No 1 pick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Hallalj#3
Club Player

No 1 pick

I saw Brett Anderson phantom draft today. Doesn't sound like there is a standout Key forward I would hope that we go for the best Midfielder, moving forward I think this will give us the best chance to improve as quickly as possible. Stock up on quality Mids.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: No 1 pick

Tend to agree.
Get the best big mid then an outside skilled pacy mid.
Go for both brett eddy and john Butcher as late picks trades or rookies.
Then look for Burton or Dodge in the 2015 draft.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely crazy if we just don't go for the best possible player available and would be very, very surprised if that is not how pick number one is used by the club. Better aim for 2030 if they do anything else.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Absolutely crazy if we just don't go for the best possible player available and would be very, very surprised if that is not how pick number one is used by the club. Better aim for 2030 if they do anything else.

We will pick the best player unless its Wright. Dont think we will possibly take another ruckman type. Still think we may trade the pick though.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

the saints will pick mccartin....crazy not too...best marking key forward to come along in years....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Just because there isn't a standout pick doesn't mean the talls arnt better than the rest of the pack. I'm hoping for wright!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:the saints will pick mccartin....crazy not too...best marking key forward to come along in years....

Years?

Better than Boyd, Patton and Hogan?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:the saints will pick mccartin....crazy not too...best marking key forward to come along in years....

I havent read that in to many places. Most have said its a pretty even draft. And I thought Boyd and Patton were standouts because of their marking. Id probably pick him if we cant trade the pick which due to the draft maybe struggling may make it hard to trade.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Absolutely crazy if we just don't go for the best possible player available and would be very, very surprised if that is not how pick number one is used by the club. Better aim for 2030 if they do anything else.

We will pick the best player unless its Wright. Dont think we will possibly take another ruckman type. Still think we may trade the pick though.
With GWS?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

With GWS?

Sorry should have said we may try and trade the pick. Im doubting many clubs will want it unless a player is going to leave no matter what. We cant all say the draft is a bit weak and then hope we only know that and other clubs are just plain dumb. Only hope is a player will leave a club what ever happens but then my question would be why would they pick our club. Money would be the only reason and not every footballer leaves because of money. Matter of fact most dont.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

mccartin FF, white CHF.

Mccartin will be our plugger #2

that said the footage i have seen of petracca make him look to be an awesome prospect.

#1 Ryder fan
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Years?

maybe not a better footballer...but i hear that he is a better mark,,,,,,well in the opinion of some he is......personally i don't know....having only watched him on tv....

but hey....brad johnson says he's the best pack mark he has seen in years......i will happily go along with that.....until someone can prove otherwise.... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :evil:
Last edited by stinger on Wed 09 Jul 2014 2:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I have a mate who's been watching the under 18s and he can't see anything in McCartin that makes him standout from others around him. At 192cm, he's not tall by todays standards. I hope he's not another Tom Lynch

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

With GWS?

Sorry should have said we may try and trade the pick. Im doubting many clubs will want it unless a player is going to leave no matter what. We cant all say the draft is a bit weak and then hope we only know that and other clubs are just plain dumb. Only hope is a player will leave a club what ever happens but then my question would be why would they pick our club. Money would be the only reason and not every footballer leaves because of money. Matter of fact most dont.
It's why poor clubs like ours can only build a premiership team through the draft IMO. We need the next 2 or 3 number one draft picks. Get a bit of talent like that on the list and then players from other clubs might want to pick our club.

We have a proven track record of building an (almost) premiership team from the draft. It's the long way but it is still a way and a higher percentage route IMO.

Liam_G
Club Player

My thoughts mixed with early whispers: GWS keen on Petracca. Saints trade Pick No.1 for Boyd, with likely sweetener required from Saints. GWS then free to get Petracca.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Liam_G wrote:My thoughts mixed with early whispers: GWS keen on Petracca. Saints trade Pick No.1 for Boyd, with likely sweetener required from Saints. GWS then free to get Petracca.

Or they just draft Petracca and keep Boyd.

Beekay
SS Life Member

Build a team of intelligent, nifty, goal-kicking forward/mids.

If there is a stand out talent, no matter his position, obviously bank it. And you're always going to need grunt players.

But for example, if you had to choose between an 18 year old Tom Hawkins (or, say, Roughead) or Paul Chapman, who would you take?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Liam_G wrote:My thoughts mixed with early whispers: GWS keen on Petracca. Saints trade Pick No.1 for Boyd, with likely sweetener required from Saints. GWS then free to get Petracca.

boyd's not setting the world on fire.......yet anyway.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:Build a team of intelligent, nifty, goal-kicking forward/mids.

If there is a stand out talent, no matter his position, obviously bank it. And you're always going to need grunt players.

But for example, if you had to choose between an 18 year old Tom Hawkins (or, say, Roughead) or Paul Chapman, who would you take?

roughead any and every day of the week....the tigers overlooked roughead and buddy to their everlasting shame.....we don't need to repeat their mistakes....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Beekay wrote:Build a team of intelligent, nifty, goal-kicking forward/mids.

roughead any and every day of the week....the tigers overlooked roughead and buddy to their everlasting shame.....we don't need to repeat their mistakes....

And melbourne took Watts over Hartlett. I thought you were pissed we took Ben over Rioli. Im not sure how it works. Can you explain.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Years?

maybe not a better footballer...but i hear that he is a better mark,,,,,,well in the opinion of some he is......personally i don't know....having only watched him on tv....

but hey....brad johnson says he's the best pack mark he has seen in years......i will happily go along with that.....until someone can prove otherwise.... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :evil:
Kosi was a s*** hot pack mark.
trouble is there arent that many packs in afl footy these days. Its all too quick and precise.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Exactly...the days of players who are purely pack marks is gone.

Is a big reason why Kosi struggled in his last years...and also why Cloke is struggling this year.

Great if the guy has other football strings to his bow, but downgrade if only a pack mark.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I've heard the same, P66. The pelican has plans for that No.1 pick!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
stinger wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Years?

Kosi was a s*** hot pack mark.
trouble is there arent that many packs in afl footy these days. Its all too quick and precise.
well...lets just leave it at best mark then....something half our current players are no good at.....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:

Tom Hawkins (or, say, Roughead)
I would not bracket those together (pun intended :wink: )

Obviously I have the beneft of hindsight here but:

Hawkins is mainly a big forward that can mark....

Whereas Roughie can do that,
plus like a medium forward kicking good snap goals etc
plus play as second ruck..or even first ruck
plus even play like a tall mid to some extent.

Roughie is way, way WAY more valuable that Hawkins.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....