Free kick tally, this weeks 50 plus points losses

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Club Player

Free kick tally, this weeks 50 plus points losses

BL v Coll : 17 vs 16; GWS vs Carl: 15 vs 15; GFC vs Geel: 8 vs 13; Melb vs Haw: 13 vs 13; StK vs NM : 11 vs 24
It is commonly said the free kick tally is just that it reflects one team chasing another. The stats here belie that explanation. If we are as bad at tackling as it would appear then the coaching is at fault. If the free kicks are really there! I suspect I am not alone in thinking there is another explanation. I have not seen the game, being interstate, but as we seem to be constantly on the wrong end of the free kick split it is time the coaches explained themselves! Or sought an explanation from the umpires!

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
thespine

Re: Free kick tally, this weeks 50 plus points losses

I have often thought this. almost as aoften as every game. i would like to see the stats over a few weeks games and see if it is a trend.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

As I said on another thread, I think our being hammered by the umps all year is a symptom of our poor structure and player positioning. We are consistently coming into contests too late and from the wrong angles. So we give away frees, get caught holding the ball, etc.

I'm afraid it has to go back to the way we are coached. We don't have any particularly dirty players or underhand tactics. So it's a technical thing.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
PakenhamSaint
Club Player

Well todays umpiring was more due to the fact they had more of the ball than us. But on the same token but the times we had the ball we were not getting the frees we should of.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

PakenhamSaint wrote:Well todays umpiring was more due to the fact they had more of the ball than us. But on the same token but the times we had the ball we were not getting the frees we should of.

+1..........so you have to ask why?......are the umpires, biased, incompetent or just plain cheats.....????

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I saw on another forum where somebody posted that we lost the free kick count against the Giants too, so that would shoot down that theory in flames, wouldn't it?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
spert
Saintsational Legend

After watching all the games this season, one of my many concerns with this team is the poor quality of tackling. We are either gifting frees to the opposition with sloppy tackles, or the tackling has been so weak that the opposition can easily break loose and dispose the ball. When you lose by 10 goals, don't worry about umpires, the problem is deeper.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Is it possible St.Kilda has not yet been forgiven for Grant Thomas's up-popularity with the AFL masters?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Is it possible St.Kilda has not yet been forgiven for Grant Thomas's up-popularity with the AFL masters?
You are really clutching at straws there. We just don't play by todays rules.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SuperDuper
Club Player

We got hammered this week by the umps. Watch the replay if you dont believe me. Even the advantage rule just seemed to go against us every time.. advantage to us when there was no advantage, advantage to North after everyone had stopped..!

24-11 is a lot... 4 goals I recon, easily....

Mind you , I recon kicking for goal made a 4 goal difference the other way, we were outplayed in the last 3 quarters, just kicked straiggter than them... so we still deserved to lose by 10 goals!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

it would be interesting to get the free kick counts this year and if any games are high then find out what each freekick was payed for

we might actually be doing something 'wrong'

or

maybe the umps just love screwing with us

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Here's the yearly total free kick differential:

North +34
West Coast +23
Geelong +17
Gold Coast +9
Melbourne +8
Essendon +5
Sydney +5
Fremantle +3
Adelaide +0
Footscray +0
Port -1
Brisbane -6
Richmond -10
Collingwood -11
Hawthorn -11
GWS -13
Carlton -23
St Kilda -29

So it's probably not surprising that we ended up so badly off. North are the best team in the comp at winning frees, and we're the worst.

Be prepared for it to happen again this week as West Coast are second on the list...

If it's corruption then someone needs to explain why AFL lovechild GWS and perennial favourites Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and Hawthorn are so far down the list.

mambo2706
Club Player

2 of the free kicks to us were paid even though we had marked the ball. If they paid the mark and not a free the stats would have been 9 to 24.

paddy
Club Player

we seem to be playing like a bunch of hacks... to be honest...

Most of ther frees are there, and there is no way that the umps have it in for us... more that we are undisciplined and desperate...

However this is to be expected with an green, undersized defensive unit. This is why it always seems like all our frees against are in the oppositions F50, and all our frees for are in defence...

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

paddy wrote:we seem to be playing like a bunch of hacks... to be honest...

Most of ther frees are there, and there is no way that the umps have it in for us... more that we are undisciplined and desperate...

However this is to be expected with an green, undersized defensive unit. This is why it always seems like all our frees against are in the oppositions F50, and all our frees for are in defence...

No issue with that the issue is they are being ignored our way. Against North Hickey was penalised for rucking against Goldstein while Ben came over the top. In the game last night Cox and Nic Nat did it repeatadly.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL