2/3 Wins & still no one rates us!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

2/3 Wins & still no one rates us!

It seems that the footballing world still has no respect for the Saints. They all tip Adelaide to win this weekend regardless of our form! Hopefully after we smash Adelaide on Sunday they will finally realise that the Saints are a completly different outfit under Richardson than they were
under Watters...

Bring it on Sainters!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2/3 Wins & still no one rates us!

I doubt very much that we will smash them as Adelaide will be desperate to win this game. It's hard to come back from a 4 zip start.

Coming back from Perth is always hard and I hope we start well.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

A lazy 60 point win should get us some respect

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

When we beat someone who finished above us on the ladder last year (like Adelaide) then the team will grow in confidence. What outsiders or tipsters think is irrelevant. We should beat Adelaide, but one thing that we know about Saints Footy Mark 2 is that there are never going to be blow outs (either way), rather like much of Saints Footy Mark 1. So, we will just have to manage our anxiety all the way to the last few minutes of the final quarter. Allan Jeans used to say that the only time he relaxed as a coach was when the team was in front by more goals than there were minutes to play. I must admit, I would be fairly confident if we were ten up with 12 minutes to play, but you can see his point, and I am much the same at the footy.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's up to the players "to stick it up em" - that is, the media. I think they can. Let's hope they do!

chook23
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:It seems that the footballing world still has no respect for the Saints. They all tip Adelaide to win this weekend regardless of our form! Hopefully after we smash Adelaide on Sunday they will finally realise that the Saints are a completly different outfit under Richardson than they were
under Watters...

Bring it on Sainters!
age tipping

saints 15 Crows 9

You mention all the footballing world............they all tipped Adelaide........

saint4life
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

chook23 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:It seems that the footballing world still has no respect for the Saints. They all tip Adelaide to win this weekend regardless of our form! Hopefully after we smash Adelaide on Sunday they will finally realise that the Saints are a completly different outfit under Richardson than they were
under Watters...

Bring it on Sainters!
age tipping

saints 15 Crows 9

Didnt Rohan Connolly article come from the age - so it seems they have a better undertsanding of where we are at.. I dont get the age or have access online but is a more reasonable assessment.

You mention all the footballing world............they all tipped Adelaide........

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

2/3 wins and I don't rate us. Not yet anyway.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I understand the emotion that the "us against the world" or "stick it up em" mentality elicits, however speaking personally I feel these types of emotions would be misplaced in the lead up to this weeks game. I think the external perception of where we are at has not changed, nor should it and that the performance in our first three games has been well and truly place in the "context" category by the more experienced pundits. This is by no means me being negative, but rather me just trying to keep a handle on where we are at and the long road ahead. I have enjoyed the wins none the less.

I still want to see high draft picks at the end of this year, if we don't get them it will set the club back years.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I understand the emotion that the "us against the world" or "stick it up em" mentality elicits, however speaking personally I feel these types of emotions would be misplaced in the lead up to this weeks game. I think the external perception of where we are at has not changed, nor should it and that the performance in our first three games has been well and truly place in the "context" category by the more experienced pundits. This is by no means me being negative, but rather me just trying to keep a handle on where we are at and the long road ahead. I have enjoyed the wins none the less.

I still want to see high draft picks at the end of this year, if we don't get them it will set the club back years.

Well i would love early draft picks at the end of the year but every single game I want us to win and we happen to win 15 games this year then i couldnt give a stuff about early draft picks. Obviously we wont do that and I think if we lose Sunday we may only win 4 to 6 games but my point is winning is the greatest thing that can happen every week.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Yeah good point plug.

While,I don't give a toss about most other games or the afls general running of things - I won't even go into my loathing for the cheats - the excitement of a new dawn for the Saints has been uplifting for me and the rest of us.

I had been thinking about if we won too many games the picks may be lesser but the invaluable bonding and confidence these young guys are getting by winning and being very competitive is just as rewarding.

philtee
Club Player

Difficult to get a grip on where this game will end up.
Won't be a blowout against the Saints.
Expecting it to be up for grabs 10 minutes into last qtr.
Odds have drifted closer, maybe after Rohan's article in the Age yesterday.
Saints now at 2.20 vs Crows 1.70.
Adelaide were pretty good in their Round One loss to the Cats but they were
blitzed by Port and Sydney in the last two weeks.
AFL Match report from Round one -
"Adelaide was brave but buckled under the Cats' tackling pressure in the last quarter. Geelong also
ramped up its rotations to turn what looked to be shaping up as a bob of the head finish into a runaway win."

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:I understand the emotion that the "us against the world" or "stick it up em" mentality elicits, however speaking personally I feel these types of emotions would be misplaced in the lead up to this weeks game. I think the external perception of where we are at has not changed, nor should it and that the performance in our first three games has been well and truly place in the "context" category by the more experienced pundits. This is by no means me being negative, but rather me just trying to keep a handle on where we are at and the long road ahead. I have enjoyed the wins none the less.

Well i would love early draft picks at the end of the year but every single game I want us to win and we happen to win 15 games this year then i couldnt give a stuff about early draft picks. Obviously we wont do that and I think if we lose Sunday we may only win 4 to 6 games but my point is winning is the greatest thing that can happen every week.
You have some strange views. Winning every week...what world do you live in.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Well i would love early draft picks at the end of the year but every single game I want us to win and we happen to win 15 games this year then i couldnt give a stuff about early draft picks.
Yep, agree, it's all about winning

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I think we'll get up against Adelaide. I was very impressed with the effort we brought against West Coast. The pulse seems strong with these young Saints...with a guiding hand by some mature heads. I like what I've seen so far.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Did you actually bother to read all I wrote or just the first bit. Hopefully only the first bit because there is no other reason you could make that statement.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Well i would love early draft picks at the end of the year but every single game I want us to win and we happen to win 15 games this year then i couldnt give a stuff about early draft picks.
Yep, agree, it's all about winning
Totally agree , but I think our progress (win/loss) will be carefully monitored and plotted by the coaches and Pelchen. (I just hate losing to Adelaide anytime!)

Cook23 I don't get the age or access their site but at least they seem to have displayed shown semblance of understanding our improvement !

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

would love to see us smash them !
But with no potentency up forward , i doubt this can happen .
the crows will be desperate to stop roo as he is our only avenue to goal , lets hope lee can come in and kick a bag .

In red white and black from 73
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Did you actually bother to read all I wrote or just the first bit. Hopefully only the first bit because there is no other reason you could make that statement.
Settle Pluggs. It was meant to be a cross between humor and sarcasm...as you say...read it again but this time without the anger. FWIW I agree with you...winning is the greatest thing...the beauty of us having a team that is not capable of that means the consolation prize is a high draft pick...a win-win...if you have the stomach for it.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Bloody hell. We win two games against two bottom four teams and suddenly we're expected to defeat a side that finished the 2012 season in the top two?

Spare me. If we win, wonderful. I'd rather four quarters of really solid, tough contested footy, where all our kids give it a red-hot crack and go hard until they drop.

Some of us are losing perspective of where we're at as a footy club. It's that same loss of perspective which has sent Carlton to the wall.

Let's be clear about our objectives. By all means, get fired up, be optimistic, but unrealistic expectations are quick bridge to failure.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i dont rate the cows at all ... they made top 4 in 2012 based on the softest draw in AFL history the following year with a more chalanging draw they were shown up to be the "also rans" that they have been for the last decade ...

the cows will prob beat us .. in fact we are the type of team that that bunch of flat track bullies will possibly thump and then proclaim that they are back ... we are in rebuild our performances so far have been good......decent......competitive with a young side you cant really ask for more than that from the team but with young teams youwill get the fade out coming as the boys start to get sore and tired ... the first to games we were playing against our peers and we won... the third game we came up against the bigger boys and we played well and stuck with them and for more than half the game gave them a fright ... this week coming off our first real hit out against the bigger boys i reckon our guys might be forgiven for being a bit sore .. the Cows are like WCE the bigger boys but they havent been performing.. WCE softened us up for the cows ..we will give our all but i think we will come up short ... and i think that trend will continue against our peers (GWS Melb WB Bris and to an extent GC) we will be a strong chance to win... against the bigger boys (WC Adl Port Rich Carl North and Collingwood) we will hopefully put up a real strong fight and be within striking distance of a win .. against the big big boys (Haw Freo Gee Ess Syd ) hopefully we dont get smashed by too much

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
stinger
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i dont rate the cows at all ... they made top 4 in 2012 based on the softest draw in AFL history the following year with a more chalanging draw they were shown up to be the "also rans" that they have been for the last decade ...

i think losing tex and tippet for 2013 had something to do with that.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:Bloody hell. We win two games against two bottom four teams and suddenly we're expected to defeat a side that finished the 2012 season in the top two?

Spare me. If we win, wonderful. I'd rather four quarters of really solid, tough contested footy, where all our kids give it a red-hot crack and go hard until they drop.

Some of us are losing perspective of where we're at as a footy club. It's that same loss of perspective which has sent Carlton to the wall.

Let's be clear about our objectives. By all means, get fired up, be optimistic, but unrealistic expectations are quick bridge to failure.
Time will tell I guess?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Well said Everton...

We've just got over Melbourne & GWS, the worst 2 sides in recent times. Without vintage-form Reiwoldt we would be 0 - 3

2 - 1 means very little at this stage, the main thing at the moment is our effort in the contest.

Be great to beat the crows, but we are underdogs for a reason... We still have one of the worst lists getting around.

I reckon SS is a bit bi-polar, we are either going to win no games or be top 4

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Well, I reckon our list isn't too bad and our teamwork is vastly improved on last year , and I think the importance of teamwork vis-a-vis average player quality n the AFL is on the rise as coaches seem to be developing better and better blocking/crowding tactics (Essendon and the Pies have both impressed me in this respect so far this year).

Adelaide has to be favourites, but we're in with a chance on form. How we recover from Perth is crucial.

As for finishing near the bottom and having better draft picks: I reckon that part of the table is going to be more crowded than ever this season! Let's try a different strategy - at least for the next 10 or so games - of trying to play as well as we can and get some confidence back into the players.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift