Number 1 pick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Number 1 pick

Looks like we have the #1 pick in a year when nobody wants it!!

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/st- ... 7013360739

Can't be that bad can it?!

Also why are we being so open with our plans / indecision..??

#1 Ryder fan
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Number 1 pick

MC Gusto wrote:Looks like we have the #1 pick in a year when nobody wants it!!

So clubs that think there is a standout number one know we will trade. Could also be bulls*** to see if any club will pay overs. Its way to early anyway because we could most likely win our last game if Adelaide cant make the finals and then GWS or melbourne will get it.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Only a complete idiot would even think about trading the number 1 pick. I can only hope that the media reporting is ill informed or designed by the club to confuse the other clubs (as if that would work).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Only a complete idiot would even think about trading the number 1 pick. I can only hope that the media reporting is ill informed or designed by the club to confuse the other clubs (as if that would work).

So you wouldnt trade it for a Fyffe or a Dangerfield or even a Patton? Melbourne traded number 2 last year and did very well IMO. I reckon only an idiot would say you should never trade a number one pick.

Saint wagga
Club Player

I think the club is being a least a little honest in saying it's open to trading away pick 1 for a couple of top 10 picks if a deal can be struck. Pelchen has talked openly about how times have changed in recent years with the expansions teams, free agency compensation etc...even the bottom placed teams will only get 1 pick inside 20 without offloading a quality free agent or being creative with trades and swapping 1 higher for pick for 2 pretty high picks. The pelican has already shown his hand in the Hickey and Lee trades to a lesser extent...

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

This is where having the no. 1 pick brings its own complications. If we pass up McCartin and he turns out to be a gun then we never live it down. But they may not objectively rate him that high because he's not tall enough and think Durdin will be the brilliant Scarlett type defender we need to be the base of our defense for the next ten years. Then they might try to swap picks with GWS and get a gun young mid thrown in. It seemed to work ok for Melbourne but you can get too smart. Interesting times.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
perfectionist wrote:Only a complete idiot would even think about trading the number 1 pick. I can only hope that the media reporting is ill informed or designed by the club to confuse the other clubs (as if that would work).

So you wouldnt trade it for a Fyffe or a Dangerfield or even a Patton? Melbourne traded number 2 last year and did very well IMO. I reckon only an idiot would say you should never trade a number one pick.

Especially when we trade #1 for Cameron and their pick (no 3 or 4) and we get Petracca with it.

(OK Ok, I'm off my meds this morning, I'm also thinking I'll win 40 mill this thursday as well).

You are garbage - Enough said
Ajantis
Club Player

St.kilda are interested in a few forward options which could be available End Of Season.
Swans - Reid
WCE - Darling
And if st.kilda do end up with No 1, they would be interested trading No 1 to GWS for Boyd if he wanted to leave GWS. He has to agree.
Interesting times ahead.
Melbourne last year did a great trade with Dom and 9 for pick 2.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Looks like we have the #1 pick in a year when nobody wants it!!

I stopped reading this article when I read:

"The Saints have been linked to spearhead Paddy McCartin, who has been seen as a successor to captain Nick Riewoldt".

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Lazy journalism. Jake Niall broke the same story in the Saturday Age a couple of weeks ago.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

If it means trading for Jeremy Cameron I would do it without question!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Ajantis wrote:St.kilda are interested in a few forward options which could be available End Of Season.
Swans - Reid
WCE - Darling
And if st.kilda do end up with No 1, they would be interested trading No 1 to GWS for Boyd if he wanted to leave GWS. He has to agree.
Interesting times ahead.
I agree Aj.

Any deals of the Darling Reid type shouldn't involve our number 1 draft pick... I'd be wanting some bloody good steak knives thrown in to give-up Petracca for the likes of either Darling or Reid.
(E-girls... no one there excites me. Swines... maybe Mitchell, a 22y.o. Kennedy fetched from the Tardis, and their salary cap concessions. :twisted: )

And it does look like the club thinks the same way...
Asked if the Saints would take a spearhead or the player they deemed the best, Elshaug said: “It’s not a philosophy that just sits with every draft. We’ll see what the lay of the land is then (because) not everything has been determined yet.

There’s other ways of getting the needs for the club. :twisted: So fundamentally there’s trade period, there’s free agency and you can rookie-draft players or pick players in pre-season, so it’s not just about the national draft.”

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I saw Jeremy Cameron down at Seaford last week, make of that what you will.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:I saw Jeremy Cameron down at Seaford last week, make of that what you will.
I'd like to make a lot of it. ANY FURTHER DETAILS?!?!?! Anyone? Has that bloke from Bigfooty got it right?

Always loyal
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

WinnersOnly wrote:
If it means trading for Jeremy Cameron I would do it without question!
Hi WO, one question that I know you would ask is "when is Jerry out of contract?" (I think it's the end of season 2015?)

If we wait till then (whenever then is), then we can get him through avenues other than just the draft.

If we are interested in pursuing him this trading period, then that little matter of his being iminently outta' contract should (I bloody well hope would! :twisted: ) be used to sweeten the deal... our way.

In other words, IMHO it'd have to be a very favourable deal our way, coz we could tie up Petracca this time, and get hold of Jerry (or one of his power forward mates) next time.

Eating our cake and having it too. :twisted:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:I saw Jeremy Cameron down at Seaford last week, make of that what you will.
Even the coffee in Seaford is better than in Blacktown

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Only a complete idiot would even think about trading the number 1 pick. .
Only a complete idiot would not look at any offer.

If a club is willing to pay overs, or an established superstar wants say to come back to Melbourne anything is possible.

Having said that we most likely would not trade it. But who knows what another club may offer.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Dave I can see what you are portarying, but realistically when a trade is left to the players decision only, how many big name players have we attracted. If we wait until next year I'll lay odds on Cameron ending up at one of the bigger Vic clubs.

This year we have the cherry (pick 1) to get the deal done and GWS have a later first round pick which we might be able to work in. Its now or never for the Saints if the Cameron rumour for true.

I still agree with others views that is elite midfields that win flags not tall forwards, but Cameron is a much better option than all the first round draft selections this year!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think we are using the media to fly a kite and see if we can smoke out any big deals.

I think something like Reid + 18 for pick 1 might have happened if it wasn't for the fact Heeney is out there. This effectively means the Swans only have to use a pick 18 on a top 5 talent anyway - so they wont have to do any deals. Rotten luck for us and more good luck for them.

But who knows what will get smoked out. Maybe nothing. Maybe something.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

As one of our media personal suggested , read the quotes and not the headlines

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Ajantis wrote:St.kilda are interested in a few forward options which could be available End Of Season.
Swans - Reid
WCE - Darling
Interesting times ahead.

Darling? Why would he come to us? We are better chasing realistic changes so Im sorry but I dont believe that. Reid is similar. We would have to use pick one to get him. I wouldnt do that. Still unsure if Boyd can even leave. I thought they changed the rules a while back to say that a player cannot leave a club in his first 2 years of the AFL after I think it was melbourne delisted a player after one year. Agree Melbourne did a fantastic trade with Tyson. That will be the type of trade we may look at. A very good young player plus a top 10 pick.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Darling? Why would he come to us?
I would give them pick 27 for Darling and then skite about it. :D

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Would have to be a homesick young gun + top 10 pick to an interstate club with a top 10 pick you would think.

So that means GWS, Eagles, Lions and Suns.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Darling? Why would he come to us?
I would give them pick 27 for Darling and then skite about it. :D

Is there a photo?

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

I'd be OK to trade our #1 pick (assume we get it) for a couple of top 10 picks. That way we can pick TWO promissing young midfielders.