Untouchables under 23- are they right

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Untouchables under 23- are they right

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-27/t ... -playersSt Kilda
The club is building for a sustained run at finals over the next few years. The younger brigade is having greater influence over the side's fortunes this season, and keeping the promising talent together will be crucial if this team is to eventually challenge for a flag.

Paddy McCartin
The key forward has presence rarely seen among 20-year-olds. Although repeated concussions means there is some cause for concern, his marking ability and conversion in front of goal makes him the most promising player on St Kilda's list. Contracted until the end of 2018.

Jack Billings
St Kilda's forwards must love when the 20-year-old has the football, because Billings' left boot rarely fails. Contracted until the end of 2017.

Jade Gresham
The 18-year-old has already established himself as the club's best small forward. Quick, tough, fancy footwork, leadership, efficient disposal – Gresham has it all. Contracted until the end of 2017. - Dinny Navaratnam
who are the untouchables 23 +?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Untouchables under 23- are they right

I wish they'd stop pigeon-holing Gresham as a small forward. He's better than that, a future star midfielder.

As for McClunkin, we've had a glimpse of what he can be. Absolute gun if he can stop being ko'd.

The author obviously doesn't have much of a clue, though, as Paddy's conversion has been so-so and Billings left foot has let him down frequently this season. He needs to work on his technique and confidence with it.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 27 Jul 2016 12:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I would've had Membrey on that list - as a +1 though - not at the expense of the three named (feel certain billings will come good).

one point
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:I wish they'd stop pigeon-holing Gresham as a small forward. He's better than that, a future star midfielder.

As for McClunkin, we've had a glimpse of what he can be. Absolute gun if he can stop being ko'd.

The author obviously doesn't have much of a clue, though, as Paddy's conversion has been so-so and Billings left foot has let him down frequently this season. He needs to work on his technique and confidence with it.
I have a feeling the issue with Bilings is his shin rather than his technique. He seems to avoid long kicks whenever possible and has no power through the ball when forced to kick long

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Hmm that list of all clubs is a pretty impressive bunch of youngsters....would love to see a Under 23's vs The Rest rep game after Round 23. And great to see the other under 23's on our list that don't make the Top 3 - Membrey, Dunstan, Goddard, Acres are all gonna be important players for us in the next decade.

As far as 23+ goes, if we were sticking to 3 I'd have Seb Ross, and a pair of Jacks (Steven & Newnes). But geez, there's half a dozen more that could easily be untouchable (Mav, Hickey, Carlisle, Bruce, Gears etc.)

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Billings will come good. He's all class. His confidence has taken a huge hit, with injuries affecting him. He was a bit injury prone in his junior days, so no doubt there'd be an aspect of psychological factors affecting him when he's been hurt. He is just the type we need to become what he can. Some on here forget how good he was early on. You don't lose ability. You can lose confidence. As for Paddy, he has never been a deadly kick for goal, even in his junior days. He's good, but no plugger in that regard. Still, there's a huge amount of development left in Paddy. He'll be a gun, for sure, but prepare yourselves for some frustration in the goal kicking department. He'll be a bit like Roo. Good most of the time, with a frustrating miss here and there.
I think the author is right, though. Gresham, Billings and Paddy are our three untouchables, as all are potential superstars. Honourable mentions to Tim Membrey and Luke Dunstan.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Billings will come good. He's all class. His confidence has taken a huge hit, with injuries affecting him. He was a bit injury prone in his junior days, so no doubt there'd be an aspect of psychological factors affecting him when he's been hurt. He is just the type we need to become what he can. Some on here forget how good he was early on. You don't lose ability. You can lose confidence. As for Paddy, he has never been a deadly kick for goal, even in his junior days. He's good, but no plugger in that regard. Still, there's a huge amount of development left in Paddy. He'll be a gun, for sure, but prepare yourselves for some frustration in the goal kicking department. He'll be a bit like Roo. Good most of the time, with a frustrating miss here and there.
I think the author is right, though. Gresham, Billings and Paddy are our three untouchables, as all are potential superstars. Honourable mentions to Tim Membrey and Luke Dunstan.
I hope they're working on Paddy's kicking technique and mechanics. In fact that goes for anyone who's expected to kick goals. As a keen golfer I'm a big believer that these things can be improved upon by hard work. ie, that you are not stuck with a dodgy, inconsistent strike on the ball if you can get the mechanics right.

Of course, pressure comes into it, but it is possible to pressure-proof your golf swing ... to a point.

Saying that, I recently saw Ernie Els miss a 2 foot putt by 2 feet.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Indeed, bigcarl. If you practice a faulty technique incessantly, you'll only become proficient at being inefficient. Many junior guns, and Paddy was definitely one of those, get away with minor faults because they're so far ahead of the pack in general. Paddy needs, and is getting plenty of assistance. Plugger, Peter McKenna and Ken Judge are the technically "purest" kicks I've seen. Paddy could do worse than get the video footage out of all three. Hudson turned Loewe from a shocking kick into one of the most reliable in the comp. it can be done. Here's hoping.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Winmar
Club Player

They could do worse than to get Winmar to teach them how to kick. His kicking action was the most beautiful thing this side of Monica Bellucci.

happy feet
Club Player

Winmar wrote:They could do worse than to get Winmar to teach them how to kick. His kicking action was the most beautiful thing this side of Monica Bellucci.
Who taught Stewart Lowe to kick. I think it was Peter Hudson that sorted out his problems. Remember what he was like when he first started?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Paddy's current record shooting at goal may not be a stand out but anyone can see the lad knows how to kick a football including a set shot. Indeed I remember it was a key selling point in multiple summaries outlining his strengths as a forward by anyone worthy enough to write an article on him prior to selection night. His initial comfortable first steps remind me of Siposs (who as part of his run up went into a run before kicking the ball where Paddy doesn't).

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

not sure Nicky would be a good choice... he struggles with communication...

why do you think that because someone is a talent who can kick.. they can teach others how to do so?

if i get Jason Day to teach me how to swing... will I be on the Tour at some stage?

perhaps we get
Loewe to teach them how to mark
Greg William to teach them to handball
Darren Jarman to teach kicking
Gary Ablett to teach them how to be brilliant
Dermott to teach toughness
Gary Lyon to teach leadership

but it doesnt work that way...

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: if i get Jason Day to teach me how to swing... will I be on the Tour at some stage?
no, but you'd likely be a heck of a lot better.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "