No more Grand Final replay

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mooksy
Club Player

No more Grand Final replay

Umpire Andrew stephens must have something to do with this decision. Just driving the dagger through the heart even more. Not bitter or anything of course.

To the top
SS Life Member

Re: No more Grand Final replay

If this is the case, to give consistency with the awarding of Brownlow Medals to those who were not awarded on the "Count back" basis and have now been awarded, the same should apply to Premierships.

How can you have one rule for some and another rule for others?

Typical of the joke the AFL and their Media Head, faunicated moron "executives" are.

And what about the Brownlow Medal being awarded to a drug cheat who played for a Club which was banned from the competition that year?

Are we just to forget that?

If the Melbourne Cup is a dead heat, do they run it again?

And the list goes on and on.

IF a player gets himself up for a Grand Final day appearance on the basis that this is the final game of the season so not being available the next week is of no consequence then you can not re-play drawn Grand Finals.

Extra time both ways may be - but the result is on Grand Final Day - not the week after.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Gee it only took them 5 years to work out how f****** stupid the replay idea is

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Make it retrospective! I have the image of Lenny Hayes sinking to his knees, gutted, having given it all.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

So bloody typical that we're the last club to experience losing a GF replay. Just like we are the last club in a GF to have a ball hitting the post and awarded as a goal against us, without a video review.

Typical St.Kilda luck!
Last edited by Sainternist on Tue 19 Apr 2016 7:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Only at StK

We'd have to be the most tragic (in terms of luck) in sporting competition history

1913 played Fitzroy twice in a row winning the 'prelim' and losing the 'GF'

In 65 top of the ladder. Couldn't get the job done.
71 ahead by 4 goals
78 over the top media driven suspensions cost finals
91 the year of the ridiculous final 6 we lost out
97 lost Everitt and Vidovic in the finals.. Three goals up and Jarman went beserk giving Adelaide a premiership from 5th
2005 we could only be derailed by a raft of injuries... All key defenders injured
2009 toe poke, hit the post, BJ broken collarbone
2010 the bounce of the ball... Last replay

That and tragic career ending injuries to destined stars as a common thing... It's unbelievable what has happened at StK

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Every time I manage to stop the nightmares about the bloody BOUNCE something happens to make them start again. AARRGGGGHHHH!!! :shock:

Always loyal
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We play extra time in 2010

We win premiership

We were finishing all over them

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Except they scored the last goal.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, it's all hypothetical as to how the result would have gone if extra time was played in 2010. The general consensus seems to be we had more momentum, therefore we would have run over the top of them.

But alas, this still brings no comfort to me in the fact we lost two GFs in two years. Gee whiz, I'm not sure I could ever stomach another GF loss. At least not before actually winning one.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What was the i50 trend in the last 15mins

The Saints were all over them in the last q
They were hanging on

That last goal was against the flow, and really was a bit lucky... It came off the pack and fell straight to them, could've gone anywhere off hands

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Yes, it's fair to say, we're due a teeny bit of luck in finals.

In saying that we should never have lost 1971, 4 goals up in the wet, that game still haunts me, as does 2009, should've put that game to bed before half time except for shocking kicking, toe poke should not have come into it

My own track record of attending Saints G.F's is just as bad. Was there in 1965, 1971, 1997, 2009, & 2010 (both games) In 1966, my old man could only secure one standing room ticket so I missed out.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:What was the i50 trend in the last 15mins

They were hanging on

That last goal was against the flow, and really was a bit lucky... It came off the pack and fell straight to them, could've gone anywhere off hands
I agree, was definitely against the run of play

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:What was the i50 trend in the last 15mins

They were hanging on

I agree, was definitely against the run of play

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Yes, it's fair to say, we're due a teeny bit of luck in finals.

In saying that we should never have lost 1971, 4 goals up in the wet, that game still haunts me, as does 2009, should've put that game to bed before half time except for shocking kicking, toe poke should not have come into it

My own track record of attending Saints G.F's is just as bad. Was there in 1965, 1971, 1997, 2009, & 2010 (both games) In 1966, my old man could only secure one standing room ticket so I missed out.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:My own track record of attending Saints G.F's is just as bad. Was there in 1965, 1971, 1997, 2009, & 2010 (both games) In 1966, my old man could only secure one standing room ticket so I missed out.
That was rotten luck you missed out on going in 1966. But in saying that you went to all those other GFs (particularly in '65) begs the question on whether it was you who jinxed us :shock:

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:My own track record of attending Saints G.F's is just as bad. Was there in 1965, 1971, 1997, 2009, & 2010 (both games) In 1966, my old man could only secure one standing room ticket so I missed out.
That was rotten luck you missed out on going in 1966. But in saying that you went to all those other GFs (particularly in '65) begs the question on whether it was you who jinxed us :shock:
Has been mentioned more than once over the years !

George27
Club Player

Stephen Theodore wrote:Yes, it's fair to say, we're due a teeny bit of luck in finals.

I totally agree with you re 1971. Time on third quarter we led 8.9 to 4.5, in the wet ( perfect conditions for your namesake , number 23 Stephen "Grub" Theodore ), but that late third quarter goal by Leon Rice gave them a sniff, and Keddie did the rest. Of course the bitter blow was the injury to John McIntosh in the second semi ( we should have won that too), which really cost us .

I missed 66 too. I am still living off the preseason flags, especially over the Blues in 96 ( which got a run on this forum a few weeks ago).

The 1913 situation ( albeit just a bit before my time ) was bizarre. We beat the minor premiers, yet they got a right to challenge us again . They changed the rule the following year , but our horse had bolted.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Has been mentioned more than once over the years !
Sorry to rub it in mate. I at least know all about missing out on a GF, as I missed out on getting a ticket for the '97 one, as I only had a club membership and not SC membership on top of that. But I couldn't imagine what it would be like missing out on a winning GF. Gee, I hope I don't miss out on that opportunity, should it come around. At the same time, when/if it happens, I really hope you're also there to witness it first hand.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Only at StK

We'd have to be the most tragic (in terms of luck) in sporting competition history

71 ahead by 4 goals
97 lost Everitt and Vidovic in the finals.. Three goals up and Jarman went beserk giving Adelaide a premiership from 5th
2005 we could only be derailed by a raft of injuries... All key defenders injured

That and tragic career ending injuries to destined stars as a common thing... It's unbelievable what has happened at StK
You do realize that if the no more replay came into it in 2010 then, with our luck, we would have lost it.

By the way, extra time is now being played in all finals but what about H&A matches. That is obviously still different to the finals set up? It should all be the same so teams can get used to the extra time thing.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

71 ahead by 4 goals

Throw in the HGH thing with Collingwood in 2010, and that blood procedure thing that Geelong did in 09 to get Chapman back on the field that was banned after that game as well.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

skeptic wrote:

71 ahead by 4 goals

Throw in the HGH thing with Collingwood in 2010, and that blood procedure thing that Geelong did in 09 to get Chapman back on the field that was banned after that game as well.
Exactly. Two months after the 2009 Grand Final WADA banned the practice that allowed Chapman to inject his hamstring with his own filth. He went on to win the Norm Smith medal (despite being equal with Jason Gramm) and kick the winning goal.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Good piece by Rohan Connolly on the despairing "what ifs" of the Saints ...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... ob6wp.html

Always loyal
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:Good piece by Rohan Connolly on the despairing "what ifs" of the Saints ...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... ob6wp.html
Nice of him to spare a thought, but I'm actually tired of the "what ifs". It has all been been gone over and over in all our minds and until the cows came home. Only now the cows can no longer give any more milk. I don't think the "what ifs" will ever be helpful to reflect on when we get another crack. The club can ill afford to dwell in this tragedy and its other tragedies of the past. The culture needs to be turned around 180 degrees. That, of course, all comes through the process of belief. I think the people currently in charge are doing their utmost in getting this gradual transition happening.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, I'm a bit over the boo-hooing too, fits in with the narrative of people like Dermot Brereton and the majority of the media, that we're a cot case that'll never be any good, our successes are luck and far from the norm. I much preferred it when we rose from everyone second favourite team to be one of the most hated teams in history 2009-2010...let's do that again.

Whilst they're part of the subject, it worth noting the Pies have an outstanding list of footballing failures too, but they've risen above them with every successive generation and moved on. I have the feeling with have a generation of players currently that can rise above our past failures too and develop that killer instinct again. Sob stories (of even the recent past) don't help.