Small Stadiums

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Small Stadiums

I don't want to use the word 'boutique' so I wont.

I thought this deserved its own thread because 19,000 turned up at Princess Park (Ikon) yesterday.

Now we all know the break-even at Etihad is around 35,000.

But our homes games v GWS, GC, Sydney, Brisbane, North, Port, Eagles & Freo are basically never going to get up to 35,000.

Some games v Melbourne and Bulldogs will also really struggle to get to the 35,000.

Our average home crowd in 2015 was 26,819.

So really a stadium that holds 25,000 would be perfect for when we play the smaller or interstate clubs.

We know the AFL has plenty of money. If they were to spend big on Princess Park - which I believe they will. Is there are an argument to do the same at Moorabbin?
Princess Park is great for fans of Dogs, Bombers, Norf & Blues but not so great for the rest.

How would Moorabbin be for us and the Demons to play a few home games at? Both us and the Dees could play 3-5 homes games per year at Moorabbin against interstate opposition.

Melbourne's average home crowd in 2015 was 29,720. They dont need to be at the G during weeks when they are pulling crowds under 25,000.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-29/b ... ark-return

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Small Stadiums

Worth considering.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The AFL just needs to fast track the purchase of Docklands...Once that happens then the crappy stadium deals won't be an issue financially.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Can we really justify spending millions on a new or upgrade stadium which would probably include a huge chunk of tax payer money that should go to hospitals and schools? We've got three AFL standard venues in VIC. That was the whole point of ground rationalisation, to make it much more economic so clubs can make money. Instead we got lumbered with a ridiculous deal where we have to pay to play. Its insane.

I wanted the AFL to try and leverage a better deal by threatening to take games elsewhere - even if its pretty much a bluff. I think they tried that a bit leaking the proposal of a boutique stadium but it didn't do anything. When we are flying in a few years we'll pull big crowds regularly. I think Etihad suits us but its just this insane deal we have that kills us. It makes us look like "takers" when really we are paying off the stadium and are big contributers to the competition as a whole that pushing the value up and up. We need to make sure we are pushing now for a brilliant deal when the AFL finally take over the Dome. The other clubs will try everything they can to screw the dockland tenants and get a share of the cash. We need to be shrewdly political on this and protect our turf.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

John Elliott put in seating etc which must be getting old but the terracing and stands are there. He thought he could bully the AFL in to using it. Unfortunately Etihad had a contract that didn't allow it. It also has no parking, poor public transport and is a little too far north for the southern suburb visitors. Punt road would be a better position but would take too much work to get up to anything but minimal seating.

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval FFS
Develop the freaking thing and everyone's a winner
How often does the logic of this proposition need to be tested?
-- and poo pooed because someone or some body feels some sentimental attachment to 3 people watching cricket.... 3 people dont pay the bills

Yesterday's result at Princes park pretty much confirms what a lot of us sentimentalists feel - our feel is real

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:The AFL just needs to fast track the purchase of Docklands...Once that happens then the crappy stadium deals won't be an issue financially.
This is the intellegent response that the media should be harping on about, but they aren't that smart sadly.

The game at Corruptus Oval, given good weather, was always going to draw well given the novelty value and the fact the Blues haven't played an official game there for over a decade. It's a different story playing GWS there in the middle of winter. Plus the millions that need to be spent to make the ground AFL standard simply has to go towards paying out Etihad - way bigger bang for your buck.

Hopefully Andy Maher reads (and can comprehend), this post.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

You'd think there is a deal in place that contract the AFL to play X number of games at Etihad Stadium that won't allow them to bluff or set up a small stadium. The AFL is stuffed until it buys out the docklands deal.

Moorabbin and Punt Road are not options and even the Western Oval probably isn't either.

So Princes Park and the Junction Oval (I know that will never happen) but those are about the only two where something might happen you'd think. Close to the city with 'some' public transport.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

HardSaint wrote:Junction Oval FFS
Develop the freaking thing and everyone's a winner
How often does the logic of this proposition need to be tested?
-- and poo pooed because someone or some body feels some sentimental attachment to 3 people watching cricket.... 3 people dont pay the bills

Yesterday's result at Princes park pretty much confirms what a lot of us sentimentalists feel - our feel is real
YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Jack's post just above is on the money too!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

how do people in the Stk heartland - bayside

travel on plublic transport to the JO?

ive played cricket there... and most of the other grounds ... i found it a cant to get to...

Nortport oval is also annoying either down nepean or on beach road.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

It's a 10 minute walk from Windsor station.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Sorry, but I am not for winding back the clock.

At our home games at Etihad I can guarantee Trev, Mrs Trev and Little Miss Trev will be there.

Try telling Mrs Trev and Little Miss Trev how wonderful it would be to go sit or stand out in the weather at some old crap ground.

At lease three less Saints memberships, to be sure.

Saint supporter since '62
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

BigMart wrote:how do people in the Stk heartland - bayside

travel on plublic transport to the JO?
Hi Mart, the same way as ~250,000 punter's wallets get to the Melbourne Formula One every year. (And lets not forget the world's media... hint, hint, re a 'fringe benefit' of living next door to that event.)

And the same way that up to 700,000 punter's wallets get to the St Kilda Festival every year. (So lets not forget the 'fringe benefits' of living next door to that event.)

We can continue to bump along near the bottom, occasionally rising up for a fleeting challenge, but continually with spectre of going under financially. Or...

Return home, and properly leverage the vibe of Melbourne's coolest suburb, Funky Town... no one else, and I mean no one else, can compete with that.

We can end up the best known Australian sporting club... both best known domestically, and best known internationally.

Come on Saints! This is our destiny! Time for action!

(Even everyone's favourite devil's advocate Plugger664JO/RSVP664JO has now embraced our return 'home'. And if I'm misrepresenting you on this, then Pluggs, feel free to correct me. :) ): )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
bigred
Saintsational Legend

They just need to get Docklands sorted.

Which means buying out the current state of affairs.

Princes park is a steaming turd of a ground. Up there with Windy Hill and Victoria Park. I would not attend games there.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:It's a 10 minute walk from Windsor station.
Not to mention, there are trams going down Fitzroy Street and St.Kilda Road (2 minute walk away).

I think if they were to develop the JO into a "boutique stadium" they would most likely have to figure out the logistics for more adequate parking.
bigred wrote:They just need to get Docklands sorted.

Which means buying out the current state of affairs.

Princes park is a steaming turd of a ground. Up there with Windy Hill and Victoria Park. I would not attend games there.
I actually don't mind the idea of it used for when Melbourne-based teams play interstate teams. I would welcome a change of scenery ever now and then. I find going to Docklands all the time a little monotonous. But that's just me.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Playon
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I don't want to use the word 'boutique' so I wont.

How would Moorabbin be for us and the Demons to play a few home games at? Both us and the Dees could play 3-5 homes games per year at Moorabbin against interstate opposition.
Well were not the only ones to ask the question, it was put to Richo in his presser the other day about playing some Nab cup games at Moorabbin.

Could be a pathway for future development. I don't know how many Moorabbin would hold in its completed state but it wouldnt be far fetched to get funding for an additional stadium in the future, how far? and will it ever happen? It cant be ruled out. Not all funding goes to Melbourne counciled areas.

Get some nab cup games there to start, and turn up, full house