GWS might take Billings at 2

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

GWS might take Billings at 2

Just got a sneaky feeling....they need some x-factor, game winner types and have plenty of athletic mids....

Nee!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: GWS might take Billings at 2

fugazi wrote:Just got a sneaky feeling....they need some x-factor, game winner types and have plenty of athletic mids....

Im pretty sure they habe Boyd and Kelly locked in. And IMO no side ever has enough mids the way footy is played these days. We certainly dont have near enough mids and as much as we say our forward line and backline looks better for next season our midfield looks worse with Dal gone even with some improvement from the younger kids.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
fugazi wrote:Just got a sneaky feeling....they need some x-factor, game winner types and have plenty of athletic mids....

Im pretty sure they habe Boyd and Kelly locked in. And IMO no side ever has enough mids the way footy is played these days. We certainly dont have near enough mids and as much as we say our forward line and backline looks better for next season our midfield looks worse with Dal gone even with some improvement from the younger kids.
I would be in shock if they pass up on Kelly, I doubt we'd need to discuss our pick for long if they did though.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I heard Kelly being interviewed on 3AW last night. He seemed to think that he was off to GWS (with a bit of "Leading" from Gerard Healey) !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The shock would be if they took Billings AND Kelly and let Boyd slide to 3.

If that happened we'd just have to take the big fella, even though our urgent requirements is mids.

Not likely to happen though.

Megamaguire
Club Player

GWS likely to stay with Kelly

I'd be surprised if they steered away from Kelly. Billings could be very similar to Kelly in preparedness; professionalism and inner focus from what i've heard but Kelly may well be very popular up north for his mental focus as well as his tank and run. Kelly could be that extra bit of character (in their minds) that they feel they really need to grow their new club.

It'll be white knuckle behaviour on the arms of the arm-chair till Thursday night.

GO S A I N T S!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

They're going to take Boyd and Kelly.

It's up to us if we take Billings, which I certainly hope we do.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

no chance boyd go's anything but first pick ..... i think Kelly is also a lock for pick 2 ... every "expert" has put it this way so therefor i get the feel GWS are not exactly keeping it a secret to those in the media.. our pick 3 seems to change from day to day and from media person to media person ... gives the impression that the club are not giving anything away on who we are going to pick ... to me i really like the sounds of Billings but at the same time i also like Aish ... kids like Kolodjashnij Scharenberg and Bontempelli i have some reservation about just from what i have read up on them dont get me wrong i think they could all become stars but there is an air of bigger risk attached to them ... the draft is funny in that way we could get the next Judd or the next Fiora or xEllis ....

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
karnaby
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote: <snip> ... the draft is funny in that way we could get the next Judd or the next Fiora or xEllis ....
If that happens to us I would be thinking of words other than 'funny' to describe it.

There is going to be an enormous amount of supporter faith invested in the three kids we pick up, especially in the one we get at #3. I wish them all the best of luck.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

just read some of the chat with boyd and billings on the Age website ... Billings sounds like a bit of a cheeky lad but both seem to already have that knck of being able to present well in front of a crowd as such ....

something about billings cant put my finger on it but i reckon he could be something special .... really hoping we pick him with #3

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

Gershwin
Club Player

From what I have read Boyd and Kelly are 'locked in' for GWS.

I will be really interested in how long it will take for us to say our no.3 pick. We have had weeks to consider it so would expect them to spit it out straight away.

No. 18 and 19 different situation. Will probably need all the time we have. Wish I had Foxtel to watch the selection dynamics on the St Kilda table.

summertime and the living is easy ........
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:From what I have read Boyd and Kelly are 'locked in' for GWS.

I will be really interested in how long it will take for us to say our no.3 pick. We have had weeks to consider it so would expect them to spit it out straight away.

No. 18 and 19 different situation. Will probably need all the time we have. Wish I had Foxtel to watch the selection dynamics on the St Kilda table.

I would say all 3 picks will be very quick. The club would have an order they think players may go. The later picks take the longest because some players are overlooked.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The Top Ten gets done offscreen then announced in reverse order and introduced I believe.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:The Top Ten gets done offscreen then announced in reverse order and introduced I believe.
i hate that ..... its a manufactured suspence but the truth is we all know who is going number 1 so why bother with it ... should just go back to the way it was with the first pick geting called first and so on ....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
CURLY wrote:The Top Ten gets done offscreen then announced in reverse order and introduced I believe.
i hate that ..... its a manufactured suspence but the truth is we all know who is going number 1 so why bother with it ... should just go back to the way it was with the first pick geting called first and so on ....

It changed back to that last season. One was announced first and then the rest followed.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

It changed back to that last season. One was announced first and then the rest followed.

On TV or just on SEN?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
hate that ..... its a manufactured suspence but the truth is we all know who is going number 1 so why bother with it ... should just go back to the way it was with the first pick geting called first and so on ....

On TV or just on SEN?

On TV. No idea about SEN but I doubt they would do it any different.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

to be honest i dont remember paying too much attention to the first round last year ... (considering we had no involvment)

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I've got the feeling that we'll take Scharenberg at pick 2.

There'll be a supporter meltdown if that happens but I hope supporters realise that this kid will be a star. He's not just a half back, he can play anywhere & do it to an elite standard.

Whether it's Billings or Scharenberg, we all should be very very excited.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

I reckon you are spot on P66. Now that weve added a bit of height and strength to the backline with Bruce and Delaney, the real glaring weakness is in the midfield, which has to be the next priority. Hopefully this years draft will go someway to fixing that. With a bit of luck one or more of Ross, Webster, Newnes, Curren, or Wright will be able to surprise us and really announce themselves to the competition this year as a future gun mid.

This years draft probably the most important to us since the drafts of the early 2000's as it will determine how long we bounce along the bottom

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Beekay
SS Life Member

I'd like to hear the odd experts opinion on where they'd think Scharenberg would have gone in previous drafts.

After being well and truly aboard the Billy express, and being 100% of the belief we should be recruiting intelligent match-winners first and foremost, I'm starting to get a little tiny iny ill feeling.

Scharenberg looks like a supreme specimen with a footballing brain and elite skills...

I'll be f'kn spewing if he slips through to Collingwood!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:I'd like to hear the odd experts opinion on where they'd think Scharenberg would have gone in previous drafts.

After being well and truly aboard the Billy express, and being 100% of the belief we should be recruiting intelligent match-winners first and foremost, I'm starting to get a little tiny iny ill feeling.

Scharenberg looks like a supreme specimen with a footballing brain and elite skills...

I'll be f'kn spewing if he slips through to Collingwood!

I reckon he is certain to get to the pies.

Beekay
SS Life Member

a lil bile just came up

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:I've got the feeling that we'll take Scharenberg at pick 2.

There'll be a supporter meltdown if that happens but I hope supporters realise that this kid will be a star. He's not just a half back, he can play anywhere & do it to an elite standard.

Whether it's Billings or Scharenberg, we all should be very very excited.
Impossible, we don't have pick 2

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
kalsaint
Club Player

I thought the same thing during the afternoon too and wondered how the club might respond.

If the Cripps option is risky at a later pick I would move on Scharenberg for pick 3 as a midfielder. If the Cripps options is lower risk perhaps Kolojashnij (spelling may be wrong here) at pick 3 with picks 18 and 19 being Zak Jones and Luke Dunstan/Zack Merrett.

I cant see why we wouldn't make the mistake on leaving out Zak when he has the same attributes as his brother at Melbourne (hard inside mid plus leadership qualities).

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency