Jolly!!??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

Jolly!!??

Signing him ?

happy feet
Club Player

Re: Jolly!!??

Reported on the news this morning. Not such a bad move, good ruck, premiership player, hopefully will be fit to contribute.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

4 years too late.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Could be a very smart option for a season or two while Hickey and Stanley come on.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Very disappointed if true. Ordinary footballer. Injury prone. Communicates poorly in the media. Been known to slag teammates and former clubs. Has now left three clubs on bad terms. There's better options.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Joins our great pantheon of washed-up hack rucks.

But will never surpass the likes of doc Clarke, or the one and only Damien Monkhorst.

Hopefully.

FQF
SS Life Member

If he is predominantly a ruck coach, and secondarily a back up option in case of injuries, I'm more than content.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think he's an insurance policy. When we got Gardy I thought he was in the same boat too though. Hickey and Rhys will learn heaps from a guy who was never as big as some of the monster rucks but used technique to win the hit outs.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Why not trade ALL our picks for Heath Shaw, Didak, and any other hand-me-downs that Watters used to coach.
We will be laughed at now.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:If he is predominantly a ruck coach, and secondarily a back up option in case of injuries, I'm more than content.
Yep, just so long as we store him in something like this :wink:

saintlee
Club Player

Very happy to get Jolly for a couple of years. Very good ruckman IMO, albeit past his prime. Smart move I think

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Annoying if true. s*** bloke who is really past it.

If he's purely for emergency then I pray he's on the rookie list.

As far as being a coach goes I'd have him as far away from mentoring our young kids as possible.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:Annoying if true. s*** bloke who is really past it.
We have lost Mac to trade, Blake has retired, we have a raw ruckman with potential in Hickey, Stanley who is in the same boat, and Pierce who hasn't played a game in seniors.

We need an older ruckman to steady the ship
Hurricane wrote:If he's purely for emergency then I pray he's on the rookie list.
Why? Whats the use of that. Stanley is injury prone, Hickey probably not up to No.1 ruck for 22 games. What happens if we get ruck injuries? Maister?
Hurricane wrote:As far as being a coach goes I'd have him as far away from mentoring our young kids as possible.
Why? Cause he bagged that soft<redacted> B!tchslap Frasier. Said what most people think of Josh Frasier, an overrated sook.

Many a person who is percieved as ordinary are great coaches. Ross Lyon for a start, Grant Thomas another.

A reckon it is a good move and will help development of our rucks now Mac is gone.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

How about Trent West from the pussies? He's been mentioned in various missives (I got that word from Tom Chadwick) as being trade bait. With all the competition for ruck spots at Geelong, being Blicavs, Simpson, McIntosh, Vardy etc. he has slipped in the order and may come cheaply. A much better all round choice than Jolly, I would think, who has recently looked well past it.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Hurricane wrote:Annoying if true. s*** bloke who is really past it.
We have lost Mac to trade, Blake has retired, we have a raw ruckman with potential in Hickey, Stanley who is in the same boat, and Pierce who hasn't played a game in seniors.

We need an older ruckman to steady the ship
Hurricane wrote:If he's purely for emergency then I pray he's on the rookie list.
Why? Whats the use of that. Stanley is injury prone, Hickey probably not up to No.1 ruck for 22 games. What happens if we get ruck injuries? Maister?
Hurricane wrote:As far as being a coach goes I'd have him as far away from mentoring our young kids as possible.
Why? Cause he bagged that soft<redacted> B!tchslap Frasier. Said what most people think of Josh Frasier, an overrated sook.

Many a person who is percieved as ordinary are great coaches. Ross Lyon for a start, Grant Thomas another.

A reckon it is a good move and will help development of our rucks now Mac is gone.
Ok ill answer these in turn since you've picked my post apart to question it.

Yes we need a ruckman to steady the ship. You'd think in the early stages of a rebulid that a 33 year old who has been injury prone shouldn't be high on the list. There should be a few others like West, Derrickx or Longer who would fit. Besides I don't see why Pierce couldn't play if Hickey and Stanley both go down. He's a ruckman after all.

Putting him on the rookie list benefits us from the point of view that if Hickey or Stanley get a long term injury we can upgrade him. Plus we don't have to pay him anymore than the rookie wage.

It's poor form to bag anyone from a former club. At 33 you'd think Jolly would know better than that. Speaks of an attitude we don't need around a young list.

I think it's an over correction and a reaction to negative press from jurnos and fans. Take from that what you will

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

i think this is a good thing. will be cheap, offers experience, will be 50/50 playing and coaching and most of all he will turn up against the pies and look to prove a point!

caveat that he stays out of the media tho...

#1 Ryder fan
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Is this official??

FQF
SS Life Member

Regarding him as a coach:

I don't think that just because he might not be a nice guy, or a "good bloke," means he won't make a good coach.

Firstly, from a pure football technical point of view, no one is doubting his ability and what he might be able to pass on to our young ruckmen.

Secondly, he is/was a passionate player, who was aggresive on the field and could fire up the game with passion and grunt. If only he could have passed that on to McEvoy when he was still with us. But if he can imbue a bit of that attitude to our ruckmen, it will go a long way to helping them develop.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Quite like the idea of getting him on board.

He'll help fill the void while we develop our next generation and pass on plenty of valuable experience. That's exactly what Gardiner and King did with McEvoy and Stanley - and both also played very well for this club.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

there are worse things we could do ... honestly Jolly is just a big lump of a man that we will use up to take some of the pressure off Hickey ... hes not going to be a McEvoy replacement hes not even going to be a Steven King type his job is going to be to take on the heavey stuff when Hickey is starting to feel the pinch ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

He hasn't joined us to help us win a premiership has he?

His motivation NOW and his goals NOW compared to 2009 will be totally different.

The guy has come to us to continue his involvement in footy. I don't think he'll be quite as outspoken or controversial if he wants to cement himself as a mentor and coach.

Richter
SS Life Member

White Winmar wrote:How about Trent West from the pussies? He's been mentioned in various missives (I got that word from Tom Chadwick) as being trade bait. With all the competition for ruck spots at Geelong, being Blicavs, Simpson, McIntosh, Vardy etc. he has slipped in the order and may come cheaply. A much better all round choice than Jolly, I would think, who has recently looked well past it.
Has he though? Yes he got injured. Here's how West and Jolly compare stats-wise for last season

Jolly
9 games, averaging 11.8 disp, 4.4 marks, 0.4 goals, 3.6 tackles, 2.6 clearances, 23.2 hitouts

West
13 games averaging 9.8 disp, 1.8 marks, 0.4 goals, 0.9 tackles, 1.7 clearances, 21.4 hitouts

For mine, if Jolly proves in a medical that he is not shot, then he could well be a reasonable short term option.

On those numbers West is a spud ruckman who offers very little around the ground. No thanks.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
FQF wrote:If he is predominantly a ruck coach, and secondarily a back up option in case of injuries, I'm more than content.
Yep, just so long as we store him in something like this :wink:

Looks a jolly bit small, Doc old chap

lewdogs
Club Player

Definitely not a spud. In fact, he had destroyed us on more than one occasion including 2010 GF replay.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

At 31 turning 32 it's a no brainer for mine, as long as the medical team says OK.
2 year deal, no worries.

Stanley and Hickey could do far worse than learn what it takes intensity and mongrel wise from Jolly.
It is that side of the game as much as technically that they both need nurtured.