Fremantle Round 10

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Fremantle Round 10

Pearce - broken tibia
Mundy - Calf
Dawson - possible suspension
Clarke - injured?

Add to this Sandilands, Fyfe and Morabito still on the sidelines.

I thought yesterday was a step in the right direction for us. When you lose a game by 100 points, a win the next week of any description is the cure for all ills.

How do we think we'll go playing a winless Freo over here? To me they didn't look too desperate on Saturday night, which is kind of odd for a side approaching round 10 without a win - especially a side which has been remarkably consistently winning for four years. I know after us they have winnable ones so maybe they are setting their sights on those, but I really have no expectations as to how Freo will come out on Saturday evening. Even by the way Ross is speaking it seems the team is taking a laid back, low-key approach to this season.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
stkfc1
Club Player

Re: Fremantle Round 10

Id be happy with a 100+ flogging of them just quietly. Really, with the outs they have, we should put them to the sword. It will hopefully be another confidence booster for our new look forward line.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

They were woeful from the start of the season with a full list and they're woeful now. I don't think they're tanking, but i think ross is happy for everyone to think they are, to cover up just how far his team and gameplan has crashed.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

I'm not expecting this will be easy, they did play in the Grand Final last year. They can't be that bad.

We shouldn't get too confident.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:I'm not expecting this will be easy, they did play in the Grand Final last year. They can't be that bad.

That would be news to the Weagle boys, and Lyon too.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I hope that afterwards we can say: "This is how you do a rebuild, Ro$$co."

But we shouldn't by any means expect it to be easy. Lots of hardened footballers in there and masterminded by the evil genius of AFL coaches.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

RL out, bruised game plan.
LLLLoLLLLL

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Smash them by a hundred

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It will not be an easy match, but after yesterday's confidence booster, we should roll them. The "big three" on the forward line took a major step yesterday and as a mini-team, they should gel even better.

It's nice going to the footy with very positive expectations for a win - not just hoping to play well.

Superboot
SS Life Member

Games like this are always a huge worry. If you accept the simple premise that Freo have to win some time, it follows that the longer they go on losing the more likely they are to win the next game.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If we are seriously improved then we should win and there are no excuses for losing this game.

Freo are out of form and are decimated by injury and will probably have Zac suspended as well. They will not have one decent experienced tall defender available.
Whereas we basically will have a full list to choose from apart from Freeman.

This is the type of game that we simply cannot afford to lose. We will see how committed our players are next week.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:They were woeful from the start of the season with a full list and they're woeful now. I don't think they're tanking, but i think ross is happy for everyone to think they are, to cover up just how far his team and gameplan has crashed.
yes
very good point .

I think with his game plan the players have to buy into it to get the results , once doubts creep in it doesn't stand up .
I think this is part of the reason why he left us , he was smart enough to see that the players were losing that belief . if he had stayed on , the teams demise would only hurt his chances of being a career coach , which is what he has called himself many times .

In red white and black from 73
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Neale and Walters are pretty much their only dangerous players at the moment. They have zero AFL-quality talls available to play and we should massively exploit that. I do think Hickey is cooked so either Holmes or Longer should get a gig, since Pierce wouldn't be ready to shoulder the ruck all by himself and we'd be too slow up forward if we carried an extra ruck there. Gilbert has been shocking for the past two weeks but had a good start to the season so gets another shot. Lonie and Acres to build into some form at Sandy before a recall.

We should really win this by 10+ goals. Paddy to kick 5.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Superboot wrote:Games like this are always a huge worry. If you accept the simple premise that Freo have to win some time, it follows that the longer they go on losing the more likely they are to win the next game.
Except happily this is mathematically very wrong. Like thinking if you've tossed a coin and it's come up heads 9 times, the 10th time it's more likely to be tails. Er - no. Unless you've got a dodgy coin, the odds of tails are 50:50 exactly the same as they were the first time.

And hopefully our odds against Freo'll be a bit better than that!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Neale and Walters are pretty much their only dangerous players at the moment. They have zero AFL-quality talls available to play and we should massively exploit that. I do think Hickey is cooked so either Holmes or Longer should get a gig, since Pierce wouldn't be ready to shoulder the ruck all by himself and we'd be too slow up forward if we carried an extra ruck there. Gilbert has been shocking for the past two weeks but had a good start to the season so gets another shot. Lonie and Acres to build into some form at Sandy before a recall.

We should really win this by 10+ goals. Paddy to kick 5.
Out: Hickey (cooked)? I don't think so. Maybe rotate Bruce and Paddy through the ruck more often to give him a bit of a breather. His season's been fantastic by and large.

Superboot
SS Life Member

freely wrote:
Superboot wrote:Games like this are always a huge worry. If you accept the simple premise that Freo have to win some time, it follows that the longer they go on losing the more likely they are to win the next game.
Except happily this is mathematically very wrong. Like thinking if you've tossed a coin and it's come up heads 9 times, the 10th time it's more likely to be tails. Er - no. Unless you've got a dodgy coin, the odds of tails are 50:50 exactly the same as they were the first time.

