Did Watters & Worsfold relationship cost us Brown??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

beartalbot
Club Player

Did Watters & Worsfold relationship cost us Brown??

Interesting article in Inside Footy today from Crackers Keenan.

"There was a whisper that Mitch Brown was offered to Essendon and GWS, but not StKilda. I hope the personal antipathy between certain key figures at StKilda and West Coast was not the stumbling block , but that is the word I'm getting from my contacts in Perth. I heard it suggested that there is a certain iciness in the relationship between former teammates John Worsfold and Scott Watters and that may have been an impediment in negotiations".

If true, it seems to me that Coaches egos continue to have negative impact on players best interests.

BEAR
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Did Watters & Worsfold relationship cost us Brown??

Pretty sure Crackers got that nick for a reason.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Didn't affect the Cripps trade if true.

Just posing the question P66 as to whether this was the reason West Coast was so dogged about retaining Brown. I know that he was still contracted, but it did seem that they put a high price on the head of a player who they refuse to utilise.
I put as much empasis on Crackers opinion as you appear to do, however, he must have greater contacts than you or I, I am just looking for reasons as to why they fought so hard to reject our offer to give the kid greater opportunities.

BEAR
beartalbot
Club Player

8856brother wrote:Didn't affect the Cripps trade if true.

We had bugger all choice but to deal with West Coast over Cripps as he was uncontracted. I still feel that we got screwed over that one too.

BEAR
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

beartalbot wrote:

We had bugger all choice but to deal with West Coast over Cripps as he was uncontracted. I still feel that we got screwed over that one too.
I agree. But we still did it. Didn't have to.

Ross wouldn't have, would he Clarky. :idea:

8856brother wrote:
beartalbot wrote:

I agree. But we still did it. Didn't have to.

Ross wouldn't have, would he Clarky. :idea:
Ross would have done what is right.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
PJ
SS Life Member

Tongue, brown, pants

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

beartalbot wrote:Just posing the question P66 as to whether this was the reason West Coast was so dogged about retaining Brown. I know that he was still contracted, but it did seem that they put a high price on the head of a player who they refuse to utilise.
We "refused to utilise" Ross and Markworth this year, but that doesn't mean we think they have no value, or that we don't have future plans for them.

Same for the Eagles with Brown. They're well within their rights to have a succession plan in place for their key defenders.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
beartalbot wrote:Just posing the question P66 as to whether this was the reason West Coast was so dogged about retaining Brown. I know that he was still contracted, but it did seem that they put a high price on the head of a player who they refuse to utilise.
We "refused to utilise" Ross and Markworth this year, but that doesn't mean we think they have no value, or that we don't have future plans for them.

Same for the Eagles with Brown. They're well within their rights to have a succession plan in place for their key defenders.

Probably Winmar a fairer comparison- listed and retained for a long period but not played. If they offered about 12 first round picks and Kobe Stevens i would have been cartwheeling in the hall on my way to sign the paperwork.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Why doesn't pete ask them ?

In red white and black from 73
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Probably Winmar a fairer comparison- listed and retained for a long period but not played.
Nah, Winmar's played 3, Brown's played 51. Raph Clarke was the only real comparison on our list, I think.

andrewg
Club Player

We will get brown in about 10 months time

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:We will get brown in about 10 months time
No we wont.

andrewg
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:
No we wont.
Why not?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
No we wont.
Why not?
Alot can happen in a year. Glass or another player may suffer and injur, he may start getting opportunities. He may decide to stay, it has happened to Ryan Okeefe! In saying that, all that might not happen, and we will get him next year. I just think nothing is a given, and i think it is unlikely he will be a saints player ever.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Probably Winmar a fairer comparison- listed and retained for a long period but not played. If they offered about 12 first round picks and Kobe Stevens i would have been cartwheeling in the hall on my way to sign the paperwork.

Yep fair comparison. One has played 3 games the other 51. One is HBF and the other a KPP player. I see the comparison.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

we got screwed on the Cripps deal, but the alternative was to let him walk to the draft for nothing which is just plain dumb. WC definitely got the better of us this trade period.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

If true, it's either because of bad blood between Watters and Worsfold, or maybe WC rate us as more of a threat than most others do and had no intention if making us stronger. I think the former, but either way, they clearly had little interest in doing a trade with us. But, it's actually not too dissimilar with how we handed Ball, except he wasn't contracted.

When it comes to coaches egos, player well fair counts for little. Again, Ball was a similar case and Ross didn't want to just move him on to a top rival, just to satisfy an unhappy player. Talk about unfair compensation all you want, but when a player isn't contracted, you don't have box seat.

I'm actually pro WC enforcing their contract with Brown. He signed it, their entitled to enforce.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Legendary
Club Player

I would have thought our list manager (Ameet Bains), our head of football (Chris Pelchen) and our head of recruiting (Tony Elshaug) would have been more involved in dealing with their respective counter-parts at West Coast than the two coaches (Worsfold & Watters).

In fact, I have never heard of 2 coaches negotiating a trade together.

So I think Crackers is showing why people call him that.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

In our case, yes, but at other clubs, the coaches have a lot of influence.

Ross certainly did during his time with us, as did GT before him.

Even though Watters has no involvement in trades, we don't know what influence Worsfold has at WC.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:I would have thought our list manager (Ameet Bains), our head of football (Chris Pelchen) and our head of recruiting (Tony Elshaug) would have been more involved in dealing with their respective counter-parts at West Coast than the two coaches (Worsfold & Watters).

100% correct ... The coaches coach the team the list managers build for them ... It's a bit like the bs about Scott tuning the club to WA centric

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Legendary wrote:I would have thought our list manager (Ameet Bains), our head of football (Chris Pelchen) and our head of recruiting (Tony Elshaug) would have been more involved in dealing with their respective counter-parts at West Coast than the two coaches (Worsfold & Watters).

100% correct ... The coaches coach the team the list managers build for them ... It's a bit like the bs about Scott tuning the club to WA centric
100% correct in theory, not in practice. In our case, it certainly appears that Watters has zilch involvement in trades, but does that also apply to Worsfold?

I obviously don't know how each individual club operate cons trade week, but do you really think the likes of Lyon just twiddle his thumbs and waits to see what team the football department build?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Perth media and WC fans think Worsfold is untouchable, but to me he's a grade A arrogant ar*ehole. Bad blood between Watters and Worsfold goes at least back to a few years back when Watters was working in the Perth media and Worsfold gave him a nice put down by telling him that, "To play in a premiership team you have to be a very special individual". The context of the statement was Worsfold inferring that he was a superior human being to Watters and anyone else who hadn't played in a flag. Can't stand Worsfold - my most detested individual in the game - along with Sam Newman, although Newman's not really in the game. He's just a self glorifying media twat.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Worsfold is a bloody good coach. Wouldnt mind him coaching us.