Harvey Versus Buckley & Hird (coaching experience)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Harvey Versus Buckley & Hird (coaching experience)

Buckley - played under 3 coaches and was an assistant at 1 club, the one he played for.

Hird - played under 1 coach, no coaching experience

Harvey - played under 7 coaches and has been assistant at 3 clubs, one his own club under RL, who is considered by many as the best current coach.

He is arguably our greatest player ever, why do most not rate him? As a coach that is?

IMO he's the right fit for us right now.

He would command respect from everyone on the list, he's more experienced than a few current coaches before they were given the top job.

He'd bring back members.

Give him the job.

ghostofross

Re: Harvey Versus Buckley & Hird (coaching experience)

er, nah

Leo.J
SS Life Member

ghostofross wrote:er, nah
Fair enough..

Nice debut post.

slider
Club Player

I am one who would welcome Roberts appointment, hes the best available imho.

I will also except Choco, hes got alot of upside
Last edited by slider on Fri 08 Nov 2013 8:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:Buckley - played under 3 coaches and was an assistant at 1 club, the one he played for.

Hird - played under 1 coach, no coaching experience

Harvey - played under 7 coaches and has been assistant at 3 clubs, one his own club under RL, who is considered by many as the best current coach.

He is arguably our greatest player ever, why do most not rate him? As a coach that is?

IMO he's the right fit for us right now.

He would command respect from everyone on the list, he's more experienced than a few current coaches before they were given the top job.

He'd bring back members.

Give him the job.

why not.... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint-stu
Club Player

I have no idea really, it's just an impression. But he didn't come across as a great communicator to me.

Wasn't he sometimes described as quiet?

1ac46a38
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Can"t believe how paranoid some people are about giving the great man a chance ,other clubs embrace their champions!

PADDLEPOP1000
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Hasn't got enough mongrel in him!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saint-stu
Club Player

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:Can"t believe how paranoid some people are about giving the great man a chance ,other clubs embrace their champions!
Who says great players make great coaches?

How did it work out for voss?

1ac46a38
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Every AFL coach is a figjam, especially the two examples given here. Their clubs love them as they are the spokesperson that sells a dream to both the players and the supporters.
They talk the talk when times are tough and get people wanting to go to the next game after a bad loss.

We all love banger but he's no figjam, he's too humble, his moto is actions not words, so can't see him being effective in the number one job.

Before Im 85
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:Hasn't got enough mongrel in him!
I'm not sure if he's our next coach, but surely this isn't the case?

I'm pretty sure he was one of the best sledgers in the business? Looked like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth, but gave well more than he got ...

Always loyal
lefty
Club Player

I'd be happy with Rob tbh :)
Its either now, or our next coach after this tbh.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Happy with Williams but will not be happy if Harvey ends up never getting the chance to coach us.
If he'd played for a bigger, more successful club they would have appointed him instead of Watters - which we could've and should've and would've avoided this mess. But instead the small, least successful club gets cold feet? perhaps right there is why we are unsuccessful and the Essendons and Collingwoods have the success and the fans and hence the money.
Harvey's done everything right in his career chasing his dream to coach us. I hope we don't fail yet again by thinking small and acting small.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
RememberJDaniels

Interesting suggestion.

On the one hand, with the club in the state it currently is, a legend of the club and one of our greatest ever players coming back to become senior coach would be the ultimate move from a marketing perspective. It would unify the fans once again and there would be increased membership numbers no doubt. There would be a real 'buzz' around the place. Harvey strikes me as the type of coach that you'd really want to play for...and that shouldn't go underestimated when talking improvement within.

On the other hand, employing a club legend as coach is seen to be playing with fire. When it works out for the absolute best, it's one of footy's great romance stories. But when it doesn't work out, like the vast majority of these cases don't, it has the potential to get very, very ugly.

saint-stu
Club Player

Surely we want the best person for the job.

1ac46a38
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We certainly do want the best person for the job, and in my opinion it is Robert Harvey. I dont know any player who has given more for the club than Harvs. Remember when he jumped off his kitchen chair to snap the tendon so he could get back to playing earlier?
Jeansy was also known as a quiet man. You dont have to be an extravert to be a good coach.
In recent years probably the most successful coach has been Leigh Matthews. He was a great player.
Grant Thomas is probably the only St.Kilda person since Alan Jeans to coach us. Time for another.

saint-stu
Club Player

What I'm saying is I don't think "St Kilda person" should come in to the decision. If he is the best candidate, then great. Such a critical role needs to be chosen carefully.

1ac46a38
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Get the BEST person for the job;

If it's Harvs, GET HIM

If it's Choco, GET HIM

Just GET THE BEST PERSON FOR THE JOB !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

no harvey...so it looks like it is choco....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6756061984

"MARK Williams is the raging favourite for St Kilda's senior role, but club legend Robert Harvey will not be the successor to sacked coach Scott Watters.

St Kilda has interviewed a handful of candidates this week and expects to start second-round interviews as early as Monday.

But while Harvey was raised as a contender last week, it is understood he has not been contacted by the St Kilda coaching selection panel.

He has an expanded role as a senior assistant at Collingwood and is happy at the Westpac Centre.

The dual Brownlow medallist is aware he still needs to grow in his role and will be handed considerable responsibilities by Nathan Buckley over the coming pre-season."

slider
Club Player

stinger wrote:no harvey...so it looks like it is choco....

"MARK Williams is the raging favourite for St Kilda's senior role, but club legend Robert Harvey will not be the successor to sacked coach Scott Watters.

St Kilda has interviewed a handful of candidates this week and expects to start second-round interviews as early as Monday.

But while Harvey was raised as a contender last week, it is understood he has not been contacted by the St Kilda coaching selection panel.

He has an expanded role as a senior assistant at Collingwood and is happy at the Westpac Centre.

The dual Brownlow medallist is aware he still needs to grow in his role and will be handed considerable responsibilities by Nathan Buckley over the coming pre-season."

The question needs to be asked, how would these journos know who the heck we've been interviewing seeing as we havent been doing it at the club? i dont believe anything these papers have to say, its all guess work.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:no harvey...so it looks like it is choco....

Sounds like Collingwood spin.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

borderbarry wrote:Grant Thomas is probably the only St.Kilda person since Alan Jeans to coach us. Time for another.
You missed a couple Barry...

Ross Smith, Graham Gellie, some 'Doc' guy (was is it Spa-che-man, or am I thinking of someone else?), Alan Davis (fill-in role)... and if you want to get really technical... Robert Harvey (off-season fill-in role). Anyone else?

That said, I agree. I'd love a Saints man (or woman) c/f a career coach.

When (and hopefully if) Harves' is ready for the senior role... get him in, IMHO.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Grant Thomas is probably the only St.Kilda person since Alan Jeans to coach us. Time for another.

Ross Smith, Graham Gellie, some 'Doc' guy (was is it Spa-che-man, or am I thinking of someone else?), Alan Davis (fill-in role)... and if you want to get really technical... Robert Harvey (off-season fill-in role). Anyone else?

When (and hopefully if) Harves' is ready for the senior role... get him in, IMHO.
well kenny sheldon at least donned a saints jumper.(53 times actually)..as did our last captain coach, jezza....

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

saint-stu wrote:
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:Can"t believe how paranoid some people are about giving the great man a chance ,other clubs embrace their champions!
Who says great players make great coaches?

How did it work out for voss?
Not saying that whatsoever ,but I believe he deserves a fair hearing and we are not going to give him one,a lot of crap about having mongrel etc ,the bloke played 380 odd games and outplayed any crap that came his way , who says Williams will improve us?Harvey is a perfect fit for us now and we just can" t accept it !More "s the pity !

PADDLEPOP1000
Rosco
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:

yeah, was gonna mention the doc. kenny sheldon played for us too, but more for carlton not sure if he hits the 'st kilda person' definition.

wouldn't mind harvs, but don't want to see him sacked in 2 or 3 years and become st kilda's bartlett...