And hopefully our odds against Freo'll be a bit better than that!
Yes, you're probably right, except that the coin isn't trying to achieve a particular outcome, and consecutive footy games aren't really independent events :)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see Sinclair in. He's a future A-grader, but who goes out to get him in? Come to think of it I'd like to see Acres and Lonie in but same problem there

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Out: Hickey (cooked)? I don't think so. Maybe rotate Bruce and Paddy through the ruck more often to give him a bit of a breather. His season's been fantastic by and large.
When I say cooked I mean he needs a week's rest. He has been excellent this year but it's been an unprecedented workload for him - he's rarely played as the number one ruck let alone the only ruck for 9 weeks straight. No way should we be using Paddy in the ruck - he contested one centre bounce because both Hickey and Bruce were off the ground and Roo was actually running into the centre to ruck before Paddy volunteered. I think Bruce's game suffers when he's forced to ruck as well.

Before we brought Paddy and Membrey in I would've suggested using Pierce as a second ruck/third forward, but our forward line is too stacked to carry an extra ruck now so I think we could trust Holmes to battle away and give a contest against Griffin this week. I wouldn't trust Pierce's frame and tank to go at it alone, Holmes can shown he can handle it though.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

140 would be good with Paddy kicking 10

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Out: Hickey (cooked)? I don't think so. Maybe rotate Bruce and Paddy through the ruck more often to give him a bit of a breather. His season's been fantastic by and large.
When I say cooked I mean he needs a week's rest. He has been excellent this year but it's been an unprecedented workload for him - he's rarely played as the number one ruck let alone the only ruck for 9 weeks straight. No way should we be using Paddy in the ruck - he contested one centre bounce because both Hickey and Bruce were off the ground and Roo was actually running into the centre to ruck before Paddy volunteered. I think Bruce's game suffers when he's forced to ruck as well.

Before we brought Paddy and Membrey in I would've suggested using Pierce as a second ruck/third forward, but our forward line is too stacked to carry an extra ruck now so I think we could trust Holmes to battle away and give a contest against Griffin this week. I wouldn't trust Pierce's frame and tank to go at it alone, Holmes can shown he can handle it though.
Maybe ask Hickey if he think he's cooked and if he says, "stick a fork in me" then give him the week off. Otherwise, he's earned the No. 1 ruck spot and should keep it.

As for Paddy taking the occasional ruck duel, why not? He's a big bloke with good leap and uses his body well. He's also trying to increase his tank so it might be useful for him in that sense.

I was hoping the interchange cap would see a trend towards two ruckmen as to go all day is a very taxing gig, as you point out. But also, as you point out, the forward line is looking tall enough already without a resting ruck. So regrettably, someone - probably Bruce or Paddy - has to lend a hand

darylcowie
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:Pearce - broken tibia
Mundy - Calf
Dawson - possible suspension
Clarke - injured?

Add to this Sandilands, Fyfe and Morabito still on the sidelines.

I thought yesterday was a step in the right direction for us. When you lose a game by 100 points, a win the next week of any description is the cure for all ills.

How do we think we'll go playing a winless Freo over here? To me they didn't look too desperate on Saturday night, which is kind of odd for a side approaching round 10 without a win - especially a side which has been remarkably consistently winning for four years. I know after us they have winnable ones so maybe they are setting their sights on those, but I really have no expectations as to how Freo will come out on Saturday evening. Even by the way Ross is speaking it seems the team is taking a laid back, low-key approach to this season.
I saw Freo play for the first time this season on Saturday night and I thought they "brought great effort", but no matter how hard they tried to make things happen, their skill level was deplorable (even worse than ours in the first half yesterday!), so I can't see them beating us particularly with so many of their talls unavailable.

I don't think we will thrash them, because Freo rarely get thrashed due to their defensive game style, but they will struggle to kick 10 goals, which won't be a winning score under the roof at Etihad.

I have to hand it to Lyon though, because he is actually playing some kids in their midfield and he will have to play another one this week with Mundy out, unless he goes back to playing Barlow, who has been tearing it up in the WAFL.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
carn_sainter
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:

Maybe ask Hickey if he think he's cooked and if he says, "stick a fork in me" then give him the week off. Otherwise, he's earned the No. 1 ruck spot and should keep it.

As for Paddy taking the occasional ruck duel, why not? He's a big bloke with good leap and uses his body well. He's also trying to increase his tank so it might be useful for him in that sense.

I was hoping the interchange cap would see a trend towards two ruckmen as to go all day is a very taxing gig, as you point out. But also, as you point out, the forward line is looking tall enough already without a resting ruck. So regrettably, someone - probably Bruce or Paddy - has to lend a hand
I agree. Hickey has been excellent but has been doing a lot of work...he almost surely is banged up a little bit and I think there cold be value in giving him a week off.

McCartin doesn't have the tank to play as a ruckman. Bruce has a massive tank and much higher work capacity so he can ruck about 40% of the game but it is not ideal since he is not a ruckman...if Hickey needs a week off then we bring in Pierce or Holmes I guess. I'd be equally interested in them both.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Dawson cleared

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:I'm not expecting this will be easy, they did play in the Grand Final last year. They can't be that bad.

Went out in straight sets last year

#1 Ryder fan
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

if we start like we did against the drug cheats we will get done.