided because he couldn't get er done.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Nettlfold made similar comments about Ross. Was the Blindsided because he couldn't get er done.
Relevance?

Are we supposed to just throw everything at BJ in order to lock him away, given his form over the last season and a half?

No doubt he wants big bucks and there's big bucks on offer out there. But we have to do the right thing by St Kilda.

That takes time and there's risks involved.

But as BC's guts would say, "Such Is Life".

philtee
Club Player

If he had performed with brilliance in half a dozen games this season, winning 2 or 3
off his own boot, and accruing a fistful of Brownlow votes, then pay him top dollar.
600-thou ? Not at the moment.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

550k-630k...tell him he's dreaming.

Isn’t the timing of the article interesting in the week is set to play his 200th. I wonder who instigated it, was it the Club, was it BJs camp or was it the HS?

I'm a big supporter of incentive/performance based contracts. If BJ was to get back to his best then there should be no reason why the club and BJ can't come up with a contract that sees him earning top dollar.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Nettlfold made similar comments about Ross. Was the Blindsided because he couldn't get er done.
What do you suggest Mr Smartarse?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Really 600k on current output?

I haven't seen it since GF's

I'd love Goddard to really start influencing games.... but right now he is slow, gets caught a bit and can't win his own ball...he desperately needs some 'inside' skills for mine or he'll always be a good player ... when the teams going well and can feed him.

“Yeah….nah””
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I dont even understand what this is supposed to mean :?

Can someone intrepret this gibberish?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Guess that's something...

Negotiations are continuing to secure a three-year deal at $550,00-$630,000 a season. Goddard, 27, would secure top dollar depending on incentives in his contract.

He would probably earn more if he left the Saints, but that scenario is increasingly unlikely.

Saints chief executive Michael Nettlefold and Goddard's manager Dan Richardson, of ESP, would not comment yesterday on the financial terms.

Nettlefold said: "We are committed to Brendon, and we believe Brendon is committed to us, and we're hoping the talks get more serious soon."

Asked if the talks were moving in the right direction, Richardson said: "We're in discussions and we're moving forward.

"The discussions are unfolding towards a result.

"I've got no reason to think they aren't moving in the right direction."

Richardson confirmed clubs had approached him about Goddard's future, but refused to name them.

It's known Greater Western Sydney has spoken to Richardson, who told the Giants that Goddard was basically committed to St Kilda.

It was recently revealed that Fremantle had a sizeable war chest and would be interested in Goddard if its pursuit of Collingwood's Travis Cloke hit the wall.

The clear understanding is that Goddard is not interested in rejoining former Saints coach Ross Lyon at Fremantle."We have a relationship with all clubs. We talk to a number of clubs about our players. That's what we do," Richardson said.

Goddard's market value has dropped significantly in recent seasons.
That's the bit that grabbed my attention !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

for the thousandth time this year
he will stay a saint

ffs

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

matrix wrote:for the thousandth time this year
he will stay a saint

ffs
Yep, never in doubt.

Hope we get an announcement before his 200th game.....

If we do, BJ to have a blinder......

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
matrix wrote:for the thousandth time this year
he will stay a saint

ffs
Yep, never in doubt.

Hope we get an announcement before his 200th game.....

If we do, BJ to have a blinder......
I'm with you guys....

Just happy that the club has opened talks now, I expect a host of signings now.

He will stay a Saint.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I've thought all along that he'll stay but gee the manner in which he played Sunday's game was like a bloke who didn't want to be there.

I'm really 50/50 on whether he'll stay.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:I've thought all along that he'll stay but gee the manner in which he played Sunday's game was like a bloke who didn't want to be there.

I'm really 50/50 on whether he'll stay.
Same here...Really didn't look like he was interested and considering he was out for 2 weeks for something stupid I thought he may have wanted to make things up with the boys for letting them down.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I'm a big supporter of incentive/performance based contracts. If BJ was to get back to his best then there should be no reason why the club and BJ can't come up with a contract that sees him earning top dollar.
how would you measure performance, though? brownlow votes? b and f finishes?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:I'm a big supporter of incentive/performance based contracts. If BJ was to get back to his best then there should be no reason why the club and BJ can't come up with a contract that sees him earning top dollar.
Certainly not hard ball gets... cause Goddard may owe us a few bucks...

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Certainly not hard ball gets... cause Goddard may owe us a few bucks...
This was a hard ball to get :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i think we need a timeline. we give him our best offer. and if he doesnt take it by a certain date we move on. we cant let it linger. while we are frozen other people are already negotiating with other players etc. if bj doesnt sign soon for us we need to making the best possible trade/deal for him. the risk is he leaves and we have lost our chance to run a hard deal .

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:i think we need a timeline. we give him our best offer. and if he doesnt take it by a certain date we move on. we cant let it linger. while we are frozen other people are already negotiating with other players etc. if bj doesnt sign soon for us we need to making the best possible trade/deal for him. the risk is he leaves and we have lost our chance to run a hard deal .
Con, if leaves to GWS we have no say in what we get in return…
If he leaves to free agency - we have no say in what we get in return…
If we don't match the offer - we can't trade him. There is no 'hard deal' to be had in this case unless we sign him up just to flog him off again.

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.
If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.
His club has the right to match the presented offer.
If the club matches the offer, he may choose to remain with his original club, seek a trade or enter the Draft.
If the club does not or can not match the offer, the player can move to the new club of his choice.
His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula to apply where clubs lose more free agents than they gain in any single transfer period.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

i was told this morning Goddard to Collingwood?

i highly doubt he is staying with us, he just isnt the same as he was.

if he trys any of that "il wait to the end of the year to sign" stuff i say drop him and give his replacement a head start in the last games of the year.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Performance based contracts would/could cover all you mentioned + All Australian, finals appearances (incl GFs), number of games played per year, ladder position and more !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:i was told this morning Goddard to Collingwood?

i highly doubt he is staying with us, he just isnt the same as he was.

if he trys any of that "il wait to the end of the year to sign" stuff i say drop him and give his replacement a head start in the last games of the year.
The same Collingwood who currently can't afford to keep their AA CHF and CHB? Less than zero chance imo

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
One percenters possibly and also finals games and premierships.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Back on Topic:

Our history suggests that these things normally get done within a week or two of becoming public. For all we know, the deal might already be done and the club & BJ are waiting for an appropriate time to announce it !!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend