Why is Milera being dropped so often?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Why is Milera being dropped so often?

Seems to be in and out. He usually kicks a couple of goals and gets a couple of assists.

Is he terrible defensively? I don't get it...also, thought it a bit odd to drop himin the indigenous round.

Nee!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why is Milera being dropped so often?

lack of attack on the contest you'd think.
Last edited by dragit on Mon 27 May 2013 11:39am, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Curious, how many scoring shots has he had in regards to the other smalls...

lloyd21
Club Player

1) No defensive side to his game .

2) Continues to make the same mistakes over & over again.

3) Does not value his possies continues to do flashy stuff , no second or third effort when he stuffs up.

Has a lot talent but it only takes you so far , does not get the ball back or work hard enough for long enough, he runs forward but you have to run both ways to survive.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

To be honest though, I wish they'd toss these supposed credits out the window…

Watters said that birth certificates were out the window now, but unfortunately there is a credit system in place, whereby it's okay to under perfom if you used to play good footy.

Milera gets shafted after 1 or 2 games… other play 8 - 9 poor ones, but it's okay cause they were super awesome in the past.

We need a basic set of rules for everyone on the list… If you play 3 - 4 poor games, then you go back to the VFL. Doesn't matter if it's TDL or Lenny Hayes.

People talk about not gifting games to kids, well we are currently gifting games to veterans, when we are desperate to fast track development. If Dunell, Curren & Shenton are performing consistently in the VFL then give them a game… heaven forbid we might lose a game.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think Watters is tearing his hair out with the inconsistency of his players from game to game- one day good, next day ordinary, though I don't think Milera is any worse than Milne or Saad in the forward line, but we can't have three lightweight goal-sneaks, so I guess whoever plays to team rules, intsructions and expectations, stays in the team.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think there are a few things that most coaches would class as unforgivable sins ... not squaring the ball up to the captain on the lead when he is in great form would be one ... looking for the glory option over the team first option would be another ... giving 100% running with the ball for a shot on goal but only half jogging the otherway when your oponent has it is another ...

i like Milera and think he has some real tallent but honestly he comes across as a greedy player from time to time and needs to do more "team" things and less "highlight reel" stuff before he becomes a regular

as for Milne he does offer versatility ... more than a few times he has gone away from his natural instincts and played a more defensive role .. problem is he is prob a step or two slower these days ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i think there are a few things that most coaches would class as unforgivable sins ... not squaring the ball up to the captain on the lead when he is in great form would be one ... looking for the glory option over the team first option would be another ... giving 100% running with the ball for a shot on goal but only half jogging the otherway when your oponent has it is another ...

i like Milera and think he has some real tallent but honestly he comes across as a greedy player from time to time and needs to do more "team" things and less "highlight reel" stuff before he becomes a regular

as for Milne he does offer versatility ... more than a few times he has gone away from his natural instincts and played a more defensive role .. problem is he is prob a step or two slower these days ...
Think the captain shares some responsibility for his confusion

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: Think the captain shares some responsibility for his confusion
Yeah I said last week, I reckon he is damaged from the flaming he got from Roo last year… If anything he looks for Roo too often, often when he is out-numbered.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Some soft efforts have cost him his spot I reckon.

As for not dropping him because its indigenous round, give me a break. These things are decided on form and what the coach thinks is his best team. Colour doesn't come into it.

Should we play a woman in women's round?
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 27 May 2013 1:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Yeah I said last week, I reckon he is damaged from the flaming he got from Roo last year… If anything he looks for Roo too often, often when he is out-numbered.

If that is the case then the guy is mentally weak or we have the worst coaches in world sport. I can honestly say i reckon what Rooy did has not .01% of a reason Milera is struggling.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Unforthe tunately both Milera and Dennis-Lane lack grit.
Although I must admit I am confused regarding how Milera is being managed by the team. One week he kicked 3 and was among our best. Had a poor game the next week and was then dropped to the Magoos where he kicked 6 the following week. Lost a week with injury, then recalled and had another poor game and was immediately dropped again.

Now compare this with a number of other players in our team, who have never been among our best all season, and consistently play poor games and are never dropped. Somebody please explain the difference?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

If that is the case then the guy is mentally weak or we have the worst coaches in world sport. I can honestly say i reckon what Rooy did has not .01% of a reason Milera is struggling.
Yeah… well I wouldn't say Milera looks "mentally tough"…

I have just noticed a numbers of times Milera choosing to kick the ball to Roo when there a much better options… they all do that a bit though I guess. Getting a mouthful from your captain for not kicking it to him could stay with you for awhile I reckon.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

He's playing like a man who wants to go home at the end of the year.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Both Milera & TDL suffer from a lack of strength they both need to hit the gym to add some bulk/strength so they can hold there own in contests. I think that would improve there confidence and attack on the ball ...
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Mon 27 May 2013 8:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Both Milera & TDL suffer from a lack of strength they both need to hit the gym to add some bulk/strength so they can hold there in contests. I think that would improve there confidence and attack on the ball ...

They can hit the gym all they like but it wont change the way they play. I doubt they will get much bigger anyway. it isnt as if either is really young.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Lets see

Not converting opportunities in front of goal
Having shots when he should be passing off
Poor defensive effort
Inability to land an effective tackle
Making simple skill errors under little or no pressure
Not getting enough of the ball
Useless in a contested situation due to lack of strength and intensity
His pace is rendered useless by his slow/poor decision making
Going backwards despite being 25 year old

He's clearly above state level but I don't think he can make the transition to AFL level. The extra speed and intensity renders him useless

70s sainter
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:He's playing like a man who wants to go home at the end of the year.
whats he gonna do when he gets there? hes too soft for adelaide or port adelaide.

Richter
SS Life Member

70s sainter wrote:
White Winmar wrote:He's playing like a man who wants to go home at the end of the year.
whats he gonna do when he gets there? hes too soft for adelaide or port adelaide.
It's gonna be SANFL for Terry.

Really the question that the OP should be asking is why is he being recalled so often?

For mine he has run out of credits at AFL level. I'd rather see another mid e.g. Curren, or a utility such as Dunell or Shenton, or a small forward such as Minchington have a crack at his spot.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
merimbula
Club Player

I agree with st trav of wa - absolutely spot on!

paddy
Club Player

Agree with most of what has gone before....

no defensive pressure...

His instinct is to kick goals, team play is not his strong point...

even in VFL he spends way too much time walking or standing still...

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Players with flare should be allowed to play with flair. He needs to toughen up, but I think he's confused. I don't want to give up on him because he's got something.

I like his best footy and don't get why people don't like him. Has had his bad days but worth giving game time to. We don't have much pace.

70s sainter
Club Player

8856brother wrote:Players with flare should be allowed to play with flair. He needs to toughen up, but I think he's confused. I don't want to give up on him because he's got something.
Thats fine , but if an opposition players running past you with the ball , you should try to tackle or at least pretend you re gonna tackle. Get in their way at least. he just watches them fly past.

S.A Saint
Club Player

Here are some of the stats for this season. I mean they dont paint the full story but all the forwards are pretty much in the same ball park the only difference is that saad and milera do have a few years on their side. I would personally be dropping milne for his efforts than the two others. Give him a few farewell games and call it a day for a great servant.

Milera Disposals Goals Behinds Tackles I50
11.8 1 1.5 1.8 3.3

Milne Disposals Goals Behinds Tackles I50
10.8 1.5 1.4 1 2.1

Saad Disposals Goals Behinds Tackles I50
9.1 1.3 1.2 3.4 2.1

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"