Tom Curren

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Hallalj#3
Club Player

Tom Curren

This kids career fascinates me in 2013 I thought he looked like he was going to be a beauty his last 4 games that season his possession count was over 20 in each of those games.. Looked really good.

2014 I thought in round 1 against the dees he was a great in the centre square.

He started as a tagger under Richo had a couple of solid games against Treloar and Hepple, but struggled in others and that role was given too Weller..

He spent the second half of last yr in and out of the team and playing Hf with little or no time in the midfield..
Now it seems his a fringe player at best when 18 months ago I was really hopeful this kid was going to be a big part of our core Midfield for the next 6-8 years..

I see he got another 30 at vfl level where he seems to gather those numbers weekly down there, I think this kid is a natural ball getter don't think his skills are terrible, got good leg speed.

Don't know why he can't get a game as a rover in a team that lacks midfielders. Think he is one that had a lot of interest in him after 2013 and hasn't really been given the opportunity to develop as a Midfielder.. Will probably look elsewhere for an opportunity which could leave us with egg on our faces

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom Curren

Who should he be playing instead of. And to be honest if he did struggle to play much this year and was delisted his chances of being picked up would be remote.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Who should he be playing instead of. And to be honest if he did struggle to play much this year and was delisted his chances of being picked up would be remote.
Dunstan?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Who should he be playing instead of. And to be honest if he did struggle to play much this year and was delisted his chances of being picked up would be remote.
Dunstan?

So you would have dropped Dunstan in the last week or two?

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
Dunstan?

Speaking prospectively, I don't think Dunstan particularly deserves his spot in the team ahead of someone like Curren who is playing good footy in the same position in the VFL. Do you think Dunstan is earning his spot at the moment?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
Dunstan?

Speaking prospectively, I don't think Dunstan particularly deserves his spot in the team ahead of someone like Curren who is playing good footy in the same position in the VFL. Do you think Dunstan is earning his spot at the moment?

Well Curren has played 2 games this year for an average of 8 possessions and before last week Dunstan was averaging 20 so yes Dunstan was well ahead of Curren.

Hallalj#3
Club Player

Dunstan probably atm but in saying that he has massive upside..
Just find it weird that we have a guy on our list who knows how to win the footy who from what I've seen is a natural Rover, hasn't been given that chance under Richo.

Hallalj#3
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
Dunstan?

Well Curren has played 2 games this year for an average of 8 possessions and before last week Dunstan was averaging 20 so yes Dunstan was well ahead of Curren.
Playing in a pocket sitting not his position clearly.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hallalj#3 wrote:
Dunstan probably atm but in saying that he has massive upside..
Just find it weird that we have a guy on our list who knows how to win the footy who from what I've seen is a natural Rover, hasn't been given that chance under Richo.

2 games for 17 possessions doesn't suggest he has been able to get hold of it this year in the seniors. I think we forget form once someone does something in a pretty ordinary comp like the VFL.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
Dunstan?

Yes, but prospectively, seeing as Dunstan has averaged 16 disposals as a full time midfielder in the past fortnight (19 and 13 touches), and Curren has had 25+ possessions for a few weeks in the same position in the VFL, an argument could be made for a swap.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
Dunstan?

Yes, but prospectively, seeing as Dunstan has averaged 16 disposals as a full time midfielder in the past fortnight (19 and 13 touches), and Curren has had 25+ possessions for a few weeks in the same position in the VFL, an argument could be made for a swap.

Pretty ordinary comp for a start and secondly the thread seemed to suggest should be already playing. It seems we don't want to use AFL form for one but we do for the other.

FQF
SS Life Member

I don't think he should have been playing, maybe contrary to the OP. But a fair comparison would not take Curren's stats playing out of position as a defensive forward with Dunstan's stats as a full time midfielder. I reckon that the comparison between Curren as a mid in VFL vs Dunstan as a mid in AFL is more fair.

I don't really know about the standard of the VFL but seeing as we don't really see any of our players dominating with 40+ touches like you get in the NEAFL, I would guess that it isn't an irrelevant form guide. Clearly VFL form is a factor in selection.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Curren struggles by hand IMO, his handballs rarely hit...maybe his muscles get in the way?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Pretty poor user from what I've seen at AFL level.

Not sure how he does about disposing it in the VFL, but perhaps the split second of extra time he loses at the top level is what makes him look below par.

Not sure on his speed either.

Is consistently good at VFL level, seems like one of those guys that has reached his limit, much like Cockie. Just gets found out too easily, a bit lacking in the skills department and has little upside.

Dunstan miles ahead purely on potential and the need to fast track his development through exposure to the top level alone.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I don't think the small forward role suits him either. Dunstan probably needs a rest as he missed a lot of preseason with shoulder rehab. He is a back up mid ATM but his VFL form deserves consideration for a spot. He will be competing with Ross soon too.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

With Curren the emergence of Sinclair and Lonie have gazumped him up forward...and he certainly will not displave Billings.

As a pure mid he has rarely shown enough when elevated.

He may be destined to be one of many players who are very good at VFL level, but not good enough for AFL.

I would give Minchington another crack at AFL level before Curren.

At present I am excited that Ross is coming back as he looked really good pre-season.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:With Curren the emergence of Sinclair and Lonie have gazumped him up forward...and he certainly will not displave Billings.

As a pure mid he has rarely shown enough when elevated.

He may be destined to be one of many players who are very good at VFL level, but not good enough for AFL.

I would give Minchington another crack at AFL level before Curren.

At present I am excited that Ross is coming back as he looked really good pre-season.

I can honestly say I don't recall him ever getting a midfield role in the seniors. He is usually only a tagger or a defensive forward.

FQF
SS Life Member

Watters played Curren as a tagger as part of his development as a midfielder. I can't remember Richo every giving him a chance as a midfielder - possibly because Richo's arrival coincided with Dunstan and Weller.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-08-2 ... ong-nicely

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Dunstan needs a rest Curren should hopefully replace him this week.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Playon
Club Player

Looks to me that he's over coached and not playing his natural game, Playing a role doesn't always bring out the best in players

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Possibly Templeton

Saint wagga
Club Player

i dont think you can argue with the fact that every new senior coach will have favourites, or players that came into the club when they did that get some sort of favourable ride at selection or just a certain position or idea that a coach will have about a player...weather it be draft picks, or certain rookies etc...i dont think its always a bad thing, because it doesnt take a degree in psychology to work out that some level of knowing your in the team for a decent stretch will help someone relax...

I reckon curren is a classic for this...Richo came in and saw him as a purely defensive mid/tagger. mind made up, thatts what he saw tommy as.When he thought he found a better option in weller, the plan has been to turn him into a version of paul puopolo (which in time he could very well become, time is still very much on his side and clearly work ethic and team first mentality are two of his best attriibutes).

I think back to when he first got his shot and inside mid and he did very well, as mentioned in the original post. What i dont think he;s been given is a chance to have enough games in a certain role for long enough without getting the shuffle. To some extent its about timing. Dinstan came in, right place, right time, gets the settled chance that helped kickstart his career. This is a go at dunstan, but hes certainly had enough quiet games to warrant being dropped if he wasnt a bit of a coaches fav. Again, the stability of selection will benefit him long term i have no doubt. As for curren, his timing just hasnt been as fortutitous...BUt if he perseveres and can improve his deficiencies, the door will eventually open, but it will only be through consistent excellent performance that cant be ignored...some players have had to do it the tough way (Joey is one that comes to mind) the whole way!!

Of course, he could just not be up to it. each to there own opinion. Ive always had a soft spot for tommy c. i want him to make it.