Maister ahead of Wilkes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Maister ahead of Wilkes

I haven't heard much about Wilkes this season, He must be injured, but this Maister looks a lock for ff, Wilkes' old position.

Thoughts?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Maister ahead of Wilkes

bigcarl wrote:I haven't heard much about Wilkes this season, He must be injured, but this Maister looks a lock for ff, Wilkes' old position.

Thoughts?

Isnt it the same person?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Yes it certainly was a maister stroke by Wilkes!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Beau Maister, sounds like one of those telead fitness device that if you call now you will receive a bonus....

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Wilkes maister left I guess....lol

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He works hard, I'd still like a few more of those marks to stick...

Not sure how the forward line is going to shape up this year, we looked great with the small guys swarming around in the first game though.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:He works hard, I'd still like a few more of those marks to stick...

Not sure how the forward line is going to shape up this year, we looked great with the small guys swarming around in the first game though.

Because we controlled the middle. No one had a hope in the forward line in the second game. We hardly touched it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:He works hard, I'd still like a few more of those marks to stick...

I would too, but I am expecting him to be handy rather than a star.

The good thing about Maister is if he does not mark it, that he is vigorous and so he gives our smalls an in. And we have ample good smalls. He works hard and does a lot of team things.

I think that Maister will make a good foil to Roo and either Stanley or Kosi. Personally I would go with Roo, Stanley and Maister.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 17 Feb 2013 11:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He will definitely play... And will provide a strong marking contest....

Saad, Milera, Schnieder, Milne

Wlikes, Stanley, Riewoldt

7 forwards

Kosi, Lee, TDL.... Back ups

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

I would too, but I am expecting him to be handy rather than a star.

The good thing about Maister is if he does not mark it, that he is vigorous and so he gives our smalls an in. And we have ample good smalls. He works hard and does a lot of team things.

I think that Maister will make a good fool to Roo and either Stanley or Kosi. Personally I would go with Roo, Stanley and Maister.
I don't expect much from him this year, same as last year, will be good for Sandy.
I wouldn't call him a fool though.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He will definitely play... And will provide a strong marking contest....

Saad, Milera, Schnieder, Milne

Wlikes, Stanley, Riewoldt

7 forwards

Kosi, Lee, TDL.... Back ups

Who is this Wilkes bloke?

paddy
Club Player

TDL probably ahead of milera for mine

but only saw them play for very little, so who knows for sure

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
need to repeat the joke that has already been ignored!!! sad

For whatever reason ppl have judged Beau very harshly. He was handy last season and played a few good to ok games and a few average ones.

The 3 goal game VS Melbourne seemed to work against him... rather than see that performance as a show of potential that could be developed, many viewed him as a flat track bully instead.

What I like about Maister, is that whilst he is an reasonable grab, he positions himself really well and is actually really good when the ball hits the ground

I think he will be a player if we develop him properly

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
This one reeks of an attention seeking nuffy. (and im not talking about you skeptic )

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

For whatever reason ppl have judged Beau very harshly. He was handy last season and played a few good to ok games and a few average ones.

The 3 goal game VS Melbourne seemed to work against him... rather than see that performance as a show of potential that could be developed, many viewed him as a flat track bully instead.

What I like about Maister, is that whilst he is an reasonable grab, he positions himself really well and is actually really good when the ball hits the ground

I think he will be a player if we develop him properly
he had that game against Melbourne in the wet where he was the only one on either side who looked like taking a mark up forward and then was inexplicably subbed off.

Then he was ordinary in the next two games before being more than serviceable for the last part of the season

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Wilkes is no good and should go back to the VFL or WAFL or from wherever he came.

But Maister on the other hand is a gun. Great recruitment. Looks very fit is our number one full forward for this year.

minneapolis
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:I haven't heard much about Wilkes this season, He must be injured, but this Maister looks a lock for ff, Wilkes' old position.

Thoughts?

Good question. Same height and skills but Maister is a little quicker and a lot fitter.

Feel that Wilkes has lost his spot to the new feller.

Good upgrade though I reckon. Well done by the club and Pelchen in particular.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I really like big Beau!

He wasn't AFL-fit last year as he hadn't been playing AFL, and I gather that he wasn't expecting to be drafted. This year he's clearly put-in on the track and the results are obvious... full credit to him... clearly a footballer who is not prepared to die wondering!

Attributes:
So the attitude is there.
Skills-wise... well he's big n' strong, is mobile, can kick well enough, can jump, and can get to contests.
He tackles and pressures really really well, so when the ball hits the deck we are no longer a man down on the forward line. :D

Deficiency:
Seems to be re touch/ball handling. Drops some marks he should be holding. Taking those grabs would make a huge difference to his performance. Is it confidence? Is it his eyesight?

Does anyone know if he has eyesight problems??? :?: :?: :?:

In defence of:
Being a newbie big forward he's suffered from not being the/ a go-to man. I noticed in several game that he presented well into space, but though the best option, was ignored.

Beau's well documented struggles in defence were mainly from that E-girls game last year. I think people have been harsh. Firstly, just like the Fro, he was up against Cox (and sometimes the Palm Tree)... ie; blokes who are way-yay taller. Secondly, those free kicks awarded against him were very, very soft at best... simply not there would be the accurate assessment. :x

I also remember from that game, that despite having a horror run in defence, he never once dropped his head, but just kept on trying. I found that really admirable!

That said (as with the likes of Rhys Lightning, Arryn Sippos and Tom Lee), I want him predominantly in the forward line.

So good on ya Beau, and best of luck. Sure, you're not likely to ever be an elite star forward like our Nick R, or Tragic Joke, or the Ego over at the P&P, or Jack Watts (coz you're a better and way more honest footballer than him..., though that's a big club :lol: ). However, I reckon that you're as good/as talented a footballer, as say, Cam Mooney... just need to be given a touch of luck/opportunity. I'm tipping you'll end up being remembered as one of the great bargain pick-ups!

Go the Beau!!! :D

Safe bet there was no free paid... :roll:

Dog catcher! :mrgreen:

Way to go Beau! 8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I really like big Beau!

He wasn't AFL-fit last year as he hadn't been playing AFL, and I gather that he wasn't expecting to be drafted. This year he's clearly put-in on the track and the results are obvious... full credit to him... clearly a footballer who is not prepared to die wondering!

Attributes:
So the attitude is there.
Skills-wise... well he's big n' strong, is mobile, can kick well enough, can jump, and can get to contests.
He tackles and pressures really really well, so when the ball hits the deck we are no longer a man down on the forward line. :D

Deficiency:
Seems to be re touch/ball handling. Drops some marks he should be holding. Taking those grabs would make a huge difference to his performance. Is it confidence? Is it his eyesight?

Does anyone know if he has eyesight problems??? :?: :?: :?:

In defence of:
Being a newbie big forward he's suffered from not being the/ a go-to man. I noticed in several game that he presented well into space, but though the best option, was ignored.

Beau's well documented struggles in defence were mainly from that E-girls game last year. I think people have been harsh. Firstly, just like the Fro, he was up against Cox (and sometimes the Palm Tree)... ie; blokes who are way-yay taller. Secondly, those free kicks awarded against him were very, very soft at best... simply not there would be the accurate assessment. :x

I also remember from that game, that despite having a horror run in defence, he never once dropped his head, but just kept on trying. I found that really admirable!

That said (as with the likes of Rhys Lightning, Arryn Sippos and Tom Lee), I want him predominantly in the forward line.

So good on ya Beau, and best of luck. Sure, you're not likely to ever be an elite star forward like our Nick R, or Tragic Joke, or the Ego over at the P&P, or Jack Watts (coz you're a better and way more honest footballer than him..., though that's a big club :lol: ). However, I reckon that you're as good/as talented a footballer, as say, Cam Mooney... just need to be given a touch of luck/opportunity. I'm tipping you'll end up being remembered as one of the great bargain pick-ups!

Go the Beau!!! :D

You really have no idea do you?
From what you have posted above it's clear you have never Mister Wilkes play live have you?
He's exactly the same now as he was last year and should play the rest of his contract out at Sandy. For goodness sake he's worse than Kosi, but you don't realise it yet, because he tries.
to say he's a better and way more honest footballer than Jack Watts is a disgrace. Jack Watts is a kid who will be a 200 plus game player. Beau is a never was who never will be.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Bernard Shakey wrote:You really have no idea do you?
If you are talking about why some people on here sometimes lash out, then your statement isn't correct.

If you are talking about why some people on here sometimes think they need to lash out, then your statement is correct.

(Though I'm probably overdoing the semantics there... :? )
Bernard Shakey wrote:From what you have posted above it's clear you have never Mister Wilkes play live have you?
He's exactly the same now as he was last year and should play the rest of his contract out at Sandy.
Bernard, all one has to do is look at him... have you done so... this pre-season?

But then it could be argued that looks can be misleading, so maybe other sources are needed... like the comments from the fans... and the coaching staff...?
Bernard Shakey wrote:For goodness sake he's worse than Kosi, but you don't realise it yet, because he tries.
Assuming that we are both talking about Kosi circa 2012-13, then you have a keen sense of the ironic Bernard... I like that. :)
Bernard Shakey wrote:to say he's a better and way more honest footballer than Jack Watts is a disgrace. Jack Watts is a kid who will be a 200 plus game player. Beau is a never was who never will be.
As Beau will turn 27 next month, I reckon that's a fair assessment that he won't be a 200+ plus game player.

Jack Watts has the talent, but so far all he's displayed is mental softness (is that a nice way that fans and commentators have referred to his not liking the physical stuff?) and laziness (is that a nice way that fans and commentators have referred to his being lazy and not fully committed?)

Beau won't play 200 games, Watts should play 200 games, but he won't. No disgrace upon the former re that...

PS: Yes Bernard, that thread I started the other day was in defence of live music. So along with Beau not reaching 200 games, we agree on a coupla' things at least. :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I have never got why the campaign against him started. He wasn't outstanding last year but wasn't bad. For some reason people don't take to recycled players- plenty seem to taken the fact that he never made it at WCE as evidence of his failing. He's great at the defensive stuff compared to kosi and Riewoldt. Even as a back up forward he has done more than expected. I hope he breaks in to the starting 22 he has earned a go.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I have never got why the campaign against him started. He wasn't outstanding last year but wasn't bad. For some reason people don't take to recycled players- plenty seem to taken the fact that he never made it at WCE as evidence of his failing. He's great at the defensive stuff compared to kosi and Riewoldt. Even as a back up forward he has done more than expected. I hope he breaks in to the starting 22 he has earned a go.
I think the only thing confirmed last season re Beau was his inability to play as a key back at the top level. It seems opinions on Beau were centred around that aspect and in particular the game against WCE where he was monstered by Cox in the back line. What people fail to see is that he performed admirably as a key forward. Like most, he had a couple of poor performances, some average performances and an exceptional performance or two. Not dissimilar to most forwards out there. He's not going to be the next J Brown or Roo or Buddy however if he can slightly improve on last season then we see an extremely handy forward who contributes 40 or so goals to the team and tries his heart out. I'm well and truly on the Maister bandwagon, with expectations in check.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
gringo wrote:I have never got why the campaign against him started. He wasn't outstanding last year but wasn't bad. For some reason people don't take to recycled players- plenty seem to taken the fact that he never made it at WCE as evidence of his failing. He's great at the defensive stuff compared to kosi and Riewoldt. Even as a back up forward he has done more than expected. I hope he breaks in to the starting 22 he has earned a go.
I think the only thing confirmed last season re Beau was his inability to play as a key back at the top level. It seems opinions on Beau were centred around that aspect and in particular the game against WCE where he was monstered by Cox in the back line. What people fail to see is that he performed admirably as a key forward. Like most, he had a couple of poor performances, some average performances and an exceptional performance or two. Not dissimilar to most forwards out there. He's not going to be the next J Brown or Roo or Buddy however if he can slightly improve on last season then we see an extremely handy forward who contributes 40 or so goals to the team and tries his heart out. I'm well and truly on the Maister bandwagon, with expectations in check.
That's is a very good assessment of BM OM.

BTW, good to see you posting again. :D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Cheers Pav, it's good to be back amongst it.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Similar quality of player to Chris Dawes... At about 1/4 of the price... Is worth his place on the list, and potentially in the 22...