Will we land anyone?????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint Stu

Will we land anyone?????

With Goddard gone, Ray, Clarke & Cripps all on the way out will we actually get anyone half decent????
All media reports Caddy wants to go Geelong, Mitch Brown not going anywhere so who will we really have a chance of stealing????

Hickey from the Gold coast is a 60/40 chance and could be a fair talent in future years but all our hunt for a key full back seems to be the million doller question.

Do we just bite the bullet and use pick 12 & 13 on kids and look to 2014 onwards for silverware??????????????????

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Re: Will we land anyone?????

If we can not land Frawley then use both picks 12,13 on best available kids.
Tbh a full back is what we need immediately.
A second ruck would be nice, but not as urgent as a back.
Also f#&k caddy, dont want him. To use a first rounder would be an utter waist.

Saint Stu

I dont want Caddy and he can join another club no drama.
Frawley would be nice but no sure Melbourne will be willing to part unless 12 or 13 are used to entice them.

Our main priority must be a full back and second ruckman as Stanley is still off the pace for mine and kosi/blake dont cut it but do try.

Lots of talk of Pelchen being a gun but time will tell if this is true, just be happy for all saints fans to have some good recruiting news instead of hearing all bad ie, Goddard, Ball, Dawson, Walsh and whoever else we lost in the last 50 years!! LOL

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Some trades we could do well with.....
With GWS.. They have at this stage picks 1. 20. and the first pick in each round following. They will pick up further early picks with the 2 17 yr olds being traded out. I cant see them using any more than say 5 picks, which would include their 2nd round pick, 24. They have indicated they are interested in Jackson Ferguson a Western Sydney boy. We could offer him and pick 13 for Jed Anderson, who they would be taking with their N.T. allotment, and the first few picks they are not using, hopefully 20 or 24 onwards. (Footscray have or are making a offer for Anderson).

With GC. who are limited with the amount of new players they can pick up because they have to reduce the size of their list, if we miss out on Caddy, offer them a player plus our 2nd round pick (34), for Hickey and their 3rd and 4th round picks (44 and 63) which they probably cant use anyway.

With Melbourne, who have picks 3, 4, 13, in the first round then the 3rd pick in each subsequent round, offer them Farren Ray for their 3rd and 4th round picks.

If all worked out we would gain Hickey, a ruckman we are after, Anderson, one of the best young mids out there, and we would have Picks 12, 24. 43, 44. 45, 53, 62, 63, 64, 72. Perhaps we could then trade some of these picks in groups for a higher pick, improving our position further.

It is easy to see who has too much time on their hands nowadays.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

That was the point of my post. No to caddy, but pick 12 or 13 can be used on the best fb that we can get.
Else pick kids with those picks, hickey with second round and then maybe joel tippet with a late pick for fb.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Not suggesting we do it but how good a player could you expect to get for BOTH 12 &13

Sobraz
SS Life Member

whiskers3614 wrote:Not suggesting we do it but how good a player could you expect to get for BOTH 12 &13
Frawley.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:Not suggesting we do it but how good a player could you expect to get for BOTH 12 &13
I wouldnt use both picks on any one person, but for frawley and watts or gysbetts plus another I would, but thats not going to happen

PJ
SS Life Member

Wouldn't want to give up our 1st rounders for anyone. Big names mean big money. We need players with big potential that can grow under watters. I'm not so sure we need an AA fullback either - with Fisher, Dempster, Simpkin, Geary & Gwilt we probably just need a solid tall defender that can take the big forwards. You don't pay big money for defenders you pay for the forwards.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

If there is any year you would hope the recreuiters would get it right

It would be this year.....This will be an important draft

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Usually the top 8 to ten are pretty solid citizens that border on stars. After that it depends on the draft but this one would suggest better than average and some star quality should get out to the start of the second round. Caddy is a number 7 pick for a reason he can play. i would go a first rounder on him but would be loath to give our round one pick for Fawley- I would prefer a player like Ray and our second round or an upgrade combo. Frawley is getting people over excited, he's a very good player but not a superstar.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Usually the top 8 to ten are pretty solid citizens that border on stars. After that it depends on the draft but this one would suggest better than average and some star quality should get out to the start of the second round. Caddy is a number 7 pick for a reason he can play. i would go a first rounder on him but would be loath to give our round one pick for Fawley- I would prefer a player like Ray and our second round or an upgrade combo. Frawley is getting people over excited, he's a very good player but not a superstar.

Do you seriously think the Demons would take Ray and pick about 36 for an AA FB? Firstly the Frawley thing is crap with a capital K and secondly the Demons would be in hospital getting their stiches cut out.

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Saint Stu wrote:With Goddard gone, Ray, Clarke & Cripps all on the way out will we actually get anyone half decent????
All media reports Caddy wants to go Geelong, Mitch Brown not going anywhere so who will we really have a chance of stealing????

Hickey from the Gold coast is a 60/40 chance and could be a fair talent in future years but all our hunt for a key full back seems to be the million doller question.

Do we just bite the bullet and use pick 12 & 13 on kids and look to 2014 onwards for silverware??????????????????
It's a fair point. We've named a few targets (Caddy & Brown) but it seems like no one from St. Kilda have canvassed these guys whether they want to come or not. I wonder whether it would be worthwhile packaging up picks 12 & 13 and move higher up the order to inside the top 5, then receive something else like a 3rd round pick in return. Can't understand all the support to get Frawley, at 193c.m. I don't think he's the monster down back we need. He reminds me more of Fisher with his mobility.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:Usually the top 8 to ten are pretty solid citizens that border on stars. After that it depends on the draft but this one would suggest better than average and some star quality should get out to the start of the second round. Caddy is a number 7 pick for a reason he can play. i would go a first rounder on him but would be loath to give our round one pick for Fawley- I would prefer a player like Ray and our second round or an upgrade combo. Frawley is getting people over excited, he's a very good player but not a superstar.

Do you seriously think the Demons would take Ray and pick about 36 for an AA FB? Firstly the Frawley thing is crap with a capital K and secondly the Demons would be in hospital getting their stiches cut out.

Didn't say they would go for it but i wouldn't want to trade away our first pick for a guy in his mid 20s when we could get Caddy who is a better player for the next 10 years just as a first round pick should. I have heard it from people I trust more than you that he's sounded out the trade with Melbourne and we have interviewed him. It could be crap but it's also plausible because half of melbournes list wants out.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Didn't say they would go for it but i wouldn't want to trade away our first pick for a guy in his mid 20s when we could get Caddy who is a better player for the next 10 years just as a first round pick should. I have heard it from people I trust more than you that he's sounded out the trade with Melbourne and we have interviewed him. It could be crap but it's also plausible because half of melbournes list wants out.

Well i heard from people who I trust a lot more than your people that the who Melbourne club are in hospital pissing themselves laughing that anyone thinks Caddy is a better pick than an AA FB. A KPP. I also heard Frawley is not Danny as you may think.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

We probably won't land anyone and then the club will tell us how happy they are with our draft picks :shock: :shock: :shock:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The departure of Goddard means we will are in line for picks 12 & 13 at the moment. This could end up being 9 & 12 depending on what hapens over the next few days/weeks. This Draft is said to run pretty deep, especially with midfield talent so its up to Pelchen & Bains to make the BIG decisions on which way to go.

I think we will be in a VERY STRONG position heading into the last week of the 3 week trade period. That's when Pelchen & Bains might be able to weave some magic !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Also, the club has identified that our list has not enough players aged between 22-26 years. How old is Mitch brown? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Scoop
Club Player

Eastern wrote:Also, the club has identified that our list has not enough players aged between 22-26 years. How old is Mitch brown? !!
24 in December

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

ROLS-LEE wrote:If we can not land Frawley then use both picks 12,13 on best available kids.
ruck is as important as a back imo... do you remember when ben went down..

Fortius Quo Fidelius
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

ShanghaiSaint wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:If we can not land Frawley then use both picks 12,13 on best available kids.
ruck is as important as a back imo... do you remember when ben went down..
Yes I remember when ben went down, we had backup in blake, kosi and stanley. Not the best but still backup, but at least ben is a genuine ruck.
Whos our fullback? Fisher atm. Remember when he and blake went down. Simpkin needed to step up, likewise with dempster. Lucky for us they did.
But none of them including gwilt is a genuine fb. This is why this should the priority. Then later in the draft load up on rucks.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

i heard we are also looking at Jayden post from Richmond. I was speaking to a mate who has a nephew that plays for the Pies -mostly VFL though but he watches plenty of VFL and junior footy and he thinks Jayden Post has been badly mismanaged at the Tigers he was a tall forward with 40 more marks than the next best in his draft year. He was played back and dropped after one game a few times but hasn't been able to get a few weeks in a forward role. He thinks he would be a great Kosi replacement and would have a huge improvement while having more output now.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:i heard we are also looking at Jayden post from Richmond. I was speaking to a mate who has a nephew that plays for the Pies -mostly VFL though but he watches plenty of VFL and junior footy and he thinks Jayden Post has been badly mismanaged at the Tigers he was a tall forward with 40 more marks than the next best in his draft year. He was played back and dropped after one game a few times but hasn't been able to get a few weeks in a forward role. He thinks he would be a great Kosi replacement and would have a huge improvement while having more output now.
Don't think I'm alone in saying I'm a little nervous about selecting Tigers discards after the last few years....

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
gringo wrote:i heard we are also looking at Jayden post from Richmond. I was speaking to a mate who has a nephew that plays for the Pies -mostly VFL though but he watches plenty of VFL and junior footy and he thinks Jayden Post has been badly mismanaged at the Tigers he was a tall forward with 40 more marks than the next best in his draft year. He was played back and dropped after one game a few times but hasn't been able to get a few weeks in a forward role. He thinks he would be a great Kosi replacement and would have a huge improvement while having more output now.
Don't think I'm alone in saying I'm a little nervous about selecting Tigers discards after the last few years....

he said the same thing but thinks he's got something special. He's not like the others in that he's young, and a big sized player so should be nearly ready to go. He seems to be a guy who needs a little confidence and at Coburg has been apparently used forward then back then forward with no consistency. His one game the Tiges got smashed by Carlton and he was one they cut to make a statement. You wouldn't want to give up much but we are short of talls pardon the pun.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
St Ick wrote:

he said the same thing but thinks he's got something special. He's not like the others in that he's young, and a big sized player so should be nearly ready to go. He seems to be a guy who needs a little confidence and at Coburg has been apparently used forward then back then forward with no consistency. His one game the Tiges got smashed by Carlton and he was one they cut to make a statement. You wouldn't want to give up much but we are short of talls pardon the pun.

Rather Wilbur.