White/Wright v Mitch Brown

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

White/Wright v Mitch Brown

We really dodged a bullet here.

Giving up high picks (and 2 potential guns) for a hack like Brown would have been disastrous. In hindsight I cant believe we considered it. Eagles will be kicking themselves for knocking that offer back.

If we want to pay for Brown next year - thats fine - but please do it through the pre-season draft and NOT the national draft.

And while Im at - can we get pick 47 back for TDL please?

falka
Club Player

Re: White/Wright v Mitch Brown

Thank goodness, wright and white look like fantastic recruits. Would have been disastrous. Almost comical

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Certainly looks that way now. Kudos to the recruiters so far. The doom and gloomers will have it that it's early days. But spreading the risk could work out. Stanley doing a promising job. More key defenders required, but we'll get there.

groupie1
Club Player

you don't reckon Stanley, Fisher, Gwilt is quite enough? Does Simpkin count as 'key'. Also, Ferguson played well in defense in NAB cup. Tall kid.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
suss
Club Player

Brown played on the weekend. Kept a form player in Westoff to zero goals. Would like to get him for nothing but him playing well won't help (certain amount of irony it that).

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:Brown played on the weekend. Kept a form player in Westoff to zero goals. Would like to get him for nothing but him playing well won't help (certain amount of irony it that).
Dont get me wrong. Im not against Mitch brown completely (ok i called him a hack which was unfair) I think we just need to be careful what we give up for him... If we can shift him in the pre season draft ill be happy.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

What we were apparently offering at the end of the trade period was ridiculous. A fair trade for Brown would have been Cripps and pick 26, and that's taking into account the fact that we needed to pay overs. I'm very glad the deal didn't go through in the end

Saints94
SS Life Member

I thought we offered picks 24 & 25 for Geelong's pick 16 which we were going to trade that on to West Coast for Mitch Brown?

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Still wouldnt mind Mitch Brown at the saints, as long as it doesnt cost us to much.

I love this club
suss
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
suss wrote:Brown played on the weekend. Kept a form player in Westoff to zero goals. Would like to get him for nothing but him playing well won't help (certain amount of irony it that).
Dont get me wrong. Im not against Mitch brown completely (ok i called him a hack which was unfair) I think we just need to be careful what we give up for him... If we can shift him in the pre season draft ill be happy.
Sorry, didn't mean to cause confusion by putting the comment in this thread - I couldn't find the older one on Brown. Agree that picks 25 and 26 for Brown would've been waaaay overs. Would love to see him in a saints jumper for nothing or a reasonable trade.

BadRossco
Club Player

We certainly dodged a bullet in missing out on Mitch Brown, Staley, Ferguson, Lever and Simpkin will probably all develop into better defenders than Brown. The only reason to recruit him next year would be to satisfy our recruiters desire to pick up a Dud but we probably doubled up on duds this year with Lee and TDL so could skip next year.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Lee aint a dud

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Lee aint a dud
You would've seen quite a bit of Lee in WA trav. What are your expectations of him at AFL level?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Lee aint a dud
You would've seen quite a bit of Lee in WA trav. What are your expectations of him at AFL level?

Scotty's expectations hafor Lee since he first joined is that it will take 12-18 months.

Scoop
Club Player

It never ceases to amaze me when people start labelling recruits, who have never played at the elite level, regardless of their age, as duds after only 5 rounds.....and that was Lee's second game.

Please try and show some appreciation of the game and the jump in class from a second tier competition to the elite.

As has been stated, Lee will probably take 12-18 months....which will include trying to develop an AFL-hardened body. He may very well turn out to be a dud, but at least give him a year or two in the competition before making such pronouncements.

As for Mitch Brown, I believe that he is a GOP that would improve the structure of our backline, much the same as Zac Dawson did, and allow other players, such as Fisher, Dempster, Gwilt. etc to play the roles that they are best at.

Of course the above is IMHO.....

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Yeah amazing how he has been on the list about 15 mins played a couple of games and is being labelled no good already.
Give em some time....then we can pass judgment.

savatage
SS Life Member

Scoop wrote:It never ceases to amaze me when people start labelling recruits, who have never played at the elite level, regardless of their age, as duds after only 5 rounds.....and that was Lee's second game.

Please try and show some appreciation of the game and the jump in class from a second tier competition to the elite.

As has been stated, Lee will probably take 12-18 months....which will include trying to develop an AFL-hardened body. He may very well turn out to be a dud, but at least give him a year or two in the competition before making such pronouncements.

As for Mitch Brown, I believe that he is a GOP that would improve the structure of our backline, much the same as Zac Dawson did, and allow other players, such as Fisher, Dempster, Gwilt. etc to play the roles that they are best at.

People are generally idiots. This is the problem.

Lee has already shown me a quick football brain, speed and a high skill level. His body is definitely under-developed but that will come with time.

Saints94
SS Life Member

savatage wrote:
Scoop wrote:It never ceases to amaze me when people start labelling recruits, who have never played at the elite level, regardless of their age, as duds after only 5 rounds.....and that was Lee's second game.

People are generally idiots. This is the problem.

Lee has already shown me a quick football brain, speed and a high skill level. His body is definitely under-developed but that will come with time.
+3.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Lee has shown some excellent signs.
Will be decent next year and a gun in 2015.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

admittedly he played for Claremont so being and East Freo tragic i hated him in the WAFL ... early on he was a bit weak and in all honestly wasted in defence once he moved into the forward line he hit his straps and was at one stage marking everything (bit like kosi was in his early days) he has his brain fart moments (lots of players at WAFL level do) .. honestly he was too good for WAFL and i think with the right attitude and learning of guys like Roo and Kosi as well as spending time with Sammy Hamill he will be a very good player for us just he will be a longer term project

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Saints94
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:admittedly he played for Claremont so being and East Freo tragic i hated him in the WAFL ... early on he was a bit weak and in all honestly wasted in defence once he moved into the forward line he hit his straps and was at one stage marking everything (bit like kosi was in his early days) he has his brain fart moments (lots of players at WAFL level do) .. honestly he was too good for WAFL and i think with the right attitude and learning of guys like Roo and Kosi as well as spending time with Sammy Hamill he will be a very good player for us just he will be a longer term project
Thanks for the insight Trav! :)

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Unfortunately, it takes time for these young kids to develop - we know that it is wait and see, so we will simply have to wait and see!

For those dwelling on instant top 4 or a premiership, that's the bad news that you need to accept.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think Lee looks ok

His hands have been hit and miss, and his kicking wobbly.... They were seen as his weapons pre trade.

Could be nerves, settling....

Proper Judgment will be second year for the young tall IMO

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think Lee looks ok

His hands have been hit and miss, and his kicking wobbly.... They were seen as his weapons pre trade.

Could be nerves, settling....

Proper Judgment will be second year for the young tall IMO
Club staff say that he still has the body of an 18 yr old despite his age, and so they are not rushing him.

2 year project, to build him up. In which case he will slowly play more, but 2015 on when he will be hitting his straps.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....