Captain material

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Loxton
Club Player

Captain material

Obviously our Roo remains the skipper until he retires ( 1,2 even 3 more seasons).
Hypothetically if Roo goes down with a career ending injury (touch,knock-on, rub wood that doesn't happen) in the next season,
the job may be handballed to another senior player i.e. Joey for the remainder of their career. Or,
One of the next generation saints gets the gig, in my opinion there are not too many right now that stand out to be Captain material.
Jack Newnes has leader written all over him,
Armo is a mid-aged leader, but I'm not quite sold on him as future captain yet,
Mav Weller is another one that has potential, but I'm my opinion needs to go up another level to become one of the top 6 or so players at our club.
Not sold on Geary.

Does anyone else have a player/players in mind that has potential major leadership qualities that they can see?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Captain material

The next captain is Armo and it will probably be next season. There is no way a like Weller or newness would get it next.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The next captain is Armo and it will probably be next season. There is no way a like Weller or newness would get it next.
What makes you think Roo won't keep it next year?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The next captain is Armo and it will probably be next season. There is no way a like Weller or newness would get it next.

I have always thought he would keep it until we have an obvious replacement. Surely we now have the obvious replacement.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

I have always thought he would keep it until we have an obvious replacement. Surely we now have the obvious replacement.
Hmmm. Hasn't Geary been doing the acting in Roos absence?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

Hmmm. Hasn't Geary been doing the acting in Roos absence?

Yep.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

I'm with Plugger on this one. Armitage would be my choice next year.

Sorry to admit this, but whilst watching the Pt Adelaide game I saw Geary turn the ball over quite a few times...and I thought...gee...I wish Acres would develop enough to take Geary's place in the team.

Longer term, I've got an eye on Billings, Dunstan or one of the talented kids to show leadership skills and captain our next premership team.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:I'm with Plugger on this one. Armitage would be my choice next year.

Sorry to admit this, but whilst watching the Pt Adelaide game I saw Geary turn the ball over quite a few times...and I thought...gee...I wish Acres would develop enough to take Geary's place in the team.

Longer term, I've got an eye on Billings, Dunstan or one of the talented kids to show leadership skills and captain our next premership team.
Geary for mine is in the Delaney 'stop-gap' category. For the team to improve and move forward we need to upgrade Geary. For this reason I don't believe he's a suitable captain.

St Loxton
Club Player

Agree on Geary, great endeavour and tenacity, but not a leader of the next gen.

if Roo plays he is skipper, and mentor of the next leaders, born leader of men and will leave a great legacy.

stjay
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote:I'm with Plugger on this one. Armitage would be my choice next year.

Armitage is the one. Newnes barely gets it done on game day, let alone captain the side.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Armo clearly for me.
Newnes next in line but not until he gets to 150 games which is 5 years away.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Armo has matured immensely this year. I couldn't see him as captain material before this year , but his transformation has been outstanding. Credit to Richo or however has managed to get him to step up to the next level. Armo gets my vote.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
mambo2706
Club Player

St Loxton wrote:Mav Weller is another one that has potential, but I'm my opinion needs to go up another level to become one of the top 6 or so players at our club.
I don't think a player has to be one of the top 6 players at the club to be captain. Nick Maxwell and Cameron Ling are both premiership captains but wouldn't have been in the best 6 at their club (although I do think Ling was a great player). I think Joey would make a great captain but I think we need to go with a younger player such as Armo.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Armo clearly for me.
Newnes next in line but not until he gets to 150 games which is 5 years away.
+1

Always loyal
St Loxton
Club Player

mambo2706 wrote:
St Loxton wrote:Mav Weller is another one that has potential, but I'm my opinion needs to go up another level to become one of the top 6 or so players at our club.
I don't think a player has to be one of the top 6 players at the club to be captain. Nick Maxwell and Cameron Ling are both premiership captains but wouldn't have been in the best 6 at their club (although I do think Ling was a great player). I think Joey would make a great captain but I think we need to go with a younger player such as Armo.
Yeah good point mambo, re. top 6 players.
Armo has gone to another level in the absence of Lenny, i love him for that, i guess its big shoes to fill regards captaincy.
Yes Armo is the immediate choice atm.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Gears actually had a better disposal etc than most this week
Went at over 80%

Newnes for mine
When roo retires

Roo should be capt until he hangs the boots up imo

mambo2706
Club Player

matrix wrote:Roo should be capt until he hangs the boots up imo
I would love to see him break Stephen Kernahan's record of most games as captain (226) but would need at least 2 more seasons to achieve it.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Injury free next year mambo and it could be very possible!!!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Injury free next year mambo and it could be very possible!!!

mambo2706
Club Player

He's played 293 so far so would be early 2017 when he would break it - unless we play in a few drawn grand finals next year :D .

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="matrix"]Gears actually had a better disposal etc than most this week
Went at over 80%

Isn't perception deceptive, I would have sworn that Geary slaughtered the ball consistently, especially in the first half. If you told me he was at 30% on the weekend I would have believed you.

Watching the game, i was lamenting the loss of Raf Clarke...

RODOS
Club Player

Im with everyone else on this, defs sinclair for captain

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

RODOS wrote:Im with everyone else on this, defs sinclair for captain
I think that's unfair to Holmes. Surely he's done enough to drop straight into the role from next year. Only competition should be Lewie Pierce. I'm a big believer in having the tallest guys on the team as captain because then they can look down on everyone else.

mambo2706
Club Player

mambo2706 wrote:He's played 293 so far so would be early 2017 when he would break it - unless we play in a few drawn grand finals next year :D .
I must have been bloody tired when I wrote that last night. I meant to say he has captained 193 games - not played 293. It would still be 2017 if/when he breaks the record.

RODOS
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
RODOS wrote:Im with everyone else on this, defs sinclair for captain
I think that's unfair to Holmes. Surely he's done enough to drop straight into the role from next year. Only competition should be Lewie Pierce. I'm a big believer in having the tallest guys on the team as captain because then they can look down on everyone else.
roo will play 2 more years at least, I concede armo will then have it for a couple of years, then the haircutsinclair!!