A reflection on Trading and our issues going forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

A reflection on Trading and our issues going forward

I reckon there will be some posters on here who will go real quiet after the things they have posted here about our trading.

Apparently we were being laughed at by the other clubs and their supporters.

But look how we ended up - EXACTLY how Pelchan said he wanted to the Platinum Members a couple of months back.

We have got our 3 picks in the top 20

We landed two backman

We landed a experienced mid fielder

We were told to expect a couple of shockes - Mac was certainly a shock Dal not so much.

Big shock was we landed a ruckman top ten ruckman with huge potential.

Some humble pie will be order of the day.

Still - a big caveat. All of this is POTENTIAL only.

Longer, and Bruce have some huge upside but remain vastly inexperienced.

Savage has been starved of opportunities is a good player by all reports but was not good enough to play in a premiership starting 22. Also remember TDL was emergency for the GF in 2012 so no guarantee there.

Big if on Delaney. North have not set the world on fire the past few seasons but Delaney couldn't get a gig - a huge ? hangs over him in the medium to longer term, especially as we get constant flogging next season.

And the three top 20 picks will see little game time next season as they get physically up to speed with AFL.

So we shouldn't rejoice too loudly. We are in for a world of pain on the field. We are experiencing some financial difficulties, and Watters is still not guaranteed to be a long term proposition.

But as we stand today, we are at the foot of the mountain ready to start climbing.

If you are a Saints supporter, you HAVE to be excited and filled with hope once more.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
FQF
SS Life Member

Re: A reflection on Trading and our issues going forward

Most of our younger players and recent additions are all unestablished with big upside.

The challenge now will be to keep everyone developing in a good team structure so that they all hit their peak more or less at the same time.

Will be intriguing to watch, that's for sure.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

It is a brilliant effort by Bains, Pelchen and the St Kilda Football Club.

Blooody brilliant!

However it does lead to some immediate problems.

Like.....

.....how does Mark Fine, and at least one poster on here, turn this into a disastrous outcome for the Saints? :shock:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Most of our younger players and recent additions are all unestablished with big upside.

The challenge now will be to keep everyone developing in a good team structure so that they all hit their peak more or less at the same time.

Well FQF, thats where we are at.

No point moaning about being in Grand finals half a decade ago, we are were we are, and really thats that.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
spert
Saintsational Legend

I remember when Reiwoldt, Kosi, Goddard, NDS all started out at various stages.. looked like they could go on and seemed to have plenty of potential, but it took a couple of years for them to find their feet.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:It is a brilliant effort by Bains, Pelchen and the St Kilda Football Club.

Blooody brilliant!

However it does lead to some immediate problems.

Like.....

.....how does Mark Fine, and at least one poster on here, turn this into a disastrous outcome for the Saints? :shock:
They will call us weak minded and sheep.

And will re-iterate what I said - it is all potential.

As we cop floggings next season, they will moan and the SACK WATTERS! Cabal will swing into full frenzy mode...you know, like the expected floggings next season would never have happened under Alan Richardson, or if we didn't trade Luke Ball.

All stems back to that for some.

Just wondering Dr, you reckon all those Hawk and North supporters and the other clubs recruiters are still laughing at us?

Lance or James??

Kernal75
Club Player

It will be interesting to see what the "experts" make of our trading this year. Personally, I'm excited by what we've achieved this period, yes we'll struggle in the next year or so but I think we have gone a long way to addressing our areas of need. No doubt we'll be lambasted for "losing an experinced ruckman" and trading a "quality midfielder", but what they will no doubt fail to see is that we have recruited for the future.

Well done Saints!!

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

But, we did keep Fisher to buttress Bruce's and Delaney's transitions against the development (Bruce) and capability (Delaney) doubts.

Gives us something to work with, in contrast to this year's HBF festival down back. Team selection can move beyond drawing straws to see who tops the match up size differential.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:It will be interesting to see what the "experts" make of our trading this year. Personally, I'm excited by what we've achieved this period, yes we'll struggle in the next year or so but I think we have gone a long way to addressing our areas of need. No doubt we'll be lambasted for "losing an experinced ruckman" and trading a "quality midfielder", but what they will no doubt fail to see is that we have recruited for the future.

Well done Saints!!

Only the Barrett's and Wallaces of this world. Others have already stated it has been a good trade period for the Saints.

Even heard Maher this morning saying Longer was a HUGE win for the Saints.

Lance or James??

FQF
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
FQF wrote:Most of our younger players and recent additions are all unestablished with big upside.

No point moaning about being in Grand finals half a decade ago, we are were we are, and really thats that.
I was moaning?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:But, we did keep Fisher to buttress Bruce's and Delaney's transitions against the development (Bruce) and capability (Delaney) doubts.

Gives us something to work with, in contrast to this year's HBF festival down back. Team selection can move beyond drawing straws to see who tops the match up size differential.

Indeed.

