Freo Defensive Pressure

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Freo Defensive Pressure

This was amazing tonight - I just laughed when I heard Pavlich (who is a star) say at games end "as long as we give great effort......and everyone plays there role..."..........now where have I heard that before? super player and kicks goals when it counts it has to be said.

Lyons a great coach - Freo first ever big win in Melbourne and already this side has a harder,tougher edge..........gone are the soft marshmellow easy beats in Melb.

IMO we have to learn fron Freo this season and get back to introducing team defence when the opposition have the ball. I watched the Cats dismantle us at Etihad a few weeks back cause we allowed them way to much time/space whih they love to hit up targets........Freo hassled them, hurried them and they crumbled.

We are improving our scoring which has been great - but we've got to get better defensively. We've done it before so we can again and if we get that balance right we'll improve dramatically.

“Yeah….nah””
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Freo Defensive Pressure

Hopefully Adelaide bounce back and smash Freo next Friday

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I was actually happy in the end to see the Cats bleed for once.......theyve had their go ferk em.

“Yeah….nah””
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Ross doesn't believe in young player development ..he is focused on the now...

Freo's president is claiming they are focused on both....time will tell..

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Ross doesn't believe in young player development ..he is focused on the now...

No doubt he coaches for the now.

Pavlich just admitted post game that their improvement has come from them understanding Lyons gam plan but also said it comes from drafting 2,3,4 years ago now coming to fruition. 1 thing Ross can spot....is a young colt ready to hit prime. He'll still have battles when he loses a 7 goal fwd like Pavlich who is a freak, or Sandilands......but he has a talented mid group there.

“Yeah….nah””
andrewg
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:Ross doesn't believe in young player development ..he is focused on the now...

Rubbish!

Ross will make sure he makes finals each year to ensure his record looks great, won't win a flag and the high ladder finishes will give them crap picks. Buuuuuuut no problems for Ross, Port would have blooded all their young players for five years, put together a great list after 5 years of low picks and bam, he wil stab Ports coach in the back, stab Freo in the back when their Champs are aging and the career coach keeps on chewing them up and spitting them out. Ross Lyon is a friggen scumbag.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

They were typically Lyon

Very Good

Say whatever you like, he prepares and coaches a team for games better tham most....

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote: Ross will make sure he makes finals each year to ensure his record looks great, won't win a flag and the high ladder finishes will give them crap picks. Buuuuuuut no problems for Ross, Port would have blooded all their young players for five years, put together a great list after 5 years of low picks and bam, he wil stab Ports coach in the back, stab Freo in the back when their Champs are aging and the career coach keeps on chewing them up and spitting them out. Ross Lyon is a friggen scumbag.
thats him

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Freo looked like a better version of St Kilda in 2009 ... As much as it pains me put Goddard in that side with some decent form and they will be a real threat to the flag next year ... God I hate that !!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Freo looked like a better version of St Kilda in 2009 ... As much as it pains me put Goddard in that side with some decent form and they will be a real threat to the flag next year ... God I hate that !!
Yer I must say skill wise theyre better than we were in 09 - still they havent done it for a full season but round goals they make sides pay and dont have many Mqualters/Eddy's running round filling holes....

“Yeah….nah””
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:

Rubbish!

Ross will make sure he makes finals each year to ensure his record looks great, won't win a flag and the high ladder finishes will give them crap picks. Buuuuuuut no problems for Ross, Port would have blooded all their young players for five years, put together a great list after 5 years of low picks and bam, he wil stab Ports coach in the back, stab Freo in the back when their Champs are aging and the career coach keeps on chewing them up and spitting them out. Ross Lyon is a friggen scumbag.
Rubbish

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:
Rubbish!

Ross will make sure he makes finals each year to ensure his record looks great, ......
I'm failing to see the problem with that.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
andrewg
Club Player

The problem is he gets the teams close but the game plan is unsustainable and is and has been proven to be unsuccessful in grand finals. And he coaches for himself. I can't stand coaches that coach for their record. anyway expectation will build for Freo and like at st.kilda dreams will be shattered. It will be a pleasure to watch

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:The problem is he gets the teams close but the game plan is unsustainable and is and has been proven to be unsuccessful in grand finals. And he coaches for himself. I can't stand coaches that coach for their record. anyway expectation will build for Freo and like at st.kilda dreams will be shattered. It will be a pleasure to watch
Dean Bailey was a much better coach. Never failed in a grand final. Didn't coach for his record.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
andrewg wrote:The problem is he gets the teams close but the game plan is unsustainable and is and has been proven to be unsuccessful in grand finals. And he coaches for himself. I can't stand coaches that coach for their record. anyway expectation will build for Freo and like at st.kilda dreams will be shattered. It will be a pleasure to watch
Dean Bailey was a much better coach. Never failed in a grand final. Didn't coach for his record.
May have won one with our list :wink:

If Goddard goes to Freo, they are going to have to let go one or two good players to fit him in the salary cap.
As good as BJ is, he is vwery much into second half of his career and whether or not he is worth the money Freo would throw at him, plus the loss of the player or players they have to give up to get him, well time will tell, if he goes.
Think this was the last hurrah of this Geelong group, and as much as it pains me, you just have to admire what they achieved, just wish it was us that had done it, not them.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

yep Cats cooked also but have some good kids so will be a 5-10 side for a while but not genuine flag threat

“Yeah….nah””
andrewg
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
Bailey has won just as many GF as Ross, difference is Bailey still has his integrity.

realdeal
Club Player

andrewg wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
Bailey has won just as many GF as Ross, difference is Bailey still has his integrity.
I'm not sure if tanking on purpose for draft picks for 3 years and then not even developing them shows 'integrity'....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Like most I loathe how Lyon departed....but I fail to see your logic in thinking it is bad to have a coach that gets the team playing well in finals.

All the emotion in the world cannot mask that he can coach well.

I think Watters is a good acquisition...but equally we leaked too many easy goals against good teams this year. In half a dozen games we were in the game in the last quarter, but wilted every time. If he does not fix this in 2013, we will again not play finals....and I fail to see the merit in that.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Was very good.

Actually thought watching Friday night that the only kryptonite to that kind of excessive goal scoring was Lyon, Ross Lyon.

Credit to the recruiters there though, how good are some of their 20-24 year olds.

Nicely put together, well coached, I do love the media forgetting they played finals year before though and how they keep asking Pav has he had to share his finals wisdom.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:If Goddard goes to Freo, they are going to have to let go one or two good players to fit him in the salary cap.
As good as BJ is, he is vwery much into second half of his career and whether or not he is worth the money Freo would throw at him, plus the loss of the player or players they have to give up to get him, well time will tell, if he goes.
Think this was the last hurrah of this Geelong group, and as much as it pains me, you just have to admire what they achieved, just wish it was us that had done it, not them.
Freo have enough cap space to fit Goddard in without losing any of their players

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Freo looked like a better version of St Kilda in 2009 ... As much as it pains me put Goddard in that side with some decent form and they will be a real threat to the flag next year ... God I hate that !!
Yer I must say skill wise theyre better than we were in 09 - still they havent done it for a full season but round goals they make sides pay and dont have many Mqualters/Eddy's running round filling holes....
Freo are where we were in 2008 except a fair bit further along in the process of living the Lyon process then we were ...

Think @ St Kilda Ross had his "blue chip" Roo at Freo he has Pav he had his annoying small forward Milne in Freo he has the younger Ballantyne .. He had his dominant ruck in gardi at Freo the more dominant Sandi the capable back up ruck in King at Freo Griffin the up and coming ruck in McEvoy at Freo Clarke ... The reliable defender Fisher at Freo Mcpharlin .. Tagger CJ @ Freo Crowley .. The Mr fix it Blake at Freo McPhee ... The gumby decoy forward Kosi @ Freo Kepler ... The ball magnet Lenny at Freo Barlow the silky skilled Dal at Freo Fyfe and a weak but reliable whipping boy defender Dawson @ Freo Dawson ... Freo are Ross Lyons purple version of the saints except he has more speed and better users of the ball now....

Ross got us to within a kick of a flag twice it sickens me but he has the tools to go better at Freo !!! God o hate them

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We won 19 in a row and lost three games for the year by a total of 19 points yet Freo are a better version of us in 2009?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

The way they played tonight they would be a 19 win side aswell it took us 3/4 of 2008 to get to the point where we were able to play the lock in style in a manner that made us dominant in 2009 Freo have picked it up quicker and have less holes in their list then we had e.g. No need for gap fillers like Mcqualter or Eddy