Port Adelaide - who's in the 22

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Port Adelaide - who's in the 22

Round 1 Sunday, March 27 PORT v STK St AO 2:50pm A Host TV Network: SEVEN

Forecast: Sunday 27 March Adelaide area Summary Min 16 Max 27 Possible shower. Possible rainfall: 0 to 0.2 mm Chance of any rain: 30%

Now we've seen some exposed form in the praccie games are done and dusted what's everyone's thoughts about who should be in the 22 for Sunday?

It's going to be warm. I don't think Gresham will be in - needs more fitness and too tough a assignment for your debut. Not sure about the fitness of Longer and McCartin. They might err on the safe side and leave them out. Not sure about Goddards fitness either - sounds like the heatstroke put him behind the eightball. In that case I think Lee could come in as he can play back or the third forward with Hickey the main ruck. Alternatively they could play Hickey forward with Holmes elevated and doing the main ruck. Not sure about Sinclair's fitness either. If fit I would have thought he would still be a good chance at being in the 22 based on his form last year even if as Tony has said they want him to work on the defensive side of his game.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Port Adelaide - who's in the 22

I reckon you start with the 24 from the Melbourne game, and go from there.

Tom Hickey, Jack Steven, Shane Savage, Seb Ross, Luke Dunstan, Blake Acres, Leigh Montagna, Nick Riewoldt, Jack Lonie, Jarryn Geary, Jack Billings, Jack Newnes, Dylan Roberton, Sam Gilbert, David Armitage, Jade Gresham, Sean Dempster, Sam Fisher, Josh Bruce, Tim Membrey, Jimmy Webster, Nathan Wright, Maverick Weller, Jason Holmes.

By the way the rotations were going, Holmes and Gresham sat out the first half, and Acres looked like he was sitting out the 2nd half until a couple of guys went down (Roo etc.), so they start as the one's most likely to miss. They become 24, 23 and 22 in that list.

Add to that Membury and Wright who are probably the next in line to miss. I thought Wright was OK against the Dees, butchered the footy but looked a much more threatening defender than he had previously. Membury was barely sighted, and had a shocker. They are 21 and 20 in the squad.

Lee and Longer are the obvious one who missed the NAB challenge game and could come in. Longer if he's fit enough, and Lee if the matchups suit. I reckon they will give Longer another week in the VFL, and Lee will come in.

Gresham and Membury will play a full game in the VFL out of that 24 man squad, and Lee will come in for either Wright or Acres.

Goddard, McCartin and Sinclair need some good form in the VFL before consideration.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think Lee will get a run as a forward, or swing down back, as if Bruce doesn't get in the goals, then it looks very thin in scoring ability, and Membrey is either not ready yet, or just had a bad day against the Ds. I thought our midfield looked slow against he Ds, so I think a bit of leg speed might be added. I thought Curren looked ok against North, and I still reckon he has something to offer. Sinclair looks great but I'm thinking he is a bit lazy and wants the ball to come to him, and probably Richo wants him to work a bit harder?

What's happening with Minch at the moment?

Stian
Club Player

When is the club required to name the upgraded rookie to replace Carlisle? Is there any time limit at all??

longtimesaint
Club Player

Stian wrote:When is the club required to name the upgraded rookie to replace Carlisle? Is there any time limit at all??
They have said there is no time limit on upgrading rookie.

One year will be our year
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Stian wrote:When is the club required to name the upgraded rookie to replace Carlisle? Is there any time limit at all??
There is no need to name anyone untill someone can show that they are a better playing option than available first 22 players.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Sinclair looks great but I'm thinking he is a bit lazy and wants the ball to come to him, and probably Richo wants him to work a bit harder?
According to Tony74 the coaches want Sinclair to work on his defensive side of his game which they believe is lacking.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:I reckon you start with the 24 from the Melbourne game, and go from there.

Tom Hickey, Jack Steven, Shane Savage, Seb Ross, Luke Dunstan, Blake Acres, Leigh Montagna, Nick Riewoldt, Jack Lonie, Jarryn Geary, Jack Billings, Jack Newnes, Dylan Roberton, Sam Gilbert, David Armitage, Jade Gresham, Sean Dempster, Sam Fisher, Josh Bruce, Tim Membrey, Jimmy Webster, Nathan Wright, Maverick Weller, Jason Holmes.

By the way the rotations were going, Holmes and Gresham sat out the first half, and Acres looked like he was sitting out the 2nd half until a couple of guys went down (Roo etc.), so they start as the one's most likely to miss. They become 24, 23 and 22 in that list.

Add to that Membury and Wright who are probably the next in line to miss. I thought Wright was OK against the Dees, butchered the footy but looked a much more threatening defender than he had previously. Membury was barely sighted, and had a shocker. They are 21 and 20 in the squad.

Lee and Longer are the obvious one who missed the NAB challenge game and could come in. Longer if he's fit enough, and Lee if the matchups suit. I reckon they will give Longer another week in the VFL, and Lee will come in.

Gresham and Membury will play a full game in the VFL out of that 24 man squad, and Lee will come in for either Wright or Acres.

Goddard, McCartin and Sinclair need some good form in the VFL before consideration.

Apart from Billings and a cameo from Bruce we looked pretty awful for much of the Dees game. Though some like Ross had solid efforts. HO's was one of the few things we won.

Webster's kicking was dismal, Dempster looked most un-Dempterish, Roo looked lost in his new role, Weller just could not get into the game etc etc.

So selection this week will be based I don't know on what criteria. Perhaps more on hope than any shown form.

Bruce needs another big forward if Roo is to play up the ground.

Midfield needs some class, but we do not have enough of it.

Let's hope that this week that we can shake off te huge amount of rust that was shown in ur two practice games.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I think Lee will get a run as a forward, or swing down back, as if Bruce doesn't get in the goals, then it looks very thin in scoring ability, and Membrey is either not ready yet, or just had a bad day against the Ds. I thought our midfield looked slow against he Ds, so I think a bit of leg speed might be added. I thought Curren looked ok against North, and I still reckon he has something to offer. Sinclair looks great but I'm thinking he is a bit lazy and wants the ball to come to him, and probably Richo wants him to work a bit harder?

What's happening with Minch at the moment?
I think Minch played the North game. He's so small and dark he's hard to spot - that's half his problem. Like Curren and Saunders, he'll just have to string together some good games in the VFL and when he gets a shot at the big show again grab it with everything he's got if he's to make it past this year. This will be his fourth year so needs to make it happen. If McCartin doesn't play then Rooey will almost certainly play forward.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I think Lee will get a run as a forward, or swing down back...
I don't think Lee is going to get a run at all this year, barring injuries or miraculous form. unfortunately. would like to see him get an opportunity.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "