Help a Yankee out

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Tornateo
Club Player

Help a Yankee out

Hey all, i'm an AFL fan from the states, and have decided its time I pick a team to follow. I've been a footy fan for three or four years now, and have kind of floated around between a few teams I enjoyed watching but I want to pick a team now and follow them. Started out looking at all the teams, but i've narrowed it down to either the Saints, Hawks or the Doggies. Being in the USA, it's a bit hard to find info about the teams and such so I was just wondering if you could tell me some selling points of the Saints? Also open to any reasons why I shouldn't be a fan of the Hawks or Bulldogs.

Sorry if this post is annoying or stupid, I just really want to make a good choice!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Help a Yankee out

The Saints (and Dogs) are considered the underdogs of the AFL. For me, this is a good enough reason to support the Saints as I could not think of anything more boring than following a successful Melbourne or interstate club.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:The Saints (and Dogs) are considered the underdogs of the AFL. For me, this is a good enough reason to support the Saints as I could not think of anything more boring than following a successful Melbourne or interstate club.
Not to mention those shocking Hawthorn colours. 

Wear those and you'll feel like you've just woken up from an all night Frat party where someone's been slipping laxatives into your booze. :P

Tornateo
Club Player

Hahaha actually I really liked that fact that St. Kilda are kind of an underdog. And I like their colors. And my uncle actually lives in St. Kilda lol not that that matters all that much, but it's kind of like a connection to the club lol

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Saints for sure. If you can cope with having your heart ripped out and stomped on every now and then. then you have a year like 2009 that was just unbelievable, but finished with that heart ripping thing again. 50 years for me and I'm still kickin so a young buck like you should be able to take it

mullet
Saintsational Legend

... oh yeah, and this forum is hilarious at times. Love following the game day threads when I cant get to the game. Dont worry about all the wankers on here, most are really whitty, intelligent people :?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

If you need to ask for reasons for being a Sainter....you're probably better looking elsewhere?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Tornateo wrote:Being in the USA, it's a bit hard to find info about the teams and such so I was just wondering if you could tell me some selling points of the Saints? Also open to any reasons why I shouldn't be a fan of the Hawks or Bulldogs.
the basic vibe of those three clubs is:

- hawks are the blue bloods from the nice part of town, politically conservative, born with silver spoons in their mouths, win a lot
- bulldogs are the real working class club, from the wrong side of the tracks, factories and unions are their lot in life, don't win much
- saints are the good time party club, always have fun and put on a good show but never quite win as much as they should

hope that helps?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Tornateo wrote:Being in the USA, it's a bit hard to find info about the teams and such so I was just wondering if you could tell me some selling points of the Saints? Also open to any reasons why I shouldn't be a fan of the Hawks or Bulldogs.
the basic vibe of those three clubs is:

- hawks are the blue bloods from the nice part of town, politically conservative, born with silver spoons in their mouths, win a lot
- bulldogs are the real working class club, from the wrong side of the tracks, factories and unions are their lot in life, don't win much
- saints are the good time party club, always have fun and put on a good show but never quite win as much as they should

hope that helps?
Hawks it is.

Bulldogs won't be around in 5 years

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
older saint
SS Life Member

Hawks - best current team but have a jumper consisting of 1's and 2's

Dogs - May not be here in 7 years time.

Saints - Best colours, moderate success, always in the press - not necessarily a good thing.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

This should be enough reason…

Tornateo
Club Player

I'm leaning towards the Saints. I've always liked watching them play. didn't know that the Dogs might not be around for long, also didn't know about Hawthorne being a richer/snobby area...plus that whole conservative thing just doesn't jive with me. I've got a question though, I've heard Milne is a pretty hated player (but i've only heard that from Collingwood/Richmond fans) so what I'm wondering is he a jerk? or a douche? or is it just a bad rap from the rape charges a few years ago?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Reality is (IMO) that a lot of these guys would be considered douches by the general public… Just like in the NFL or NBA… sports stars don't always make great people.

Milne has had the ongoing circus of that alleged incident for 8 years which doesn't help his reputation one bit. (the case has finally been put to bed, he was never charged)

Though he is hated anyway because
a. he is just one of the best small forwards of all time…
b. he mouths off better than anyone…
c. he gives it to opposition fans over the fence…
d. he has a funny lisp (trailer park style)
e. he does things that look like flukes every single week, very annoying for opposition
f. he is small
g. he also makes calamitous errors most weeks

Tornateo
Club Player

dragit wrote:Reality is (IMO) that a lot of these guys would be considered douches by the general public… Just like in the NFL or NBA… sports stars don't always make great people.

Milne has had the ongoing circus of that alleged incident for 8 years which doesn't help his reputation one bit. (the case has finally been put to bed, he was never charged)

Though he is hated anyway because
a. he is just one of the best small forwards of all time…
b. he mouths off better than anyone…
c. he gives it to opposition fans over the fence…
d. he has a funny lisp (trailer park style)
e. he does things that look like flukes every single week, very annoying for opposition
f. he is small
g. he also makes calamitous errors most weeks

Thats a good asnwer, and very true about most athletes being douches. I'm pretty sure i'm sold on the Saints now. they've always been a team i've liked to watch. I like that they're the underdogs. They have awesome colors. Seems like they have a good fanbase, So now help me out as a new Saints fan, what should I know abou the club?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Out of interest, have you posted on the Hawks and Dogs boards for them to plead a case too?

Tornateo
Club Player

dragit wrote:Out of interest, have you posted on the Hawks and Dogs boards for them to plead a case too?

I have a friend who is a Dogs supporter, and he tried to sell me on his team (but I didn't want to pick a team purely because he told me to) So I started looking into mulitple teams. I did post on a Hawks forum asking basically the same thing I asked here. But in the end I felt...Hawthorn is just too successful for me to decide to be a fan of. Seems like they've won a lot of Grand Finals, and their fans seemed to think quite highly of the team.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Tornateo wrote:... and their fans seemed to think quite highly of the team.
and themselves ... :roll: :wink:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Tornateo wrote:Hawthorn is just too successful for me to decide to be a fan of
Well if non-success is a prerequisite, StKilda will be perfect, welcome!!!

You should have a look at a couple of our better games this year to get a taster… rounds 7, 9 & 15 were very good…

Can you watch the videos on here?
http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/default.aspx

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Heres something to tip you over the line.

Saints one their one and only Championship (we call it Premiership or Flag) in 1966.

In 1967 there were two new NFL franchises, New Orleans, and Atlanta. One took our nickname, the other took our colours.

We like to think it was because of the mightly Saints in Australia :D :wink:

Depending whom you support in the NFL, however we have some pretty healthy crossover b/w NO Saints and St.Kilda Saints fans.

One on this forum, Peyton Place, is an ex-pat American living in Melb who is a passionate Saints/Saints fan.

People like myself are NO Saints supporters (have worn my Duece McAllister No.26 to numerous St.Kilda games).

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Tornateo
Club Player

dragit wrote:
Tornateo wrote:Hawthorn is just too successful for me to decide to be a fan of
Well if non-success is a prerequisite, StKilda will be perfect, welcome!!!

You should have a look at a couple of our better games this year to get a taster… rounds 7, 9 & 15 were very good…

Can you watch the videos on here?
http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/default.aspx

Wouldn't work, said since it only works for Australia...I am sure I can find highlights though on youtube or something. I'd love to see the full matches though.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Welcome Tornateo. :D

I agree with all the other posters on this.

Looking at your field of choices... our jumper is the best in the league, Hawthorn's was designed by the other (and little known) Marx brother, Skid. Footsray's jumper is IMHO, at best, boring... like the club.

St Kilda has been described in the press as 'mad'. After the 1997 Grand Final tragedy one newspaper article referred to us as "the league's most unconventional club". I like that... :lol:

If you need any more convincing (or warning off :wink: ), check out the thread started by one of your compatriots... 'A Comment On Saint's History'. If nothing else, you'll get to read what an out and out all-time champion of the game 'I' was... I know it was a while ago, but I can't figure out why some on here doubt me...? :cry:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77099

One word of warning though. Should you be silly enough to comment on the validity of Jason Gram's spot in the team (either for or against), then be prepared to cop a bit of grief. (To prove that point I'm now heading off to another thread to post re Grammy. :lol: )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Tornateo wrote:Wouldn't work, said since it only works for Australia...I am sure I can find highlights though on youtube or something. I'd love to see the full matches though.
i've PMed you a link which may help.

Tornateo
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
Tornateo wrote:Wouldn't work, said since it only works for Australia...I am sure I can find highlights though on youtube or something. I'd love to see the full matches though.
i've PMed you a link which may help.

You wonderful person!

Tornateo
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:Welcome Tornateo. :D

I agree with all the other posters on this.

Looking at your field of choices... our jumper is the best in the league, Hawthorn's was designed by the other (and little known) Marx brother, Skid. Footsray's jumper is IMHO, at best, boring... like the club.

St Kilda has been described in the press as 'mad'. After the 1997 Grand Final tragedy one newspaper article referred to us as "the league's most unconventional club". I like that... :lol:

If you need any more convincing (or warning off :wink: ), check out the thread started by one of your compatriots... 'A Comment On Saint's History'. If nothing else, you'll get to read what an out and out all-time champion of the game 'I' was... I know it was a while ago, but I can't figure out why some on here doubt me...? :cry:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77099

I just read through that thread it was brilliant. While I was pretty sure before, that really sold me. Also, I was wondering why exactly have the team been desribed as "mad" and unconventional? I'm just curious to know.

p.s. You all have been a lot more helpful and welcoming than those on the Hawks forum I posted on. So thanks for that!

MrCordz
Club Player

Eric Bana is a mad Saints fan!!!

Humbly St. Kilda