AFL no longer a sport.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Craw
Club Player

AFL no longer a sport.

AFL no longer a sport.

The days are now long gone when clubs went head to head to achieve the ultimate goal, a premiership. With the introduction of a national league, money from television rights and sponsorship, the AFL has transformed itself into an entertainment beast.

No longer does the league have a draw, now it is a fixture. A fixture that is skewed to maximize viewing potential, not sporting spectacle. It has teams that have advantages of home grounds, additional allowances in spend and travel allowances.

Some would say that events are staged and outcomes influenced to maximize return.

It is geared so that the popular are favoured and the unpopular are pure fodder. Every now and then an underdog drags itself out of the gutter to spark some interest against the perennial favourites. Only to be dragged back down as to not alter the staged order for too long.
The AFL is not a contest, it is money driven spectacle.

It will not be too long, before each game starts, we hear the words ……..

LETS GET READY TO RUUUUUUMMMMBBBLLLLEEEE !

You could then be mistaken you are watching Australia’s equivalent to the United states WWE.

I for one cannot wait for the all comers cage match !!!!

Not Craw, CRAW!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL no longer a sport.

Still seems the great game it has always been. My guess is if we were 16 and nil we would all think its a great game.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Always has been an entertainment beast. No other reason for it.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Well the AFL is certianly not the non profit sporting organisation it tries to portray itself as.

Just money hungry grabbing bunch of self congratulatory wallies who couldn't give two hoots about you and me and other supporters.

There, I've said it.

Over to you contradictory members of SS.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:Well the AFL is certianly not the non profit sporting organisation it tries to portray itself as.

Just money hungry grabbing bunch of self congratulatory wallies who couldn't give two hoots about you and me and other supporters.

There, I've said it.

Over to you contradictory members of SS.
It's probably true. But luckily they still need supporters to pay their wages (eventually), so if you don't like the way they're doing it - vote with your feet/remote. If ratings and crowds fell 10% there'd be a lot of panic at the AFL.

noob
Club Player

Either way you'll still be paying by either watching it on tv or watching it at the ground. You can't just stop watching the club you love.

Majority
Club Player

Michael Buffer is perhaps the most famous boxing announcer in history.
While he has a commanding voice and dashing good lucks,
it’s his catchphrase that solidifies his icon status in the world of boxing.

Buffer coined the phrase “ ” (quote removed for trademark reasons) (lucky I could edit)

And then, in a savvy business move, he trademarked it.
He has made over $400 million by selling the rights to the famous phrase to movies, music, video games, merchandise and by making public appearances.

Read more at http://www.omg-facts.com/Sports/The-Man ... gG7UV10.99

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We survived the WCE, the Dockers and then Brissie then Sydney now the franchises and we are still waiting for them to stand up so we get a fair run at it. One day there will be a level playing field where Collingwood are shipped off to play Port in Darwin and 4 days later go down to Skilled stadium on a wet saturday to do a series of knees. Sydney will need to raise money and use their crammed salary cap wisely. Balh blah blah...

Dream on- we just need to fight harder and shove the AFLs head up it's anus as an under dog team with more passion than most.

howlinwolf
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Still seems the great game it has always been. My guess is if we were 16 and nil we would all think its a great game.
Plugger you do have a point. It wasn't such a sore point in 09/10 but the OP has a point also.
The game has developed more and more reliant on revenue and decisions are made based on this.
I do look back fondly to the old VFL days and preferred that in some ways. It was less business and more grass roots. Hell, even your players were selected from the Club's zone !
It wasn't perfect either though as the rich clubs prospered more as they could buy players with no salary cap.
Our unflattering history is a testament to that.We never had the money to mix it with them over the journey.
I think our game has morphed too far towards the huge business it is.
There's no turning back.

We need to remain loyal and support the club with a plan going forward to be there when the inevitable happens... some traditional VFL clubs become extinct.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Still seems the great game it has always been. My guess is if we were 16 and nil we would all think its a great game.
Plugger you do have a point. It wasn't such a sore point in 09/10 but the OP has a point also.
The game has developed more and more reliant on revenue and decisions are made based on this.
I do look back fondly to the old VFL days and preferred that in some ways. It was less business and more grass roots. Hell, even your players were selected from the Club's zone !
It wasn't perfect either though as the rich clubs prospered more as they could buy players with no salary cap.
Our unflattering history is a testament to that.We never had the money to mix it with them over the journey.
There's no turning back.

We need to remain loyal and support the club with a plan going forward to be there when the inevitable happens... some traditional VFL clubs become extinct.

The national game has been the best thing to happen to our club. Before that we were probably folding and if not we were a basket case. Apart from that elusive flag we have clearly had our best ever era. Still plenty of things where the smaller clubs get a raw deal but I suggest people either werent alive in the old VFL days or have memory issues because we were a pretty ordinary club back then.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I can only speak for myself but I haven't gone to more than 2-3 games a year minus finals since about 2006 despite always buying a social club membership

I don't enjoy watching the game that much anymore.

It bugs me that it's such an uneven playing field but what I really can't stand is the umpring and the rule interpretations. There are just too many free kicks paid in this game which makes it ^%$# to watch. I don't go to the footy to watch the umpires pay free kicks. I don't give a damn if someone slaps Riewoldts hands or for 3s 2 players run onto the ground or Dal Santo swats the ball out of his opponents hands to the ground delaying the game by 0.3s

I want the team that wins the contests and key moments to be victors

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'm with the OP.
I had this conversation with my old man today.
The game (at AFL level) is now entertainment firs,t second and third. Sport fourth.
The faustian bargain between sport, broadcasters and betting agencies has set up its own system. How many people now make their livelihoods off the game as parasites that suckle on the games teats - their interests always served by fattening the pig - and guess who feeds the pig? It is a revenue maximising industry - and with that the pure essence of the AFL as a sport is forever lost.

howlinwolf
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
howlinwolf wrote:
There's no turning back.

The national game has been the best thing to happen to our club. Before that we were probably folding and if not we were a basket case. Apart from that elusive flag we have clearly had our best ever era. Still plenty of things where the smaller clubs get a raw deal but I suggest people either werent alive in the old VFL days or have memory issues because we were a pretty ordinary club back then.
I agree with this. It's been my most enjoyable period since 1975.
We've become a much more professional Club than ever before and started to get some actual respect for a while.
That doesn't mean it's all rosy. There are plenty of valid points in this thread.

The new umpiring rules have been good in some regards like head high hits etc but some are plain stupid and have over complicated things.Like the interchange penalty.
There are too many new rules for the umpires to keep in the front of their minds at any one time.That's why they make mistakes.
They forget about some and then next week that is the focus until next week and it's another rule they forgot to police.
The new clubs have got far too much of a leg up to start with.Too many draft picks and concessions.
They will be powerhouses in no time and traditional clubs will fold.GC is an example. Finals next year, probably.
The fixture is a joke. Lopsided and not a level playing field.
ANZAC Day should be a day celebrated with national pride by all clubs , not just 2.

It's a work in progress.Not all changes have been for the better.

I do still miss the grass roots times of mid 70's/80's even though it was far from perfect.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I felt the game was cactus in 2006.

And I never felt lower about it than I did in 2009 and 2010.

I feel vindicated these days.

So your simplistic and naive theory is wrong.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I'm with the OP.
I had this conversation with my old man today.
The game (at AFL level) is now entertainment firs,t second and third. Sport fourth.
The faustian bargain between sport, broadcasters and betting agencies has set up its own system. How many people now make their livelihoods off the game as parasites that suckle on the games teats - their interests always served by fattening the pig - and guess who feeds the pig? It is a revenue maximising industry - and with that the pure essence of the AFL as a sport is forever lost.

I agree on the gambling interests. that was pretty much the lowest point where the gambling industry was able to get a foot in the door. It opens the game up to corruption and corrupting influences. Television is and always has been in partnership and is symbiotic, gambling isn't.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

Its wrong because you think that way. My god who is the simpleton. And how could any true saints supporter feel lower about the game in 2009 and 2010 apart from the disappoinment of losing. You are back in form just like the Aussie cricket side.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Its wrong because you think that way. My god who is the simpleton. And how could any true saints supporter feel lower about the game in 2009 and 2010 apart from the disappoinment of losing. You are back in form just like the Aussie cricket side.
Dont waste your breath arguing with p66 on this.
He just slavishly apes every press Release from AFL House and you think everyone in charge and in a position of power is beyond reproach. Its embarrassing sometimes.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

The Craw wrote: No longer does the league have a draw, now it is a fixture. A fixture that is skewed to maximize viewing potential
But this isn't a new revelation? This has been crystal clear for a couple of decades.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

You said "My guess is if we were 16 and nil we would all think its a great game".

We were 16-0 and we didn't all think it was a great game.

So you're wrong.

Yet again.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Dont waste your breath arguing with p66 on this.
He just slavishly apes every press Release from AFL House and you think everyone in charge and in a position of power is beyond reproach. Its embarrassing sometimes.

So Con apart from just having a go at me did you actually read what this person wrote. I suggest no. He thinks the game was at its lowest in the 2 years we made the GF. Now give me a break. Go through a few posts of this guy con and see how much he just hangs it on our club and that is confirmed by saying the 2 years we made tthe Gf the game was at its lowest. And dont worry he wasnt talking about losing. But no Con you would have a go at me than stick up for those years being great years for our club bar the result we wanted. i take it Con you dont remember RF. You soon will if he keeps posting and im guessing you will even rather read my posts than his soon enough. he murders people for fun.

And im sorry if i still love the game. You can choose to hate it if you like but i will give you the tip, many Saints peoploe would love the game if we were going as well as 2009 bar a couple on here who stick pins in their eyes for fun.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

The game is like a drug, and as such the suppliers screw the consumers as much as they want knowing we can't kick the habit.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: So Con apart from just having a go at me did you actually read what this person wrote. I suggest no. He thinks the game was at its lowest in the 2 years we made the GF. Now give me a break. Go through a few posts of this guy con and see how much he just hangs it on our club and that is confirmed by saying the 2 years we made tthe Gf the game was at its lowest. And dont worry he wasnt talking about losing. But no Con you would have a go at me than stick up for those years being great years for our club bar the result we wanted. i take it Con you dont remember RF. You soon will if he keeps posting and im guessing you will even rather read my posts than his soon enough. he murders people for fun.

And im sorry if i still love the game. You can choose to hate it if you like but i will give you the tip, many Saints peoploe would love the game if we were going as well as 2009 bar a couple on here who stick pins in their eyes for fun.
09 was awesome!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
He thinks the game was at its lowest in the 2 years we made the GF. Now give me a break. Go through a few posts of this guy con and see how much he just hangs it on our club and that is confirmed by saying the 2 years we made tthe Gf the game was at its lowest. And dont worry he wasnt talking about losing. But no Con you would have a go at me than stick up for those years being great years for our club bar the result we wanted.

What does the Saints results have to do with whether or not the AFL have f***ed the game up?

The results were the best I've ever witnessed. The sport however, had become nothing short of farcical.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
He thinks the game was at its lowest in the 2 years we made the GF. Now give me a break. Go through a few posts of this guy con and see how much he just hangs it on our club and that is confirmed by saying the 2 years we made tthe Gf the game was at its lowest. And dont worry he wasnt talking about losing. But no Con you would have a go at me than stick up for those years being great years for our club bar the result we wanted.

What does the Saints results have to do with whether or not the AFL have f***ed the game up?

The results were the best I've ever witnessed. The sport however, had become nothing short of farcical.

And how is the game stuffed up at its worst in those 2 years in particular? Dead people are more fun than you.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I was watching the Crows/Cats game yesty on TV. With the volume off as usual. But later I turned it off as I had things to do. I can't be bothered watching other games anymore.

Plugger, back in 09/10, the umps weren't deciding games like now. The silly rule interpretations hadnt started affecting games.

I haven't watched any finals games since we lost in 2011 to Shitney. And I never will until we make them again. Absolutely zero interest. Thank f***, the EPL and NFL start soon.