Dermott's love for watters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Dermott's love for watters

Is sickening...

On SEN now.

The jury's still out for me whether he can coach or not,but Dermott speaks of him as the second coming of Norm Smith

Bring back the Lockett era
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Re: Dermott's love for watters

I'm liking Watters atm.. think he's taking the right approach to this task.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

But is he the best of all time like Dermott says?

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Watters will be next on SEN. Time now Sat. 11.44am.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

jonesy wrote:But is he the best of all time like Dermott says?
don't know about that Jonesy... time will tell aye... still remember the comment regarding RL first few and GTs for that matter... I think next year Watters will really start to get looked at if we sink lower on the ladder. personally I will be a little disappointed if we finish under 16th next year.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Dermott didnt say that

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
Dermott didnt say that
Not far from it.

Said he's the best identifier of talent, and matching that strength against an opponents weakness, that he's ever seen.

He is so glowing of him it's almost an obsession.
For what it's worth I think we should give him an extra year or two on his current contract,no point sacking the coach at this point, he needs time to grow with the list, and if identifying talent is his strength then give him his chance, but Dermott's been trotting this line out from 18 months now,and no one could honestly say they have definetly seen it

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

that's great if Dermott loves Watters... would be great to get him is as a forward coach.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

As usual Watters spoke well.

Same line he has been putting for the past 12-18 months.

We are bringing the young players up together as a group. Desperately need a fullback, looking for a quality mid in the 25 under age.

McEvoy is not going anywhere.

Nice on Curran. Put him on Mitchell for a quarter and a half and said he wanted to know what he learned. Walking down the race Curran said to Watters "he is hard and tough at the ball but i feel i can play against him".

Sounds like Watters knows exactly what he wants from his kids and is encouraging it.

Watters is under no illusions. As he would have not been when he was appointed.

Looking 5 years ahead.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I am of the opinion that Mr Watters has the makings of a VERY good coach. At this moment in time he is still very much in a learning mode, (like the youngsters he's brought in) and I'm sure that we are going to see a very good side develop over his tenure at the St Kilda Football Club. We are going to have pain in buckets before we see the fruits of the new Football department's work during this period in our history. What is required from us as supporters is to have patience, cool heads, strong nerve (I'm sure MOST of us already have thick skins, so I've taken that requirement as a "given" :wink: ) and FAITH in 2014 to renew our memberships attend matches and show the footy world what we are made of! GO SAINTS! (and to hell with the rest!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Thanks joffaboy

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Nice on Curran. Put him on Mitchell for a quarter and a half and said he wanted to know what he learned. Walking down the race Curran said to Watters "he is hard and tough at the ball but i feel i can play against him".
love it!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Watters has got a cool head on his shoulders. Keeps his eye on at the big picture which all good coaches do. I'm sure players love his clarity and level headedness.

SideshowMilne
Club Player

Derm will be at the saints next year in some capacity.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

A coach is only as good as his players.. a team's long term success hinges on good recruiting.

We've recruited Shenton(at pick 30 in the rookie draft, who might still make it, who knows?) ahead of Marley Williams(a gift at pick 35 in the rookie draft, who was expected to go in the regular draft and who is getting regular games in a stronger team!!).
We also missed out on Seedsman at pick 76 in the 2010 draft.

Collingwood and Geelong remain successsful largely because their recruiters are on the ball.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

thejiggingsaint wrote:I am of the opinion that Mr Watters has the makings of a VERY good coach. At this moment in time he is still very much in a learning mode, (like the youngsters he's brought in) and I'm sure that we are going to see a very good side develop over his tenure at the St Kilda Football Club. We are going to have pain in buckets before we see the fruits of the new Football department's work during this period in our history. What is required from us as supporters is to have patience, cool heads, strong nerve (I'm sure MOST of us already have thick skins, so I've taken that requirement as a "given" :wink: ) and FAITH in 2014 to renew our memberships attend matches and show the footy world what we are made of! GO SAINTS! (and to hell with the rest!)
As always, common sense from the Jigster.

It's going to be a couple of years pain until we rebuild, (yes, I said that word), and sacking the coach midstream is not going to solve anything. It is quite possible that we will finish on the bottom next year. :cry:

We as supporters have to hang tight, our days in September will return. We've endured this before, we can do this again.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Watters and Dermie spent a lot of time chatting together at the Sandy game a couple of weeks ago.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Dermie in some capacity with us next year

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stinger
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
mullet wrote:
Dermott didnt say that
Not far from it.

Said he's the best identifier of talent, and matching that strength against an opponents weakness, that he's ever seen.

H
then why wasn't hickey in the side....sick making to see an undersized lee trying to mix it in the ruck against monsters...could have got badly injured......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:that's great if Dermott loves Watters... would be great to get him is as a forward coach.
he has that role with gws.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Wouldn't be surprised to see Dermie in some capacity with us next year
I'm for him as a forward coach... see what happens in 014

Fortius Quo Fidelius
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:I think next year Watters will really start to get looked at if we sink lower on the ladder. personally I will be a little disappointed if we finish under 16th next year.
That makes no sense. How do you expect us to do better next year than this? Our quality players will be one year older and our kids will still only have a few games under their belts. I wouldn't expect too much from 2014 if I was you.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

ShanghaiSaint wrote:I'm liking Watters atm.. think he's taking the right approach to this task.

Totally agree. At this stage next year I think you will all be on board.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Getting Dermie to the Saints would be a huge boost to our club. It would be the better than getting a president with a high pubic profile IMO. His style and approach to how clubs should work crossed with his public profile would be a massive, massive boost to a list and club like ours. The young blokes respond really well to him from what I understand and having him spruke for us in the media would also be invaluable. I'm a fan.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He hasn't put a foot wrong so far in what could have been a terrible time for the club. there is enough to suggest there are some good kids coming through and he has to be given credit for developing Jack Steven and Armo to the next level and fast tracking plenty of youth. We are giving a pretty decent effort in most games before running out of legs, all you can ask ATM.

sasaint
Club Player

ShanghaiSaint wrote:I'm liking Watters atm.. think he's taking the right approach to this task.
Agree with this. Jury still out on how good a coach he is but we are in a rebuild and that is never pretty. Great to watch the kids develop and the supporters just need to hang tough for a couple of lean years. :( So much will rely on Pelchen to draft well. As so many others have pointed out the dominant teams have been built by the recruiting staff. Think Geelong, Sydney, Pies. I really hope we don't swap out our top draft picks for recycled players. Doing what the Pies did to us with Ball is another matter. :twisted:

If I could take out a 3 year membership to show I had faith I would. Because that is how long I think we will have to wait to see some real success again. :shock:

Patience young grasshopper