Roo about to sign another contract

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Playon
Club Player

Roo about to sign another contract

Heard it on MMM this afternoon, so I guess it will be announced some time soon, Surprised no one has posted anything about it yet, Came on hear to hear comments.

But good on ya Roo, maybe he'll be there for our next flag attempt after all could never rule him out after the way he's playing this year

Playon
Club Player

Re: Roo about to sign another contract

Roo has already mentioned at the start of the year that he intends to be here in 2017

Richos press conference
http://www.saints.com.au/video/2016-05- ... dson-6-may

Join the dots

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-06/s ... on-in-2017
ST KILDA captain Nick Riewoldt has strongly indicated he wants to extend his storied career for another year.

The 33-year-old is contracted to the end of this season, and when asked on Friday night about his future, Riewoldt told Triple M he and his management had had preliminary talks with the Saints.

"But what I can say is that I'm really excited about the club's future and I'm really keen to play on," he said.

"My body's feeling great. A few years ago, I thought I was in a fair bit of trouble straining my knee every week.

"(I'm) just loving the direction of the club. I feel invigorated by the young players."

"I'm loving footy still."

Riewoldt was best afield in last weekend's win over Melbourne, his 304th senior match.

Earlier on Friday, coach Alan Richardson again praised Riewoldt for his form.

He said after the Melbourne game that if the season stopped now, Riewoldt probably had done enough to show he should keep playing.

"There's a lot of boxes that he's already ticked and it's probably really close that he'll make the ultimate call," Richardson said.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Playon
Club Player

Thanks Bratty
I was starting to think no one believed my post :)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Thanks Bratty
I was starting to think no one believed my post :)
I think there was actually a link to a comment earlier in the week- maybe in the thread about Roo-
there certainly have been indications that he seems fit enough-

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Roo has surprised me how well is his playing off the deck. I think playing more onball and higher upl has re-energised him. It must be hard having pressure on your every week to kick a bag, getting frustrated at poor delivery and having defenders whack you in the back of the head all the time. Another concussion this year was a bit of a worry, but if he gets the all clear then no reason not to play another year.

Is he on a million or something like that? I know a big chunk of that goes on the vets list. It's not a huge issue at the moment as we have space in our cap but if we want to land a big FA then he might need to look at a pay cut.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

"getting frustrated at poor delivery"

Did he react and berate his mates like BJ or Dal when they gave poor delivery? Does Roo treat Joey the same way he treats the other players in the team when Joey kicks it over his head. I love Roo and how he represents the Saints but his captaincy is not perfect, although in the last couple of years under Richo it has improved a lot. Just proves he is human after all.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

Scollop wrote:"getting frustrated at poor delivery"

Did he react and berate his mates like BJ or Dal when they gave poor delivery? Does Roo treat Joey the same way he treats the other players in the team when Joey kicks it over his head. I love Roo and how he represents the Saints but his captaincy is not perfect, although in the last couple of years under Richo it has improved a lot. Just proves he is human after all.
he has blown up over the years at BJ Dal and Joey, maybe not as often. Its a frustration caused by passion for what he does. Id be more worried if he didn't do it. The day that happens we know he's retiring.

In recent years i think he has had reason to blow up a little at the delivery, even at times this year(bulldogs game anybody?? 4 times go forward little pressure, 4 times turn it over for goal at other end) . its not just by foot either. the amount of times a clean handball 5M(after a block has created time and space) = a centre clearance to an open forward line, yet we miss the target by 3m and it gets turned over and banged down the other end.

i think however he has also toned it down a lot this year due to the fact he is playing down the field and has made some mistakes going forward.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You're right on many fronts and Roo himself is guilty of some shocking passes this year that have turned into turnovers.

Regarding the embracing of new players at the club and helping youngsters feel like they are valued team members and feel like they belong...I'm not sure when Roo started inviting Saints draftees down to Tassie, but I think that has also helped his attitude and his captaincy

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What's wrong with demanding high standards and driving expectations?!

This bulls*** about not being able to have a go at professional footballers not delivering basics skills is pathetic. These precious supporters and players who need sensitivity are soft.
It's a tough mans game, if you cannot handle some criticism... Don't play, definitely don't put your hand out for a 200k pay cheque.

Roo is one bloke who can criticise
Because he delivers

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Tools on Big Footy have a rolling AA team going each week.

LMFAO that Roo isn't in it.

Playon
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:Roo has surprised me how well is his playing off the deck. I think playing more onball and higher upl has re-energised him. It must be hard having pressure on your every week to kick a bag, getting frustrated at poor delivery and having defenders whack you in the back of the head all the time. Another concussion this year was a bit of a worry, but if he gets the all clear then no reason not to play another year.

Is he on a million or something like that? I know a big chunk of that goes on the vets list. It's not a huge issue at the moment as we have space in our cap but if we want to land a big FA then he might need to look at a pay cut.
Well from what he's said its the young blokes that have driven him, new exciting team etc.

I believe he took a salary cut not long ago perhaps after 2014, cant tell you how much, I dont remember