Michael Barlow and our recruitment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Michael Barlow and our recruitment

To everyone who wants to sack the coach I want to punch you in the face.
If you are looking for a reason why we are third bottom look no further than Michael Barlow.
Did a pre season with us 5 years ago and we couldn't even Rookie him.
Wtf ???????
Our recruitment back then was f****** disgraceful.
We are now paying the piper.
We were under resourced under everything.
Disgrace.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Michael Barlow and our recruitment

He trained with us over the 07/08 preseason.

We used pick 70 something on G who wanted to come back after his fluff in Switzerland didn't work out and he felt homesick for his mates and footy.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scoop
Club Player

Sam Mitchell also trained with us ....... the coaching staff at the time considerd him too slow!!

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Barlow is no Eljay Conners, or Glen Chivers either? Who found there way onto the list....

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Barlow is no Eljay Conners, or Glen Chivers either? Who found there way onto the list....
Did you let the recruiters know at the time that they were idiots, or did you wait until they were proven to be idiots, i'm tipping the latter.. :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:He trained with us over the 07/08 preseason.

We used pick 70 something on G who wanted to come back after his fluff in Switzerland didn't work out and he felt homesick for his mates and footy.
Barlow did the 2009 pre-season at the Saints. Shame no recruiter or coach could see through whatever fault the 22 y o supposedly had -
and even take him as a rookie prob equal to DP 100+

Doesn't take a shrewd recruiter to draft a Boyd, Whitfield or Patton who dominate the U18's

Hold your ground :shock:
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:To everyone who wants to sack the coach I want to punch you in the face.
If you are looking for a reason why we are third bottom look no further than Michael Barlow.
Wtf ???????
Disgrace.
Easy to make these types of calls in hindsight con. Just like I should have bought cba shares in dec 2002... Fraak how good would it be now in my gt2.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

They get paid a lot more than me, to make expert decisions.... They should be more informed.... Some have lots of experience

I mean a 62kg EJ Connors who was an inconsistent TAC Cup player against a 189cm mid who just won the VFL u21 medal?

And Glen Chivers.... He was just OK in Caseys reserves.... On par with Ilzy who played forum games....

Munga
Saintsational Legend

FFS Can we name names? Whose FAULT was it not taking guys like Barlow and Mitchell? Coaches? List managers? Recruiters? Scouts? Board? Fans? WTF???

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
DK27
Club Player

I saw him train with the Saints. His upper body was small and he had big hips. Didn't look like a footballer. Also pulled a hammy while training and looked pretty disheartened. Didnt really get a chance to show his stuff. Understandable why he wasn't picked up.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

DK27 wrote:I saw him train with the Saints. His upper body was small and he had big hips. Didn't look like a footballer. Also pulled a hammy while training and looked pretty disheartened. Didnt really get a chance to show his stuff. Understandable why he wasn't picked up.
Don't ruin things with your on the spot observations :x

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Yet no club drafted him in the main draft only got rookied. Must be lots of morons at AFL level in your eyes.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:They get paid a lot more than me, to make expert decisions.... They should be more informed.... Some have lots of experience

I mean a 62kg EJ Connors who was an inconsistent TAC Cup player against a 189cm mid who just won the VFL u21 medal?

And Glen Chivers.... He was just OK in Caseys reserves.... On par with Ilzy who played forum games....

You really are hilarious.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Barlow is no Eljay Conners, or Glen Chivers either? Who found there way onto the list....
Did you let the recruiters know at the time that they were idiots, or did you wait until they were proven to be idiots, i'm tipping the latter.. :roll:
pardon me?
pardon me?
mate there are 18 sides. our recruiters got the worst % for 2004-2010 so dont get smart with me.
cos we sucked. its proven.
whats your number.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:To everyone who wants to sack the coach I want to punch you in the face.
Wtf ???????
Disgrace.
Easy to make these types of calls in hindsight con. Just like I should have bought cba shares in dec 2002... Fraak how good would it be now in my gt2.
No ******** -its easier to make the call that we have lowest % of recruits in this period playing 50 games
this is objective and statistically proven on any kind of measure.
seriously. . im coming to shanghai. ill get a flight and ill punch you in the face.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ok I give up.
We did an average recruitment job apparently .
Same as every other club .
Kinda like opes prime investors did the same as warren buffet.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We have a good list full of champs.
We just need a messiah coach and we will win the flag.

supersaints
Club Player

DK27 wrote:I saw him train with the Saints. His upper body was small and he had big hips. Didn't look like a footballer. Also pulled a hammy while training and looked pretty disheartened. Didnt really get a chance to show his stuff. Understandable why he wasn't picked up.
I saw him play for Werribee in 2008 , he ended up winning the VFLs best under 23 yo player award.
( I think he had won Sheppertons B&F the year before)

I sent an email to the Saints mid 2008 about looking at Him
I was told by someone at the Werribee club that he had already done a pre season at the Saints in 2007, so I presume they looked at him twice ? (also 2009 pre season?)

Had big hips but so did Leigh Matthews , Certainly didn't look too shabby in 2008 at VFL level

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:

And I am tipping its the recruiters who get paid to do their job who should be better than they have been over that period so yes they should have got more right than they dis

I love this club
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
pardon me?
pardon me?
mate there are 18 sides. our recruiters got the worst % for 2004-2010 so dont get smart with me.
cos we sucked. its proven.
whats your number.

Never drink and post at the same time Con.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:FFS Can we name names? Whose FAULT was it not taking guys like Barlow and Mitchell? Coaches? List managers? Recruiters? Scouts? Board? Fans? WTF???
His name is John Peake. He was our recruiting manager. Has since been sacked !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I wonder why guys like Miles Sewell Brad Sewells brother who has won multiple VFL awards can't get a try out. His brother has deficiencies like Mitchell and barlow have but also some of their great qualities. They all look slow but just are natural footballers. J Pod was tarred with the same brush until he was given a go at 29. Goodes brother the same. Curren was good at VFL and hasn't struggles to lift up into AFL. I'm no recruiter but have a freakin look at them at least.

Freebird
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:They get paid a lot more than me, to make expert decisions.... They should be more informed.... Some have lots of experience

You really are hilarious.

And taking Howard a smokie at pick 26 when we could have got him at pick 106 was hilarious too 666

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Couple of things

I love the defense that everyone else missed him, so it's ok we did.... Problem with that Freo did not? And Barlow trained with us for for three months?

P66
You are obsessed, still....

How's the clubs recruiting been in your valuable opinion?

While we're at it, what about some huge management decisions.... I can think of three that have cost dearly?! I know you hate to admit it, but given our draft bonanza early 2000's we have found ourselves in a great position, in every respect???

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Couple of things

I love the defense that everyone else missed him, so it's ok we did.... Problem with that Freo did not? And Barlow trained with us for for three months?

P66
You are obsessed, still....

How's the clubs recruiting been in your valuable opinion?

While we're at it, what about some huge management decisions.... I can think of three that have cost dearly?! I know you hate to admit it, but given our draft bonanza early 2000's we have found ourselves in a great position, in every respect???

I think the clubs recruiting has been shocking for years and have said that many times but I never use hindsight to point out all our bad picks. That is far to easy and i could show you bad picks at even the best clubs. And thanks for the guessing game for the next statement. Hilarious.