Realistic expectations

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

elvis lives
Club Player

Realistic expectations

I'm not sure why people are so surprised and/or despondent about the last couple of losses. We didn't have a list that could legitimately compete at the start of the season and we certainly don't now with our two best players out.

Just looking at the Carlton game, if you consider the two lists, who from Carlton would be a walk up start for us next week? Murphy, Gibbs, Henderson, Walker, Everitt and Simpson are all pretty much no brainers and you could mount a good case for Armfield, Cripps, Thoey and Bell.

Now who from our list, realistically would be a walk up start for Carlton? I don't think it's being overly negative to say there a no obvious candidates. You could make an argument for Armo, Steven and Longer but there'd be no great improvement. And you could debate the current value of the first and secon year players but it's all pretty marginal.

The point being that, on balance, our list is well below theirs and a 40 point loss is probably about right. That's just how it is right now, no point in getting upset about it. We are at an extremely low ebb, it will get better, and hopefully that's sooner rather than later, but right now, we are rubbish.

I am marching in the Saints army
karnaby
Club Player

Re: Realistic expectations

elvis lives wrote:I'm not sure why people are so surprised and/or despondent about the last couple of losses. We didn't have a list that could legitimately compete at the start of the season and we certainly don't now with our two best players out.

<snip>

The point being that, on balance, our list is well below theirs and a 40 point loss is probably about right. That's just how it is right now, no point in getting upset about it. We are at an extremely low ebb, it will get better, and hopefully that's sooner rather than later, but right now, we are rubbish.
Well said elvis.

I definitely saw good signs from every one of our KIDS out there yesterday. That'll do me. I know where we're at.

Anyone with high short term expectations better get ready for some real disappointment. I can't see this year being much different to last season and all I am really hoping for is more competiviness and less blowouts. Getting games into kids, watching them have moments when they get to display their talents and just watching our development are all the positives I really expect this year. Whilst I could be as disappointed and as rabid as the next bloke, I firmly believe that now is definitely the time for that so I'll just try to give my support a little less emotionally.

FQF

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I came to the same conclusion. I wasn't confident once Weller went out on top of Rooey and Montagna. The first half was enough for me to get annoyed when we didn't win but in the cold light of day we were the underdog. At the start of the season I saw Carlton as a middling team again and they should be finishing somewhere between 7th and 15th. They have dropped some games they should have been competitive against but thats why they are a middler.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We are playing better than last year. We are at least leading or in most games early and even later in games. We will probably be smashed next week but we are certainly on the right track.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I concur!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:We are playing better than last year. We are at least leading or in most games early and even later in games.
I think most people would prefer the other way around. The last couple of years we've been terrible early but had a good third or fourth quarter which gives us a bit of positive feeling after the game. This year we're shooting out of the blocks but then getting overrun in the third or fourth.

First quarter percentage: 127%
Second quarter percentage: 105%
Third quarter percentage: 86%
Fourth quarter percentage: 78%

Poor last quarters leave no one happy - even the Gold Coast game was pretty stressful at the end despite being a solid result overall.

But actually good first quarters are a better omen for the future. I reckon that's when the kids are feeling good and playing closer to their potential. By the second half they're pretty worn down and we're relying on our veterans.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We are playing better than last year. We are at least leading or in most games early and even later in games.
I think most people would prefer the other way around. The last couple of years we've been terrible early but had a good third or fourth quarter which gives us a bit of positive feeling after the game. This year we're shooting out of the blocks but then getting overrun in the third or fourth.

First quarter percentage: 127%
Second quarter percentage: 105%
Third quarter percentage: 86%
Fourth quarter percentage: 78%

Poor last quarters leave no one happy - even the Gold Coast game was pretty stressful at the end despite being a solid result overall.

But actually good first quarters are a better omen for the future. I reckon that's when the kids are feeling good and playing closer to their potential. By the second half they're pretty worn down and we're relying on our veterans.

People may feel better the other way around but as you said and I agree I think its better for the future that we are playing better early.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Please dont come on here with positives.

we need to delist the whole list, sack the coach, kill the boot studder and burn Finnis at the stake.

Then and only then will we win the 2016 flag.

Mark my words.

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Please dont come on here with positives.

we need to delist the whole list, sack the coach, kill the boot studder and burn Finnis at the stake.

Then and only then will we win the 2016 flag.

Mark my words.

Kill the boot studder? Harsh. I would just cut off his arms so he cant do his job well.

SAAD
Club Player

We will be ok, winning quarters and halves for now, the odd upset here or there then onto a few back to back wins next couple years before hitting out straps.

Rome wasn't built in one day. I'm like Plugs prefer starting well than getting junk time goals in second halves of games when teams take their foot off the pedal.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:We are playing better than last year. We are at least leading or in most games early and even later in games. We will probably be smashed next week but we are certainly on the right track.
You are spot on Plugger. This year is all about development. Your will start to see an improvement in 2016 and towards the end of 16 there will start to be quite a bit of excitement from the supporters. 2017 will see a new training base and a push to the 8. We just need to be patient. Again.
And Patrick. If you were at the game yesterday you would have noticed 3 times in the first quarter how he led to space and was metres clear. A bit of polish with our delivery would have given him 3 set shots. He,s ok, don't doubt his ability.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote:I concur!
So do I

saint6709
Club Player

tony74 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We are playing better than last year. We are at least leading or in most games early and even later in games. We will probably be smashed next week but we are certainly on the right track.
You are spot on Plugger. This year is all about development. Your will start to see an improvement in 2016 and towards the end of 16 there will start to be quite a bit of excitement from the supporters. 2017 will see a new training base and a push to the 8. We just need to be patient. Again.
And Patrick. If you were at the game yesterday you would have noticed 3 times in the first quarter how he led to space and was metres clear. A bit of polish with our delivery would have given him 3 set shots. He,s ok, don't doubt his ability.
Agree Maccartin made some good space and was not rewarded early in the game

Re expectations -as a comparison my mate is very senior in the nrl and they virtually don't even think about a bloke until he is about 23 - for us to think a bunch of 18/19/20 year olds and handful of guys probably playing their last year of professional footy can compete against the opposition competing in the afl week in week out then we are very ambitious to say the least - we all know this team is a few years off it is just painful to watch it sometimes right now

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Clearly this thread is a joke !

Realistic expectations .
Posted by " Elvis Lives "

i'll take no further part .
love Colonel tom parker .

In red white and black from 73
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Way too sensible and level headed Elvis!
I prefer emotional irrational responses.

I'd like to see mass sackings, memberships in the microwave and a truck of horse manure delivered to Linen House at 6am on Monday.