Saints leading Caddy race

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Saints leading Caddy race

Read this in the paper today. Interesting to see what happens may give up a first round pick 12 or 13 ( i think Goddard will go) for him. Ess offered 19 last year and got knocked back.

Would be a good get as adds to the next crop of players to come through considering our drafting for that age was always later in any round.

PJ
SS Life Member

Re: Saints leading Caddy race

Which paper?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Found it obviously the club know Brendan is leaviung and can offer Caddy a few more dollars -

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl-news-disp ... ddy-198119

I understand the Saints had met with him early this year so hopefully it comes to fruition.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

How would anyone possibly know who is leading the race. Is it just an assumption because the media believe BJ is going and we will have an extra first round pick? Even if we do, there are plenty of other Melbourne clubs with better picks.

If we lose Goddard and get Caddy with his compo pick, plus a bit more room in the cap to maybe look at some other trades. Keep our pick 12 for a good young kid. Will supporters be ok with this. I will be if he wants to go.

Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Read this in the paper today. Interesting to see what happens may give up a first round pick 12 or 13 ( i think Goddard will go) for him. Ess offered 19 last year and got knocked back.

Would be a good get as adds to the next crop of players to come through considering our drafting for that age was always later in any round.
Well Ess finished under us, and so have lower pick than us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
older saint wrote:Read this in the paper today. Interesting to see what happens may give up a first round pick 12 or 13 ( i think Goddard will go) for him. Ess offered 19 last year and got knocked back.

Well Ess finished under us, and so have lower pick than us.
Not anymore since they're committed to Joe Daniher (father/son)

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

The doggies have 2 picks, would they be interested

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

If we get him will Linen House be renamed the Caddy Shack

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Free agency rules are unfair. If BJ leaves, and we pick up another FA, our compensation will be affected to the point to where a first round pick becomes second or third round. So why is it that our compensation is affected but a club simply picking up players doesnt give up anything?

Im keen as on Caddy, watched him a bit this year and is an awesome prospect for a teenager regardless of what his stats were, if he was to come to us he would be at the top of the list in under 21 year olds.

Something tells me we will make play for Toy, Caddy and Hickey but Im just not sure how!!

I am a lot more interested in those three compared to recruiting a so so player with little improvement to be had on the wrong side of 25 for the sake of fulfilling an immediate need.

Now one last thought, if we were able to keep BJ, would we be happy to get Caddy with our first rounder assuming we have space in our cap as has been reported?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Buckets
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:Free agency rules are unfair. If BJ leaves, and we pick up another FA, our compensation will be affected to the point to where a first round pick becomes second or third round. So why is it that our compensation is affected but a club simply picking up players doesnt give up anything?

Im keen as on Caddy, watched him a bit this year and is an awesome prospect for a teenager regardless of what his stats were, if he was to come to us he would be at the top of the list in under 21 year olds.

Something tells me we will make play for Toy, Caddy and Hickey but Im just not sure how!!

I am a lot more interested in those three compared to recruiting a so so player with little improvement to be had on the wrong side of 25 for the sake of fulfilling an immediate need.

Now one last thought, if we were able to keep BJ, would we be happy to get Caddy with our first rounder assuming we have space in our cap as has been reported?

Why do I get the feeling that we may dangle Dal out there for one of those players?

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
philtee
Club Player

I've heard that rumour too, Buckets.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
St Ick wrote:Free agency rules are unfair. If BJ leaves, and we pick up another FA, our compensation will be affected to the point to where a first round pick becomes second or third round. So why is it that our compensation is affected but a club simply picking up players doesnt give up anything?

Why do I get the feeling that we may dangle Dal out there for one of those players?

I reckon if BJ goes that is a million to one.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Buckets wrote:

Why, it would make mroe sense to me, no point keeping him or anyone over 27

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Buckets wrote:
Why, it would make mroe sense to me, no point keeping him or anyone over 27

Hope you are joking.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Yes I would give up the first round DP for Caddy, subject to a medical - if Goddard stays, which I hope he does.....

Hold your ground :shock:
vacuous space
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:[Caddy] is an awesome prospect for a teenager regardless of what his stats were...
Can you explain this? He played ~75% of games, mostly as an onballer and only managed 15 touches a game. His disposal wasn't particularly good and his inside numbers were pretty blah as well (2 clearances, 6 CP, 2.5 tackles per game). What magic showed up on screen when watching him live that didn't show up on the stat sheet?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

vacuous space wrote:
St Ick wrote:[Caddy] is an awesome prospect for a teenager regardless of what his stats were...
Can you explain this? He played ~75% of games, mostly as an onballer and only managed 15 touches a game. His disposal wasn't particularly good and his inside numbers were pretty blah as well (2 clearances, 6 CP, 2.5 tackles per game). What magic showed up on screen when watching him live that didn't show up on the stat sheet?
The fact that he is a teenager mean much to you? That his stats, while not brilliant were similar to Judd, Swan etc at the same age. When a kid is 19, you look for glimpses of class to see how good he will be and I think he has it based on what I saw. Look at Sippa's stats, he is a similar age, most on here believe we have a beauty in him yet that perception is purely based on glimpses of pure class...

Strength through Loyalty
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:If we get him will Linen House be renamed the Caddy Shack
Only if Dangerfield was also to join the club.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Im happy to spend 13 on Caddy and 12 on the best young gun key fwd available!

(p.s too al those people who say just get 'best available and dont worry about position' - how do you explain jack darling at pick 27?) so the puritanical 'best available' approach is great in theory but rubbish in reality - so i say lets go for 'best available key tall fwd' . just as risky as the more 'pure' approach and at least gives us some hope with what we realy need in the short-medium term future.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Im happy to spend 13 on Caddy and 12 on the best young gun key fwd available!

(p.s too al those people who say just get 'best available and dont worry about position' - how do you explain jack darling at pick 27?) so the puritanical 'best available' approach is great in theory but rubbish in reality - so i say lets go for 'best available key tall fwd' . just as risky as the more 'pure' approach and at least gives us some hope with what we realy need in the short-medium term future.

At least you have used one example to help you. Probably 50 to prove you wrong. Pick the best player available at pick 12 and they will which is good.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Im happy to spend 13 on Caddy and 12 on the best young gun key fwd available!

At least you have used one example to help you. Probably 50 to prove you wrong. Pick the best player available at pick 12 and they will which is good.
Agree, which is happening far too often lately, should I be concerned?

Last time we recruited for our needs high in the draft we ended up with Lynchy. As much as I rated him, it shows there is no such thing as a sure thing when it comes to fwds/backs. Therefore, best available with first round picks thanks. Darling is a poor example as it was not his size, position or ability that caused him to drop. Fisher, Siposs, Simpkin, Blake etc all came from lower in the draft.

Strength through Loyalty
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

im a huge supporter of cripps but he can't compare with darling at this stage .
as for tom lynch I think they over rated him based on his postcode being local.
if we bag caddy i reckon we should and can take a risk on key fwd.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:im a huge supporter of cripps but he can't compare with darling at this stage .
as for tom lynch I think they over rated him based on his postcode being local.
if we bag caddy i reckon we should and can take a risk on key fwd.

Con went to see Dragons play Gippsland today. Sandy were beaten by 4 points. Anyway the FF and captain of Gippsland kicked about 7. Tall leading forward and you can tell he can really play. Might be what you are looking for. Tim Memberey is his name. It was a great game and was looking mainly at Sandy players. Their cpatain is also a very good player but maybe a bit short to be drafted. His name is Mangoni. A couple of Ormond boys did well and they are Kenny Ong who could be rookied as well as Michael Barnes who could also be rookied.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Would BJ stay if he could have a personal Caddy?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

GC have to shed a number of players due to their list concession expiring this year. Adding to their challenges their list faces O'Meara comes into their senior list and they will likely gain Kurt Tippet. Cos of these circumstances the hot tip is they are trying to package a number of players for pick(s). These players include Caddy, Weller, Toy and Hickey. I wouldn't be surprised to see the club that gets Caddy will pay top dollar worth of pick(s) and also get one or two other players such as the ones mentioned. GC will not take players, only picks, sans Tippet.