Afl in Tassie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Afl in Tassie

So Tassie are now changing their strategy and pushing for a relocation

If we want to be honest about it there are only two possible sides - us and the kangaroos.

The afl will throw plenty of money at the side that moves south of the strait .

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tas ... 2p06d.html

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Afl in Tassie

No. There are worse options but no.

Just because we're down at the moment let no one cave in. There are other ways to the top and Tasmania deserves its own team anyway.

We're the only team south of the Yarra and should be making the most of the demographic this century.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

What about the Bulldogs. They have next to no members

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:What about the Bulldogs. They have next to no members
Bulldogs: 29,898
St Kilda: 32,562
Melbourne: 32,847
North: 34,524

Only a few thousand less than us. I reckon two of these four clubs will be changed in fifteen years - either moved, merged or folded. The safest option for us would be to pursue Tassie strongly and be the club which moves down there. We'd be able to guarantee a strong continuation of the St Kilda identity then, and we wouldn't be too far away. Choosing not to do that could easily leave us merging or being allowed to go bust.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

I would rather this than move to bloody NZ one day!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Tassie Devils (Demons) ?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:What about the Bulldogs. They have next to no members

The reason I said us or north was because north are already half down there - and according to the article Tassie people like the Saints... and given we keep moving further sth (st kilda, moorabin, seaford) we may end up in Bass Strait anyway :-)

I dont know if Tassie would want the Bulldogs?

But - yeah maybe the Tassie Demons/Devils might work? Garry Lyon is from there originally?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

If we relocate I doubt that I'd stay a member... Tassie or Darwin, doesn't really matter, I won't be getting to games.
Gary Lyon is from kyabram btw con.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gary Lyon was born in Devonport Tasmania.... Moved to Kyabram as a kid

David Nietz is also of Tasmanian origin being born in Ulverstone

Also Nick was obvious born and grew up in Hobart until 11yo

Back to the question....

Would I support relocation... NO... We are the St Kilda Saints

And I'm Tasmanian, and a vocal proud one.... I really wished we were courageous like Hawthorn and not cut and run and made the most of a great opportunity to partner Tassie as Hawthorn have!! But we took the easy, quick fix, selfish option... And have ultimately paid for it.... In many ways... To appease a weak minded coaching staff/player group and narrow minded supporter group

What a disgraceful decision!

What I would say, is that if Tassie formed their own club, I would support them in a heartbeat, as a lot of Tasmanians would...

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What I would say, is that if Tassie formed their own club, I would support them in a heartbeat, as a lot of Tasmanians would...
Well, that'd f*** the Saints. We have a relatively large supporter base of Tasmanians, and if they all switched allegiance to the Tassie side then we'd be in an even bigger hole than we already are. So to avoid that fundamental issue we need to move the Saints to Tassie as a pre-emptive strike.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
BigMart wrote:What I would say, is that if Tassie formed their own club, I would support them in a heartbeat, as a lot of Tasmanians would...
Well, that'd f*** the Saints. We have a relatively large supporter base of Tasmanians, and if they all switched allegiance to the Tassie side then we'd be in an even bigger hole than we already are. So to avoid that fundamental issue we need to move the Saints to Tassie as a pre-emptive strike.
Gotta be kidding me berg's... Pre-emptive relocation in case tassie gets their own team and takes some of our supporters?

Pretty likely tassie won't be getting their own team any time soon.

Marto, were you talking about leaving following the saints for a tassie side, or having a second side?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:If we relocate I doubt that I'd stay a member... Tassie or Darwin, doesn't really matter, I won't be getting to games.
Gary Lyon is from kyabram btw con.

Born in Devonport... Moved to Kyabram as a kid I think?
p66 will know - he loves gazza.

Reality is the AFL wont be handing out any new licences anytime soon - so relocation is only feasible option.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Tasmanian Love StK.. Like people around Moorabbin do, Like people on the peninsula do... And why do you reckon that is?!

I'd think Collingwood aside, StK would be the most supported club fromMoorabbin to Portsea...

Tasmanians are proud and parochial people... One thing they love more than players at the club they support, is Tasmanian players at their clubs... And one thing they love more than their team, is their state.

We are proud of our history, which boasts a history of players that would rival any state... In fact our greatest players stand above many.
Stewart... Arguably the greatest Centreman
Hudson... Arguably the greatest FF
Hart... Arguably the greatest CHF
Baldock... Arguably the greatest player
Nash.... A freak

Throw in Croswell, Lawrence, Greening, Howell, Lynch, Richardson, Roach, Williams, Pritchard... The list goes on and on

dragit
Saintsational Legend

... But would you follow a tassie side over st kilda?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes.... If its a new team.... But that will NEVER happen... Like asking me if I'd dump my wife for Megan Gale?

However, Not another team relocated, like the Kangas... Why,

Because I loathe every other team so much I could NOT support their colours and wouldn't want a Tassie team wearing them... I hate that Hawthorn have Tasmania written on their jumpers...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Okay... still I doubt a huge percentage of our members are Tasmanians... Certainly not enough to force a pre-emptive relocation.

We could lose a couple of thousand members if tassie got a side, but I reckon we'd lose about 25,000 vic members if we relocated.

Are you from tassie begholt?

* I stand corrected on Gary Lyon.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

How the hell do we have less members than Melbourne?

That's a disgrace.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We will not relocate... Not viable

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Okay... still I doubt a huge percentage of our members are Tasmanians... Certainly not enough to force a pre-emptive relocation.

We could lose a couple of thousand members if tassie got a side, but I reckon we'd lose about 25,000 vic members if we relocated.

Are you from tassie bergholt?
Nope. But the reality of it is that if the AFL doesn't want 10 Victorian teams - which seems likely - then someone has to go. I don't want to see the Saints fold, and I don't really want us to move to NZ. Moving to Tassie is the most palatable option if we can't stay a Melbourne-based side, because as BigMart has said, we have a massive Tassie following.

Yes, in the short term we'd lose Vic members, but we've hardly got any of those anyway and we'd gain heaps down there. And regardless, the AFL would support a relocated club for as long as necessary - look at Sydney. If you want the club to survive then it's the most obvious option.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Gary Lyon was born in Devonport Tasmania.... Moved to Kyabram as a kid

David Nietz is also of Tasmanian origin being born in Ulverstone

Also Nick was obvious born and grew up in Hobart until 11yo

Back to the question....

Would I support relocation... NO... We are the St Kilda Saints

And I'm Tasmanian, and a vocal proud one.... I really wished we were courageous like Hawthorn and not cut and run and made the most of a great opportunity to partner Tassie as Hawthorn have!! But we took the easy, quick fix, selfish option... And have ultimately paid for it.... In many ways... To appease a weak minded coaching staff/player group and narrow minded supporter group

What a disgraceful decision!

What I would say, is that if Tassie formed their own club, I would support them in a heartbeat, as a lot of Tasmanians would...

We can only hope they get a team then. cant beleive you ar others would just swap to a tassie side because they have one because you used to live there. Doesnt seem at all logical to me but as you dont go the footy anyway I suppose it doesnt really matter.

supersaints
Club Player

I moved to Tassies east coast four years ago , I think it's only fitting that the Saints follow me here.
Really though, I don't get to see more than half a dozen Saints games.
The peole here love their football and as everyone knows the number of Melbourne based teams will decline at some stage.
There would be some severe advantages for any future relocated Tasmanian team.
A true home ground advantage (etihad is now played by so many sides we have no advantage like the interstate sides and of course Geelong) oh, how I miss Morrabin games!
I think the government and AFL would refurbish Hobart or Launceston stadiums , or even build a new one. Of course state of the art training facilities.
We would possibly get some zoning concessions in drafting to enable us shots at local talent
What really p.......s me off is that the Saints ( as well as the dogs and north are being screwed at etihad and basically buying the stadium for the AFL by having contracts where it is impossible for us to make money. This is no co-incidence The Afl are in a position to ensure we and the other clubs
IMO it's no coincidence that the the three clubs getting screwd at etihad the Afl are more than happy to see nature take its course and seeone of us go under, or be forced to merge.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:I moved to Tassies east coast four years ago , I think it's only fitting that the Saints follow me here.
Really though, I don't get to see more than half a dozen Saints games.
The peole here love their football and as everyone knows the number of Melbourne based teams will decline at some stage.
There would be some severe advantages for any future relocated Tasmanian team.
A true home ground advantage (etihad is now played by so many sides we have no advantage like the interstate sides and of course Geelong) oh, how I miss Morrabin games!
I think the government and AFL would refurbish Hobart or Launceston stadiums , or even build a new one. Of course state of the art training facilities.
We would possibly get some zoning concessions in drafting to enable us shots at local talent
What really p.......s me off is that the Saints ( as well as the dogs and north are being screwed at etihad and basically buying the stadium for the AFL by having contracts where it is impossible for us to make money. This is no co-incidence The Afl are in a position to ensure we and the other clubs
IMO it's no coincidence that the the three clubs getting screwd at etihad the Afl are more than happy to see nature take its course and seeone of us go under, or be forced to merge.

We are getting about 9 million off the AFL because of poor stadium deals. Im not sure there is much else they can do but give us money. Anyway stuff Tassie. Sorry for you but we are a melbourne club.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
dragit wrote:Okay... still I doubt a huge percentage of our members are Tasmanians... Certainly not enough to force a pre-emptive relocation.

Are you from tassie bergholt?
Nope. But the reality of it is that if the AFL doesn't want 10 Victorian teams - which seems likely - then someone has to go. I don't want to see the Saints fold, and I don't really want us to move to NZ. Moving to Tassie is the most palatable option if we can't stay a Melbourne-based side, because as BigMart has said, we have a massive Tassie following.

Yes, in the short term we'd lose Vic members, but we've hardly got any of those anyway and we'd gain heaps down there. And regardless, the AFL would support a relocated club for as long as necessary - look at Sydney. If you want the club to survive then it's the most obvious option.
Tassie or NZ, if we relocate, my heart will not be in it, Brisbane isn't fitzroy, Sydney isn't south Melbourne... I'd rather hang on to the death in vic than pre-emptively relocate...

I would think that north are the most vulnerable, with Melbourne, dogs & us not far behind.

Why do you think that the AFL has just pumped millions into Melbourne if they don't want 10 vic sides? Surely it would have been the perfect opportunity to relocate or fold them?

supersaints
Club Player

I think Melbourne football club is the MCG I am lead to believe that there are contracts written that state MFC must remain part of any Deal the MCC has with the AFL.

Go Sainters !!!!!
supersaints
Club Player

I think Melbourne football club is the MCG I am lead to believe that there are contracts written that state MFC must remain part of any Deal the MCC has with the AFL.

Go Sainters !!!!!