Pelchen

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

derby Street
Club Player

Pelchen

What is he doing for a job these days ? I see his name pop up with quotes / opinions on list management matters but it never states if he is involved with another club.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pelchen

derby Street wrote:What is he doing for a job these days ? I see his name pop up with quotes / opinions on list management matters but it never states if he is involved with another club.
Yes he often has articles on the offical afl.com website.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Gun for hire including in the media as a special comments man to to with trading/drafting.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I heard at / with the AFL

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
supersaints
Club Player

He was on the radio (SEN) last week saying that we should give pick five for Carlisle OR Freeman, saying that you should trade for what you need and not worry about the deal the other side gets...... I guess that explains why we moved him on!
He may be good at identifying club needs and player demographics I'm sure Bains and Trout do care about who and what we trade You need to trade for the best outcome for the club

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:He was on the radio (SEN) last week saying that we should give pick five for Carlisle OR Freeman, saying that you should trade for what you need and not worry about the deal the other side gets...
He's an idiot.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
supersaints wrote:He was on the radio (SEN) last week saying that we should give pick five for Carlisle OR Freeman, saying that you should trade for what you need and not worry about the deal the other side gets...
He's an idiot.
Is he otherwise known as Ben Dover?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Was he at hawthorn when they used 2 first round draft picks to get Burgyone (spelling?).
If so that's a great example of what he is talking about.
Gave up heaps and got a gun

supersaints
Club Player

No....Hawks gave up pick nine to Port and gave up mark Williams to Essendon as part of a four club deal.

Go Sainters !!!!!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Didn't spend much time at the club or doing his job, apparently. Given the coin he was on and the results he produced, I suggest we were right to move him on. Bains and Elshaug seem to have him covered. No great loss.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Getting credit for the Burgoyne trade now?!

Like he did with Buddy and Roughie??

Heard a number of times it was Gary Bukenara and Alistair C who were behind the pillars in 2004

And

Graham Wright has headed up the recruiting in the last half dozen years

People do realise, he wasn't a recruiter at all???!!

Elshaugh and Bains must be miffed the fact CP gets any credit for which players were selected in any of the last 3 or 4 drafts??!!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:He was on the radio (SEN) last week saying that we should give pick five for Carlisle OR Freeman, saying that you should trade for what you need and not worry about the deal the other side gets...... I guess that explains why we moved him on!
He may be good at identifying club needs and player demographics I'm sure Bains and Trout do care about who and what we trade You need to trade for the best outcome for the club
Did he actually say that or are you misrepresenting his argument?

I find it hard to believe that Pelchen would swap pick #5 for a pick #10 of 2 years ago with suspect hammies, that hasn't played a game

supersaints
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
supersaints wrote:He was on the radio (SEN) last week saying that we should give pick five for Carlisle OR Freeman, saying that you should trade for what you need and not worry about the deal the other side gets...... I guess that explains why we moved him on!

I find it hard to believe that Pelchen would swap pick #5 for a pick #10 of 2 years ago with suspect hammies, that hasn't played a game
Yes he did actually say that, ( may be not the exact words it was last week) I don't know how to search SEN for the audio but someone on here could do that, I was quite surprised at the time

Go Sainters !!!!!
ripplug66
Club Player

supersaints wrote:
skeptic wrote:

Yes he did actually say that, ( may be not the exact words it was last week) I don't know how to search SEN for the audio but someone on here could do that, I was quite surprised at the time

It was Carlisle not Freeman and he didn't say swap pick 5 but he did say if you want the player then get him within reason of the coat. I think he would trade pick 5 for Carlisle from what he said but I reckon he would want something else in return.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
He's an idiot.

To be fair he said that's what his value is not what we would pay.

supersaints
Club Player

My memory tells me that he said along the lines Essendon should wait for a high pick, He's what the Saints need, that Carlise deal would involve pick 5 or a quality Player, thought we might not like the idea but if he fits our needs we should do it
They mentioned Freeman at the end and that's when he said teams should not worry about what the other team gets in return that they worry too much about what the other side is getting.
Unlike pluggerrip I cannot guess what he was thinking.

Go Sainters !!!!!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
He's an idiot.

To be fair he said that's what his value is not what we would pay.
What he actually said is irrelevant. It's just an opportunity for haters to hate.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Don't like pelicans...

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I have never met him but two years ago there was a lot of love for him on here
Now everyone hates him?
I couldn't care less but people sure change their mind at the drop of a hat

ripplug66
Club Player

Goose is king wrote:I have never met him but two years ago there was a lot of love for him on here
Now everyone hates him?

I certainly haven't changed my mind. Never trusted him or rated him and still don't. Look like the industry could now be similar.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:I have never met him but two years ago there was a lot of love for him on here
Now everyone hates him?
He was power hungry. He wanted the final say on selection and also wanted to be in the coaches box on match days.

He simply had to go.

His exit was extremely well handled by the club.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Now everyone hates him?
He was power hungry. He wanted the final say on selection and also wanted to be in the coaches box on match days.

He simply had to go.

His exit was extremely well handled by the club.
Yet another dud hiring by our past admin. Gee we did well at getting it wrong at the pointy end of the club in the past!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Haha plugger...

Must've been someone else I was arguing with??

You critise people when they leave the club or are easy targets.

I am pretty sure people on SS remember who openly critisised Pelchen. It was the person you love to oppose and take the moral high ground in the fact you were a great supporter of the club.

It's no surprise every moment he was at the club we were a rabble... Before and after the club and it's leadership flourishes.

ripplug66
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Haha plugger...

Must've been someone else I was arguing with??

You critise people when they leave the club or are easy targets.

I am pretty sure people on SS remember who openly critisised Pelchen. It was the person you love to oppose and take the moral high ground in the fact you were a great supporter of the club.

It's no surprise every moment he was at the club we were a rabble... Before and after the club and it's leadership flourishes.

Just ask SainterK how I felt about Pelchen. And that was pretty much as soon as he joined us. I don't like what you are implying but no doubt it will be my fault.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I'm a fan of the Pelican. Crawford said very early at hawthorn he put up in front of everyone what the premiership team would look like. It mirrors the infamous spreadsheet he has for us. He has a real vision of what the team will look like that will run out on Grand Final day and win and sets that as a base direction for the clubs drafting and trading rather than just haphazardly drafting players and hoping it all comes together. It's categorised by players with good disposal and some real x-factor that can break open games. Billings at 3 seems a classic Pelchen pick. Going with a skinny small fwd at 3 is a huge risk but the sheer brilliance of Billings could win a grannie off his own back. He likes players who have real weaponary rather than just generalised good players.

I suppose once he's finished ruthlessly deconstructiong the club to maximise early picks and created his visionary spreadsheet a lot of his work is done. There is no doubt he rubs people the wrong way but that is often a good thing to challenge coaches who perhaps don't have the pyschological distance to make the cold hard decisions necessary. The success at Port Adelaide and then Hawthorn, with greatly skilled players who can keep the ball and do brilliant things to surprise well drilled team defenses, is proof to me he plays a really important role in building the base for a successful flag tilt. I'm glad he came to St Kilda. He's set us up well.