Beside the Seaside, Beside the Sea

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Beside the Seaside, Beside the Sea

As much as I love 'Oh when the Saints go marching in', it can become a wee bit monotonous. Perhaps it's because there just isn't quite enough lyrically to sustain the interest for terribly long. Don't get me wrong, I still love singing it and it's great we have a song based on an original jazz classic. It's just it'd be nice to have something extra to sing. Why not bring back the club's first song to add to the repertoire? Not only is it a jolly fun tune to sing. It's also very tuneful, with just the right amount of words for people to memorise. It also has a good feeling of freshness and optimism to it, which seems ideal, considering where the club is currently at. It would be great to bring back, particularly with the move back to Moorabbin in the pipes. If a rendition was recorded, they could change the word "Junction" in the song to "Moorabbin", no problem. Just so long as they got a good jazz ensemble together and a decent singer who doesn't sing it in that wimpy, warbling "R&B" style. Traditional jazz style would be best suited, or similar to the one on the recording.

Our good friend at Saintsational, McAdam, has it on his youtube channel. It's a recording from an old gramophone 45 record:

Here's the version from the HEAVEN & HELL dvd many of you may be familiar with:

Start by learning the words. It'll be fun!

Oh I do like to be beside the Seaside
Oh I do like to be beside the Sea
And down at Moorabbin there's a football ground
And that's where the Saints all hang around

So let's give three cheers for old St.Kilda
For this year the premiers they may be

Though it's not yet in the bag; We've got hopes of winning the flag
Beside the Seaside, beside the sea
(x 2)

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Beside the Seaside, Beside the Sea

Bit dreary...reminds me of Carlton's 'Lily of Laguna'.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin by the seaside? Agree with the sentiment. Give us an extra verse of the saints go marching in. One of the best tunes of all time, let alone football club songs.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

When that was our theme song, we were known as the Seagulls. Hardly awe inspiring. Stick with thee Saints and When the Saints Come Marching In.
It was alright when we had a black back as we have today and we were known as the Panthers.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

How good would be with the team running onto the ground to the tune of Motorheads " Ace of spades !"

Just change the lyrics slighty

" If you like to gamble baby
I tell you i'm your man
You win some
You lose some
It's all the same to me
The pleasure is to play , makes no difference what you say
I don't share your greed , the only card I need
The Saints are Ace
The Saints are Ace . "

In red white and black from 73
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:How good would be with the team running onto the ground to the tune of Motorheads " Ace of spades !"
Yeah a legendary song, but by changing the lyrics to it would mean that it wouldn't be performed by Motorhead. Only Motorhead can play that song. Accept no cheap imitations! But I don't see the harm in it being played whilst the Saints are warming up. Better than hearing wimpy rubbish like Coldplay being played.
borderbarry wrote:Stick with thee Saints and When the Saints Come Marching In.
Without question! Will definitely stick with it. I just don't see the harm in adding something else. The more songs to sing the merrier!
White Winmar wrote:Moorabbin by the seaside? Agree with the sentiment. Give us an extra verse of the saints go marching in.
It's close enough to the seaside. Or you could sing Docklands, too. That Southern Saints song in 1986 had a couple of extra verses, but it never really caught on.
degruch wrote:Bit dreary...reminds me of Carlton's 'Lily of Laguna'.
That's why you revamp it. As I said, it's a jolly fun tune to sing.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Actually, Bruce Eva and his mates used to sing it all the time...it sounded great when sung enthusiastically...not dreary at all.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
Though it's not yet in the bag; We've got hopes of winning the flag
I like the modest expectations. Very St Kilda-ish.

Sort of a total antithesis of lines such as "oh the premiership's a cakewalk" :|

howlinwolf
Club Player

I like the Mike Brady written, Doug Parkinson sung..

We're Saints,we're proud and we've gotta lot of fight
We're on the move and they'll feel our might
We'll hit 'em nice and hard, make them drop their guard
We're loyal to our mates 'cause we're the Saints.

Follow that with Oh when the saints and it's pretty good I reckon.

You can hear it as the intro to the Saints disco pod cast.

https://soundcloud.com/saints-disco

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

White Winmar wrote:Moorabbin by the seaside? Agree with the sentiment. Give us an extra verse of the saints go marching in. One of the best tunes of all time, let alone football club songs.

Sea level rises, land subsidence? Just looking to the future! :D

Saint supporter since '62
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:I like the Mike Brady written, Doug Parkinson sung..

We're Saints,we're proud and we've gotta lot of fight
We're on the move and they'll feel our might
We'll hit 'em nice and hard, make them drop their guard
We're loyal to our mates 'cause we're the Saints.

Follow that with Oh when the saints and it's pretty good I reckon.

You can hear it as the intro to the Saints disco pod cast.

https://soundcloud.com/saints-disco
Yeah, nah. Love Doug Parkinson, but that's not the song. Prefer some Howlinwolf actually!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I agree with howlinwolf that the Moorabbin song is the best and, I think, really adds to the "Oh when the saints go marching in" lyrics.

See thread for the complete song: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90892

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:Actually, Bruce Eva and his mates used to sing it all the time...it sounded great when sung enthusiastically...not dreary at all.
There you go! Good call, Satch!

The Southern Saints song is good, but just sounds a little dated now. No one sung along with it when they used from 1986 to around 1990.

farquhar
Club Player

Change the lyric from Down at moorabbin to

Down by the bay

It works for Seaford, Sandringham zebras, Moorabbin and Docklands.

Lock it in Eddie. Sorry, wrong team.

Time for goal-kicking practice
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

farquhar wrote:Change the lyric from Down at moorabbin to

Down by the bay

It works for Seaford, Sandringham zebras, Moorabbin and Docklands.

Lock it in Eddie. Sorry, wrong team.
Geez, maybe there's no need to change the original lyrics at all, as a nod of respect to the old ground and the club's history. It sounds great as "Juntion". I know we are no longer based there (and most likely will never move back), but our history still belongs there.

StPeter
Club Player

I can vaguely remember the club song being changed to words to the tune of the chorus of "Stout Hearted Men" for a year or so maybe back in the 1960's.

I can't remember the words except the opening-

"We are the Saints we're the stout hearted Saints

I think this is a much more stiring tune than Beside the Seaside.

loris
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote:I can vaguely remember the club song being changed to words to the tune of the chorus of "Stout Hearted Men" for a year or so maybe back in the 1960's.

I can't remember the words except the opening-

"We are the Saints we're the stout hearted Saints

I think this is a much more stiring tune than Beside the Seaside.
Oh StPeter, you bring memories flooding back of that tune and the Saints.

I thought it was more in the late 1950's it was mooted as bringing it in as our theme song - though you may be correct and it was the 1960's.

I can recall being at a Saints gala concert/awards night - wasn't called best and fairest them, there days. Not certain if it was held at the Palais in St Kilda or the St Kilda Town Hall ( they used to alternate between those 2 venues). This evening Les Foote, gave a rendition of 'Stout Hearted Men', that was substituted with appropriate St Kilda Football Club wording. He had a backing group of about 3 players, can't recall who they were though - 'twas so, so long ago. It was a very rousing rendition, and really had the audience singing along.

Les Foote was not only a smooth, flashy footballer. He also had a magnificent singing voice. I remember him, that evening crooning 'Blue Moon'- ah Les Foote was the ladies favourite!

Thanks also StPeter for the link to Gordon MacCrae - he was an old fav of mine many moons ago. I'll have to go and dust off my old vinyl record collection and relive his fabulous voice........... it will be nice to warm the cockles of one's soul on a wintery day.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
I can recall being at a Saints gala concert/awards night - wasn't called best and fairest them, there days. Not certain if it was held at the Palais in St Kilda or the St Kilda Town Hall ( they used to alternate between those 2 venues). This evening Les Foote, gave a rendition of 'Stout Hearted Men', that was substituted with appropriate St Kilda Football Club wording. He had a backing group of about 3 players, can't recall who they were though - 'twas so, so long ago. It was a very rousing rendition, and really had the audience singing along.

Les Foote was not only a smooth, flashy footballer. He also had a magnificent singing voice. I remember him, that evening crooning 'Blue Moon'- ah Les Foote was the ladies favourite!
Great story, Loris!

Thanks to both you and St.Peter for bringing this to my attention. Would love to find the words to it, or an audio recording (if one actually exists). Basically, I'm looking for more old songs to sing with my mates at the footy.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist. Les Foote played as captain-coach for Saints 1954/5. He was the Darryl Baldock of the VFL, before Dazzling Darryl came on the scene ofcourse.

So obviously the Saints were toying with the idea of using the Stout Hearted Men tune in the era Foote played with us, 54/55.

They may have rejuvenated the idea of taking it up in the 1960's but I can't recall that.

I just have the image of Les Foote on stage, with three other Saints as his back up chorus, marching as they sung- the audience/ supporters joined in stamping their feet on the wooden floorboards in 2 beat march time. It was really stirring stuff, especially for an impressionable kid like me as I would have been 10 or 11 years old then.

It was a very popular tune, often played in music halls to stir the masses up! Sounds fabulous when done by a male choir.
I must search through 'you tube' and see if a group such as the Welsh Male Choir have done a version.

I'm sure your Sainternist Choir would do it justice at games - just need the substituted words to make it Saintly!!!!!

my les foote
Club Player

My Les Foote likes this thread.

Win it for HIM!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Sainternist. Les Foote played as captain-coach for Saints 1954/5. He was the Darryl Baldock of the VFL, before Dazzling Darryl came on the scene ofcourse.

So obviously the Saints were toying with the idea of using the Stout Hearted Men tune in the era Foote played with us, 54/55.

They may have rejuvenated the idea of taking it up in the 1960's but I can't recall that.

I just have the image of Les Foote on stage, with three other Saints as his back up chorus, marching as they sung- the audience/ supporters joined in stamping their feet on the wooden floorboards in 2 beat march time. It was really stirring stuff, especially for an impressionable kid like me as I would have been 10 or 11 years old then.

It was a very popular tune, often played in music halls to stir the masses up! Sounds fabulous when done by a male choir.
I must search through 'you tube' and see if a group such as the Welsh Male Choir have done a version.

I'm sure your Sainternist Choir would do it justice at games - just need the substituted words to make it Saintly!!!!!
Great stuff, Loris! Wish I was there to hear it myself. Love the song. Would be a jolly fun tune to sing.

Loris, if you listen to this audio recording of the after match interviews from the 66 GF in the dressing room, you can hear the boys sing it whilst they speak with Doc (around 3:50). Would love to get the lyrics for it. I'm sure someone might be able to help me out with it: