Looking to 2015

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Looking to 2015

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. What does it mean for the club? What does it mean for the players? And just as importantly, what does it mean for people like us, the club's loyal supporters?

Let's face it. 2014 was a horror season for us. The only silver lining, if you could call it that, is we get to pick the best young player in Australia.

I've just finished listening to Richo's recent interview on SEN.

I listened really closely to Richo. Sometimes it's what he doesn't say that ends up being just as important as what's said. Reading between the lines, I think Richo is after tough, aggressive at the footy and super quick forwards. That's the change he wants to make in our forward line and that is why he likes Petrenko.

Some people on this forum don't. And they are entitled to their opinion. But it is not shared by the coach. I think he likes Petrenko and McKernan. I think they were both invited to train with the Saints because he wants both of them. He believes they are still young and have been starved of opportunity. Caused by injury in the case of Petrenko and for McKernan, other players ahead of him in the pecking order.

It is not hard to see why he likes Petrenko. He's quick, elusive and aggressively attacks the footy. He's also kicked some super goals. He can play forward as well as in defence. When those types of guys are on song, they make things happen. I don't want to talk too much about Petrenko because there is already a thread devoted to the topic.

McKernan strikes me as the kind of player who could just easily slot into the side as a defender. Act as another big man who can support Delaney, who at times must feel he is taking on the world every time he runs on the field.

And if I am right about what I have said, it makes perfect sense to grab Petracca at pick one. He is young, has great scope for improvement, is aggressive at the footy and quick. Those kinds of dynamic players can change a game in an instant. It might also be why we might be interested in Reece Mckenzie. Another tall, super quick , aggressive forward. And with two other picks up our sleeve and the possibility of players sliding down the order who knows who we might end up with. I just hope they use pick 41 to take Caleb Daniel.

If I am right about the club's strategy, it presents no problem for me as a supporter. We have already got some terrific young players and the prospect of getting more of the same is, I have to say, very exciting. The only aspiration I have for 2015 is that we are a better footy team than we were 2014. As a supporter, I don't think I'm asking too much of the club and the players. It's a pretty modest hope and seems fairly realistic. Let's face it. When you reach the bottom, as we have, there's only one way you can go. And pretty soon we could be getting the kinds of players who can make that a reality. The end of the month can't come quick enough for me.

citywest

Re: Looking to 2015

The most important thing in 2015 is of course getting more games into the youngsters. However something just as important is to continue our list strategy. For me it is all centred on Jack Steven and David Armitage. Best case scenario IMHO would be Steven leave as a FA and we get pick 2 as compo (assuming we will finish last again), and Armitage traded for a pick around 15(ish).

This would achieve a couple of things. It would probably ensure that we finish bottom 2 again in 2016 and it would also give us another 2 high end talents coming through together with Petracca, Billings, Dunstan and Acres. By 2018 we would be the envy of the AFL exactly like it was when we burst out of the blocks in 2004 with the first 10 wins of the season. :D

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

citywest wrote:The most important thing in 2015 is of course getting more games into the youngsters. However something just as important is to continue our list strategy. For me it is all centred on Jack Steven and David Armitage. Best case scenario IMHO would be Steven leave as a FA and we get pick 2 as compo (assuming we will finish last again), and Armitage traded for a pick around 15(ish).

This would achieve a couple of things. It would probably ensure that we finish bottom 2 again in 2016 and it would also give us another 2 high end talents coming through together with Petracca, Billings, Dunstan and Acres. By 2018 we would be the envy of the AFL exactly like it was when we burst out of the blocks in 2004 with the first 10 wins of the season. :D
Without Lenny, Jack Steven and Armo to protect them the young mids will get smashed and end up broken like Luke Ball was.

IMHO getting rid of those players would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Performance/competitiveness would drop even more = less members/less sponsorship/worse draw and tv coverage.

If we are to attract good Free Agents - also part of our list strategy - then we have to make it an attractive proposition for them. "Come play with us and lose by 100 points every week" is not very attractive.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I don't know what the club has in mind re the Rookie draft, but, if they use picks 1-21-22-41 in the National draft on players other than the 2 ex Crows
then, unless they delist a couple more players, there won't be any room on the list for anyone else.

The 2 ex crows only chance then would be as Rookies..

