Trading Rhys to Adelaide

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Trading Rhys to Adelaide

I tend to think no-one would pay much for Rhys Stanley.

That said, Adelaide just cut McKernan and Angus Graham, two big guys who can play ruck/forward. That leaves them with Jacobs as their sole ruckman. He's barely missed a game in four years so I suppose that might be enough for them but it doesn't look like they've got much backup. Can Jenkins can play in the ruck if desperately required? Apart from him Dangerfield and Sloane were next on their hitouts ladder this year.

So I wonder if Stanley might fit into their list? Adelaide currently have something like 9, 29, 48 and 66.

9 is too much. 29 is probably a stretch as well. How about we give them Stanley and 39 and get 29 in exchange?

Or maybe a straight swap for Jarryd Lyons? He's only played 22 games in four years, presumably they don't rate him too highly.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trading Rhys to Adelaide

Keep Rhys, I say. I think he's on the verge of blossoming into the sort of player he can be. Lyons is not enough compensation. In fact I don't see why their is so much interest in him on this site. A GOP without any real weapons. Rhys has far more upside than Lyons. Pick 9 would definitely be too much for the Crows to give up and 29 is not enough for us. I hope all the talk of trading Rhys ceases. We've invested so much in him and I think he's a vital part of our plans going forward.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think he's the only genuine ruck / forward on the list so unless we are definitely drafting wright then I can't see the point in trading Stanley, unless we got overs... Like a pick inside 25.

Lyons could be worth a look, but he wouldn't be as valuable as rhys on the open market.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

White Winmar wrote:Keep Rhys, I say. I think he's on the verge of blossoming into the sort of player he can be. Lyons is not enough compensation. In fact I don't see why their is so much interest in him on this site. A GOP without any real weapons. Rhys has far more upside than Lyons. Pick 9 would definitely be too much for the Crows to give up and 29 is not enough for us. I hope all the talk of trading Rhys ceases. We've invested so much in him and I think he's a vital part of our plans going forward.
Agree wholeheartedly.

Why all the talk for trading him. We've nurtured him and persevered with him, and I believe next season will see him find some consistency which will come with some more responsibility.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I would take a top 20 pick for Rhys. Simple as that,

29 not good enough. Blues got 28 for Hampson ffs.

Rhys has to be worth a top 20 pick. Not negotiable imo. He took 113 marks for the season.

So top 20 pick or we keep him.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Keep Rhys, I say. I think he's on the verge of blossoming into the sort of player he can be. Lyons is not enough compensation. In fact I don't see why their is so much interest in him on this site. A GOP without any real weapons. Rhys has far more upside than Lyons. Pick 9 would definitely be too much for the Crows to give up and 29 is not enough for us. I hope all the talk of trading Rhys ceases. We've invested so much in him and I think he's a vital part of our plans going forward.
Agree wholeheartedly.

Why all the talk for trading him. We've nurtured him and persevered with him, and I believe next season will see him find some consistency which will come with some more responsibility.
I really want to believe with you. But fundamentally I can't get there. Rhys reminds me of Fiora. Different players obviously. But similar in that they play a good game every now and then, have a bunch of raw talent but ultimately don't seem to have the mindset to put it all together consistently.

I really want to be wrong, because a fit Rhys would be a massive piece in this side. And maybe that's enough reason to persist. But ultimately I think it'll be wasted effort.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

too bad
he wont be going anywhere

lol
reminds of fiora
:lol:

cant see it myself

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Plus 1

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Adelaide won't give up pick 9, we won't accept 29. Can't see it happening.

FWIW I think playing Rhys in defence in 2013 probably knocked about 18 months of accumulated confidence out of Rhys. Its going to take 1 more year I reckon before his confidence is back where it should be. So whilst I think he will be better in 2015, it will be 2016 when he actually reaches his maximum potential whatever that looks like.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I wish the go-home' factor had have been stronger with Fiora :D

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ok what happened to the mum comment
LOL

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

The last thing I want to see is Rhyss becoming a star for another team.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Would be very little chance you would get any one better from a pick that late so would be an absolute waste of time. His upside is way higher than his trade value so he's a keeper for mine.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Would be very little chance you would get any one better from a pick that late so would be an absolute waste of time. His upside is way higher than his trade value so he's a keeper for mine.

Agree.
Pick 29 and 39 are basically the same pick. So we would be giving them Stanley for free under the OPs suggested trade. Seems insane.

For me its a top 20 pick or we keep him.

citywest

The only way I would trade Stanley is if we got pick 15 or better. If not he stays because he doesn't need to be a world beater just yet. As long as he keeps developing along and is ready to rock by 2019 then that's fine by me. By then our team should be just about back in finals contention and a 28 year old Stanley with 150 games under his belt will be worth the wait.

Pick 15 or better.......else he stays.

Trixilver
Club Player

He's been improving every year and is still on the young side. I wouldn't trade him personally.

Rosco
Club Player

Pick 15 or better or a player we can't refuse. Which basically applies to much of the list

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

McKearnan cut, really?

wasn't he progressing along nicely?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

When you are at the bottom the trading game is that you need to get more than you give.

When you are in gf tilt mode if the player you get is one you need you may give up more than you get....but you get what you need.

Giving up Stanley for bugga all is just stupid and I doubt that other clubs will pay overs for him even if he has potential to be better. If another club want to play overs then great. If not we need big forwards and he is ok in the role. Get some young mids who can kick accurately and he will go even better.

If people stopped thinking of him as a superstar there would be a lot less angst.

Stanley is a late pick who is delivering useful value and he shapes as a more than handy ruck forward.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Plus 1
Squared

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:McKearnan cut, really?

wasn't he progressing along nicely?
No idea but he only played 2 games this year in a side that missed the finals. He's just turned 24 and has played 34 games for 21 goals. Not exactly blockbuster figures at this point. Maybe someone gets a Jacobs/Giles-style bargain with him? Not us though - last thing we need is another big guy.

saintjake
Club Player

Rhys is 5th in the AFL for highest percentage of one in ine contests won.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:Rhys is 5th in the AFL for highest percentage of one in ine contests won.
The nuffies will hear none of that. He's also top ten in the comp for contested marks.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

At the right price...

I took it on board that I should judge him on what pick he was taken, I don't expect so much anymore.

Still lacks self belief & intensity, not sure he will ever have it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Id take that Pick 9 from Adelaide and id probably take pick 13 from Port.
But would need to be overs.