Got sick of the oppo's game plan of isolate the FF/FB and put it on the FF's head this season.

may have to think twice next season.

Lance or James??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

I was moaning?

No didn't mean that. I was agreeing with you and basicallly stating that there was no use moaning about way back when (as other posters still do).

Lance or James??

gringo
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I reckon there will be some posters on here who will go real quiet after the things they have posted here about our trading.

Apparently we were being laughed at by the other clubs and their supporters.

But look how we ended up - EXACTLY how Pelchan said he wanted to the Platinum Members a couple of months back.

We have got our 3 picks in the top 20

We landed two backman

We landed a experienced mid fielder

We were told to expect a couple of shockes - Mac was certainly a shock Dal not so much.

Big shock was we landed a ruckman top ten ruckman with huge potential.

Some humble pie will be order of the day.

Still - a big caveat. All of this is POTENTIAL only.

Longer, and Bruce have some huge upside but remain vastly inexperienced.

Savage has been starved of opportunities is a good player by all reports but was not good enough to play in a premiership starting 22. Also remember TDL was emergency for the GF in 2012 so no guarantee there.

Big if on Delaney. North have not set the world on fire the past few seasons but Delaney couldn't get a gig - a huge ? hangs over him in the medium to longer term, especially as we get constant flogging next season.

And the three top 20 picks will see little game time next season as they get physically up to speed with AFL.

So we shouldn't rejoice too loudly. We are in for a world of pain on the field. We are experiencing some financial difficulties, and Watters is still not guaranteed to be a long term proposition.

But as we stand today, we are at the foot of the mountain ready to start climbing.

If you are a Saints supporter, you HAVE to be excited and filled with hope once more.

I actually think Delaney will show more early than Longer or Bruce and North actually have a glut of backs and need their midfield to get a little less flustered under pressure. That's why Dal went there. Savage can play and may get even better. Bruce is a big athletic type and plays a bit like Mohr from GWS- good closing speed and a bit of an old school style play behind defender.

It will be an interesting season we could be slightly better structurally and actually go backwards on the wins. Melbourne and GWS are both going to be better and the Dogs are a year ahead of us. We will probably be in the bottom four regardless but it will be interesting what we show.

I can see us coming good towards the end of 2014 as our kids and new recruits bond and gain experience.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

We now have 3 years to win a flag... as we won't be part of the AFL by 2017.

Can we do it.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone have the email addy for Chris Pelchen and/or Ahmet Bains? I would like to write to both of them, congratulating them on their achievement this Trade Period and commending them on their foresight. What they told the Platinum Members they would do back in August is exactly what they did !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SinCitySainter
Club Player

dragit wrote:We now have 3 years to win a flag... as we won't be part of the AFL by 2017.

Can we do it.
On what do you base that?
Certainly not on any kind of logic.
The AFL need us to survive, they don't need us to be successful, but we will survive.

Oh, and I was disappointed in the trading of Macca and Dal as I feel it leaves a hole in the club.
However, I have to say it looks like Pelch and Bains have done well.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:
dragit wrote:We now have 3 years to win a flag... as we won't be part of the AFL by 2017.

Can we do it.
The AFL need us to survive, they don't need us to be successful, but we will survive.

Its is based aon a poster here who has much more knowledge that the rest of us on here. i believe he will be right. He usually is.

karnaby
Club Player

SinCitySainter wrote:

Can we do it.
Extracting the urine I think

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
Richter
SS Life Member

The OtherThommo wrote:But, we did keep Fisher to buttress Bruce's and Delaney's transitions against the development (Bruce) and capability (Delaney) doubts.

And allows Stanley to cement a spot at the only position that he's really suited for - 2nd ruck/3rd tall forward.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Does anyone have the email addy for Chris Pelchen and/or Ahmet Bains? I would like to write to both of them, congratulating them on their achievement this Trade Period and commending them on their foresight. What they told the Platinum Members they would do back in August is exactly what they did !!

Via " reception@saints.com.au
Subject : Attention to ...........

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ameet is on twitter...

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Does anyone have the email addy for Chris Pelchen and/or Ahmet Bains? I would like to write to both of them, congratulating them on their achievement this Trade Period and commending them on their foresight. What they told the Platinum Members they would do back in August is exactly what they did !!
Send them an E-beer from me!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think Pelchen is already banking on/factoring a bottom 4 finish so he can attack the draft and go for a tall KPP with a high pick.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think Pelchen is already banking on/factoring a bottom 4 finish so he can attack the draft and go for a tall KPP with a high pick.

We will finsh bottom 3 for sure. With what we have lost and picked up we cant improve next season but can improve quicker eventually. I would actually think we may finish bottom next year which will hopefully make us improve even quicker again.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, very good effort. Wasn't happy with the McEvoy trade initially, but the Longer trade was a great coup. We couldn't have done any better with what we had and what we needed, so excellent stuff from Pelchen et al.

Nee!