Long kicking - Gwilt and Webster

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Long kicking - Gwilt and Webster

Sometimes '1 kick' on the stat sheet doesn't really tell you the story.

The bombers were sitting 30-40 metres behind the contest waiting for us to make a s*** rushed kick out of their fwd line - which we did repeatedly in the first qr - reinforcing their game plan.

But once we got some composure and run from the back line they simply couldn't adjust.
Ray and Newnes provided much of the run.

But to me the real beauty was Gwilt and Webster when they were able to offload 50-55 metre passes. The Bummers totally weren't ready for that. They were all 30-40m away - and our guys knew Gwilt and Webster could kick and just got loose and long and Gwilt and Webster just unloaded straight over the Bummers heads into the clear.
They held on to their plan all night hoping wed go back to the first qr style of play from defence. It never happened.
Man i enjoyed that tonight.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Long kicking - Gwilt and Webster

Gwilt had an absolute blinder tonight his best game for a while too. Not just his long kicking but just general play was excellent as was the Webster.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I would add Jack Newnes into that as well. His 45-55 metre kicks up the line and cross field were marvellous.

Allowed us to switch often.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Gwilt had an absolute blinder tonight his best game for a while too. Not just his long kicking but just general play was excellent as was the Webster.
Agree with that
Its also why Birchall and Hodge do so much damage for the Hawks. They an go over the wall and find their players in the clear.
Stanley was smart enough to get on the end of several of these long bombs too. They were all well directed passes - not just random long bombs.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
gringo wrote:Gwilt had an absolute blinder tonight his best game for a while too. Not just his long kicking but just general play was excellent as was the Webster.
Agree with that
Its also why Birchall and Hodge do so much damage for the Hawks. They an go over the wall and find their players in the clear.
Stanley was smart enough to get on the end of several of these long bombs too. They were all well directed passes - not just random long bombs.

I thought a lack of running backs might hurt us but we just bypassed that step.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt improved as the game went on but early in the game he was making few clangers, good on him for turning it around..

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:I would add Jack Newnes into that as well. His 45-55 metre kicks up the line and cross field were marvellous.

Glad Newnes gets a mention here. Some of the things he does with the ball in hand make him look like he's played 200 games, rather than 30 - odd. Really growing into one of those 70m players, guys who run 20 and kick 50.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:
joffaboy wrote:I would add Jack Newnes into that as well. His 45-55 metre kicks up the line and cross field were marvellous.

Glad Newnes gets a mention here. Some of the things he does with the ball in hand make him look like he's played 200 games, rather than 30 - odd. Really growing into one of those 70m players, guys who run 20 and kick 50.
Agree - Very impressive tonight. Cant remember him making a mistake.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Very composed young player love what he is becoming ,leadership group is bekoning!

PADDLEPOP1000
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Strewth the skills of these guys are incredible. 50m+ pin-point passes.

I really thought we carved Essendon up with our passing, and really should have won by 40+ points.
It doesn't matter..... A win is a win!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's a love fest and doesn't it feel good, compared to last week :lol: :lol:

Rosco
Club Player

Agree on newnes, he was solid. Don't remember an error from him either.

PJ
SS Life Member

Refreshing sentiments on Jimmy after the bagging he copped in recent weeks.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Refreshing sentiments on Jimmy after the bagging he copped in recent weeks.
recent weeks ?? check out Saintbobs post
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85326&start=125

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Both Jimmy's are a lot better when they are not playing on blokes 10cm taller than them. Hopefully, Josh Bruce and Luke Delaney can maintain the role they played last night. if Sam can come back as well, the back line might become our number 1 strength, and that's how flags are won.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:

I reckon you are so spot on. I rember seeing Newnes in one of his first few games do some really composed things with the ball in hand and negating heavy traffic. I remember from that thinking this kid is will be a player.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Both Jimmy's are a lot better when they are not playing on blokes 10cm taller than them. Hopefully, Josh Bruce and Luke Delaney can maintain the role they played last night. if Sam can come back as well, the back line might become our number 1 strength, and that's how flags are won.
We are building up a good structure...

We now have most bases covered... Though more class is always good.
Main thing is we need a young forward to become a very good key forward.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
perfectionist wrote:Both Jimmy's are a lot better when they are not playing on blokes 10cm taller than them. Hopefully, Josh Bruce and Luke Delaney can maintain the role they played last night. if Sam can come back as well, the back line might become our number 1 strength, and that's how flags are won.
We are building up a good structure...

We now have most bases covered... Though more class is always good.
Main thing is we need a young forward to become a very good key forward.

It really makes you wonder about our structure last year. As most of if not all of us not being involved in AFL footy its hard to really get a handle on good or ordinary structures. Just looking at our player group this year there hasnt been huge improvement but due to what seems very good footy structures and our side as a group seems to have really improved. No wonder, as the rumours were, many players were pissed off last year. They probably would understand a good or poor structure.