Midfield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Midfield

I reckon our forward line looks strong with a choice of tall forwards probably between Riewoldt, Maister, Lee, Kosi and Stanley and of small forwards between Milne, Saad, Milera, Dennis-Lane and Schneider. That's plenty of guys who know where the goals are.

I reckon our defence is solid bar the obvious lack of a backman to take the monster forwards. There's a choice of defenders including Fisher, Blake, Siposs, Gilbert, Dempster, Gwilt, Ray, Geary, SImpkin and maybe Stanley who should be able to match just about anyone bar absolute brutes like Buddy and Jonathan Brown.

But what of the midfield? What do people think it will look like? Is it good enough to get us into contention? Do you think we will see any surprises such as, say, the addition of Geary or Gilbert or Siposs?

Is our midfield a weakness? What do people think?
Last edited by bigcarl on Fri 22 Feb 2013 9:09pm, edited 2 times in total.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Midfield

Steven and Armo need to take the next step and become A grade if we are to get into contention. We know barring injury, Hayes, Joey and Dal will have good output. At the moment we lack A grade depth and need those mentioned to step it up a level.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Is there anyone on the list who would add A grade depth? Could Gilbert do it, or Geary or anyone else for that matter? Is Newnes ready?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We dont have the 10-12 you need to put in the midfield during a game. If we could use 5 or 6 we would be fine but you cant these days. And the answer really isnt guys outside the 22. It has to come from within like a milera, saad, maybe geary, schneider and even Gilbert.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:We dont have the 10-12 you need to put in the midfield during a game. If we could use 5 or 6 we would be fine but you cant these days. And the answer really isnt guys outside the 22. It has to come from within like a milera, saad, maybe geary, schneider and even Gilbert.
Geary would certainly add some grunt in there. He's a tough little bugger. If it was me, I'd try Gilbert in there, too. Sure he's tall for a mid, but he plays smaller.

I just feel we need an X factor and that would be worth a try.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No club has ten quality mids??

3-4 guns
A couple of B Graders
And a few flankers who can roll through there.....

That's the average composition

Most teams have six stable backs, and 5 forwards

And some swingmen/sweepers

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:No club has ten quality mids??

3-4 guns
A couple of B Graders

That's the average composition

Most teams have six stable backs, and 5 forwards

And some swingmen/sweepers

Who said any club had 10 quality mids? The way i look at what you wrote and adding up the figures you agree you need about 10 or so to go through the middle. Good to see we agree.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:3-4 guns
A couple of B Graders
Sounds about right.

Sydney: Kennedy, Jack, McVeigh, Hannebery, O'Keefe, Bolton, Jetta, Goodes, Shaw, Malceski, Mattner, Bird, Parker

Collingwood: Pendlebury, Swan, Ball, Beams, Thomas, Sidebottom, Young, Shaw, Blair, Didak, Johnson, Toovey, Russell, Fasolo

Hawthorn: Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell, Lewis, Burgoyne, Birchall, Shiels, Rioli, Suckling, Whitecross, Guerra, Smith, Savage, Ellis

St Kilda: Dal Santo, Hayes, Montagna, Armitage, Steven, Ray, Jones, Siposs, Milera, Gilbert, Dennis-Lane, Roberton, Dunell, Ledger, Newnes

Felt like a pretty tough list to make for us, we're OK on the first three, behind on the first five, well behind by the end. The last three have 18 games between them, Siposs and Milera only have 15 or 16, Gilbert and Dennis-Lane have barely played as mids. Heaps of improvement needed from most of the names on our list - a few of them need to have a season this year like Hannebery, Beams or Shiels did last year. Someone has to slot in and replace BJ, of course.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Good analysis Bergholt.

Do you think the situation can be improved with the addition of other players already on the list? For instance you didn't mention Geary, Schneider or Saad. I suppose Sebastian Ross is still a fair way off.

kos
Club Player

If newnes and Ross can step it up a little this year it will definitely add to the mid depth that we need.

We don't need them to necessarily star, more just to hold their own at this stage of their development.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

They tried Saad in there against Adelaide, Milera was getting time last year in small bursts, Schnieds can, TDL could, Geary, Siposs, Newnes, Ray are all capable of playing as back ups while resting our core mids. Nothing any other club doesn't need to manage. We seem to have placed an emphasis on guys who can kick goals while playing as mids or wingers much like collingwood.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:They tried Saad in there against Adelaide, Milera was getting time last year in small bursts, Schnieds can, TDL could, Geary, Siposs, Newnes, Ray are all capable of playing as back ups while resting our core mids. Nothing any other club doesn't need to manage. We seem to have placed an emphasis on guys who can kick goals while playing as mids or wingers much like collingwood.

Im not sure how you can say that last line. Who are these players who kick goals whilst playing as wings or mids. Milera is a forward and is TDL and Saad. Dont think you are talking about Hickey, Lee or Roberton so I am confused. And we know it has never been Lenny, Joey or Dal. The only one we had we lost this year and that was BJ.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I aggree that the midfield is light on but I don't agree that we have a strong forward line. I think Maister is being overrated a little based on only two half decent games against weak oppo and the rest of his games looked somewhere between B and C grade. Lee is an unknown at this stage and Roo and Kosi are Roo and Kosi. Maister is only one bad season away from being delisted.

Backline still has the same weaknesses as last year in that that a key backman is still missing and we have lost two of our regulars in BJ and Gram although I think one of them will be adequately replaced in Sippo and the other in mabyn Newnes. Still it may take some time for the backline to gell.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Do you think the situation can be improved with the addition of other players already on the list? For instance you didn't mention Geary, Schneider or Saad. I suppose Sebastian Ross is still a fair way off.
Yeah, looks like Ross is a way off judging from the practice games.

Geary might be a mid one day but definitely isn't yet, Schneids has never had more than a couple of successful bursts a year in that area, Saad seems to have played there about twice in his career. I suppose any of them could contribute but they're not going to be A-graders.

The situation isn't helped by tacking names onto the end of that list. If Schneids slots in as a guy who's a little bit better than Ellis or Parker or Fasolo that doesn't really help much - we've got plenty of vague options at that end.

The problem is from the fourth best mid to the ninth. Sydney have Hannebery, O'Keefe, Bolton, Jetta, Goodes. Collingwood have Beams, Thomas, Sidebottom, Young, Shaw. Hawthorn have Lewis, Burgoyne, Shiels, Rioli, Suckling. We have Armitage, Steven, Ray, Jones, Siposs. At this point there is just no comparison in proven midfield class and quality.

We need to get good mids into that group - and fast, because we lose our second best mid this year or next.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:Geary might be a mid one day but definitely isn't yet
Has he ever had a run there? I dunno, there's other guys who can mind small defenders ... Dempster, Simpkin, Ray are a few.

Could be worth a try. He's tough and strong-bodied.

Might put some pressure on Jack and Armo to really step up as they must.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Not much developing in the midfield.....or the backline.......or the forward line....

We've got drafting down to a fine art

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Not much developing in the midfield.....or the backline.......or the forward line....

We've got drafting down to a fine art
Err....trust in Pelchen?

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Some people are just negative here - I am very positive and think we are in a much better position this year in terms of quality and depth on the list for team balance.

My starting team would be:

Backs against teams with no super tall forwards:

Newnes Simpkin Dempster
Gwilt Fisher Siposs

Backs against teams with a super tall forward:

Newnes Stanley Simpkin
Gwilt Fisher Dempster

Ruck: Hickey (the new rules just suit him better)

Midfield 8:

Inside 3 rotating through 2 onfield roles - Hayes, Armitage, Geary

Inside / Outside rotating role: Montagna and Steven

Outside running and link up role - dal Santo, Ray, Gilbert

These 8 fill the 5 midfield spots and 3 interchange places.

Forward line:

Two key forwards: Riewoldt and Maister

Three small forwards: Milne, Saad, Schneider

3rd tall: Stanley or Siposs (depending on defensive set up)

Substitute: Millera

Emergencies from:
- McEvoy
- Jones
- Dennis-Lane
- Ross
- Lee
- Roberton
- Koschitzke
- Blake
- Dunnell

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Some people are just negative here - I am very positive and think we are in a much better position this year in terms of quality and depth on the list for team balance.

My starting team would be:

Backs against teams with no super tall forwards:

Newnes Simpkin Dempster
Gwilt Fisher Siposs

Backs against teams with a super tall forward:

Newnes Stanley Simpkin
Gwilt Fisher Dempster

Ruck: Hickey (the new rules just suit him better)

Midfield 8:

Inside 3 rotating through 2 onfield roles - Hayes, Armitage, Geary

Inside / Outside rotating role: Montagna and Steven

Outside running and link up role - dal Santo, Ray, Gilbert

These 8 fill the 5 midfield spots and 3 interchange places.

Forward line:

Two key forwards: Riewoldt and Maister

Three small forwards: Milne, Saad, Schneider

3rd tall: Stanley or Siposs (depending on defensive set up)

Substitute: Millera

Emergencies from:
- McEvoy
- Jones
- Dennis-Lane
- Ross
- Lee
- Roberton
- Koschitzke
- Blake
- Dunnell

We must be a good side if we can drop one of the most promising up and coming ruckmen in the AFL. Not my words but a few I have heard say it on TV and radio. No way Ben misses out. No idea why the new rules will have any effect at all. If anything will help him because he is one our fittest players and throwing the ball up will quicken the game. Also Im unsure you can just tell a guy like Stanley with about 2 games experience in the backline that you will play FB when we play against a side who has a tall forward. He isnt going to magically be able to play on them. He isnt that good and not many others are either. Would be tough role for a great AFL players. And i reckon Geary is certain to play back at least until we get injuries or poor form through the middle of the ground.

I actually think your team is about right apart from Ben but what it does show is there is bugger all improvement in the side from last season. Call me negative. I call it pretty realistic.

rexy
SS Life Member

Improvement doesn't just come from changing personnel! Look at Adelaide last year, we may improve due to better set up/structure and individuals may have improved their fitness base, confidence etc. of course we may not too! McEvoy will almost definitely be our 1st choice ruckman to start the year! I would think if Hickey can force into the 22 it will be a 2 ruck combo and we will sacrifice a tall forward! Kosi/Maister/genuineFF the obvious choice!

Geary Simpkin Gwilt
Dempster Fisher Sippos
Montagna Armitage Dalsanto
Schneider Reiwoldt Millera
Milne Stanley Saad
Mcevoy Hayes Steven
Hickey Newnes Gilbert Ray

Alternative is one of Kosi/Maister in for either Stanley or Hickey? TDL may be preferred to Millera and Roberton for Gilbert or Ray!

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Improvement doesn't just come from changing personnel! Look at Adelaide last year, we may improve due to better set up/structure and individuals may have improved their fitness base, confidence etc. of course we may not too! McEvoy will almost definitely be our 1st choice ruckman to start the year! I would think if Hickey can force into the 22 it will be a 2 ruck combo and we will sacrifice a tall forward! Kosi/Maister/genuineFF the obvious choice!

Geary Simpkin Gwilt
Dempster Fisher Sippos
Montagna Armitage Dalsanto
Schneider Reiwoldt Millera
Milne Stanley Saad
Mcevoy Hayes Steven
Hickey Newnes Gilbert Ray

Alternative is one of Kosi/Maister in for either Stanley or Hickey? TDL may be preferred to Millera and Roberton for Gilbert or Ray!

I know improvement doesnt have to come from changing players but the difference between us and Adelaide is most of their stars are young and ours are old. Hickey if played has to play forward and that is a problem because as good as he looked last week I doubt he could hold down a forward position most of the game and we know Ben cat so that is one problem SW has to work out.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
We must be a good side if we can drop one of the most promising up and coming ruckmen in the AFL. Not my words but a few I have heard say it on TV and radio. No way Ben misses out. No idea why the new rules will have any effect at all. If anything will help him because he is one our fittest players and throwing the ball up will quicken the game. Also Im unsure you can just tell a guy like Stanley with about 2 games experience in the backline that you will play FB when we play against a side who has a tall forward. He isnt going to magically be able to play on them. He isnt that good and not many others are either. Would be tough role for a great AFL players. And i reckon Geary is certain to play back at least until we get injuries or poor form through the middle of the ground.

I actually think your team is about right apart from Ben but what it does show is there is bugger all improvement in the side from last season. Call me negative. I call it pretty realistic.

So if we already have one of the most promising ruckmen in the league why the hell did we give up pick 13 for another ruckman? Depth?!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So if we already have one of the most promising ruckmen in the league why the hell did we give up pick 13 for another ruckman? Depth?!

No I think that the club think he will make a very good forward ruckman and the game the other day didnt hurt that idea. It will also help Ben if he only rucks 60% of the game instead of about 80% that he seemed to do last year. It should help him keep his leap because he will be less tired.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No I think that the club think he will make a very good forward ruckman and the game the other day didnt hurt that idea. It will also help Ben if he only rucks 60% of the game instead of about 80% that he seemed to do last year. It should help him keep his leap because he will be less tired.
That's about right and I think they will take a conservative approach with Hickey as well resting him throughout the year.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B: Dempster, Fisher, Gwilt
Sippos (loose in defence)
HB: Ray, Hickey, Simpkin
C: Gilbert, Dal Santo, Montagna
HF: Reiwoldt, Lee
F: Milne, Maister, Saad
R: McEvoy, Hayes, Steven
Foll: Geary, Armitage, Newnes, Schneider (sub).

Since height is an issue in our defence, I've stacked the half back line.

Also, I'd rotate the three tall forwards -- Riewoldt. Lee and Maister -- through full forward. Granted Lee didn't show an awful lot in games so far, but he will come on if given a chance.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 23 Feb 2013 11:45am, edited 1 time in total.