How would we feel if Roo missed a GF to be at birth of child

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

How would we feel if Roo missed a GF to be at birth of child

In light of Luke Hodge announcing that regardless of when his partner gives birth this week, he'll be playing in the GF, I was just wondering how we would have responded in 09 and 2010 if Roo had announced that he would be at his partner's side rather than play in the GF? I heard Sam mItchell's wife say today that she would be forcing Mitchell to be at her side if the situation was the same for her.

I know plenty will say fair enough, and family comes first etc etc. BUT I have read enough irrational rants on here (probably some of my own) to get the feeling that if push came to shove 99% of us would be furious - especially if it came down to a kick or two.

My own opinion - I have two daughters (aged 12 and 10) who I love to death, and a wife who I'm happily married to. However for me, being at the birth is well and good, but as my kids grow up, I actually reckon there are far more important events in their life than being there for when they arrive. I know plenty of dads who profess to bawling their eyes out at the birth of their son, then refuse to get up and help feed the baby in the middle of the night, or barely change a nappy. That's where the real support of your partner comes into it I reckon. Not getting all emotional with your son or daughters' arrival and all lovey dovey with your partner, then going out that night with your mates and getting poleaxed like so many seem to do. I'm glad I was there for my kids birth, but if I played AFL footy (in fact even if I played local footy still) a GF will always take precedence to me. I would be mortified if I knew my dad had an oportunity to playt in a premiership but he chose to attend my birth. In fact I woulod be slightly disappointed with him.

I know it's a personal choice - however in Hodge's situation, he has 50,000 members and a 600k salary invested. It's not as personal I reckon cos there's so many other stake holders who are depending on you. Hopefully he has the rest of his life to spend with his children - a memory they will never know is whether he was there for their birth.

I'm with Hodgey on this one, and I would hope and expect that Roo would make the same call. 8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: How would we feel if Roo missed a GF to be at birth of c

I think if it was your first you may think about it. It also depends on your partner. She would know how important footy is to you and you have probably met because of footy and hopefully she would give her blessing for you to play. If she didnt and it was your first child then it would be very hard to make the right decision. Lets face it probably 99% of jobs would allow you to the birth. Having had one child it was a great experience watching the birth. i havent been lucky enough to play footy at a higher enough level to know what a GF would be like. If it was up to my ex wife she would allowed me to watch a GF ahead of a child birth but we did meet at the Saints Taberat so she does love her footy. Matter of fact I reckon she would have the kid at the footy.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I would hope he was by his wife side.

It's only a game.

People seem to narrow this discussion down to being there to experience the birth or not...

Sorry to be morbid, but if there were complications, you'd regret that you weren't by their sides surely?

Lots of babies don't make it, lots of wifes don't....

Childbirth is not always textbook, no point pretending that it is.

Kate
Club Player

If my husband had chosen to play a game rather than support me though labour and childbirth, I'd never feel the same way about him again. Life has to take pecidence otherwise you're living in a fantasyland.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I would hope he was by his wife side.

It's only a game.

People seem to narrow this discussion down to being there to experience the birth or not...

Sorry to be morbid, but if there were complications, you'd regret that you weren't by their sides surely?

Well it is actually a job. Like i said I think it would be hard decision and more than likely they would have met because or though footy so i dont think it is as straight forward as he should be there.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

It's only a game.

Well it is actually a job. Like i said I think it would be hard decision and more than likely they would have met because or though footy so i dont think it is as straight forward as he should be there.
I just don't like when the argument is simplistic as 'experiencing the birth or not' that's all...which is what you alluded to.

There is so much more on the line than that...

Moods
Saintsational Legend

It's only a game.

That's a fair point Sainterk. And you're right. If something did go wrong and you weren't there to support, it would be a lifelong regret. For me it would be a lifelong regret if I didn't play and missed that opportunity. What P66 says is correct as well. My wife loves her footy as does all my in laws. I think it would be expected that I play. For some, they only see it as a game. This is where I find your response surprising though sainterK. If it was 'only a game' why do we care so much about the outcome? Why do we cry when we win finals (or lose them)? Why do we hug strangers after close finals (09 prelim) Let's face it, to some it's only a game, but to the nuts like us that subscibe to fan forums just so they can talk about their footy teams - it has to be a bit more than 'just a game.' Just a game to me is indoor cricket, or mixed netball. This is professional sport at it's highest level.

Would ppl expect Usain Bolt to forfeit running in the 100m Olympic final because his wife was due to give birth??? I guess what I'm saying though, is most child births in this day and age do go smoothly.

I'm not saying that footy is more important than anything. I recall in 2000 James Hird sitting with his critically ill son in hospital the night before the prelim. Sheeds sat with him. His boy came through and Hirdy played, but I think it's the reason he has always shown Sheedy unconditional loyalty. Sheeds desperately wanted Hirdy to play, but knew that this was more important. Of course there are more important things, but at this level, not that many.

I

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It's only a game.

I just don't like when the argument is simplistic as 'experiencing the birth or not' that's all...which is what you alluded to.

There is so much more on the line than that...

Well I certainly didnt go into the birth thinking something could go wrong so i was there to experience it. My wife had a cesarean so she wasnt in pain at all so it was really all about the experience. Got some great photos to that should really embarrass my daughter at her 18th.

Gershwin
Club Player

Would expect Roo to be at the birth but as a long-suffering supporter I would think just another way for us to lose a GF!

summertime and the living is easy ........
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

A player with enough common sense would make sure to plan having a child with their partner so there'd be no chance of it being born during a finals series.

Nah, just kidding :P

Actually, a couple of weeks ago, an American baseball player left a game in the 7th inning after being informed of the news that his wife had unexpectedly gone into labour. http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?conte ... 5&c_id=mlb

Didn't Sav Rocca once leave a finals game for the same reason?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
markp
Saintsational Legend

It's not just a game, it's a cut-throat multi-million dollar business, and a gf is the ultimate.

In any other field, if you were paying someone that sort of coin and they decided not to front for such a vital and non-replicatable deal or moment for such a reason then you'd sack them.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

By the time we make our next GF Riewoldt may have grandchildren!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:It's not just a game, it's a cut-throat multi-million dollar business, and a gf is the ultimate.

In any other field, if you were paying someone that sort of coin and they decided not to front for such a vital and non-replicatable deal or moment for such a reason then you'd sack them.
It isn't any other field though.

It's football.

Ask Jarrod McVeigh if he'd have missed the birth of his first daughter :(

If it's possible, it doesn't hurt to try and avoid being due in the season, least of all finals...just like some women avoid being heavily pregnant in the heat of summer....but then you understand those who maybe finding it difficult to fall pregnant would not be so choosey, and would just be happy to hear that they are expecting.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
markp wrote:It's not just a game, it's a cut-throat multi-million dollar business, and a gf is the ultimate.

It's football.
Hang on - how is it any different? You're still paid 100's of thousands of dollars to do it. You're the captain and one of the leaders of a multi million dollar organisation that has 10's of thousands of members who rely on you in a sport that is a multi billion dollar industry. How is it different?

I just find this argument of 'it's only a game' very amusing.

How many of us actually believe that Usain Bolt would forfeit running in the 100m final at the Olympic GAMES
How many of us would expect Cadel Evans to forfeit riding the final leg of the Tour De France whilst in the lead to be at the birth of his child?
What about Andy Murray at a Wimbledon final?

I reckon it becomes more clearly defined when it's an individual sport. In a team sport we tend to think that someone else can take up the slack, and 'we're still a chance.'

I recall reading in astonishment in 06 when Darren Jolly said he'd be at the birth of the baby if it occurred on GF day. His reasoning was that his wife would never forgive him. I may sound selfish, but I reckon that's a very selfish attitude that his wife took.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Don't think I have ever fully recovered from seeing my 2 kids births... It was always a women only affair for eons, I totally understand why now.

I agree with the timing thing, anyone being paid 500k - 1 mil a year for one real purpose - a premiership, should make sure really make sure they don't have to chose.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
SainterK wrote:

It's football.
Hang on - how is it any different? You're still paid 100's of thousands of dollars to do it. You're the captain and one of the leaders of a multi million dollar organisation that has 10's of thousands of members who rely on you in a sport that is a multi billion dollar industry. How is it different?

I just find this argument of 'it's only a game' very amusing.

How many of us actually believe that Usain Bolt would forfeit running in the 100m final at the Olympic GAMES
How many of us would expect Cadel Evans to forfeit riding the final leg of the Tour De France whilst in the lead to be at the birth of his child?
What about Andy Murray at a Wimbledon final?

I reckon it becomes more clearly defined when it's an individual sport. In a team sport we tend to think that someone else can take up the slack, and 'we're still a chance.'

I recall reading in astonishment in 06 when Darren Jolly said he'd be at the birth of the baby if it occurred on GF day. His reasoning was that his wife would never forgive him. I may sound selfish, but I reckon that's a very selfish attitude that his wife took.
Our opinions differ Moods, which is OK.

I just think guys should be there, made it pretty clear why, even if it's a rather sobering way of looking at it...

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

No way in the world should he miss the Grand Final. No woman should even expect it.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Sam Mitchells wife should pull her head in. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Sam Mitchells wife should pull her head in. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.
Yes, quite known what happened.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

It's a tough one fact is though playing footy is how he puts food on the table and that is important .. I know guys who do FIFO who can't be there for the birth I know guys serving in Afghanistan who can't make it back for the birth ... It depends on the situation .. The other side of it say Roo decided to play in the G/F and had a shocker as his mind was else where if we lost the game he would come under massive criticism ... Simple solution no rooting in the months of December , January and to be safe early Feb ... I'm sure all players will be happy to do that ;)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Superstar
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Sam Mitchells wife should pull her head in. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.
Yes, quite known what happened.

Didn't Sam Mitchell and his wife nearly lose one of there twins days after being born???

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

"I'm not touching this one!"

ljpoyz
Club Player

Just asked my fiance whether she'd care if I missed birth of child for club cricket 1st XI grand final. She laughed and said "please, i'd want you to play!"

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:It's a tough one fact is though playing footy is how he puts food on the table and that is important .. I know guys who do FIFO who can't be there for the birth I know guys serving in Afghanistan who can't make it back for the birth ... It depends on the situation .. The other side of it say Roo decided to play in the G/F and had a shocker as his mind was else where if we lost the game he would come under massive criticism ... Simple solution no rooting in the months of December , January and to be safe early Feb ... I'm sure all players will be happy to do that ;)
Well...maybe with their wifes :wink:

Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

Two words - "Planning" "Condom".

I would expect Roo to play.
I would demand he play.
That is his job.
That is what he is paid for.
To not do so would be unprofessional.
Would let his team-mates down.
Would let his coach down.
Would let the supporters down.
Would let the club down.

There is no reason with today's technology why they couldn't induce his wife two days before.
But if not, too bad, she knew the risk getting knocked up by a senior AFL player, and should realise the last Saturday in September is the holiest of holy dates.

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!