Spencer "Buddy" White

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Spencer "Buddy" White

Fascinating scenario is our Spence.

Does have a bit of Buddy about him but still too lightly built for AFL this season IMO. Another pre season and maybe mid next year he will be properly AFL ready.

Having a look at his Twitter, he's a confident lad but not arrogant.

Must be tricky being 18 and having huge expectations on your shoulders.

I just hope we don't get another Stanley situation - the lad needs to be kept as a key forward and not moved around.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Spencer "Buddy" White

The first thing I would do is not play him this year unless his form demands it. People seem to think he should be given a game or two just to get a taste. If he is good enough he will get his taste this year or he can wait until he deserves his shot. From what I hear he doesnt lack confidence so maybe its better for him not to be gifted games and realise you have to work hard for the whole game and not just show a bit once a quarter.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I really hope our fans aren't pinning all of their hopes on Spencer.

He is a kid with potential, but for too long our club has put all of our hopes on individuals. From barks to Plugger to Harvs, to Lenny, to Roo.

I understand the interest and slight desperation, but we need to pull back just a tad.

Just chill, he wont be something to look at for a couple of seasons. Raw as raw can be,

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we can call him spencer " barry " white !
oooahh baby ..........

In red white and black from 73
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Fascinating scenario is our Spence.

Does have a bit of Buddy about him but still too lightly built for AFL this season IMO. Another pre season and maybe mid next year he will be properly AFL ready.

I just hope we don't get another Stanley situation - the lad needs to be kept as a key forward and not moved around.
lightly built?????have you seen him up close..????.he's a monster.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

Doesn't seem like it on Telly compared to tall AFL players. He's listed at 84kg - is that wrong? That's a lightweight for someone of his height. Sure, he's only 18 so likely to bulk up.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

LONG way to go

Granted Ive only seen him on TV but on Saturday he kicked two lovely goals in the first quarter and for the rest of the game did virtually nothing..out pointed by his opponent several times

Has the raw talent to turn half chances into goals but workrate was very poor and doesnt do nearly enough to create chances for himself

IMO wont play this year

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Interesting comment to come out of the Sandy Telecast ,evidently Scott Wattets asked Phil Cleary do you think we should play him.(Spence)

PADDLEPOP1000
savatage
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:

He's definitely lightly built. Small arms, small chest. It will come with a couple of big pre-seasons.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

A mate who follows Richmond and had nephews playing TAC and junior footy had seen a bit of Spencer and said he called the Tigers to watch him and was devastated when we picked him up first. He said he put in about 10 minutes per game but some of those 10 minutes are so game changing and sublime that you would pay just to watch him. He was saying we should have him in day one and just play him up because the rewards would pay off in three or four years.

His quote was if he can get the effort up to 15 or 20 minutes per game he would be a superstar at any level. Tom Lee wasn't smashing down the door but given opportunity he has lifted. No reason we couldn't gift him a game late season. I would rather we just start getting games into him. It will probably take 50 games to get him properly ready- half the battle is getting them settled and used to the extra pressure and nerves.

Get excited but with in reason- he's a kid who probably will take 4 years to become a star if he does at all. One thing we know is he looks stylish when he does get the ball.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

It's times like these that us fans need a little excitement, and I'm excited about White. He has that Buddy / Cyril X-factor and real swagger to go with it. Personally I'd give him a taste of AFL footy so he realises the work he needs to put in over the pre season to make it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:A mate who follows Richmond and had nephews playing TAC and junior footy had seen a bit of Spencer and said he called the Tigers to watch him and was devastated when we picked him up first. He said he put in about 10 minutes per game but some of those 10 minutes are so game changing and sublime that you would pay just to watch him. He was saying we should have him in day one and just play him up because the rewards would pay off in three or four years.

His quote was if he can get the effort up to 15 or 20 minutes per game he would be a superstar at any level. Tom Lee wasn't smashing down the door but given opportunity he has lifted. No reason we couldn't gift him a game late season. I would rather we just start getting games into him. It will probably take 50 games to get him properly ready- half the battle is getting them settled and used to the extra pressure and nerves.

Get excited but with in reason- he's a kid who probably will take 4 years to become a star if he does at all. One thing we know is he looks stylish when he does get the ball.

My Daughters boyfriend knows Spencer and he thought he went far to early for what he showed at Western jets. Didnt really get going till later in his last year. He said he plays well for 5 minutes a quarter and then doesnt do much for the rest of the game. He is the same at sandy and playing him this season teaches him that you dont need to play well most of the game to get a game. he is a long way off being an AFL player. Even a fair bit off being a good VFL player. Hope they dont gift him games this year and unless he becomes more consistant I doubt he is any hope of playing.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:It's times like these that us fans need a little excitement, and I'm excited about White. He has that Buddy / Cyril X-factor and real swagger to go with it. Personally I'd give him a taste of AFL footy so he realises the work he needs to put in over the pre season to make it.

yeah this guy has got me hyped and can't wait to see him in the big league even for just a pointer to the future. He told me about this kid at the Jets who out of nowhere ran on to a bouncing ball and with out bending down stopped it with the soft pad of his hand, took off toward goal making about 8 lengths from the smaller guy chasing him and ran to about 30 meters and just sent it laser like through the goal. He then followed it up with another few goals then went quiet again. He mentioned him a few more times over the season but wasn't until we drafted him that I managed to put the two together. He's not going to be consistent but gee he will be exciting at times.

spert
Saintsational Legend

A lot of those freakish players don't do the four quarter effort, more like drop in and out with some brilliance which can swing a game

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Where's the like button?

Gringo, it's those stories and glimpses of his ability that excites me. I trust with the clubs increased expenditure they'll give Spencer every opportunity to fulfil his full potential.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I really hope our fans aren't pinning all of their hopes on Spencer.

He is a kid with potential, but for too long our club has put all of our hopes on individuals. From barks to Plugger to Harvs, to Lenny, to Roo.

I understand the interest and slight desperation, but we need to pull back just a tad.

Just chill, he wont be something to look at for a couple of seasons. Raw as raw can be,
+1
I just want to see 22 good players out there running around for the Sainters.
Im not looking for a saviour or having 2 or 3 stars 5 good players and 10 rubbish.
Just 22 good players and ill be a happy chappy.
I see no reason to play Spencer this year. He has already done enough this year IMO. Stepped up from Juniors. Id say it can already be ticked off as a successful transition year for him. So well done.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
stinger wrote:

Doesn't seem like it on Telly compared to tall AFL players. He's listed at 84kg - is that wrong? That's a lightweight for someone of his height. Sure, he's only 18 so likely to bulk up.

mid 90's now i would say......bulked up considerably since being drafted...still he's only a boy...will get a lot bigger ...pretty inconsistent at the moment...but light on his feeet...will be a player...imho.....

ps...did anyone notice the beautiful sidestep in the last quarter......
Last edited by stinger on Mon 15 Jul 2013 1:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:Interesting comment to come out of the Sandy Telecast ,evidently Scott Wattets asked Phil Cleary do you think we should play him.(Spence)
what was cleary's reply....???

gringo
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:Interesting comment to come out of the Sandy Telecast ,evidently Scott Wattets asked Phil Cleary do you think we should play him.(Spence)

would have been "...I remember when I was playing for Coburg....me, me, me... I was much harder than these guys."

VFL often gets in the way of talking about himself.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Evidently he said ,yeah I"d give this kid a go,Personally I think we should wait toll next years pre season games and give him a go in the NAB CUP ,hopefully Sandy get in the finals and we can see how he performs there!

PADDLEPOP1000
stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
stinger wrote:

would have been "...I remember when I was playing for Coburg....me, me, me... I was much harder than these guys."

VFL often gets in the way of talking about himself.

:D

MrCordz
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:I really hope our fans aren't pinning all of their hopes on Spencer.

+1

Humbly St. Kilda
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Of course the downside to him becoming the new Buddy is that we may have to find $10 million in a few years time to keep him.

It's not all roses :cry:

PurpleHayes
Club Player

White should be living breathing and eating with nick riewoldt.

He has the pace, just needs the endurance. Bulk will hopefully come with time.

No point playing him just to get a taste. How did Ferguson go after getting a 'taste'?

Could be the worst thing possible to shatter White's confidence playing above his league...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

People on here keep saying we dont to become the new Melbourne when anyone discusses maybe letting an older non contributing player go (funnily enough we actually arent much ahead of the Dees anyway) but another thing we want to avoid doing is pinning supporters hopes on an under-done 18 yo kid . Thats what Melbourne did and then did again with their latest kid (his name escapes me).

Lets just lay off Spencer. If we were in the top 8 no-one would even be talking about him. But a kids natural development shouldnt be sacrificed just to thirst the fans craving for 'hope in a new star'.

Tommy Lee on the other hand ! Hes 22 so get on the band wagon and pump the kid up!