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:This would achieve a couple of things. It would probably ensure that we finish bottom 2 again in 2016 and it would also give us another 2 high end talents coming through together with Petracca, Billings, Dunstan and Acres. By 2018 we would be the envy of the AFL exactly like it was when we burst out of the blocks in 2004 with the first 10 wins of the season. :D
In 2004 we had an incredibly experienced midfield of Harvey, Hayes, Powell, Thompson, Baker and Black to support the kids in Ball, Dal Santo and Goddard. Take the experience away and our 2004 team would have missed the finals. Getting rid of Steven and Armo is a ridiculous suggestion

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:The most important thing in 2015 is of course getting more games into the youngsters. However something just as important is to continue our list strategy. For me it is all centred on Jack Steven and David Armitage. Best case scenario IMHO would be Steven leave as a FA and we get pick 2 as compo (assuming we will finish last again), and Armitage traded for a pick around 15(ish).

Im a bit worried about your footy knowledge. Imagine our midfield from this year without Lenny, Armo and Jack. The young kids would be smashed. We would lose every game by a minimum of 10 goals. maybe its best you don't make us laugh to much.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

Im a bit worried about your footy knowledge. Imagine our midfield from this year without Lenny, Armo and Jack. The young kids would be smashed. We would lose every game by a minimum of 10 goals. maybe its best you don't make us laugh to much.
We were beaten by about 8 goals a game WITH Armo, Jack and Lenny this season. Imagine what would happen without them, would be more than ten goals a game.

Why some ignorant people want to get rid of Steven belies belief. You are correct citiwest is either very very ignorant or is just trolling.

You are garbage - Enough said
stinger
Saintsational Legend

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ...flower me....we haven't finalised our lists for 2015 and this ..per...p pp..person... is already dismantling our list to ensure we finish last in 2016.....2016 ffs........give me strength.... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:I don't know what the club has in mind re the Rookie draft, but, if they use picks 1-21-22-41 in the National draft on players other than the 2 ex Crows
then, unless they delist a couple more players, there won't be any room on the list for anyone else.

one of them might get picked up with our 41 pick....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Maybe trade away one of them, but not both in the same year. We have lost Dal and Lenny in the past two seasons, we cant afford to lose more than one of these leaders a year.

citywest

plugger66 wrote:

With another year of experience for our whole list the loss of Steven and Armitage in 12 months time will not be huge. In fact it will be quite minimal when you consider Petracca, Billings, Dunstan and Acres will be that much older and experienced. Not to mention Eli, Mav and a host of other talented youngsters that we have. Once again you are showing off your short-sightedness again plugger.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

With another year of experience for our whole list the loss of Steven and Armitage in 12 months time will not be huge. In fact it will be quite minimal when you consider Petracca, Billings, Dunstan and Acres will be that much older and experienced. Not to mention Eli, Mav and a host of other talented youngsters that we have. Once again you are showing off your short-sightedness again plugger.

Your knowledge of the game isn't great so its like discussing things with a 5 year old but I will humour you. Firstly Petracca hasn't even played a game and Acres has played 3. The other 2 in Billings and Dunstan are still well off anything Armo and Jack have produced. And they wont be that much older. It will actually only be a year older. Like I said we would lose every single game and even to the bottom sides it would be about 10 goals. it will also mean another year last on the ladder and then another year in 2017 where we would probably be last. That would be 4 years of being last. And to make things worse we would be the laughing stock of the AFL. As for my short sightedness can you tell me out of all the stupid things you have mentioned that the club have gone and done. maybe you long sightedness as just plain stupid sightedness.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:I don't know what the club has in mind re the Rookie draft, but, if they use picks 1-21-22-41 in the National draft on players other than the 2 ex Crows

one of them might get picked up with our 41 pick....
I hope not! That would be massive overs for guys we could get with our rookie draft picks. Could even use pick 1 in the PSD if we're desperate, though that would mean we'd need to free up a spot by delisting someone else or reneging on Weller's promotion.

On balance I reckon it's not a bad idea to punt on one of Delaney, Petrenko or McKernan (in that order). If we're going to do that then I'd go the Weller option, keep him on the rookie list and use PSD pick one on whoever's left.

citywest

plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Your knowledge of the game isn't great so its like discussing things with a 5 year old but I will humour you. Firstly Petracca hasn't even played a game and Acres has played 3. The other 2 in Billings and Dunstan are still well off anything Armo and Jack have produced. And they wont be that much older. It will actually only be a year older. Like I said we would lose every single game and even to the bottom sides it would be about 10 goals. it will also mean another year last on the ladder and then another year in 2017 where we would probably be last. That would be 4 years of being last. And to make things worse we would be the laughing stock of the AFL. As for my short sightedness can you tell me out of all the stupid things you have mentioned that the club have gone and done. maybe you long sightedness as just plain stupid sightedness.
Why would I even bother having a discussion with you when you have the vocabulary of a grade 3 student. Your English is abysmal. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Wow.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Instead of attacking the poster citwest, answer P66's points.

You woul trade away our only two experienced mids, also not caring what it does to the fabric or morale of the team.

We have lost bj, dal, lenny jones, and baker out of our mids with joey to follow this or next year.

Your idea would totally gut our midfield and put back our rebuild by 3-5 years.

P66 is correct, your football knowledge seems to be extremely limited if you continue to post such irrational and illogical thougts.

or are you just trolling?

You are garbage - Enough said
citywest

Not at all Bunk. I am just advocating that we continue with our list strategy of the past few years. I'd be happy if only Steven left (providing we got pick 2). Losing both may be a little over the top. But I wouldn't be totally against it. My reason, we need to gain as many top picks over the next 3 years as we possibly can. If you look at GCS and GWS they still have far more than us and are still getting plenty more so we have to match them. If it means being in the bottom 4 for an extra couple of years then so be it. We won't become a Melbourne basket case because they also stuffed up their recruiting. So far our recruiting since the rebuild began has been spot on.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Not at all Bunk. I am just advocating that we continue with our list strategy of the past few years. I'd be happy if only Steven left (providing we got pick 2). Losing both may be a little over the top. But I wouldn't be totally against it. My reason, we need to gain as many top picks over the next 3 years as we possibly can. If you look at GCS and GWS they still have far more than us and are still getting plenty more so we have to match them. If it means being in the bottom 4 for an extra couple of years then so be it. We won't become a Melbourne basket case because they also stuffed up their recruiting. So far our recruiting since the rebuild began has been spot on.

The problem is CW that we be uncompetative and secondly we lose an important group. Our issues at the moment are not helped by our age profile. You seem to want to just have young kids but it doesn't work. GWS have the best young kids you could get but they have no realised you need the experienced players as well. We cannot afford to lose 24 and 25 year olds especially when they are now our 2 best mids.

bergsone
SS Life Member

I want/expect to see big improvement next year and beyond,imo we will be at least 5 years from that,by removing Steven,Armitage.Who next Dunstan.Billings etc traded out in a couple of years time to get more high picks ?.Be like a dog chasing its tail

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We were beaten by about 8 goals a game WITH Armo, Jack and Lenny this season. Imagine what would happen without them, would be more than ten goals a game.

Why some ignorant people want to get rid of Steven belies belief. You are correct citiwest is either very very ignorant or is just trolling.
A TROLL and a not very intelligent one either.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saint michael

citywest wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why would I even bother having a discussion with you when you have the vocabulary of a grade 3 student. Your English is abysmal. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

City west, I never write in hear, just loo, and this has forced me to say something about your irrational idiotic comment about potentially trading Steve and armitage. Are you out of your frighten mind. You want to get rid of our 2 best in and under mids for the same of high draft picks. We would get smashed every week. You are insane and ignorant. This would destabilise the whole playing list and platers would want to leave, especially the hug draft pics like dunstan and billings. They don't want to get smashed every week. They wa t to be part of a winning culture and the club playing finals sooner rather than later.

City west, I suggest you stop making your self look like a moron and stop arguing with everyone on here and yet, you still arguing with your fellow supporters. Jump ship to another club

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Do you actually barrack for St Kilda because I don't think you do?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
felix
Club Player

Saint michael wrote:
citywest wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

City west, I never write in hear, just loo, and this has forced me to say something about your irrational idiotic comment about potentially trading Steve and armitage. Are you out of your frighten mind. You want to get rid of our 2 best in and under mids for the same of high draft picks. We would get smashed every week. You are insane and ignorant. This would destabilise the whole playing list and platers would want to leave, especially the hug draft pics like dunstan and billings. They don't want to get smashed every week. They wa t to be part of a winning culture and the club playing finals sooner rather than later.

City west, I suggest you stop making your self look like a moron and stop arguing with everyone on here and yet, you still arguing with your fellow supporters. Jump ship to another club

Chillax St Micheal no need to get your knickers in a knot it's just a footy forum just someone's opinion .

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:

Do you actually barrack for St Kilda because I don't think you do?
There has been a phone converstation that is PROOF that citywest is a Saints fan.

Thou must NEVER question this FACT.

(Saintstational, Chapter 1, Verse 1).

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

citywest wrote: Why would I even bother having a discussion with you when you have the vocabulary of a grade 3 student. Your English is abysmal. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you're going to pick on someone's English skills, you should probably do it somewhere other than in a sentence in which you have written three as a numeral instead of a word............

Correct English would be "a grade three student"...... :oops: :oops:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!