Sainbrat, Dave McNamara & bergholt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Sainbrat, Dave McNamara & bergholt

Set your tellies to ABCTV1. Saw the promo last night for the "Jack Irish" series, can't recall if it was to start on 14th or 16th October.....sorry too much red wine over the years and my short term memory is shot a bit :(

So during the off season and trade/draft time we will be able to be distracted by Peter Temple's Saint tragic private investigator clearing up crime in Melbourne's inner suburbs. Hope they don't change Irish and his pub mates from being converted Saints supporters into followers of Pies or Carlscum.

Enjoy the series kiddie winks :P

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Sainbrat, Dave McNamara & bergholt

loris wrote:Set your tellies to ABCTV1. Saw the promo last night for the "Jack Irish" series, can't recall if it was to start on 14th or 16th October.....sorry too much red wine over the years and my short term memory is shot a bit :(

So during the off season and trade/draft time we will be able to be distracted by Peter Temple's Saint tragic private investigator clearing up crime in Melbourne's inner suburbs. Hope they don't change Irish and his pub mates from being converted Saints supporters into followers of Pies or Carlscum.

Enjoy the series kiddie winks :P
Thanks for that Loris... :D Rexy will also be pretty interested.

I hope they do it well. I must say I'm not sure that Guy Pearce is a physical fit for our hero(?)

BTW, I don't drink, so your post has got me pondering what could be my excuse for the short term memory failings...? :?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SaintJohn1956
Club Player

I could be wrong but I thought Jack was a Fitzroy supporter.

Saint John
Sunil_saint
Club Player

Hey Loris .as an obvious ABC Nut have you been watching that wonderful series "Call The Midwife " ....????

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SaintJohn1956 wrote:I could be wrong but I thought Jack was a Fitzroy supporter.

Jack may have been, but Peter Temple author is a saint, and Saints games are mentioned in books alobg with Mrs Gerhig the housekeeper

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

SaintJohn1956 wrote:I could be wrong but I thought Jack was a Fitzroy supporter.
Hi ST J, you are not wrong.

However when the 'Roys folded (just ten years too early as it turned out :evil: ), Jack and his mates refused to buy into the AFL weazel words and spin that they still had a team... but it had just moved a bit... :roll:

So they needed a new club. A real, historic, foundation club, with a great looking jumper. They felt that they could relate to the Saintas.

A painful choice sure, but the only true and proper thing to do - as all of us on here (the odd troll aside) know. :wink:

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Set your tellies to ABCTV1... Enjoy the series kiddie winks :P
Hey Loris, I reckon that we could run a sweep on how many seconds it takes you to identify the actual pub they film in.

I'll start... 8 seconds. :wink:

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for that link St B. :)

Seems that one of the scriptwriters, Andrew Knight, also wrote on Rake.

Combining the standard of script and dialogue from Peter Temple, and adding a bit of that of Rake... dream team... I'm excited! :D

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I just watched the behind the scenes -and the pub is shown there.
along with some sneak preview

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I guess the season is officially over.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Jack Irish was a Roys supporter, then switched to the Saints with the demise of Fitzroy. Talk about a loser!
Excellent reading by the way.

Apologies to Dave McNamara. Did'nt see your post.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

they are throwing big dollars at it. Guy Pierce wouldn't come cheap and Andrew Knight is the Aaron Spelling of Aussie TV he wrote Seachange and has since done just about every successful TV series since. It looks too schmick for mine, I somehow envisaged something grungier and edgier.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

They borrowed a lot of Fitzroy memorabilia from the Fitzroy museum in Mordialloc (behind Mordi rail station) for the pub set in the show. That much I do know.

There is a section in one chapter of the books where Irish and his boozer mates are all in the pub getting pissed and talking about Stan stuffing up in the 97 Grannie by not moving Burkey on to Jarman in the last quarter and leaving Heatley on the bench for too long. I actually agreed with both those observations.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Set your tellies to ABCTV1. Saw the promo last night for the "Jack Irish" series, can't recall if it was to start on 14th or 16th October.....sorry too much red wine over the years and my short term memory is shot a bit :(
Thanks loris, will keep an eye out for it! I'm never quite sure about TV adaptations of books but holding out hope for that one.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

This answers the "which pub did they use question?" and more...
Blood on the bluestone: Life and crimes of Peter Temple Save

Lauded crime writer Peter Temple, 66, best known for his Jack Irish novels set in the underworld of Melbourne, has never been a fan of editors. An ex- journalist, he went on to teach aspiring cadets before setting himself to writing novels at the tender age of 50.

“I don’t get edited much at all. I never have,” he reveals. “I can’t bear it, for a start. I usually make a big fuss and act up. After a while they say, ‘All right, all right, leave it in’. Of course, I’m always very grateful when they save me from my own stupidity.”

Unleashing a deep-seated belly chuckle, there’s no doubting the truth to his observations, but there’s a slab of hearty humour included. He’s got the chops to carry it off, too. With nine novels to his name, Temple has scored no fewer than five Ned Kelly Awards, Australia’s pre-eminent crime-writing gong. He also became the first Australian to win the Duncan Lawrie Dagger (formerly known as Gold Dagger), the world’s richest crime fiction prize, from the UK Crime Writers’ Association in 2007.

When he won the prestigious Miles Franklin Award for the non-Jack Irish book Truth in 2010, however, it was a case of a crime fiction novelist playing in the literary greats’ sandpit that ruffled a few feathers.

“I’ve never been much for thinking about genre – if you like a book, you like it,” Temple says. “I’m concerned with the quality of the writing. You’d hate to think something would be disqualified because it obeyed some genre conventions.”

It wasn’t just the snobs who were shocked; some of his cohorts said he shouldn’t want to be a part of that world. “It was a brave thing for the judges to do, and in a way it made my life a lot more difficult because they are hard acts to follow, those things,” he says. “I’ve been admitted to a club that should never have allowed me through the door.”

After many years of near-misses, the first two of the four Jack Irish novels will be brought to life by the ABC when Bad Debts and Black Tide go to air as telemovies over two consecutive Sundays from this weekend.

Starring Guy Pearce as the criminal lawyer-turned-private investigator and debt collector, the telemovies are grounded recognisably in Melbourne’s inner north, where Temple used to live, with the graffiti-strewn walls of Fitzroy and Collingwood, bluestone cobbled laneways and trams trundling along Brunswick Street forming the backdrop.

Carving his own unmistakably Melbourne noir, Temple fashions a world that captures the reader with a Fitzroy mired in murder, drug deals and duplicity. It was vitally important for Temple that Melbourne come alive on the page. He says that back when he started the Jack Irish yarns, the city wasn’t quite as temperate as it’s become. “It was gloomy, with incredibly wet, very cold winters only enlivened by football.”

Born in South Africa in 1946, Temple moved to Australia with his wife in 1980, spending his adult years kicking around the same stomping grounds as Jack. “I worked just off Brunswick Street and saw it change from being just a couple of cafes, a gunsmith and a few central European clubs where people played snooker and cards, to what it is now. That’s where I knew best when I started writing.”

Jack seldom ventures out of this patch. “He has been known to cross the Yarra, to see his sister, but it’s always unwillingly, and he does venture into the countryside, usually on horse matters, but it’s always with a certain disdain,” Temple says.

Of course, the linchpin of any good crime novel is the local pub, and in Jack’s world it’s the Prince of Prussia. Locating a real watering hole to play the part in the series wasn’t easy.

“They had tremendous difficulty finding one that didn’t want to charge you so much you had to mortgage a house for a day’s rental, so they built one,” Temples chuckles. “It’s terrific, full of old Fitzroy Football Club memorabilia. It looks good, and the old codgers in it look very good, too.”

Temple praises the efforts of director Jeffrey Walker (Rake, Angry Boys), saying that the ABC series’ production values look bigger than TV. He also commends writer Andrew Knight (Rake, SeaChange) who deftly updated the source material.

“Andrew asked me to look at stuff in the beginning and I immediately acted up, then common sense prevailed. I said, ‘Just go and don’t show it to me’,” Temple says.

Initially doubtful, Temple’s impressed by Pearce’s performance. “I was taken aback when Guy was first suggested,” he says. “I couldn’t see him as Jack at all, although I’ve never really seen Jack. I’ve always tried not to. I don’t like seeing my characters, but five minutes into the first one he was Jack, as far as I’m concerned. He’s a terrific actor with a real brooding presence.”

Temple hopes the uniformly strong cast, including Don Hany, Shane Jacobson, Marta Dusseldorp and Diana Glenn, can be reassembled for the next two instalments, though sadly, multi-award-winning German actor Vadim Glowna, who plays cabinetmaker Charlie Taub, passed away early this year.

“He’s terrific and loved being in them, but unfortunately he’s gone,” he says. “Ideally one would film them all in one go. There are a couple of other people, dare I say it, they’re not the youngest cast. I want these boys looked after.”

He toyed with writing his own screenplay a few years back, but soon abandoned ship. It’s not an easy job, with complex plots and more than 32 recurring characters to juggle.

“Somebody counted them,” he laughs, genuinely amazed at the level of dedication exhibited by his fans. Of course, this fervour has a downside. “You’re stuck with 32 individual biographies and you have to update them. When I got rid of Jack’s girlfriend in the second book, my publisher said, ‘You’re mad, where’s Linda? I’m not reading any further unless she’s coming back’.’’

Growing up in South Africa, Temple enjoyed the hard-boiled crime fiction of Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett and Ross Macdonald but says he never aimed to mimic them. “One would be silly to pretend you weren’t influenced, but I didn’t want to write that sort of thing,” he says. “They were very much about loners walking down mean streets by themselves, whereas the Jack Irish books are big ensemble pieces.”

He’s always given Jack a breather in between appearances, like his sixth novel, In The Evil Day, which kicks off in Johannesburg and races through London, Hamburg and the Welsh hills, or 1998’s An Iron Rose, featuring blacksmith Mac Faraday.

“I could never write two in a row – I’ve always interspersed them with stand-alones, which is important,” he says. “It keeps you fresh.”

Temple continues his love affair with Melbourne from afar, having decamped to Ballarat over two decades ago.

“We had no intention of staying, but then our boy got settled at school,” he says. “It’s one of those stories – we thought, ‘We’ll stay another year’. Years pass, he’s grown up and doesn’t even live in Australia, and we’re still here.”

Temple is quite happy writing in his big old house, with a library so full he can’t even find his own novels, and it’s close enough to Melbourne to visit whenever he likes.

“I’ve been able to watch Melbourne from a distance; which is quite good, because you get a bit of perspective on it,” he says.

He’s working on a third book in the non-Jack sequence that kicked off with The Broken Shore – which in 2007 won the Duncan Lawrie Dagger, and was followed by Truth, the latter to be adapted for the silver screen by Tropfest founder and Swimfan director John Polson, though the juices aren’t quite flowing yet.

“That’s the theory, but the practice is quite different,” Temple admits. “I’m also supposed to be writing the fifth Jack Irish. It’s fairly well advanced, but it’s been made difficult by the existence of these films. I’ve been given a picture of Jack that now lurks in my mind. How do I write a book now that doesn’t conflict?”

And if this is Jack’s final outing, will he make it through in one piece or will there be a gruesome ending?

“I would never do that, because people would kill me,” he says. “People like Jack. I think he’s immortal.”

Temple sees no need to tie everything up in a pretty little bow, either, so completists may be left baying for more.

“Life is messy. You reach a point where something seems to have ended for the moment, just leave it there. It can come back, it can change. Nothing is ever finished. Nothing.”

When Temple is back in town, he loves to wander around the old haunts he’s so familiar with, whether that’s Brunswick Street or grabbing a coffee and a bite to eat at Pellegrini’s. Basically he sticks to Jack’s beat, so how much of him is there in his hero?

“None at all,” he retorts, without a flicker of hesitation. “Jack’s a person of character. I have no character.”

http://www.melbournetimesweekly.com.au/ ... e/?cs=1219

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Series was commissioned by my Brother In Law at the ABC so that's a good enough reason for me and the wife to tune in. :D

loris
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for that article Davey Mc.........................

Heavens to Betsy..................... whaaaat built a pub................... and I suppose the grog will be water.................. oh I hate poetic licence taken in putting things on the screen. :evil:

No doubt with the death of the actor who plays Charlie the cabinet maker, I s'pose that means if the other two Jack Irish novels are eventually put to the screen, his old mate Charlie will have to be written out of the telly series.................. more poetic licence. Then again Jack did have designs on taking over Charlie's business. So I guess it could be wriiten in convincingly.

Just as long as Jack and the old codgers are portrayed as converted Sainters........ I won't agree with any poetic licence happening there and have them supporting any other team, because the dear old fellows really made a definite decision to follow the Saints. Some make decisions that cause frustration and heart break eh............... as only we Sainters know.

Really looking forward to the series.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Thanks for that article Davey Mc.........................

Heavens to Betsy..................... whaaaat built a pub................... and I suppose the grog will be water.................. oh I hate poetic licence taken in putting things on the screen. :evil:

No doubt with the death of the actor who plays Charlie the cabinet maker, I s'pose that means if the other two Jack Irish novels are eventually put to the screen, his old mate Charlie will have to be written out of the telly series.................. more poetic licence. Then again Jack did have designs on taking over Charlie's business. So I guess it could be wriiten in convincingly.

Just as long as Jack and the old codgers are portrayed as converted Sainters........ I won't agree with any poetic licence happening there and have them supporting any other team, because the dear old fellows really made a definite decision to follow the Saints. Some make decisions that cause frustration and heart break eh............... as only we Sainters know.

Agreed re poetic license and St Kilda Loris.

Shame re Charlie also. :( I got the impression though that the designs on the business may have been slightly the other way... Charlie wanting Jack to end up with it(?)

However that could clear the way for Jack and Charlie's neice/granddaughter(?) to get together. Of course, it wouldn't last. Jack's love interests tend to either take up a better offer elsewhere... or die. Hooking up with Jack seems to be either boom or (finite) bust... :?

Anyway, am really looking forward to the show... and if they stuff it up.. we now to to send the blame Doc's way... :twisted:

loris
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

Shame re Charlie also. :( I got the impression though that the designs on the business may have been slightly the other way... Charlie wanting Jack to end up with it(?)

However that could clear the way for Jack and Charlie's neice/granddaughter(?) to get together. Of course, it wouldn't last. Jack's love interests tend to either take up a better offer elsewhere... or die. Hooking up with Jack seems to be either boom or (finite) bust... :?

Anyway, am really looking forward to the show... and if they stuff it up.. we now to to send the blame Doc's way... :twisted:
Yep your interpretation is correct D Mc............... 'twas the other way around................... Charlie was hoping Jack would come into the business.

Hey I think you and I could give Anrew Knight the flick.............. we could take over as script writers for the next few series.

And we could get Dr Spaceman to have his brother-inlaw to commission us to ABC, well maybe he might do better than Aunty and go for the big dollars with one of the commercial stations. We can do a Lyon and Goddard, sell our souls for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

We could have Rexy do the proof reading of the scripts, coz if I recollect correctly he is a bit of a speed reader, as he devoured the four novels in about 2 days.

Saintbrat could do all our promos, for she has a modus operandi of being across every media outlet for info and releases before the ink has dried on paper or before any audio/video clip has finished spinning.

There would be plenty of takers among the lubricated SS mob to undertake the necessary research find us an authentic pub, maybe we could use a little poetic license ourselves and ditch the Fitzroy memorabilia and replace with some Sainter memorabilia.

If any of the old codgers die off, we have a few old actors on this site ( evidenced by the way they pout and get all precious in their posts) who could definitely take on curmudgeonly old codger roles at a moments notice. Come to think of it we would end up with a bleeding cast of thousands, not just a few old wizend codgers.

Yep Davey..................... we will do the script writing..................... maybe 'gringo' could do the casting.? Maybe he might be able to get Eric Bana to play Jack???

I think 'stinger' should put up his hand for 'best boy', I don't know what a best boy does............... but always seems to get a mention as the credits roll :wink:

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

Yep your interpretation is correct D Mc............... 'twas the other way around................... Charlie was hoping Jack would come into the business.

Hey I think you and I could give Anrew Knight the flick.............. we could take over as script writers for the next few series.

And we could get Dr Spaceman to have his brother-inlaw to commission us to ABC, well maybe he might do better than Aunty and go for the big dollars with one of the commercial stations. We can do a Lyon and Goddard, sell our souls for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

We could have Rexy do the proof reading of the scripts, coz if I recollect correctly he is a bit of a speed reader, as he devoured the four novels in about 2 days.

Saintbrat could do all our promos, for she has a modus operandi of being across every media outlet for info and releases before the ink has dried on paper or before any audio/video clip has finished spinning.

There would be plenty of takers among the lubricated SS mob to undertake the necessary research find us an authentic pub, maybe we could use a little poetic license ourselves and ditch the Fitzroy memorabilia and replace with some Sainter memorabilia.

If any of the old codgers die off, we have a few old actors on this site ( evidenced by the way they pout and get all precious in their posts) who could definitely take on curmudgeonly old codger roles at a moments notice. Come to think of it we would end up with a bleeding cast of thousands, not just a few old wizend codgers.

Yep Davey..................... we will do the script writing..................... maybe 'gringo' could do the casting.? Maybe he might be able to get Eric Bana to play Jack???

I think 'stinger' should put up his hand for 'best boy', I don't know what a best boy does............... but always seems to get a mention as the credits roll :wink:
I'm sold! Where do we all sign-up Loris? :D :D :D

PS: Yep, after reading my last post, I'd definitely need someone (possibly a team of Rexy's :roll: ) to proof read anything I wrote.

PPS: Best boys are responsible for the day-to-day operation of the grip (lighting) department... now I just need to think up a witty comment to link that with Sting... help me out Loris. :wink:

loris
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: I'm sold! Where do we all sign-up Loris? :D :D :D

PS: Yep, after reading my last post, I'd definitely need someone (possibly a team of Rexy's :roll: ) to proof read anything I wrote.

PPS: Best boys are responsible for the day-to-day operation of the grip (lighting) department... now I just need to think up a witty comment to link that with Sting... help me out Loris. :wink:
I definitely wouldn't tell that 'best boy' to get a grip of himself :shock: :shock: Or stinger would tell me to flower off :evil:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

tonight 8.30
abc 1

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Looking forward to it. I hope the plot stays close to the books.
I have read and enjoyed all of Peter Temple's work.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY