Carlisle's extra weekend fitness

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle's extra weekend fitness

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/nort ... 92c219f48f
PRIZED St Kilda recruit Jake Carlisle proved his talents are not confined to the football field with an unbeaten century for Craigieburn’s Second XI on Saturday against Glenroy.

Carlisle, who played juniors for the Turf Cricket club, put his hand up to feature in the Round 6 match with his local side struggling for numbers.

The 24-year-old compiled an unbeaten 146, lifting the visitors to 9-326 at Sewell Reserve in the North A2 clash.

Craigieburn president Gerard Laffan said Carlisle was talented enough as a junior cricketer to attract attention from Victorian selectors.

“Jake was an exceptional (junior) sportsman, both with cricket and obviously football,” Laffan said.

“He played representative cricket throughout his junior career and was probably a candidate Cricket Victoria were looking at before he got drafted.”

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Carlisle's extra weekend fitness

Did he get clearance from the club to do this?

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:Did he get clearance from the club to do this?

No he just went out and played. Its all about him.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:

Well he's shown a tendency to do things on the spur of the moment without thinking it through much - amirite?

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

Well he's shown a tendency to do things on the spur of the moment without thinking it through much - amirite?

Probably but if we think he just does what he wants all the time then we will never forgive. Id rather think he is doing whats best for him and the club.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

Probably but if we think he just does what he wants all the time then we will never forgive. Id rather think he is doing whats best for him and the club.
No need to get all defensive (again). Just raised it because it's unusual for clubs to allow players to play cricket or any other amateur sport where there is the possibility of damage and time on the sidelines for the players they are investing so heavily in. Also where they may strain themselves playing on substandard surfaces with the risk of twisted ankles etc. I think they are happy with golf and bowling but not too much else. They don't even like players wearing thongs.

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

No need to get all defensive (again). Just raised it because it's unusual for clubs to allow players to play cricket or any other amateur sport where there is the possibility of damage and time on the sidelines for the players they are investing so heavily in. Also where they may strain themselves playing on substandard surfaces with the risk of twisted ankles etc. I think they are happy with golf and bowling but not too much else. They don't even like players wearing thongs.

Defensive? I honestly thought you were joking but sadly I think you are serious. I think you will find the players can do pretty much what they want, well within reason, at this time of year and the thong thing was about 10 years ago. They can certainly wear thongs.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

Defensive? I honestly thought you were joking but sadly I think you are serious. I think you will find the players can do pretty much what they want, well within reason, at this time of year and the thong thing was about 10 years ago. They can certainly wear thongs.
Dustin Martin clearly thought he could do pretty much he wanted, he might need a rethink at the end of his saga.

I doubt football players are smart enough to define "well within reason".

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Fair question querying if he got clearance.

I'm not happy with our players playing cricket. You can do hammies and other injuries playing the game - although not as likely as playing footy.

I'd assume snow skiing is banned during the off season holidays - and for pluggers benefit that means snow in the northern hemisphere at this time of year.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Luckily he was allowed out of rehab to attend. Must have had a positive week with no sleeping in episodes.

Saintsational Legend

Thank goodness it's only cricket. I thought "extra weekend fitness" was a euphamism for amphetamine use, or some such thing!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
ripplug66
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Fair question querying if he got clearance.

I'm not happy with our players playing cricket. You can do hammies and other injuries playing the game - although not as likely as playing footy.

I'd assume snow skiing is banned during the off season holidays - and for pluggers benefit that means snow in the northern hemisphere at this time of year.

But you can go to Bali and get blind and run around the streets. He batted in a cricket match. Wow. What do people think these guys can do over summer. Sit in a TAB and smoke all day?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

8856brother wrote:Luckily he was allowed out of rehab to attend. Must have had a positive week with no sleeping in episodes.
I heard he busted out of rehab, along with Jack Nicholson and a seven foot tall Indian.

Bloody he'll the club Doesn't own the players. They are not frigging slaves.

As for injuries. A player can get injured doing anything. More likely to get an injury a footy training than at a hit and giggle.

Maybe ban Roo from going to Texas because he might get DVT.

You are garbage - Enough said
St Loxton
Club Player

Didn't spider stuff his knee gardening or something. Can get injured doing just about anything. Rather them playing cricket than surfing.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

St Loxton wrote:Didn't spider stuff his knee gardening or something. Can get injured doing just about anything. Rather them playing cricket than surfing.
Yes he stepped in a pot hole in his backyard (which is apparently a euphemism for skateboarding).

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: Yes he stepped in a pot hole in his backyard (which is apparently a euphemism for skateboarding).

Hope he didn't keep up that pretence once he moved to Sydney as I believe that means something quite different in Oxford Street :wink:

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Fair question querying if he got clearance.

You can do a hammy mowing the lawn or playing with your kid. Don't see an issue with this and the club agrees

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

St Loxton wrote:Didn't spider stuff his knee gardening or something. Can get injured doing just about anything. Rather them playing cricket than surfing.
When do you ever hear of AFL players playing cricket these days? I lot of them were good cricketers growing up and you'd think they would love to play a bit in the off-season. Perhaps its just down to not having the time for organised sport - they usually go away on their holidays and then even the preseason is pretty time consuming with camps, recovery sessions, promotion stuff etc. Perhaps is no big deal but I thought maybe the clubs feel cricket with is just a bit too dangerous with a hard ball being slung at them, some pretty uneven suburban grounds etc.

Still you would hope Jake would run it past the club, especially as he is still in rehab (physical that is :wink: ) and should get the physio sign-off its ok.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:
When do you ever hear of AFL players playing cricket these days? I lot of them were good cricketers growing up and you'd think they would love to play a bit in the off-season. Perhaps its just down to not having the time for organised sport - they usually go away on their holidays and then even the preseason is pretty time consuming with camps, recovery sessions, promotion stuff etc. Perhaps is no big deal but I thought maybe the clubs feel cricket with is just a bit too dangerous with a hard ball being slung at them, some pretty uneven suburban grounds etc.

Still you would hope Jake would run it past the club, especially as he is still in rehab (physical that is :wink: ) and should get the physio sign-off its ok.

Sounds like the hard ball didn't worry him too much with a score of 146.

You are garbage - Enough said
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Our biggest threat is the West Indies make him an offer.

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:

Wow a hard ball. He has a bat you know. Accidents can happen in any sport. They are allowed to surf all the time and that would be just as dangerous and I doubt they get permission to do that. Yep most don't play now because they have other things on but he filled in for one game. Big deal. And he may have ran it past the club. Are you going to write a topic on out players who surf and see if they ran it by the club?

markp
Saintsational Legend

I thought he spent his free time smoking crack and playing xbox.

But this is outrageous.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
When do you ever hear of AFL players playing cricket these days?
There is a current Adelaide player (Rookie I think) who the club has given permission to continue playing cricket. It was on the AFL site last week. By all account a very good cricketer. He was in an Australian (Under 19's) representative side - the one that Mitch Marsh captained. He initially gave up AFL footy to concentrate on cricket. However he has now decided to focus on AFL and has been rookied in this years draft. He is playing First Grade cricket at the moment. And Adelaide have given him permission to continue playing for the rest of this cricket season - however Adelaide's training has priority over his cricket commitments.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Just looked the article up.......sorry couldn't do a link. His name is Alex Keath AND he is playing for the Adelaide Strikers in the BBL at present. Also played for the Melbourne BBL side.

Keath is the first listed VFL/AFL listed player to concurrently play state level cricket since Craig Bradley (Carlton).

Adelaide are happy for him to continue on playing cricket.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Just looked the article up.......sorry couldn't do a link. His name is Alex Keath AND he is playing for the Adelaide Strikers in the BBL at present. Also played for the Melbourne BBL side.

Keath is the first listed VFL/AFL listed player to concurrently play state level cricket since Craig Bradley (Carlton).

Adelaide are happy for him to continue on playing cricket.
Think the story was that Keath had moved to SA to try and reboot his cricket career and was only looking at AFL as a fall back if that failed.

And that Adelaide have rookied him with full knowledge and support of this (was a free pick anyway as an unregistered player)